[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:37:37 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Charissa Thompson leaving ESPN for Fox  (Read 3890 times)

chapman

• All American

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Charissa Thompson leaving ESPN for Fox
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 01:32:11 PM »
Ha, ESPN a "stepping stone" station now. I love it. About time they came crashing down to earth. Amazing what a little competition does.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 08:57:28 AM »
Ha, ESPN a "stepping stone" station now. I love it. About time they came crashing down to earth. Amazing what a little competition does.

Competition, maybe. Cash above all.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 09:18:14 AM »
It will be interesting to see if Fox's Canadian imports will be able to compete with the late SportsCenter.

http://deadspin.com/jay-onrait-and-dan-otoole-are-coming-to-america-489561140

Personally, I can't wait to see what they come up with. SC has become so stale, it'll be nice to have some personalities.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 09:43:35 AM »
Chicos, any talks about Fox Sports 1 picking up some NHL?

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 10:15:34 AM »
Nobody brings the heat like Fox.  I love it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 03:24:05 PM »
It will be interesting to see if Fox's Canadian imports will be able to compete with the late SportsCenter.

http://deadspin.com/jay-onrait-and-dan-otoole-are-coming-to-america-489561140

Personally, I can't wait to see what they come up with. SC has become so stale, it'll be nice to have some personalities.

Those guys are absolutely hilarious. So much better than any ESPN sportscaster. Just watch the TSN top 10s on youtube.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 07:51:57 PM »
Chicos, any talks about Fox Sports 1 picking up some NHL?

I believe NBC has the exclusive national contract.  I'm not sure if an opportunity exists for a second national partner in their agreement or not.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 09:49:50 PM »

ESPN has been a "stepping stone" for nearly 20 years.  It's no secret that they don't pay close to market for their talent.  Olbermann, Patrick, Kilbourn, Gammons, Eisen, Beadle, Andrews.  No one worth anything stays long. 

Those Guys Have All the Fun is a great read about the founding of and behind the scenes action of ESPN.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 10:12:51 PM »
ESPN has been a "stepping stone" for nearly 20 years.  It's no secret that they don't pay close to market for their talent.  Olbermann, Patrick, Kilbourn, Gammons, Eisen, Beadle, Andrews.  No one worth anything stays long. 

Those Guys Have All the Fun is a great read about the founding of and behind the scenes action of ESPN.

They don't need to.  They are bigger than any of the talent....though some people love Chris Berman, etc, it doesn't surprise me they move on.  ESPN will always be bigger than any of the talent that they have which is fine. 

jefffla01

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 10:31:07 PM »
Agree espn is bigger than its individual parts.

They are selective when determing when to pony up the big salaries. They dont lose everybody that want to keep----see Scott Van Pelt, Dan Schulman, Dave Pasch, Mark Jones, Adam Schekter ect.......they have just signed multi year extensions and are all very solid.

They have fine depth with solid woman personalities Hannah Storm, Linda Cohn, Lindsay Czarniak, Suzy Kolber, Doris Burke ect..---all very good anchors

They choose a solid base on which to build, and if they lose talent they will rebuild like clockwork. They are such a large organization, that they decide when to pony up and when to move on

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:35:39 PM by jefffla01 »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 07:42:37 AM »

The oral history of ESPN is also a great read.  ESPN hates the individuals having a "following" so they are likely fine with the exodus.  Now what will be interesting is they haven't had any real competition in years and the last 3 years they made some significant missteps that have annoyed/pissed people off to the point that they might switch to an inferior product should it become available.  So Fox Sports doesn't have to be better than ESPN they just have to better than the annoyance threshold.

If I'm ESPN I'm working proactively to stave this off because they have until August to sway the undecided.  Knowing ESPN though they will simply rely on their huge inventory of live sports content and it may get them in trouble this time.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 08:51:15 AM »
though some people love Chris Berman

Teal?   :D