Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wow....we're huge underdogs  (Read 8598 times)

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Wow....we're huge underdogs
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2021, 09:42:34 AM »
If MU pulls the upset, do we storm the court?

(I say no)
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2021, 09:43:57 AM »
One interesting storyline is that Illinois has a number of recruits that Wojo lost out on to them. Will be curious to see how they do this season:

Brandin Podziemski
Austin Hutcherson
Coleman Hawkins
Luke Goode

Shaka also went after Al Plummer as a transfer this summer
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2021, 09:45:26 AM »
If MU pulls the upset, do we storm the court?

(I say no)

I would say no. I think that's reserved for top 5 teams (and even 4 or 5 is pushing it in my opinion). However, if the students do it, I won't get upset about it.
TAMU

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2021, 09:48:36 AM »
Wish it was our court.  Doesn't quite feel like a Marquette game playing on the Bucks court.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2021, 09:48:49 AM »
I would say no. I think that's reserved for top 5 teams (and even 4 or 5 is pushing it in my opinion). However, if the students do it, I won't get upset about it.

Did you think the Vesties might storm the court?  ;D

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2021, 09:50:42 AM »
Scoops own expert prognosticators see MU losing by 10.4 points. See prediction contest.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2021, 09:55:09 AM »
Yeah knew that.

Considering they both played full workloads and finished healthy.

They are just as likely to be out as any other player in this game.

Heck, I’d be more worried Kolek plays than either of them.

Shooting last game aside, we can really use Kolek this game, especially with Elliot out. U of I has an excellent defense overall and a great individual defender in Trent Frazier. Assuming he locks down Morsell, other guys are going to have to step up offensively. Hopefully we will have a much better shooting night than we have demonstrated so far. I'm a big fan of Greg Elliot, but he really let the team down with whatever he did to get a lengthy suspension. We sure could use his knock down shooting.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2021, 09:55:46 AM »
It's an enormous spread for a home power conf team.  Especially with Illinois" injuries.  I mean seriously does this mean UCLA will be favored by 25 in Milwaukee?  Axe the nonsense and defeatist attitude.  Our team has been disrespected and should have something to prove.  We're not playing worldbeaters, the opportunity is there.  Now obviously if we win it would be an upset with our brand new roster and youth, but I refuse to believe we should be heavy underdogs tonight.  We're due to hit some shots and again we have absolutely nothing to lose.  Punch them early and often and let's see how this pans out later.

The spread is now -8, at least with Caesars. Also, MU has failed to cover the spread in their first two games.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 09:57:17 AM by Tums Festival »
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2021, 09:57:09 AM »
Did you think the Vesties might storm the court?  ;D

If there's a court storming, I'm joining.  And I'm 60.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2021, 10:00:31 AM »
I'm picturing Shaka trying to explain to O Max how being a 8.5 dog is such a slap in the face.

Why? Is "O Max" known to be of low intelligence?

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2021, 10:01:00 AM »
I refuse to believe we should be heavy underdogs tonight. 

Nothing Marquette has done over the first two games leads me to believe they're ready to meet this level of competition yet. And that's totally fine, it's a process.

I'd love for them to have a crazy outlier shooting night, go on a heater from three, and pull off the upset. But I'm not counting on it.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2021, 10:03:15 AM »
Bet $5 on the money line for MU. Cheaper than a beer at Fserv.  Upsets do happen and the first road game is always hard to win.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2021, 10:06:31 AM »
Shooting last game aside, we can really use Kolek this game, especially with Elliot out. U of I has an excellent defense overall and a great individual defender in Trent Frazier. Assuming he locks down Morsell, other guys are going to have to step up offensively. Hopefully we will have a much better shooting night than we have demonstrated so far. I'm a big fan of Greg Elliot, but he really let the team down with whatever he did to get a lengthy suspension. We sure could use his knock down shooting.

