[Today at 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Creighton's AD Comments  (Read 12070 times)

LauxForThree

• Walk-On
Creighton's AD Comments
« on: December 14, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
Hey fellas, DePaul fan here, been following your board the last couple of days... you guys have been picking up on some great stuff.

Its definitely an exciting time for the C7, thought I'd share a snippet with you guys from one of the DePaul boards that the Creighton AD said the other day. 

Creighton's AD:

"We’re not unhappy with the Valley. In fact, we like where we are. But ever since I’ve been at Creighton, for 30 years (32 now), Creighton has had a consistent stance. If a conference of private Midwest schools, schools with like missions to Creighton, became available, we would look at that."

IMHO: Creighton, Xavier, SLU, Dayton would be no-brainers and add to the MU/DPU midwestern flavor to the new Big East.  Then either pursue VCU or Butler if we wanted to go non catholic.

🏀

• All American
Re: Creighton's AD Comments
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 08:51:05 AM »
unnatural carnal knowledge Dayton. No need for them.

Thanks for the quote though. Welcome to the board.

LauxForThree

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 08:52:27 AM »
Dayton definitely is the smaller fish, but considering the Great Midwest-Old Catholic alliance ties MU and DPU has, I think they'll be in the conversation.  Personally, would rather see Butler and VCU added.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 08:58:21 AM »
Creighton over Dayton. The Jays had the 6th best attendance in NCAA basketball last year and made the Final Four in men's soccer this past month. If you had a league with the C7 and Creighton, Butler and Xavier, 5 of those teams (Marquette, Georgetown, St. John's, Creighton and Xavier) made the NCAA tourney in men's soccer and Georgetown lost in the final game. So in addition to being a pretty good basketball conference, it would also be a very good conference for other sports like soccer.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 08:58:42 AM »
I still think despite being a geographic outlier, Gonzaga is as close to must-add as they come. They provide immediate name recognition, quality, and increased exposure.

Also, tell Purnell to get his act in gear! If Melvin and Young leave DePaul without ever sniffing a NCAA Tournament, that'd be really disappointing.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 09:01:38 AM »
Hey fellas, DePaul fan here, been following your board the last couple of days... you guys have been picking up on some great stuff.

Its definitely an exciting time for the C7, thought I'd share a snippet with you guys from one of the DePaul boards that the Creighton AD said the other day.  

Creighton's AD:

"We’re not unhappy with the Valley. In fact, we like where we are. But ever since I’ve been at Creighton, for 30 years (32 now), Creighton has had a consistent stance. If a conference of private Midwest schools, schools with like missions to Creighton, became available, we would look at that."

IMHO: Creighton, Xavier, SLU, Dayton would be no-brainers and add to the MU/DPU midwestern flavor to the new Big East.  Then either pursue VCU or Butler if we wanted to go non catholic.

Xavier is the only no-brainer.  Creighton, SLU and Dayton are prime candidates, but whether which or all are invited depends on whether this is going to be a 10-, 12- or 14-team conference.

And a snippet for you (all in fun, of course)... from the Paint Touches twitter:
DePaul must feel like the younger brother who gets to go to the amusement park with his older brother and friends.

Evidently, Strotty is throwing a hat into the ring for the "Great America Conference"

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 09:02:17 AM »
Welcome Laux.  Please keep us updated on what you hear about the DePaul arena situation.  I think you'll find most MU fans here supportive of fans of other teams as long as they don't talk crazy on our board.  Many of us Chicago types fully support a viable DePaul program and long for the day when the cross-border rivalry makes the DePaul/MU game a huge deal once again.  (Just as long as we win and recruit at a higher level.)

Quick story from last's year's game.  Warriorchick and I are sitting courtside next to Steve Kerr and his kid.  Some drunk DePaul fan from Row 2 starts flinging f-bombs at the end of the game and doesn't even realize who he's talking to when Steve politely asks him to tone it down.  (I guess he needed a letter from LW too.)

See you in the New BEast!

LauxForThree

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 09:03:57 AM »
Brew,

You're preaching to the choir.  Hopefully though it seems DePaul found some mojo in their recent games against AU and ASU.  How that plays when conference starts we shall see.  Our concern is the lack of 2013 recruiting success and whether a successful year this year (which in our mind would be an NIT bid, 17 wins) will help with the 2014 class in Chicago (which is loaded again).

