[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Davidson  (Read 16423 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Davidson
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2013, 07:25:15 AM »
But Appalachian State is Hot Hot Hot! (YouTube it)

We should beat them soundly but I'm not going to freak out if we don't.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2013, 07:47:09 AM »
We should beat them soundly but I'm not going to freak out if we don't.

That right there. As I have said before, if MU enters the tournament as a top 4 seed or makes it to the Sweet 16, its hard to complain. Just because you should win doesn't mean you will, nor does it mean you weren't as good as your seed if you don't. It's one game and sometimes you lose. That said, I expect MU will win.

In the eyes of the committee, RPI, and Top 25 voters, MU is one of the Top 15 teams in the country (in what is an admittedly pretty weak year, but so be it). Regardless of what happens this weekend, its kind of hard to complain.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2013, 07:47:31 AM »
I hope everyone picks Davidson...Buzz gets more out of his guys when he's the underdog.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2013, 07:56:04 AM »
Get a bit of a Holy Cross 2003 vibe from this game. Still think MU will win, but it's not a great matchup. Especially on the heels of some of the worst perimeter defense MU played all season.

And Butler in Round 3 is giving me a Missouri 2003 vibe. Looks like its going to be a great tourney for MU!
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

DCWildcatsFan

• Walk-On
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2013, 10:11:40 AM »
  Yea a 15-16 Appalachian State team was 2nd in conference who almost beat them last week.  Regardless of stats we need to go down low early and often and control the boards.

Congrats on your 3 seed, I am looking forward to a trip north to Kentucky to watch the game. You have a number of knowledgeable posters on this board, I have read several of your threads now. While I detect some level of respect and concern from you regarding the matchup, I would like to correct a couple of the above comments. The second best team in our conference was Not App, but College of Charleston, who we thumped not just twice, but 3 times by an average of 15 points, including 74-55 in the conference tourney finals last week. While CofC is certainly no Notre Dame, they are a decent team with some good wins OOC, such as Baylor, BC and ODU.

Interesting that Vegas has the spread at 4 points, while no other 3-14 matchup is under 10 points. I suspect that we are a tad under-seeded at a 14.

Should be a good game !

The Process

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2013, 10:20:45 AM »
The stats are comparable except our stats have come against a SOS of 12 and theirs against a SOS of 216.

Isn't that like Dayton lovers saying that they're middle-of-the-pack in the new Big East because they've never heard of SOS?

All joking aside, the team needs to be firing on all cylinders in the tourney, regardless of opponent.
Relax. Respect the Process.

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2013, 10:53:16 AM »
Congrats on your 3 seed, I am looking forward to a trip north to Kentucky to watch the game. You have a number of knowledgeable posters on this board, I have read several of your threads now. While I detect some level of respect and concern from you regarding the matchup, I would like to correct a couple of the above comments. The second best team in our conference was Not App, but College of Charleston, who we thumped not just twice, but 3 times by an average of 15 points, including 74-55 in the conference tourney finals last week. While CofC is certainly no Notre Dame, they are a decent team with some good wins OOC, such as Baylor, BC and ODU.

Interesting that Vegas has the spread at 4 points, while no other 3-14 matchup is under 10 points. I suspect that we are a tad under-seeded at a 14.

Should be a good game !

Thanks for stopping by!  I think most of us definitely respect Davidson and think you are a bit under-seeded, which is why we are a bit pissy that we have to play you instead of Valpo, Northwestern State, or Harvard.

Total side note- i met your football team on a flight this past Fall and they were all super nice guys. 

DCWildcatsFan

• Walk-On
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2013, 11:25:52 AM »
Glad to hear that the footballers were on good behavior for you !

Watch the stands and you may recognize a few of them game at the game, they can be quite boisterous in their support of the hoopsters.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2013, 11:37:02 AM »

Should be a good game !

You guys eliminated Bucky from the tourney a few years back.  That basically means you guys are like family around here

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2013, 11:47:43 AM »
Thanks for stopping by!  I think most of us definitely respect Davidson and think you are a bit under-seeded, which is why we are a bit pissy that we have to play you instead of Valpo, Northwestern State, or Harvard.

