[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Lax Bros At It Again  (Read 12596 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: MU Lax Bros At It Again
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2021, 05:40:17 PM »
I think there are a large swath of people in this world that are racist, some of which are Scoop posters. I think there are a large swath of people in the world that attempt to marginalize less supported groups of people out of insecure fear and for selfish gain.

There were plenty of these types at Marquette (and other places)

"Just Kidding" "It's just a joke" "People are too sensitive"  And their friends were at best, "Crickets."

I think I agree
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2021, 05:45:30 PM »

Right.  And that one of them is about a local university that has been in the news in the past for the same exact topic!

Is it a news story if a couple of UWM Freshman say offensive things on snapchat?

Or is it just being Marquette that makes it worthy of a big article in the paper?

Tarring and feathering these kids for one drunken mistake is horrific and beyond out of proportion.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2021, 05:50:16 PM »
Is it a news story if a couple of UWM Freshman say offensive things on snapchat?

Or is it just being Marquette that makes it worthy of a big article in the paper?

Tarring and feathering these kids for one drunken mistake is horrific and beyond out of proportion.

No it isn't.  Stop excusing this type of behavior.  If you say that word when you're drunk, you've for sure said it before.  It isn't funny, it isn't just boys being boys.  It's a hateful word that dehumanizes an entire race.  Stop making excuses.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2021, 05:53:09 PM »
No white person should ever use that word, full stop.   Drunk or sober.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2021, 05:53:56 PM »

Last time I checked 18 is an adult.

Also, aren't you supposed to be the party of personal responsibility? Well they weren't and now they're being held accountable
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2021, 05:56:59 PM »
did she actually say the word?

No.  She explained she was called that in High School because she had big lips.  Which of course caused people's heads to explode.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2021, 12:31:39 AM »
No.  She explained she was called that in High School because she had big lips.  Which of course caused people's heads to explode.

It was tone deaf and dumb to say, cause she doesn’t need to equivocate her silly HS experiences as a white female to the experiences of black Americans with a hateful slur.  She should be smart enough to know that doesn’t need to be said on social media to people who don’t know her personally or without additional context. Without a doubt

But snap calling her racist as a result seemed a bit much. Like was it racist to acknowledge that stupid people associated “big lips” with black people? I can’t help think her status as a Republican politician likely ignited most of it, given current events.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2021, 06:29:23 AM »
It was tone deaf and dumb to say, cause she doesn’t need to equivocate her silly HS experiences as a white female to the experiences of black Americans with a hateful slur.  She should be smart enough to know that doesn’t need to be said on social media to people who don’t know her personally or without additional context. Without a doubt

But snap calling her racist as a result seemed a bit much. Like was it racist to acknowledge that stupid people associated “big lips” with black people? I can’t help think her status as a Republican politician likely ignited most of it, given current events.

100%

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2021, 08:32:12 AM »
Last time I checked 18 is an adult.

Also, aren't you supposed to be the party of personal responsibility? Well they weren't and now they're being held accountable

I think these students need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2021, 08:40:15 AM »
Painful lesson for these two to learn about both racist language and social media.

If you say vile things and post them in a public forum, you invite a public reaction — and that’s exactly what they got. It speaks volumes that some peoples’ instinct here is to victimize them, even though they’re only experiencing the foreseeable consequences of their conduct. Take ownership, apologize, learn why what you did was wrong, and move on (and at another school if necessary).

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2021, 11:16:12 AM »
Painful lesson for these two to learn about both racist language and social media.

If you say vile things and post them in a public forum, you invite a public reaction — and that’s exactly what they got. It speaks volumes that some peoples’ instinct here is to victimize them, even though they’re only experiencing the foreseeable consequences of their conduct. Take ownership, apologize, learn why what you did was wrong, and move on (and at another school if necessary).

Nobody's victimizing them.  But the punishment may end being far more severe than the offense.

Public reaction is fine.

MU expelling them would not be.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2021, 11:23:48 AM »
Nobody's victimizing them.  But the punishment may end being far more severe than the offense.

Public reaction is fine.

Finally something we can agree on. That being said I wouldn't get my undies in a bunch over "may be worse than the crime" wait till it happens and till then focus on the wrong that actually did happen.
Maigh Eo for Sam

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2021, 11:25:53 AM »
Finally something we can agree on. That being said I wouldn't get my undies in a bunch over "may be worse than the crime" wait till it happens and till then focus on the wrong that actually did happen.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've told my kids that it's a waste of energy to be preemptively angry about something. No need being mad about something until it happens.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2021, 12:07:05 PM »

Public reaction is fine.