As for Gonzaga, I think if you go that route, you need another west coast school and then St. Mary's comes into play.  But then you have the East coast/West Coast travel and TV scheduling nightmares.  Tough sell IMO.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 09:06:52 AM »
Brew,

You're preaching to the choir.  Hopefully though it seems DePaul found some mojo in their recent games against AU and ASU.  How that plays when conference starts we shall see.  Our concern is the lack of 2013 recruiting success and whether a successful year this year (which in our mind would be an NIT bid, 17 wins) will help with the 2014 class in Chicago (which is loaded again).

As for Gonzaga, I think if you go that route, you need another west coast school and then St. Mary's comes into play.  But then you have the East coast/West Coast travel and TV scheduling nightmares.  Tough sell IMO.

Or you have a made-for-TV doubleheader to go up against Big Monday.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

LauxForThree

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 09:10:42 AM »
JS,

If you are going to place a bet on where the new stadium is going to be located, my money is on Cermak, east of Indiana (the discussed McCormick locale).

The Rahm-father wants the stadium there.... and the Rahm-father is a BIG supporter of DePaul.  The McPier organization has $100 million in bonds to burn and can help fund it.  Its a location with the infrastructure to support the arena (being next to McCormick).  There are no major clean up/environmental issues (like the Finkl or Morton's site).  And there aren't strong owners associations/alderman opposed to the site.

So again, if you are betting man, its McCormick.  Me personally, coming in from the SW Suburbs off Rt. 55.... I like the locale.  It's a big tailgate area (lots of smaller lots down there) for Bears games and its a neighborhood is in the middle of turning over from industrial to residential with bars and restaraunts popping up (that will accelerate-Kroll's being a great sports bar in the area).

So personally, I think its a win/win... we shall see.  Just far from campus (Lincoln Park).  But its close to downtown so that will cater to alumn working in the city and the new dorms downtown will be close too.

LauxForThree

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 09:14:44 AM »
And yes, I expect good natured ribbing as well (and maybe bad natured too :) ).  Most of us remaining die-hard Demon fans know the crap our program has put on the court and realize we need to be pulled into this new league.  My hope is our leadership just stays silent and thank their stars that this is another opportunity to relaunch the program.  A viable DePaul can add a pretty damm strong asset to the new league given the untapped Chicago market. 

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 09:15:53 AM »
Omaha is a vastly underrated sports town -- well worth an away game roadtrip.  They spent a pile of money for a new baseball stadium for the college world series and put that stadium downtown.  The Qwest Center is an outstanding arena.  They have a fun bar district downtown and the airport with plenty of good, affordable hotels is minutes away.   While Cornhusker football rules the state, the good basketball team has always been in Omaha.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 09:18:01 AM »
Or you have a made-for-TV doubleheader to go up against Big Monday.

Or better, a triple-header. How's this weekly lineup in the central timezone:

6:00 pm Butler @ Georgetown
8:00 pm Villanova @ Marquette
10:00 pm Xavier @ Gonzaga

The next week...

6:00 pm Gonzaga @ St. John's
8:00 pm Marquette @ DePaul (for you, Laux ;) )
10:00 pm Georgetown @ St. Mary's

The next week...

6:00 pm Butler @ Xavier
8:00 pm Georgetown @ Creighton
10:00 pm Marquette @ Gonzaga

And so on and so forth.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 09:20:36 AM »
And yes, I expect good natured ribbing as well (and maybe bad natured too :) ).  Most of us remaining die-hard Demon fans know the crap our program has put on the court and realize we need to be pulled into this new league.  My hope is our leadership just stays silent and thank their stars that this is another opportunity to relaunch the program.  A viable DePaul can add a pretty damm strong asset to the new league given the untapped Chicago market. 

Here's a hot potato out of the blue for you to handle.  Is Lenti-Ponsetto the problem?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

LauxForThree

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 09:21:47 AM »
I like that... but can I make a comment.  Whatever this new league is, I hope the hell we don't sign with ESPN.  Ever since the 'Cuse and Pitt defection (which I still think ESPN played a role), that network has been decidely anti-Big East.

I say the new network should sign with NBC SPorts.  That way we become their flagship bball conference and have a national TV network for weekend games.  I could see Big East games highlighted along with NHL games on the weekend (if the NHL ever gets their ass in gear).

Plus, NBC Sports would be more apt to deal with local cable to broadcast more games locally.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 09:23:09 AM »
No need to rush on adding more teams. Take their time and make right decision because you have to live with the decision long term. I would not be chasing Dayton, Creighton or any other mid major. Both are decent programs but they are not going anywhere. Who knows maybe a smaller conference is better conference.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 09:23:23 AM »
JS,

If you are going to place a bet on where the new stadium is going to be located, my money is on Cermak, east of Indiana (the discussed McCormick locale).
[...]
Just far from campus (Lincoln Park).  But its close to downtown so that will cater to alumn working in the city and the new dorms downtown will be close too.

I was just going to say: Isn't that a somewhat inconvenient hike from campus?

LauxForThree

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 09:23:38 AM »
Here's a hot potato out of the blue for you to handle.  Is Lenti-Ponsetto the problem?

Does a Bear sh#t in the woods?  Of course she is the problem.  9.9 out 10 DePaul fans would agree.

Most of our discussions center on how we can "reassign" her out of the AD's role.  My feeling is she can be the Director of Womens Sports in the new league.  My dream would be to get a guy like Jon McDonough in a role of AD... but thats a dream.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 09:24:31 AM »
I like that... but can I make a comment.  Whatever this new league is, I hope the hell we don't sign with ESPN.  Ever since the 'Cuse and Pitt defection (which I still think ESPN played a role), that network has been decidely anti-Big East.

I say the new network should sign with NBC SPorts.  That way we become their flagship bball conference and have a national TV network for weekend games.  I could see Big East games highlighted along with NHL games on the weekend (if the NHL ever gets their ass in gear).

Plus, NBC Sports would be more apt to deal with local cable to broadcast more games locally.

I have a friend in the TV industry (Fox Sports) and he thinks NBC Sports is a decent bet because they are "hungry for content."

LauxForThree

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 09:26:53 AM »
I was just going to say: Isn't that a somewhat inconvenient hike from campus?

Its a haul form LP, but I think the Mayor is adding a new EL stop near by.  Getting more student involvement isnt my concern, if they are a winning program, then the lazy asses in Lincoln Park will come.  

A near downtown location in my opinion has better appeal from a working alumni, corporate setting.  And any new dedicated DePaul facility will be better than the crap at the Horizon.  Plus, being closer to the South side may be beneficial from a recruiting standpoint.... that much easier for recruits and recruits family to see games.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 09:27:29 AM »
It's a double-edged sword. Like it or not, ESPN is the biggest kid on the block. They will attract the most eyeballs. And they have already accomplished their mission of destroying the Big East. There's value in trying to repair that relationship. Even though I hate them and everything they stand for. Mickey Mouse sucks.

NBC Sports would be a viable alternative, but you have to realize that it puts us at a decided disadvantage. People won't be as quick to flip to that station. When you're in a bar with 2-3 TVs, how often do any of them have NBC Sports on? And how many have ESPN and/or ESPN2?

I think we have to think of this in terms of what's best for the future of the league. If NBC makes it that worth our while (like they did with the Premier League) then you do it and hope you can run up against ESPN. I'm talking $3-4M per year. But if they are offering $2.5M per team and ESPN is offering $2.2M, you take the ESPN deal and realize the exposure will offset the few hundred thousand you lose in the process.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 09:28:22 AM »

Not just viable... we need you guys to compete and beat us in a game where MU isn't favored by 42-1/2.  Right now, beating you guys is like winning $3.00 on a two-dollar lottery ticket... we need to be playing games where each team feels like they just won a million dollars when they win.

So get off your duffs and reassign L-P (or whatever) and build a new arena already... and while you're at it, paint half of the arena's seats blue and gold for us.  It will help us feel more at home when we take the place over once a year.

LauxForThree

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 09:28:31 AM »
I have a friend in the TV industry (Fox Sports) and he thinks NBC Sports is a decent bet because they are "hungry for content."

Even hungrier with the NHL labor dispute (especially if the season is cancelled) and a 12 team college league has a LOT of inventory to broadcast.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 09:30:49 AM »

Does NBCSports have anything similar to ESPN3? That's crucial IMO.

LauxForThree

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 09:32:41 AM »

I think we have to think of this in terms of what's best for the future of the league. If NBC makes it that worth our while (like they did with the Premier League) then you do it and hope you can run up against ESPN. I'm talking $3-4M per year. But if they are offering $2.5M per team and ESPN is offering $2.2M, you take the ESPN deal and realize the exposure will offset the few hundred thousand you lose in the process.

Call me old-school, just like the feel of an NBC broadcast Saturday cbb game.  I understand ESPN being the 800 lb. gorilla, but the exclusivity that NBC might offer could very well trump what ESPN brings to the table.  And for rebuilding teams like DePaul, if they get EVERYONE of their conference games broadcast locally on a channel available to the local market, that beats being put on the E2 or the U three/four times a year.