Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Write-up about Buzz on UNC board  (Read 5667 times)

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
Write-up about Buzz on UNC board
« on: March 31, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »
Delete this is it is already posted elsewhere.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=11428036

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
Re: Write-up about Buzz on UNC board
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 02:47:46 PM »
Some of those responses on the board to that story should be reason enough on why Buzz would not fit in at a giant liberal state school

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 02:53:32 PM »
Nice story. For those of us who have followed Buzz, there is nothing new here.  However, I find some of the comments interesting. Some of the posters politicized what the first poster reported.  Buzz is not a "politically correct" guy. It isn't in his DNA. I hope we continue to be a place where his quirkiness and idiosyncrasies continue to be tolerated.

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 02:55:10 PM »
Some of those responses on the board to that story should be reason enough on why Buzz would not fit in at a giant liberal state school

Presumably - but the state of Texas is home to zero liberal state schools.
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 02:59:13 PM »
University of Texas is

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 03:43:38 PM »
University of Texas is

That's probably true.  It's definitely not nearly as liberal as a school like UNC though.  As public universities go, Texas has to be considered on the conservative side of the spectrum.
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 03:49:47 PM »
University of Texas is

Although Austin is quite liberal, the UT boosters are definitely conservative.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 03:59:58 PM »
buzz would be just fine at a large liberal school.  nothing more pathetic than mu thinking it can take a moral high ground.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 04:11:54 PM »
buzz would be just fine at a large liberal school.  nothing more pathetic than mu thinking it can take a moral high ground.

I'm not sure that was the point.
Rather, I think the poster was suggesting Buzz might not be happy at a place where public displays and proclamations of faith generally are frowned upon.

I have no idea if that would be the case or not (or whether Buzz would care), but I'm pretty sure nobody was laying claim to a moral high ground.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 04:32:14 PM »
Rather, I think the poster was suggesting Buzz might not be happy at a place where public displays and proclamations of faith generally are frowned upon.

I have no idea if that would be the case or not (or whether Buzz would care), but I'm pretty sure nobody was laying claim to a moral high ground.
i don't know that any on this thread were...

i guess i don't understand the link to conservatives in this thread.  north carolina has a proud tradition of doing things right academically, especially in the research triangle area.  the history as to why tuition is rather affordable, why they didn't shy away from forced busing in their public education system, etc. seem like things that people of faith should appreciate.  i believe that would mesh well with what buzz preaches.  there was plenty of religion on the "liberal" state schools i attended...they were well attended and respected, unless they wanted to push hate.  i've never seen or heard buzz push hate. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 04:36:32 PM by avid1010 »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 04:37:07 PM »
i don't know that any on this thread were...

i guess i don't understand the link to conservatives in this thread.  north carolina has a proud tradition of doing things right academically, especially in the research triangle area.  the history as to why tuition is rather affordable, why they didn't shy away from forced busing in their public education system, etc. seem like things that people of faith should appreciate. 

Apparently you haven't been paying that close of attention:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/04/2044178/report-finds-academic-fraud-evidence.html

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 04:44:28 PM »

Didn't realize there was such a difference between the city and the school.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 04:51:39 PM by Groin_pull »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 04:49:36 PM »
Apparently you haven't been paying that close of attention:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/04/2044178/report-finds-academic-fraud-evidence.html
i have...not sure i would take that as an indication of how the university preforms as a whole. 

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 04:49:58 PM »

I was not claiming moral High ground, I was just saying that the two comments on the NC board were anything but positive  I guess a sample of two is a poor sample

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 04:54:31 PM »
i have...not sure i would take that as an indication of how the university preforms as a whole. 

No, but it's also not an indication that the university has a "proud tradition of doing things right academically."