Agreed Kolek will be huge. Hopefully he can knock a few down. But also just need him to keep things under control and find guys in their spots like the first game. And hopefully guys hit the shots.

You’re right about Greg. He’s got a real role as a shooter on this team and not having him is killer. Especially Thursdays game as well which is much more winnable.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

fjm

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2021, 10:08:42 AM »
Illini favored by 8.5.  We should have a huge chip on our shoulders.

Should be Illinois by 10.

Love your optimism muggsy. I’m super optimistic about this team too.

I don’t think this message board is gonna ruin the team tonight.

And if you think this is bad? Wait til MU losses 3 in a row. Scoop will have some choice words.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2021, 10:09:15 AM »
I am super-pi$$ed that we're so disrespected!!!  >:( >:( >:(

There. I hope that helps, Muggs!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2021, 10:11:33 AM »
Shooting last game aside, we can really use Kolek this game

I hope he can play

fjm

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2021, 10:11:38 AM »
I am super-pi$$ed that we're so disrespected!!!  >:( >:( >:(

There. I hope that helps, Muggs!

👍🏼👍🏼

1SE

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2021, 10:12:20 AM »
A single digit loss likely means the game was competitive throughout - a very reasonable outcome. I fully expect that this season is rough, but if we can be competitive in every game I'll be happy - the thing I couldn't stand was the Wojo deer-in-headlines 1000 yard stare when we're getting the doors blown off. I would be very surprised if we ever see anything like that from Shaka - I expect us to be fighting to the very end in every game.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Goose

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2021, 10:22:57 AM »
While the first two games have been far from impressive, I am expecting a better effort. IMO playing smarter, especially on the D side of the ball would do wonders for this team. They have had a ton of activity playing D, but a lot of wasting effort and energy. I do not think that they steal a W and would be happy with a smarter overall effort.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2021, 10:25:11 AM »
A single digit loss likely means the game was competitive throughout - a very reasonable outcome. I fully expect that this season is rough, but if we can be competitive in every game I'll be happy - the thing I couldn't stand was the Wojo deer-in-headlines 1000 yard stare when we're getting the doors blown off. I would be very surprised if we ever see anything like that from Shaka - I expect us to be fighting to the very end in every game.

That's a nice sentiment and all, but every coach has clunkers and gets the doors blown off on occasion. It will happen to Shaka, hopefully not as often as it happened to Wojo.
TAMU

1SE

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2021, 10:33:47 AM »
That's a nice sentiment and all, but every coach has clunkers and gets the doors blown off on occasion. It will happen to Shaka, hopefully not as often as it happened to Wojo.

Oh, of course we'll get the doors blown off - but I don't expect Shaka to give up like Wojo did and basically stand there looking like a dumba$$.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2021, 10:40:04 AM »
Oh, of course we'll get the doors blown off - but I don't expect Shaka to give up like Wojo did and basically stand there looking like a dumba$$.

I hope he yells more.  Yelling = Wins
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2021, 10:45:22 AM »
Should be Illinois by 10.

Love your optimism muggsy. I’m super optimistic about this team too.

I don’t think this message board is gonna ruin the team tonight.

I'm honestly venting a bit out loud.  I know there are quite a few worries about this team but I have ti believe tonight we will see a different focus and intensity.  I fully understand everyone's point of view here but 8.5 really surprised me.  I also expect far less ticky-tack officiating.  Anyway, if we play with great effort and tenacity and fall way short I can live it..  until the next game.

And if you think this is bad? Wait til MU losses 3 in a row. Scoop will have some choice words.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2021, 10:51:16 AM »

So we won't try 1-5 standard pick and roll actions at the start of each play on offense? or a left wing 1-4 pick and pop? And we won't run a half court man to man hard hedge defense not going for any passes for the entire game?

What is this madeness?

1SE

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2021, 10:53:35 AM »
I hope he yells more.  Yelling = Wins

I just hope he has an ingame Plan B and Plan C, instead of just trying the same thing that isn't work, but harder

feedback