[Today at 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[Today at 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[Today at 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Back To Basketball - Next Years Player Potential  (Read 13553 times)

RJax55

• All American
Re: Back To Basketball - Next Years Player Potential
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2012, 04:49:28 PM »
I guess I am more down on our prospects next year than most, but I don't think we compare at all to Louisville, as they are far more athletic than MU is now that DJO and Crowder are gone. Dieng is much, much better than Otule. Siva is better than Cadougan. Kuric has a much better 3 point shot than Mayo. Behanan is much more athletic than Gardner. I can't remember much about Swopshire's game to compare him to Blue. Their offensive firepower, even if inconsistent, is better than what Marquette has coming back next year.

Norm, I agree with you that Louisville will be better than MU next year, but Kuric and Swopshire won't be part of that UL team. Kuric is currently a senior and Louisville has already announced that Swopshire will not be back next season. The guy to look out for is Wayne Blackshear.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2012, 04:59:19 PM »
I guess I am more down on our prospects next year than most, but I don't think we compare at all to Louisville, as they are far more athletic than MU is now that DJO and Crowder are gone. Dieng is much, much better than Otule. Siva is better than Cadougan. Kuric has a much better 3 point shot than Mayo. Behanan is much more athletic than Gardner. I can't remember much about Swopshire's game to compare him to Blue. Their offensive firepower, even if inconsistent, is better than what Marquette has coming back next year.

While I do think Dieng is a good player I  don't think he is much better than Otule. He blocks a lot of shots but if the ball is in his hands for more than 1.5 seconds its an automatic traveling call. His coordination is on par with Otule's hand-eye coordination.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2012, 05:08:03 PM »
Norm, I agree with you that Louisville will be better than MU next year, but Kuric and Swopshire won't be part of that UL team. Kuric is currently a senior and Louisville has already announced that Swopshire will not be back next season. The guy to look out for is Wayne Blackshear.
I know Kuric and Swopshire wont be back, I was just using the comparison of players the original poster did.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2012, 05:10:30 PM »
While I do think Dieng is a good player I  don't think he is much better than Otule. He blocks a lot of shots but if the ball is in his hands for more than 1.5 seconds its an automatic traveling call. His coordination is on par with Otule's hand-eye coordination.
Yes, but those blocks come in pretty handy - he had 124 blocks this year. He also averaged 9.7 points a game.

For comparison, last year, Otule had 55 blocks and averaged 5.1 points a game.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2012, 05:22:44 PM »
Otule or Dieng? I'll take Dieng. He's simply better than Otule im sorry. Go ahead and blast me away.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2012, 05:28:41 PM »
I really think Cadougan will emerge as our alpha dog next year.  He has developed a very aggressive, in-your-face personality with the team that will translate directly to a leadership role on the court.  You could already see it this year when our team ran 100% better on offense when Cadougan was on the court directing guys.

I agree with Sally. Cadougan will be our leader, followed by Jamil and hopefully Vander.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2012, 06:17:12 PM »
Otule or Dieng? I'll take Dieng. He's simply better than Otule im sorry. Go ahead and blast me away.

I will take Dieng as well.  Otule has some physical issues he can never overcome, then the knee this year.  Defensively, Dieng and Otule are equal but offensively there is no comparison. He
has a jump shot that Buzz does not let either centers shoot.  If he can add that to his game, he might be equal with Dieng.  He was working on his left hand, which was new to his offensive
arsenal this year, so now he has to take the next step.  Dieng and Otule with Cooley will be the best centers in the Big East next year.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2012, 06:31:26 PM »
Defensively, Dieng and Otule are equal but offensively there is no comparison.

Dieng is twice as good as Otule defensively too.  He was robbed of BE DPOY.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2012, 06:32:45 PM »
DWil's worse case: Not becoming an potent offensive threat to keep the defense honest. Having a worse A/TO ratio than this season.
SS Marquette

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2012, 07:33:52 PM »
Returning scoring under Buzz (what they finished with the next season)

09-10
Hayward 16.3 (18.1)
Butler 5.6 (14.7)
Acker 2.8 (8.7)
Cubillan 1.6 (6.8)
Fulce 1.4 (3.5)
Otule 1.3 (3.7)

10-11
Butler 14.7 (15.7)
DJO 13.0 (15.8)
Buycks 6.3 (8.8)
Otule 3.7 (5.1)
Fulce 3.5 (3.2)
Williams 1.2 (2.2)
Cadougan 0.3 (4.0)

11-12
DJO 15.8 (18.3)
Crowder 11.8 (17.5)
Otule 5.1 (5.0)
Blue 5.1 (8.4)
Gardner 4.6 (9.5)
Cadougan 4.0 (6.3)
Jones 1.5 (1.6)

12-13
Gardner 9.5 (??)
Blue 8.4
Mayo 7.9
Wilson 7.1
Cadougan 6.3
Otule 5.0
Jones 1.6
Anderson 0.7
Wilson 0.6

On a positive note, we should be bringing back 5 out of our 6 top scoters the year after next. Sweet sixteen next year and elite 8 after that. The let diamond stone and burton bring us to the final 4

tower912

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2012, 07:41:48 PM »
If an alpha scorer steps up, next year's team can be as good as this years'.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2012, 07:51:55 PM »
I think I rather have balanced scoring. The team ended up to dependent on DJO and Crowder. We might be better off with five 10 to 11 point scorers.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2012, 10:11:22 PM »
If an alpha scorer steps up, next year's team can be as good as this years'.