I agree with this...depending upon their previous student conduct record.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2021, 01:47:45 PM »

Public reaction is fine.

Do you think they deserve to be punished?

Who should be doing the punishing?

What should the punishment be?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2021, 01:50:43 PM »
I've got a problem with any punishment for the remarks, except for whoever posted the video.  What some drunken idiot says at a party is not newsworthy if you ask me, even if he is a LAX player.  Drunk people says obnoxious stupid things with regularity.  You want to punish him for underage drinking, ok with me, that is breaking a law.  Of course what he said is reprehensible and evidence to some degree that he may not be a good person.  Last I checked, there is no law against being an a-hole, and you are allowed in America to speak your mind, even if you are a moron.   

But what kind of idiot posts that where others can see it unless he/she hates the guy?

I do not understand this generation on any level.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2021, 01:54:28 PM »
I've got a problem with any punishment for the remarks, except for whoever posted the video.  What some drunken idiot says at a party is not newsworthy if you ask me, even if he is a LAX player.  Drunk people says obnoxious stupid things with regularity.  You want to punish him for underage drinking, ok with me, that is breaking a law.  Of course what he said is reprehensible and evidence to some degree that he may not be a good person.  Last I checked, there is no law against being an a-hole, and you are allowed in America to speak your mind, even if you are a moron.   

But what kind of idiot posts that where others can see it unless he/she hates the guy?

I'm mostly with you here ... although I do think being a member of a college sports team is a right, and it carries with it certain responsibilities.

While I think I would have tried to figure out a way to keep him on the team, I can understand it if the coach, AD and/or university president wasn't feeling as generous.

But yeah, why post such a thing? Can't argue about that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2021, 01:54:50 PM »

Law? No.

Student code of conduct? Athlete code of conduct? Maybe

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2021, 01:55:57 PM »

It's a clear violation of Marquette's Student Code of Conduct.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2021, 01:56:24 PM »

Ostensibly, he is an employee of the university as a LAX player on scholarship.  As such, he represents the university.  Much like if you had a business and this was your employee, you'd probably show him the door; Marquette may yank the scholarship.  At minimum this sends a message that Marquette doesn't tolerate bigoted behavior amongst the representatives that receive a scholarship to play a sport. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2021, 02:03:07 PM »

It's a clear violation of Marquette's Student Code of Conduct.

Any code of conduct that legislates what I can say to my friends at a private party is a BS code of conduct. 

Also, I do not dismiss underage drinking, either, that is a punishable offense. 

If he said any of this in a public forum I'd be right with you.  The fact that this is an issue is because someone put it out there for the world to see.  Nobody would want their dumbest or most insensitive thing they said while drunk made public.  I hate the language, but I also hate the mindset that says, "Here's something everyone should see"
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 02:42:51 PM by CTWarrior »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2021, 02:07:54 PM »
Any code of conduct that legislates what I can say to my friends at a private party is a BS code of conduct. 

Also, I do not dismiss underage drinking, either, that is a punishable offense. 

If he said any of this in a public forum I'd be right with you.  The fact that this is an issue is because someone put it out there for the world to see.  Nobody would want there dumbest or most insensitive thing they said while drunk made public.  I hate the language, but I also hate the mindset that says, "Here's something everyone should see"

Just making sure I'm understanding correctly, your logic is anything that goes on at a party shouldn't be included in codes of conduct and if someone shows evidence of what is happening it's the videographer's fault?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 02:09:37 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2021, 02:14:36 PM »

But that's not what happened.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2021, 02:19:23 PM »
Ostensibly, he is an employee of the university as a LAX player on scholarship.  As such, he represents the university.  Much like if you had a business and this was your employee, you'd probably show him the door; Marquette may yank the scholarship.  At minimum this sends a message that Marquette doesn't tolerate bigoted behavior amongst the representatives that receive a scholarship to play a sport. 

Aside from the fact that he was on the LAX team (emphasis on "was"), is there any evidence that this kid was, in fact, on scholarship? That said, as a member of the team and athletics department (i.e., representative of the University), I have no doubt that there are some rules applicable to him that wouldn't be applicable to the wider student body.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2021, 02:29:29 PM »
Just making sure I'm understanding correctly, your logic is anything that goes on at a party shouldn't be included in codes of conduct and if someone shows evidence of what is happening it's the videographer's fault?
When it is non-threatening speech, yes.