'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next Season  (Read 15372 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Next Season
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2017, 10:09:27 AM »
Only in the very short term at best.  Howard's growth would have been slowed for sure.  Sam's too.

I disagree on Howard.  Great players make inexperience and mediocre look really good.  He would open up more opportunities for these guys as a team can't key in to limit their strengths.

On Sam I agree as his playing time would be significantly lower if HE was here.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2017, 11:34:39 AM »
Well...had Henry stayed, Reinhardt almost certainly wouldn't be here, and Wally still would. It's an interesting question, as without Henry we are a better rebounding team this year without him than we were last year with him. Would JJ, Haani, and Sam be as effective on the boards if we still had Ellenson in the middle? Would Howard and Rowsey find themselves as many open shots if Ellenson had the ball in his hands?

It's hard to not believe we'd be better with Henry, and I am inclined to think we would be, but it would be a very different team with him still on the roster.

More importantly, we wouldn't be nearly the same 3pt shooting team we are now. Unless Henry significantly improved on his shooting we would feature more interior points and far fewer 3pt shots (no Katin and reduced PT for Sam + mediocre shooting from Henry)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2017, 12:13:22 PM »
More importantly, we wouldn't be nearly the same 3pt shooting team we are now. Unless Henry significantly improved on his shooting we would feature more interior points and far fewer 3pt shots (no Katin and reduced PT for Sam + mediocre shooting from Henry)

I'm also not sure our defense would be any better. That wasn't exactly Henry's strong suit.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2017, 12:18:04 PM »
I'm also not sure our defense would be any better. That wasn't exactly Henry's strong suit.

Can our defense really be materially worse

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2017, 12:20:38 PM »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2017, 12:23:59 PM »
Can our defense really be materially worse

Sure. I mean, haven't Reinhardt and Sam been at least equal or better in that position than Henry was? Though with Henry, we'd probably be more able to run a base zone which some have called for.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2017, 12:54:57 PM »
Speaking of Henry - I am sure he is loving the paycheck and the not having to go to classes thing. But he has played a grand total of 56 NBA minutes this year.  His season high in points is 6 and rebounds is 2.   He has not seen the floor in weeks. 

You have to wonder if deep down he regrets his decision.  He slid out of the lottery on draft day.  He has hardly played all season.  The NBA can chew guys up and spit them out.  At some point, he is going to need a break to get some minutes, or he may find himself out the league in a year or two. 

Not sure staying at college would have helped his long term NBA prospects, but ya just never know.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 01:01:07 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2017, 01:17:47 PM »
Speaking of Henry - I am sure he is loving the paycheck and the not having to go to classes thing. But he has played a grand total of 56 NBA minutes this year.  His season high in points is 6 and rebounds is 2.   He has not seen the floor in weeks. 

You have to wonder if deep down he regrets his decision.  He slid out of the lottery on draft day.  He has hardly played all season.  The NBA can chew guys up and spit them out.  At some point, he is going to need a break to get some minutes, or he may find himself out the league in a year or two. 

Not sure staying at college would have helped his long term NBA prospects, but ya just never know.

This was exactly my concern when we debated this a year ago. I thought he was a good player with strong NBA potential, but his play last year showed a lack of maturity.  He needed more seasoning at the college level. While I don't know if he would have had a better draft choice after this year, short of an injury I don't think it would have been worse.

He took the money. God love him, I hope he invests it well and has a great life. He's worked hard to be good at what he does. I hope he bursts out next year but I just don't think he has the skill set to be a long-term NBA star. Again, I hope I am wrong.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2017, 01:25:23 PM »
This was exactly my concern when we debated this a year ago. I thought he was a good player with strong NBA potential, but his play last year showed a lack of maturity.  He needed more seasoning at the college level. While I don't know if he would have had a better draft choice after this year, short of an injury I don't think it would have been worse.

He took the money. God love him, I hope he invests it well and has a great life. He's worked hard to be good at what he does. I hope he bursts out next year but I just don't think he has the skill set to be a long-term NBA star. Again, I hope I am wrong.

The draft is absolutely loaded this year.  He definitely would have slipped unless he greatly improved.  Last year he could get drafted partly on upside, that's a harder sell with two years of game tape.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2017, 01:29:58 PM »

Lots of millionaires weren't long term NBA stars.........he made the right decision....now he just has to work hard and improve.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2017, 01:35:44 PM »

Ya'r kiddin', write, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2017, 01:41:04 PM »
The only thing that he may have gotten better at in college is fundamentals and being reigned in from thinking he's a do all player. Wouldn't mind having a tall PF on this team like him but if he was still taking those threes and slowing up the offense for isolation plays then we'd find ourselves exactly where we were last year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2017, 01:41:24 PM »

Ya'r kiddin', write, hey?

No, I'm not kidding.  Taking the money was probably the right call, but the dude can't even sniff the court right now.  He sucked at defense in college, so I can only imagine how bad he is defensively against NBA 4s. 

I wish him the best and hope he make it in the show, but right now, things don't look that great.  All Henry has done his whole life is play basketball, and dominate, so I can't image he takes too well to being a DNP - CD every night.  I doubt that is what he had in mind when he decided to go pro. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2017, 01:48:04 PM »
He struggles to guard NBDL power forwards.  But he has more coin than I do.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2017, 02:00:55 PM »
The draft is absolutely loaded this year.  He definitely would have slipped unless he greatly improved.  Last year he could get drafted partly on upside, that's a harder sell with two years of game tape.

Yes, but look at the type of players in the draft. Not many skilled big men. Its all guards. If he came back and put up monster numbers, including an improved three point shot, some team desperate for size might have taken him in the lottery.

But there's a ton of ifs in that scenario. Much safer to take the money when it was offered.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2017, 02:28:32 PM »
Henry should have stayed at least for one or two more years.  He has so much talent but needed to be coached into a better team player.  I think he would have gotten much more money if he waited.

Folks,,,

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2017, 02:32:09 PM »

Henry should have stayed at least for one or two more years.  He has so much talent but needed to be coached into a better team player.  I think he would have gotten much more money if he waited.

I don't think you guys understand how this works...Henry made the correct decision, both for his basketball career and his bank account.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2017, 02:41:23 PM »
I don't think you guys understand how this works...Henry made the correct decision, both for his basketball career and his bank account.

I don't think its nearly as definitive as you make it out to be. If he is out of the league in a year or two, and right now he has shown nothing to show that won't be the case, its tough to make that claim.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2017, 03:31:23 PM »
I don't think its nearly as definitive as you make it out to be. If he is out of the league in a year or two, and right now he has shown nothing to show that won't be the case, its tough to make that claim.

Compare 2016 draft class and 2017 draft class. Henry made the right decision. Anyone saying otherwise is just being dense to their own agenda.

His length of time in the NBA has no bearing on this season in Detriot or at Marquette. He's getting better coaching, better conditioning and a better lifestyle in the NBA, and he's getting paid.

Folks,,,

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2017, 03:31:53 PM »

If he is out of the league in the next few years it will not be because he didn't stay and play at MU for another couple years.

He will have about $6 million and a head start on his career earnings potential versus him staying in school for 1-2 more years.

Not to mention he will have been developing his game all that time at a rate far greater than he could have at Marquette. Better competition, better coaches, better facilities, no NCAA restrictions.

He will be a better basketball player and have a lot more money than if he stayed at Marquette. It is very simple.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2017, 03:48:59 PM »
Fair enough. I agree with most of the last two posts.  Was mainly just playing devil's advocate as his ass has been glued to the bench all year when with the big club, and he's spent a fair amount of the time in the D league.  Both things many here didn't find fathomable a year ago, and mocked those that felt he wasn't ready for the NBA.   

He made the right decision due to the money, but I can promise you that these last 8 months have not gone how Henry had planned. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2017, 04:04:45 PM »
Compare 2016 draft class and 2017 draft class. Henry made the right decision. Anyone saying otherwise is just being dense to their own agenda.

I think it's possible that Henry made what will be the best decision for both himself and for Marquette. He got a huge guaranteed contract. Staying one extra year would have likely pushed him down draft boards and limited his earning time, and staying any longer than that would have at best stagnated his earning potential. For Marquette, his departure opened up the ability for our long-term players to grow their games. Hauser, Howard, and Cheatham are not just getting valuable minutes, but also learning about what they need to do to improve (hasn't been so easy for Haani without Henry around) and they will be better served in the years going forward by not having HE as the de facto fall back option.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2017, 04:23:19 PM »
Henry averaged 18 points, 10 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per game in the D-League.  About the same numbers he put up at MU his frosh season.

He scored 25 in a game over the weekend and was called back to the Pistons on Monday.

In time he's going to need added strength as I think his future is guarding more 5's than 4's.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2017, 04:33:31 PM »

That is very unlikely the case.  He is earning money now that he wouldn't have earned at Marquette and is focusing 100% on playing basketball.  The NBDL doesn't mean "failure."  It is a way for players like Henry to play more and work on their craft.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2017, 04:34:11 PM »
Henry averaged 18 points, 10 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per game in the D-League.  About the same numbers he put up at MU his frosh season.

He scored 25 in a game over the weekend and was called back to the Pistons on Monday.

In time he's going to need added strength as I think his future is guarding more 5's than 4's.

Henry will have about 12-15 years earning power playing hoops, he might have to become a vagabond all over the world, but so what.  It is hard to believe but Steve
Novak made 23 to 24M playing ball,  mainly watching from the bench.  I am sure all of us would like that career.  Look what Jon Leuer is making this year, I am sure Henry can be in that range in the future.  Salaries right now are crazy in the NBA.

feedback