Looking at this year's Elite 8...
Kentucky: 6 players averaging between 10-14.3 ppg
Louisville: 6 players averaging between 9.1-12.7 ppg
Ohio State: 3 players averaging between 14.4-17.6 ppg
Kansas: 2 players averaging between 16.7-17.7 ppg
Florida: 5 players averaging between 10.2-15.9 ppg
North Carolina: 3 players averaging between 13.7-17.1 ppg
Syracuse: 5 players averaging between 8.5-13.4 ppg
Baylor: 5 players averaging between 10.2-13.8 ppg

5 of those teams don't have an "alpha scorer." The other 3 have "alpha scorers" who are likely going to be among the top 6-8 players selected in the NBA Draft. Since MU doesn't appear to have that type of player, having a balanced scoring team looks to be an advantage.

mubb34

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2012, 10:39:13 PM »
I think Jake Thomas will avg. 10 a game next year.Zone buster big time player!!!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2012, 11:11:45 PM »
Exactly.  If he was *that* good, why was he only offered by the likes of South Dakota out of school?  If he was *that* good, why is he a walk-on next year?  Let's be realistic here. 

You may be spot on....however, the unknown is how far he will have progressed this past year practicing against a first rate D1 squad, going up against to future pros.

This is, by no way, a guarantee of how he wil do next year, but Buzz has a way with guys like him.....see Jimmy, et al.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2012, 05:18:55 AM »
I think Jake Thomas will avg. 10 a game next year.Zone buster big time player!!!

Ten what?  Points? 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2012, 07:21:41 AM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2012, 07:41:36 AM »
The problem with this board and unknown players is that we constantly over-value what their performance is going to to be.  Jake Thomas' ceiling in my opinion is Jamail Jones against Cincinnati.  Comes in...hits a couple big threes...gets everyone excited...then sits back down again.

And in the end, he will be lucky to have Jamail's stat-line from this year.  8 mpg, 1.7 ppg.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2012, 08:18:27 AM »
The problem with this board and unknown players is that we constantly over-value what their performance is going to to be.  Jake Thomas' ceiling in my opinion is Jamail Jones against Cincinnati.  Comes in...hits a couple big threes...gets everyone excited...then sits back down again.

And in the end, he will be lucky to have Jamail's stat-line from this year.  8 mpg, 1.7 ppg.
You can say what you want about the calibur of the competition in the pro am. However, I attended most of the games and Jake is a much better three point shooter than Jones. Of course being better than Jones does not guarantee you playing time.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2012, 08:32:05 AM »
You can say what you want about the calibur of the competition in the pro am. However, I attended most of the games and Jake is a much better three point shooter than Jones. Of course being better than Jones does not guarantee you playing time.

Exactly.  His playing time will likely be limited but the one area where his stats may exceed expectation is the 'scoring' line.  I can imagine special situations where he gets 30 seconds of playing time solely for the purpose of being the spot up 3 guy, such as the last possession of the first half.  What I'll bet coach is interested in whether he can play any D at this level. Not being critical if he simply can't.  He'll get a few minutes if he can.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2012, 08:41:07 AM »
I'm sort of with Norm - a little pessimistic.

I see Van, Jamil and Todd making incremental improvements, as befits their likely boost in mpg.

I'm trying not to be down on Jr., and I agree that the offense this year depended on him quite a bit. He not only doesn't finish with the left, he never even goes in that direction.

If Chris is back, he and DG both healthy will make a difference.

I'm thinking TJ will have the biggest impact of the new faces and will earn increasing minutes. We should see some improvement from Juan, and hopefully get something from Steve Taylor. Jake will likely be the zone-busting Rosenberger all over again.
Jamail is the dark horse - I think it's his year to either make a quantam leap, or else we will likely look at his MU time as what might have been.

We should be able to defend, offense will be problematic. I wouldn't be surprised to see Buzz revert to the approach of a couple of years ago where every possession was an event and the clock was milked. Middle of the pack, but hopefully dancing.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2012, 09:34:04 AM »
Scoring off the fastbreak will be really critical next year. Defensively they will be fine next year, better than this year. Transition baskets will have to have Vander finish as from end to end
he moves down the court.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2012, 09:45:04 AM »
The problem with this board and unknown players is that we constantly over-value what their performance is going to to be.

Not just this board - it's true for fans eveywhere. "New" guys have no flaws, only highlights on YouTube. Familiarity exposes weaknesses and, as the old saying goes, breeds contempt.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2012, 10:14:37 AM »
I think I rather have balanced scoring. The team ended up to dependent on DJO and Crowder. We might be better off with five 10 to 11 point scorers.

I agree to a point.   I would like 4-5 guys averaging double figures, but to have that one guy who wants the ball and can create his own shot in end of shot-clock/end of game situations.     If, for example, the scoring breakdown went JWilson 14, DG 12, Mayo 11, Blue 10, Cadougan 10, but Mayo (for example) emerged as the go to guy for big shots, I would be ecstatic. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2012, 10:17:07 AM »

Ten what?  Points? 

Triple-doubles. Per game. Greatest Warrior since Mbakwe.

feedback