Davidson and Valpo are pretty much the exact same team.  Experienced with a lot of shooters that can get hot if given room.  I mean, look at the team stats...they basically mirror one another.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/compare?t1-season=2012-2013&t1-type=&t1=davidson&t2=valparaiso

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2013, 11:50:44 AM »

Should be a good game !

Yeah, and who would those posters be?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JD

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2013, 12:02:05 PM »
chicosbailbondsmarquette

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Good Luck   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings cats. I come in peace. I mean you no harm! I expect a tough, hard fought game. You have sharp shooters which we struggle against. Also, our coach plans well but doesn't seem to be able to finish. If you can hang tight you should pull out a win. The key is to stay close because Buzz Williams is not the best tactician. Do that and you can beat us.

http://www.davidsoncats.com/viewtopic.php?t=17335&sid=1874394e8c423284ffc3df409db4b67c

Buzz can't close games Chicos?

“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2013, 12:08:07 PM »
Stop trying to befriend the enemy Chicos.  They are evil and must be destroyed.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2013, 12:09:11 PM »
chicosbailbondsmarquette

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Good Luck   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings cats. I come in peace. I mean you no harm! I expect a tough, hard fought game. You have sharp shooters which we struggle against. Also, our coach plans well but doesn't seem to be able to finish. If you can hang tight you should pull out a win. The key is to stay close because Buzz Williams is not the best tactician. Do that and you can beat us.

I guess this tells us what we all have suspected over the years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2013, 12:09:49 PM »
chicosbailbondsmarquette

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Good Luck  

http://www.davidsoncats.com/viewtopic.php?t=17335&sid=1874394e8c423284ffc3df409db4b67c

Buzz can't close games Chicos?

Someone impersonated Chicos on another teams fan's site earlier this year.  I doubt it's him.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2013, 12:14:53 PM »
Who knows what they will actually do on the court, but their board seems to think they'll play a lot of man, the reason being that they have done a poor job of rebounding in the 2-3 when they've gone do it this year.  When there is a lot of sky falling talk, that is some analysis that I like to read considering our 2-3 issues this season.  
If we can turn some turnovers into points early then I don't think we should have too much of a problem.   Letting those big men establish themselves at any point becomes the issue when you've got multiple guys that can hit from deep.  Chris in those first 5 minutes has got to be huge.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2013, 12:15:14 PM »
And if that was CBB, then he was confusing the coaches of his alma maters.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JD

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2013, 12:16:43 PM »
And if that was CBB, then he was confusing the coaches of his alma maters.  

+1
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2013, 12:31:52 PM »
We gotta take this one at a time but Davidson has only beaten 1 team in the tournament: Montana.  

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/sort/RPI/teamId/269

We should play Montana instead.  We need to voluntarily move down to a 4 by swapping with Syracuse.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2013, 12:38:32 PM »

Davidson and Valpo are pretty much the exact same team.  Experienced with a lot of shooters that can get hot if given room.  I mean, look at the team stats...they basically mirror one another.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/compare?t1-season=2012-2013&t1-type=&t1=davidson&t2=valparaiso

Davidson and last years BYU team are pretty damn-close too, with the edge going to BYU.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/compare?t1-season=2012-2013&t1-type=1&t1=davidson&t2-season=2011-2012&t2=brigham-young

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2013, 12:57:16 PM »
We should play Montana instead.  We need to voluntarily move down to a 4 by swapping with Syracuse.

I like this! Teams should be allowed one swap with any team seeded below them.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
Davidson and last years BYU team are pretty damn-close too, with the edge going to BYU.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/compare?t1-season=2012-2013&t1-type=1&t1=davidson&t2-season=2011-2012&t2=brigham-young

Speaking of which, Iona is seeing us across the bracket and probably hungry for the shot they never got at us last year...... and if I recall they would have beat us..

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2013, 01:26:13 PM »
Speaking of which, Iona is seeing us across the bracket and probably hungry for the shot they never got at us last year...... and if I recall they would have beat us..

Nice... The freak-out here about Iona during halftime of that game was great!

I guess Iona checked out Scoop at the half and started looking ahead.

leever

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2013, 01:54:14 PM »
Come on.  That was not Chicos.  But it might have been Hoopaloop pretending to be Chicos.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2013, 02:12:07 PM »

Someone impersonated Chicos on another teams fan's site earlier this year.  I doubt it's him.

Likely it's Quad J
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"