collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Will The Cubs Win The World Series?

Yes
27 (32.5%)
No
56 (67.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread  (Read 90324 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread
« Reply #275 on: October 27, 2016, 11:58:22 AM »
Often overlooked is that Arrieta wasn't even an All-Star in 2015. On June 16 he had a respectable but unspectacular 3.40 ERA. From May 25 thru the end of the 2016 regular season his ERA was 3.95.  He had a historic second half of 2015. He isn't a Cy Young candidate in 2016.

Honestly, I think that Theo and FO have their doubt about whether he's going to be able to keep it up long-term, which is why they have been a bit hesitant about a contract extension. He's still under team control thru 2017 but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's wearing a different uni when 2018 begins.

I agree that next season will likely be his last as a Cub based on what he is going to want and what another team will likely pay him. 

The rotation will have a very different look come 2018.  Lester, Hendricks, probably Montgomery and then who knows. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #276 on: October 27, 2016, 12:20:54 PM »
Based on this current argument, is Kluber juicing?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #277 on: October 27, 2016, 12:27:06 PM »
Based on this current argument, is Kluber juicing?

1) Wouldn't surprise me but 2) he didn't go from a guy with a career ERA of well over 5 to suddenly below half of that in one season. He's pretty much been a stud since his first full season in the MLB. So another comparison that doesn't hold up.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #278 on: October 27, 2016, 01:16:25 PM »
1) Wouldn't surprise me but 2) he didn't go from a guy with a career ERA of well over 5 to suddenly below half of that in one season. He's pretty much been a stud since his first full season in the MLB. So another comparison that doesn't hold up.

What about Junior Guerra?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #279 on: October 27, 2016, 01:34:49 PM »
What about Junior Guerra?

Yeah I'd be surprised if he didn't take PEDs somewhere along the way.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #280 on: October 27, 2016, 01:43:11 PM »

Fair. I just remember talk of him begin rather mundane in the minors before he decided to not throw his fastball (as he couldn't control it) and focused on his pitches with movement. Since then, apparently, he's been much, much better.

I was just pointing out that a mechanical or pitch type change can effect someone's stats/success.

brandx

« Reply #281 on: October 27, 2016, 02:15:55 PM »

Yeah, but he had an ERA around 4.50 in the minors, so it's obvious what he did to become a good major leaguer.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #282 on: October 27, 2016, 02:16:45 PM »
Yeah, but he had an ERA around 4.50 in the minors, so it's obvious what he did to become a good major leaguer.

Was he in the minors until he was 28 or...?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #283 on: October 27, 2016, 02:36:29 PM »
Was he in the minors until he was 28 or...?

In 2013, at age 27, he went back and forth between AAA and the Majors.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #284 on: October 27, 2016, 02:53:33 PM »
In 2013, at age 27, he went back and forth between AAA and the Majors.

He made 2 starts in the minors.  He made 24 starts in the MLB with a 3.85 ERA.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #285 on: October 27, 2016, 03:29:37 PM »
He made 2 starts in the minors.  He made 24 starts in the MLB with a 3.85 ERA.

My bad. I thought you were still talking about Arrieta.

I assume this is in reference to Kluber.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #286 on: October 27, 2016, 03:40:03 PM »
My bad. I thought you were still talking about Arrieta.

I assume this is in reference to Kluber.

Ahh gotcha. Yes I meant Kluber. Not sure if Kluber's 2 starts in the minors were rehab starts or not. My guess would be yes because he had a solid season that year but I don't really know.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #287 on: October 27, 2016, 05:20:24 PM »
Three more wins.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #288 on: October 28, 2016, 08:58:35 AM »
Three more wins.

FWIW - I've been enjoying these.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #289 on: October 28, 2016, 09:02:33 AM »
Can't believe it's finally here. I'm fortunate enough to get to go today and Sunday. Watching Saturday may be an issue as I refuse to pay those ridiculous covers.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #290 on: October 28, 2016, 09:24:20 AM »
Can't believe it's finally here. I'm fortunate enough to get to go today and Sunday. Watching Saturday may be an issue as I refuse to pay those ridiculous covers.

I actually think that the "ridiculous covers" make a lot of sense (aside from the supply and demand aspect). For the NLCS, the Wrigleyville bars were complete madhouses, not to mention they had to have been well over capacity. From what I've heard, people couldn't move around, couldn't get to the bathrooms, couldn't get a drink, etc. It was just a mass of humanity in tight quarters. The covers should deter people from coming and make the experience much more enjoyable for those who are willing to pay it.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #291 on: October 28, 2016, 09:24:33 AM »
the only problem I have with the Cubs is that they grow up to be Bears

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #292 on: October 28, 2016, 09:59:54 AM »
I actually think that the "ridiculous covers" make a lot of sense (aside from the supply and demand aspect). For the NLCS, the Wrigleyville bars were complete madhouses, not to mention they had to have been well over capacity. From what I've heard, people couldn't move around, couldn't get to the bathrooms, couldn't get a drink, etc. It was just a mass of humanity in tight quarters. The covers should deter people from coming and make the experience much more enjoyable for those who are willing to pay it.

I was in Wrigleyville for the NLCS, and it honestly wasn't that bad, once you were in the bar. Fire code prevented it from getting too packed. The bigger issue was getting in, having to wait in line outside. They are just changing the model from rewarding people who are willing to wait to rewarding people willing to pony up a buck. I guess I don't have a huge problem with it, but the in-bar experience will be the exact same. And I'm not paying $150 to stand in a crowded bar. But to each their own.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #293 on: October 28, 2016, 10:09:25 AM »

I understand it from a business perspective.  I just think it sucks. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #294 on: October 28, 2016, 10:12:27 AM »
I understand it from a business perspective.  I just think it sucks.

You might not have heard....you can also watch it from the comfort of your own home...
Have some patience, FFS.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #295 on: October 28, 2016, 10:15:13 AM »
You might not have heard....you can also watch it from the comfort of your own home...

Where'd you hear this?  Are people talking about this?  That's tremendous. 

I just really enjoy the atmosphere of being in a crowd for such a big game.  I'm willing to get my ass up early tomorrow to go wait in line somewhere.  Picking the right spot will be tough. 

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #296 on: October 28, 2016, 12:03:03 PM »
Was just sent a tweet from someone saying Murphys is One in One out already...tomorrow will prob be earlier being the weekend.

Good luck to those that brave the masses!

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #298 on: October 28, 2016, 04:37:04 PM »
30-40 mph winds blowing out?  It might be a replay of the 23-22 game against the Phillies in the early 80's.

brandx

« Reply #299 on: October 28, 2016, 04:57:18 PM »
30-40 mph winds blowing out?  It might be a replay of the 23-22 game against the Phillies in the early 80's.

Strangely, the Phillies only used 5 pitchers in the game.

Could have been a lot worse. Phillies only scored 2 runs in the final 5 innings.

feedback