[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gabe York Is On A Visit, Yeah?  (Read 14698 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Gabe York Is On A Visit, Yeah?
« on: June 23, 2011, 09:34:35 AM »
We are lacking recruiting buzz. Where are we with this crucial aspect of program building?

On that note, York just had an outstanding visit with Notre Dame who will be a player for his services all the way to end. Unenviable for Marquette to follow that, but we were scheduled to be the caboose.

Any news?

ATWizJr

• All American
Re: Gabe York Is On A Visit, Yeah?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 10:53:18 AM »
Always better to have the last shot.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 10:57:27 AM »
Bring him next week during Summerfest?  A lot going on, maybe the weather will be nice by
then!

National Champs

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 11:28:11 AM »
I saw him on campus yesterday being toted around on a golf cart. There was a news van set up next to the blood center with a camera pointed to Humphrey. hopefully he isn't hearing any of the negative press.
We Are Elite

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 11:34:47 AM »
I saw him on campus yesterday being toted around on a golf cart. There was a news van set up next to the blood center with a camera pointed to Humphrey. hopefully he isn't hearing any of the negative press.
You are better off having it out in the open, so you can talk about it. I am sure Notre Dame or any other suiter is going to point it out anyways. It would not be wise to try to cover up a cover up. However, I will find it hard to believe that this does not hurt recruiting.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 11:51:42 AM »
You are better off having it out in the open, so you can talk about it. I am sure Notre Dame or any other suiter is going to point it out anyways. It would not be wise to try to cover up a cover up. However, I will find it hard to believe that this does not hurt recruiting.

You really think ND is in any position to be using negative recruiting tactics about how a sexual assault complaint was handled?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 11:57:38 AM »
Gabe York is the exception that proves the rule.  He's a two guard in a point guard's body.  But he can fill it up.  He's willing to work on the point guard aspects of his game.  Big time player.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 11:59:26 AM »
You really think ND is in any position to be using negative recruiting tactics about how a sexual assault complaint was handled?
Yes-our problem is in the news now.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 12:07:38 PM »
Yes-our problem is in the news now.

Perhaps Gabe will prefer one of the many, many quality Division I athletic programs that's never had legal issues involving players.
Oh, wait ....

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 12:18:18 PM »
We are lacking recruiting buzz. Where are we with this crucial aspect of program building?

On that note, York just had an outstanding visit with Notre Dame who will be a player for his services all the way to end. Unenviable for Marquette to follow that, but we were scheduled to be the caboose.

Any news?

So, we're going to be pulling a train?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 12:18:26 PM »
Bring him next week during Summerfest?  A lot going on, maybe the weather will be nice by
then!

Nobody is bringing Gabe York in.  He and his family are footing the bill for these trips so he lumped in his visit with the trip to Notre Dame.  If he is physically ready to go, his July will be jam packed with camps and AAU tournaments.  This was probably MU's shot to impress him.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 12:20:11 PM »
I can't imagine any recruit getting jacked up to play four seasons of home games at the Joyce Center.  That place completely blows.  But the rest of the campus is very nice.

If ND put 1/10 of the money into basketball that it does football, they'd have some pretty awesome facilities.

But the fact of the matter is, any basketball recruit to ND has to face the fact that they play their home games in the shadow of "Touchdown Jesus" and Notre Dame stadium.  You might as well play BB in the SEC.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 12:22:51 PM »
I can't imagine any recruit getting jacked up to play four seasons of home games at the Joyce Center.  That place completely blows.  But the rest of the campus is very nice.

If ND put 1/10 of the money into basketball that it does football, they'd have some pretty awesome facilities.

But the fact of the matter is, any basketball recruit to ND has to face the fact that they play their home games in the shadow of "Touchdown Jesus" and Notre Dame stadium.  You might as well play BB in the SEC.

