Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wring out the Hoyas  (Read 12879 times)

tower912

• All American
Wring out the Hoyas
« on: December 28, 2016, 09:45:07 PM »
1.  Duane, hurry back.  Looked like a groin.
2.  Most consistent defense of the season.   Even when Georgetown made their run in the first half, it was because they were making contested shots, not because MU was playing poor defense. 
3.  A little thing that really impressed me is how hard Sam kept playing even though he couldn't hit a 3.  Same with Haanif. 
4.  JjJ played so well.... and then stood and watched as the play happened on the other end after not getting a call.  BTW, he WAS fouled.   But still......
5.   Did not see the scenario coming where both of the PG's would be in foul trouble.   Yes, KR, HC, Duane (when healthy) and JjJ can all start the offense.    Bringing it up against pressure, on the other hand........  Rowsey's 5th was sooooooo dumb. 
6.  Deflections from everyone.   Luke tipping out offensive rebounds.    THESE are winning plays.
7.  Standing around on offense and milking the clock is not a winning play for this team.   Ever. 
8.  If somebody re-watches this game, track how many times the announcers screwed up names.  Dreadful
9.  Need to finish confidently.    Tightened up down the stretch.   I'll say it again.   Don't stand still, ever.   
10.  Nice to have good free throw shooting down the stretch. 
11.   MU was supposed to win this game.   MU needed to win this game.    MU did what it needed to to win this game.   Bravo. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:57:27 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JD

• All American
Re: Ring out the Hoyas
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 09:47:55 PM »
12. Howard is an MU fans wet dream
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:51:59 PM by JD »
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 09:48:39 PM »
Agree, best defense by far.  And Luke tipped it out, what, four times? Nice game from JJJ, but Markus 2 SOTG.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 09:50:54 PM »
Great team effort.
HC needs to continue to grow.
JJJ needs to play an entire game.
Love Rowsey--will do something stupid each game but I'll take it.
Love to see Kaitin limit his strong desire to chuck it up.
Frosh were great.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 09:51:15 PM »
Great win to start conference play.

I do have a question though.  There were two instances on GTown inbounds plays that led to buckets where JJJ didn't put his body between the inbounder on the baseline and the basket. It's happened a number of other times this season as well.

I thought positioning yourself so a pass can't be made directly into the lane is the proper defensive technique. Am I missing something here?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 09:53:22 PM »
Good points all. What else stood out to me:

• MU capitalized on 15 Georgetown turnovers and committed just 12 (including the meaningless shot clock violation to end the game). Not a huge difference, but an important one.
• Rowsey had his best game in a Marquette uniform. He and Howard combined for 34 points (including 8-10 shooting from 3), 5 assists and 3 steals. That's a strong combination at the point.
• Fischer played tough down low with a game-high 10 boards.
• Marquette contested nearly every shot, giving Pryor very few good looks. Peak was pretty much a non-factor.
• MU gets the win with Luke and Haanif scoring just 11 points. Lots of scoring options on this team.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 09:54:05 PM »
Man, it feels good to win tough Big East games again.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 09:54:29 PM »
Oh yeah, I think the subject should have been "Wring out the Hoyas."

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
JRe: Ring out the Hoyas
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 09:54:59 PM »
Always spot on Tower.

3 really caught my attention tonight, specifically with Hannif.  He really did the small things and kept grinding.  When his O hits it is going to be a nice run.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 09:55:40 PM »
Last season, if HC had a poor game, there is no way we win a game like this.  This year we're getting scoring from all over.  Makes it tougher for a team to prepare for us.  Much more fun to be a fan this season.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 09:55:59 PM »
That Pryor was unbelievable until the last minute.  Some of those shots the defender did actually hit his wrist and he still drained it.  You can't get any closer.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 09:56:50 PM »
Markus Howard is the best frosh since the Amigos.

Howard/Rowsey are the best PG since James.  I don't think we will miss Traci much.

Defense much improved.  Even the run that the Hoyas went on in the first half was due to good shots, many of which were well defended.

tower912

• All American
Re: Wring out the Hoyas
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 09:57:09 PM »
Oh yeah, I think the subject should have been "Wring out the Hoyas."

Dammit.   You win. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 09:57:48 PM »
Love to see Kaitin limit his strong desire to chuck it up.

I thought Katin played within himself tonight. He only took 6 shots. One nice spin drive IIRC and a post-up. On at least 2-3 of the others, he got the ball at the very end of the possession and had to put one up — whether it was a good shot or not.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 09:57:51 PM »
There is some sort of irony here when JJJ said the GTown players looked like they didnt "want to play defense" some possessions and yet there JJJ was, standing around, on defense.  ::)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 09:58:29 PM »
Always spot on Tower.

3 really caught my attention tonight, specifically with Hannif.  He really did the small things and kept grinding.  When his O hits it is going to be a nice run.

Haanif does everything well.  He didn't score much but played real good defense and took over at point when Howard and Rowsey were in foul trouble.  Glue guy.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 09:59:37 PM »
There is some sort of irony here when JJJ said the GTown players looked like they didnt "want to play defense" some possessions and yet there JJJ was, standing around, on defense.  ::)

He stood around for exactly one possession.  JJJ was great tonight.  Don't let that one time taint that.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 09:59:45 PM »
Dammit. You win.

Call it an assist. Marquette wins.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 09:59:52 PM »
Markus Howard is the best frosh since the Amigos.

Howard/Rowsey are the best PG since James.  I don't think we will miss Traci much.

Defense much improved.  Even the run that the Hoyas went on in the first half was due to good shots, many of which were well defended.
Henry was pretty good too...

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 10:00:45 PM »

He stood around for exactly one possession.  JJJ was great tonight.  Don't let that one time taint that.

I should have used teal, my bad

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 10:00:59 PM »

LOL, I actually forgot about him!  OK....second best...for now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 10:01:22 PM »
This is the first W in a long time where we never trailed the entire game. Can't think of the last that happened. We were tied 26 all but we never got behind. A coast to coast victory.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JD

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 10:01:55 PM »

In my opinion Howard is much better then Henry for MU
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

chapman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 10:02:26 PM »
Great to win any Big East game (see game before ours). 

Starting with defense is a way to win in the Big East.  More of this please.

JJ was outstanding.  Next step is not to press harder, but be vocal and pull his teammates up.

Being lights out from three and a 97% free throw shooter is a good way for a freshman to have a major role.

Loved the tip out plays by Luke.  When you're the tree it's a weak move.  When they're bigger than we are and crashing the boards, it's a smart play. 

Too many "heads down" plays.  Drives without a finish, struggling to beat the press against a slow team.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 10:03:43 PM »
In my opinion Howard is much better then Henry for MU
Love Markus, but he has a much deeper and more experienced group around him and isn't being asked to carry the entire team
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback