'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wrongful Speculation by Scoopers  (Read 18170 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Wrongful Speculation by Scoopers
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2010, 06:58:14 PM »

This can also be said of Pearl, Lavin, Pastner, Greenberg, et al.

And a fair number of threads on MUScoop.....
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2010, 07:08:13 PM »
Yes, TC was all of those things but he revived Marquette basketball and after he bolted, the program was given to a much better coach, recruiter and person (IMO). Isn't that a fair trade off?

If TC left and the program fell apart or was under NCAA investigation, I could see the animosity. However, Buzz appears to be a better man for the job, leading me to believe that TC's departure was a blessing. Despite bringing in D-Wade and coaching the team to the Final Four, the most lasting "gift" that Crean gave to MU was leaving Milwaukee for Crimsoner pastures.

Only a true diehard Crean fan would not be convinced that MU's prospects have improved since his departure.  The sucess that Crean had would have made it nearly impossible to push him out.  So, I agree completely (as have several others) that Crean's leaving was a fortunate turn of events for Marquette.  Like most, I'd much rather have Buzz as the University's face to the college basketball world.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2010, 10:46:34 PM »
Only a true diehard Crean fan would not be convinced that MU's prospects have improved since his departure.  The sucess that Crean had would have made it nearly impossible to push him out.  So, I agree completely (as have several others) that Crean's leaving was a fortunate turn of events for Marquette.  Like most, I'd much rather have Buzz as the University's face to the college basketball world.

I don't think you are properly categorizing people.   You don't have to be a diehard Crean fan or hater to be cautious before saying you want to marry this coach.  ;)  The NCAA is littered with coaches that inherited great situations, had a few good years and then collapsed and burned.  (Or even coaches that didn't inherit great situations, started a house on fire but didn't sustain it.)  I don't think that will happen with Buzz, but the point remains that 2 years is a drop in the bucket to evaluate the long term success or even predict with certainty where things will end up.

In a few more years, if things went sour would you change your tune?  What if we missed the NCAAs?  What if we had some major issues with a recruit (grades, off court, etc)?  You get the idea.  He's done a great job so far, I do question some of the recruiting risks, I wish we were relying much less on JUCOS (but I get it), but so far a great job.  Let's hope he keeps it up. 

Some very critical times potentially coming up for MU hoops with conference realignment, etc.  We need to remain strong so when the music stops, we have a chair to sit in and a partner to dance with.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2010, 08:39:58 PM »
Interesting thread to re-read over a month later.  Kinda feels like you're in Back to the Future.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2010, 08:48:36 PM »
Interesting thread to re-read over a month later.  Kinda feels like you're in Back to the Future.

Kinda feels like this isn't something occurred 'at the eleventh hour' as some have claimed this week.   
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2010, 08:54:35 PM »
Kinda feels like this isn't something occurred 'at the eleventh hour' as some have claimed this week.   

The "11th hour" thing was the notification to Newbill that he was gone.   Wilson was talking to Marquette MONTHS AGO per some of the rumors, who contacted whom is an interesting question as well......

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2010, 08:57:37 PM »
The "11th hour" thing was the notification to Newbill that he was gone.   Wilson was talking to Marquette MONTHS AGO per some of the rumors, who contacted whom is an interesting question as well......

Why don't you dig into that, SP?  Or better yet, don't bother and stick with your normal routine and make things up - I'm sure the conclusions you create in your twisted mind will be good for at least 90 posts over the course of a few hours.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2010, 09:02:21 PM »
Why don't you dig into that, SP?  Or better yet, don't bother and stick with your normal routine and make things up - I'm sure the conclusions you create in your twisted mind will be good for at least 90 posts over the course of a few hours.

There you go again, calling Newbill and his coaches, liars.  That certainly should reflect well on prospective recruits.  It's always good to call your recruits and their liars, it works really well.   ::)    As for the Wilson stuff, I said it was a rumor and there are plenty of people on this board that have heard it and talked about it and hinted about it months ago.  Take it up with them.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2010, 09:17:54 PM »
Interesting thread to re-read over a month later.  Kinda feels like you're in Back to the Future.

I've referenced this thread recently, and in one thread apologized to Golden Avalanche..for calling him out..when what he predicted basically turned out to be true.  Point being, if a random Scooper knew back in late May the DJ wasn't coming to MU - I'm sure the Newbill camp had some inclination/understanding as such.  In retrospect, I find it very ironic at that very time (end of May) is when Philly Coach and Brad Forester started with their posts.

My conspiracy theory is that:  By Philly Coach and Brad posting what they did 1 month ago..perhaps it would back Buzz into a corner and create a PR nightmare for him..if he chose not to bring DJ on campus..assuming PHilly Coach thought Buzz/MU basketball staff reads these boards on occasion - which we know to be true.  So, by Philly Coach saying over 1 month ago DJ definitely would be on campus...it now seems like the rug was pulled out from DJ last minute..cause most all of us were lead to believe he'd be here..by Philly Coach.   If it was so concrete 1 month ago - I still cannot fathom why he hadn't sent in his MU application.  Personally, I think he was told by the MU staff to not send in the application..as we were still recruiting and there was still a chance DJ would be asked to prep (as originally discussed in the recruitment.)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:35:19 PM by Ners »
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2010, 09:21:20 PM »
There you go again, calling Newbill and his coaches, liars.  That certainly should reflect well on prospective recruits.  It's always good to call your recruits and their liars, it works really well.   ::)    As for the Wilson stuff, I said it was a rumor and there are plenty of people on this board that have heard it and talked about it and hinted about it months ago.  Take it up with them.

I didn't call anyone a liar - although I have quite a few names that I'll refrain from using for you.  Not everything in life is so extreme and cut and dry.  No wonder your wife does the things she does.

Litehouse

• All American
Re: DJ Newbill
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2010, 11:18:27 PM »
The highlights in here from my perspective...

I'll write this and walk off into the sunset (hoping the mods delete the thread): the chapter on spring recruiting and adding members to next year's team is not yet over.
People obviously knew what was going on with Newbill.

its funny how people say things out of ignorance but in case some dont know signing national letter of intent and scholarship papers is a legally binding contract with both parties and before any school sends out the nli or scholarship papers ie contracts the players sat scores and transcript must be reviewed by the universities ncaa complience person who then gives the coaching staff a yea or neh on whether this kid will be qualified by the clearinghouse. If yea scholarship papers are sent to the kid and signed then sat scores and hs transcripts are sent to the ncaa clearinghouse at the time of the signing and again after the kid graduates for final approval. This is done for two reason prob more but the main two r to check core course gpa and align it with the sat score and to make sure each univ or college hav the correct amount of scholarships thats aloted. To go to a prep the kid who is qualified would hav to agree to give up his schollie or it would b a breach of contract. Dj wil be an eagle for sure.

PhillyCoach sure seems to be trying really hard to convince everyone that DJ is coming no matter what because he signed the NLI, almost like MU will be forced to take him.  It doesn't matter what conditions were laid out before he signed, those don't matter anymore because they have the signed NLI.  MU can't take away the scholie unless they agree, and they're not going to agree.

No one has been proven wrong about anything and no one will be proven wrong about anything until first semester starts next year.  It might be wise to avoid attacking people about being wrong until you see what actually happens.
When bma talks, people listen.

dj doesnt know about this stuff nor does he need to know. he is very confident in himself as a student athlete and i intend on encouraging him to strive to be the best.
I'm not exactly sure if he's referring to the message board speculation or the alleged contingency deal, but either way, maybe someone should have let DJ know what was going on.

I know everyone wants big men but if u noticed the game has become guard oriented quality bigs are rare on every level of the game height is needed but talent and team chemistry along with heart and hard working players is wats gona win ball games. Dj chose mu not bcuz of size or name or even the big east he chose mu bcuz he saw a coach that gets the maximum from the players and he had that all of his life so why not continue that process. I think the mu fans and coaches are going to b surprized at wat the will see in dj newbill and im not just say that bcuz im in his circle
That's the first mention of taking a big instead of DJ.  It comes from PhillyCoach and it lines up with the unofficial MU version of the story.  And again, he keeps hyping DJ, saying we're going to be suprised with what we see.