The Joyce Center just went through an extensive renovation prior to last year and from an architectural point of view, I am very impressed.  Notre Dame has a lot to sell.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Litehouse

• All American

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 01:45:18 PM »
The Tribune story on MU was part of a larger series, and ND was dragged through the mud the previous days.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/tribnation/chi-how-we-reported-on-campus-sexual-assaults-20110617,0,4560837.story

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/education/ct-met-campus-sexual-assaults-0617-20110616,0,6617854.story
The difference is that Buzz is coming accross as a person who believes heavily in God. Which leaves you open to critcism anytime anything looks bad. A player's mom who likes Buzz's faith base approach is not going to like what is in the news about MU. Besides we all know recruiting is a dog eat dog world and in most cases anything that can put your opponent in a bad light will be used in one fashion or another.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 02:32:50 PM »
I guess I don't see the difference then.  ND plays up God as much as anybody, and their situations are arguably worse than MU's.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 02:34:13 PM »
The difference is that Buzz is coming accross as a person who believes heavily in God. Which leaves you open to critcism anytime anything looks bad. A player's mom who likes Buzz's faith base approach is not going to like what is in the news about MU. Besides we all know recruiting is a dog eat dog world and in most cases anything that can put your opponent in a bad light will be used in one fashion or another.

Right or wrong, I kinda doubt a recruit's family is going to take exception to a coach trying to protect his player.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 02:45:05 PM »

I can see it now ....

"Coach Buzz, I really like your program, the facilities, the Big East and Marquette's academics. And I think you as a coach could help me develop into a potential NBA player, as with Jimmy Butler.
But I just can't in good conscience attend a school whose former policy regarding complaints of sexual abuse didn't require campus security to report allegations to a law enforcement authority."

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 02:58:51 PM »
Gabe has attended Orange County Lutheran High (OLU). My first cousin teaches there, and its a very high quality, but conservative parochial Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod school.

I dont know how material such is to his family in college choice.

However, Gabe may share my impression coming out of Milw Luth HS, and with a similar backround, ...namely, that MU was welcoming and warm to protestants...and ND was..well, not so much.

I'd guess the family will be very impressed and comfortable with  the sincere, straight talking evangelistic zeal of Buzz Williams...hes like many of the teachers/coaches at OLU...and a continuation of Gabe's upbringing, to this point.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 04:06:08 PM »

You really think ND is going to be waving this in kids faces?

In 2002, four football players were dismissed from the university when accused of rape. One was acquitted, charges were dismissed against two of them, and the fourth was convicted of a lesser charge. But they were expelled before the criminal charges.
AND
Ms. Seeberg was a student at nearby Saint Mary's College. On the night of Aug. 31  while in a dorm room at the University of Notre Dame, Lizzy alleged that a current Notre Dame football player fondled her breasts without her consent, constituting sexual assault.
She went on to kill herself.
AND
 the death of 20-year-old team videographer Declan Sullivan in October. Amidst 50 mph winds, Sullivan was ordered onto a fifty-foot high "scissor lift" to videotape practice.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 07:14:58 AM »
Anyone know if York was on campus last night?  Would have made a favorable impression with Butler getting selected in first round and the staff reminding him about Hayward last year.  Hoping he was hanging out with MU players for the draft show.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 07:25:15 AM »
Anyone know if York was on campus last night?  Would have made a favorable impression with Butler getting selected in first round and the staff reminding him about Hayward last year.  Hoping he was hanging out with MU players for the draft show.

Especially with WesMat being in town yesterday.  It would be a memorable visit, I'd think :)

nyg

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 07:29:32 AM »
Especially with WesMat being in town yesterday.  It would be a memorable visit, I'd think :)

Would not have been that exciting at Notre Dame with Carleton Scott and Ben Hansbourgh not being picked.  Think Buzz will use that?  YES.........

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 08:11:41 AM »
You really think ND is going to be waving this in kids faces?

In 2002, four football players were dismissed from the university when accused of rape. One was acquitted, charges were dismissed against two of them, and the fourth was convicted of a lesser charge. But they were expelled before the criminal charges.
AND
Ms. Seeberg was a student at nearby Saint Mary's College. On the night of Aug. 31  while in a dorm room at the University of Notre Dame, Lizzy alleged that a current Notre Dame football player fondled her breasts without her consent, constituting sexual assault.
She went on to kill herself.
AND
 the death of 20-year-old team videographer Declan Sullivan in October. Amidst 50 mph winds, Sullivan was ordered onto a fifty-foot high "scissor lift" to videotape practice.

I do not think you directly say anything about it. You might say MU is getting some bad press lately and not comment other than that.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 08:17:09 AM »
He's easy to give a playing nickname.

feedback