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 05:01:28 PM »
No, but it's also not an indication that the university has a "proud tradition of doing things right academically."

as someone who spends a lot of time in this area...the research triangle, from grades kindergarten through doctoral degree, do amazing things for students.  a tradition much better than that of our state in many regards...specifically in making sure all students get a fair opportunity at success, and an affordable education.  if i could pick any school district in the nation to put my kids in, it would be wake county. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 05:03:50 PM by avid1010 »

Atlanta Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 05:25:32 PM »
Simply stated, the one element, that has not been clearly discussed in this thread, is that Buzz can freely express & practice his faith at MU BECAUSE IT IS MU. Marquette, being a faith based university, affords Buzz the opportunity to openly discuss & profess his faith without fear of recrimination that may take place at a public university where administrators would want a clear delineation between "church & state." Frankly, of all the schools that have allegedly taken a run @ Buz the one that most concerned me was SMU. A chance to return home to Texas at another faith based university (a Protestant one at that) had to at least intrigue Buzz. Here's hoping Buzz continues feel valued and blessed to be at MU so we can continue to be blessed by his presence as a coach and teacher.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 05:35:28 PM »
Buzz would fit in just fine at a wide variety of types of places.  When did religious equal conservative?  Lots of and lots of religious liberals, moderates, independents, conservatives, and non out there.  Buzz takes calculated risks and chances on people and things.  From a non-religious perspective, his professional behavior is quite liberal in actuality. 

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 06:12:29 PM »
Nice story. For those of us who have followed Buzz, there is nothing new here.  However, I find some of the comments interesting. Some of the posters politicized what the first poster reported.  Buzz is not a "politically correct" guy. It isn't in his DNA. I hope we continue to be a place where his quirkiness and idiosyncrasies continue to be tolerated.

When has Buzz ever been "non-politically correct?"

I think he conducts himself very well. His dancing and stuff like that has nothing to do with political correctness or politics at all for that matter.

We Are Marquette

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 06:22:27 PM »
NO you are incorrect, I lived there. That is a very liberal school and everyone there knows it. Austin is a nice town and liberal in general as a whole.

Texas a. M. On the other hand is conservative.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 06:22:46 PM »

You have obviously never been to Austin

Death on call

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 06:53:37 PM »
My wife is a Texas native and a UT grad. UT is liberal and so is Austin.  Rice is a also a very liberal university.  Both are great schools and Buzz would fit in just fine at either place.  The grads from both schools are diverse in their political views, kind of the like Wisconsin or even (God forbid) Marquette.

My hope is that we don't have to find out how Buzz might adjust to another school's culture.  He seems to be doing A-OK at MU.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 07:07:32 PM »

Something from this article doesn't make sense:
"During the first one hundred days of a freshman's involvement in his program, Buzz meets with them on a daily basis. They come to his office, and he prays with them, even the kids who don't believe in God. Buzz told me he's had a few awkward silences! After praying with each other, they embrace each other. And Coach Williams tells them he loves them."

Didn't Mayo say when he returned following his summer suspension that one of the problems is that he never really formed a relationship with Buzz his freshman year?  The relationship was only with one of the departed assistants?  How in the world can a player meet every day with Buzz--resulting in hugs and praying--and not wind up with some sort of relationship?

I suspect we need to take the NC article with a grain of salt.

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 07:10:30 PM »
You have obviously never been to Austin

Going to Austin is irrelevant.  The general vibe of a city and the donors at a university are not the same.

Regardless though, I don't see it as worth arguing.  If UT is liberal, and liberal means Buzz won't fit in, one less reason for Buzz to leave Milwaukee.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 07:12:32 PM by MUFlutieEffect »

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 08:16:24 PM »
As an atheist alum of Marquette I really appreciate Buzz's religion as I think he uses it as a way to bond very deeply with his players. It gives them something they both love deeply and appreciate together outside of basketball.

Scooter22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 10:30:41 PM »
Thanks for the link, I found this to be a good story...  unfortunately, the thread on that board disintegrated quickly.  Put in perspective, having someone pray for you shows that they care about you, even if you don't agree with their theology.  Buzz cares about his players.