[Today at 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[Today at 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[Today at 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Road Ready  (Read 10241 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Road Ready
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2020, 12:50:13 AM »
Score was not deceiving - Seton Hall clearly had better PG, better post players, and was able to adapt in the last part of the first half and all second half (i.e better coach)...

One team is 4 -0 and one team is 1 -3....  which one is way better 

It's crazy how the wojo slurpers will go out of their way to point out to the good  in crap game....

I hope 6ou realize, what i posted was a direct quote from Wojo from the J/S article. That didn't come from me. My comment about Wojo saying the score was deceiving was meant as sarcasm. I am in NO way a wojo slurper.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2020, 12:55:20 AM »
This is silly. Today was game #16 of the season. The season is now over 50% complete. In addition, these guys have been practicing and playing together since the summer due to the European trip.

And, yes, replacing the Hausers wasn't going to happen. Tough crap for Wojo. MU is not the type of program that can afford to watch talent like that just walk out the door.

Practice and playing together cannot simulate big east play.

People also discount injuries to Theo(torn ligament that requires surgery in his dominant hand), Koby(thumb injury shooting hand), Jayce(knee injury), and now Greg(ankle).

I like the honesty though.......

Tough crap for Wojo indeed.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2020, 04:53:31 AM »
My question is, how many years does it take to rebuild the program. I would like to  know so I can manage my expections.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

connie

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2020, 06:26:07 AM »
Props to you for trying to stay positive, but this has gotten silly. Good that they were ready to play a conference game on the road. They fell apart at the finish.  Good (I guess) that we have new recruits coming in to address a glaring team weakness.  I have heard this EVERY year Wojo has been here. By year 6 I kind of expect that he would have guys he recruited to address the weaknesses in the roster he put together. Practice and playing together should help you deal with adjustments opponents may make, or why, exactly, are we practicing at all?  To make sure we have a nice, intricate weave at the start of possessions?  If this is how far we have to go to be positive things may be worse than I thought.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2020, 07:29:44 AM »
I want to go back to touch on my comment about lack of toughness. I don't wanna be the guy who says it was better the way Al did it or the way it was done 40+ years ago.

But there was a very definite reason why Al recruited NYC and Chicago. He wanted the tough city kids who learned their game on the playgrounds. Now we have suburb type guys. Not tough enough. Not willing to do the dirty work. Just play that AAU ball and run up and down the court and play the easy defense with your arms instead of your feet.

I think the complete lack of toughness is the biggest failing of the teams under Wojo.

Agree completely.  Buzz’s success too imo was largely having guys who were
mentally tough, just found ways to make plays when it was needed.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2020, 12:20:07 PM »
I hope 6ou realize, what i posted was a direct quote from Wojo from the J/S article. That didn't come from me. My comment about Wojo saying the score was deceiving was meant as sarcasm. I am in NO way a wojo slurper.
The fact that Wojo would say that the score was deceiving is very scary to me. Makes me wonder if he is able to be honest about his team and changes that need to be made. A loss at SH is not terrible but being dishonest about the game is.

IMO I think we were a bit fortunate to keep it as close as we did.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2020, 12:29:16 PM »
Props to you for trying to stay positive, but this has gotten silly. Good that they were ready to play a conference game on the road. They fell apart at the finish.  Good (I guess) that we have new recruits coming in to address a glaring team weakness.  I have heard this EVERY year Wojo has been here. By year 6 I kind of expect that he would have guys he recruited to address the weaknesses in the roster he put together. Practice and playing together should help you deal with adjustments opponents may make, or why, exactly, are we practicing at all?  To make sure we have a nice, intricate weave at the start of possessions?  If this is how far we have to go to be positive things may be worse than I thought.

Yeah, by year six, all things being equal, the team should look better.

All things are not equal.  Marquette lost Sam and Joey. If they had come back Marquette would have four starters that averaged 30  minutes a game. Now they have two. That doesn't even factor in the quality of the two lost players and their familiarity playing together....aka chemistry.
Marquette now has to find two players or a combination of players to replace them.
Further complicating the problem is the fact that three of the guys that could have helped replace the Hausers production didn't play a single minute  last year, and all three are injured to various degree.

So yeah, all things NOT being equal, Marquette is a less experienced team by far this year, and is still figuring things out as they try to build chemistry while working through injuries.

panda

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2020, 12:31:20 PM »
Yeah, by year six, all things being equal, the team should look better.

All things are not equal.  Marquette lost Sam and Joey. If they had come back Marquette would have four starters that averaged 30  minutes a game. Now they have two. That doesn't even factor in the quality of the two lost players and their familiarity playing together....aka chemistry.
Marquette now has to find two players or a combination of players to replace them.
Further complicating the problem is the fact that three of the guys that could have helped replace the Hausers production didn't play a single minute  last year, and all three are injured to various degree.

So yeah, all things NOT being equal, Marquette is a less experienced team by far this year, and is still figuring things out as they try to build chemistry while working through injuries.

If only Wojo was given fair warning regarding the Hauser’s unhappiness.....

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2020, 12:42:27 PM »
Apparently Michigan State wasn't road ready today to take on Purdue, a team we beat by double digits.   

For those of you not aware....this is called college basketball

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2020, 12:47:03 PM »
Apparently Michigan State wasn't road ready today to take on Purdue, a team we beat by double digits.   

That’s what this is called??  Further proof of your genius.

connie

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2020, 12:48:37 PM »

Classic deflection.  I am pretty certain that even though Sparty is getting poleaxed today that they will re-group and have their stuff together come March.  Now, back to MU.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2020, 12:52:38 PM »

Parity is so much more prevalent in cbb. This year is perfect evidence of that. No team can hold a #1 spot. Arguably some of the most historic and best teams this year had some utterly pathetic losses in non-conference play on their home court.

That’s what this is called??  Further proof of your genius.

The irony of you calling Cheeks a creep is pretty funny. All you have to do is go back and read a handful of your own posts to see what an embarrassment you are to yourself.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2020, 12:55:47 PM »
Parity is so much more prevalent in cbb. This year is perfect evidence of that. No team can hold a #1 spot. Arguably some of the most historic and best teams this year had some utterly pathetic losses in non-conference play on their home court.

The irony of you calling Cheeks a creep is pretty funny. All you have to do is go back and read a handful of your own posts to see what an embarrassment you are to yourself.

Yeah, that makes sense.  Clearly you and cheeks are close. Sorry to rank on you and your grandfather. GTFOH

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2020, 01:03:18 PM »
Classic deflection.  I am pretty certain that even though Sparty is getting poleaxed today that they will re-group and have their stuff together come March.  Now, back to MU.

Probably will considering their talent level, but good to know we beat a team by double digits that just poleaxed Michigan State.  You can call it deflection, I call it real data and something that actually happened.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2020, 01:05:20 PM »

Yep, this has been quite a roller coaster season.  Kansas was routed at home by Baylor yesterday. 

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2020, 01:05:34 PM »

Exactly, and yet Marquette, after losing the Hausers minutes and production, and dealing with injuries, is expected to easily overcome these challenges and replicate last years success or even exceed it. SMH

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2020, 01:09:03 PM »
Yeah, that makes sense.  Clearly you and cheeks are close. Sorry to rank on you and your grandfather. GTFOH

We're close?  I have no idea who he/she is.  Never met the person in my life, but he has nailed one thing...you are an embarrassment.  Even for California, an embarrassment. 

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2020, 01:15:50 PM »
We're close?  I have no idea who he/she is.  Never met the person in my life, but he has nailed one thing...you are an embarrassment.  Even for California, an embarrassment.

Coming from the grandpa arguing with 20 and 30 year olds.  I’ll take that as a compliment.  You are literally nothing more than a fool.  A fool who knows very little about sports.  The truth sometimes hurts papa

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2020, 01:17:18 PM »
Coming from the grandpa arguing with 20 and 30 year olds.  I’ll take that as a compliment.  You are literally nothing more than a fool.  A fool who knows very little about sports.  The truth sometimes hurts papa

Should there be age restrictions placed on who one can interact with on a sports message board?

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2020, 01:18:08 PM »

Now stop embarrassing your son and go do some work in the garden dad.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2020, 01:23:08 PM »
Should there be age restrictions placed on who one can interact with on a sports message board?

Yeah, generally men 55 and older don’t have 5000 posts on a basketball board going back and forth with people who are old enough to call him dad.  Hope that clears it up.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2020, 01:27:39 PM »
Yeah, generally men 55 and older don’t have 5000 posts on a basketball board going back and forth with people who are old enough to call him dad.  Hope that clears it up.
Are you sure of the demographics of the people posting here? I am guessing there are more over 50s than you think and maybe you are the creepy one.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2020, 01:28:46 PM »
Are you sure of the demographics of the people posting here? I am guessing there are more over 50s than you think and maybe you are the creepy one.

Yeah, you are wrong.  On many levels. Keep trying though.  You almost had me. 🙄

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2020, 01:28:51 PM »
Exactly, and yet Marquette, after losing the Hausers minutes and production, and dealing with injuries, is expected to easily overcome these challenges and replicate last years success or even exceed it. SMH

Why do you keep saying we’re “dealing with injuries”?  Yeah, Greg was hurt yesterday, but everyone else was active.  I know Theo and Koby are playing with injured hands, but if they’re suiting up and getting minutes, they should be expected to produce.  And if they can’t, they shouldn’t be playing.

We are not “dealing with injuries” right now, not really.  Greg is a role player.  When Dom James got hurt his senior year, we were dealing with injuries because we were a different team without him.  Ditto Travis the year he got hurt. 

We are not “dealing with injuries” to the point where it’s an excuse for losing.

connie

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2020, 01:39:41 PM »
Probably will considering their talent level, but good to know we beat a team by double digits that just poleaxed Michigan State.  You can call it deflection, I call it real data and something that actually happened.
We can all pull discrete data points.  You make the point to show what, that MU beat PU who beat Mich State, so what, we shouldn't be upset at losing to either Providence or Seton Hall?  You brought up Michigan State, so let's stay there.  Their loss today was FAR less common than our losses to teams like Providence or Seton Hall.    You defend our performance by deflecting to the argument that "good teams sometimes lose". I think good teams lose less often than MU does, which makes us mediocre.  I bet there are lots of upset Sparty fans today, but they know their coach will turn things around. I have no record to base that hope on with Wojo, and 6 years of data to say that hope would be misplaced.

feedback