'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East tournament  (Read 1952 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

Big East tournament
« on: February 25, 2008, 08:47:57 PM »
Does anybody have potential brackets for the Big East tournament? The way we are playing right now, we could be in the thick of things if Louisville is in the other side of the draw.

If we were to win that thing...let's just say that's a banner that would be legitimate to hang in the Bradley Center.

I didn't see much of the game, but great win. And great to see Acker contributing so much.

bma725

• All American
Re: Big East tournament
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 09:04:03 PM »
I think as of right now, MU is on the same side of the bracket as Louisville.  MU would be the 5 seed and would play Depaul in round 1, UConn in round 2, and Louisville in round semi final if the seeds hold.  Louisville would have a tough game in their first one though, not sure about the tie breakers exactly but they would be playing either Pitt, Villanova or Syracuse.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 09:08:29 PM »
would like to see UCONN to swap with ND...just think it would be a better matchup for MU in the 2nd round

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 09:14:10 PM »
If the tournament started now, at a little after 9 on February 25th, MU would be a 5 seed.

Rutgers, USF, Providence, and St. John's would miss the cut.

The first day would feature...

#5   Marquette
#12  DePaul--------->Winner plays #4 Connecticut

#8  Pittsburgh
#9  Villanova-------->Winner plays #1 Louisville (Beats GTown on head to head)

#7  Cincinnati
#10 Syracuse------->Winner plays #2 Georgetown

#6  West Virginia
#11 Seton Hall------>Winner plays #3 Notre Dame

So FOR NOW, we would not have to play Louisville untill the Semifinal.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 11:03:33 PM »

With that seeding, I'd rather have the 6 seed. 

The six wouldn't face either UL or UConn until the championship game. 

The five faces UConn in the 2nd round, UL in the 3rd round, and the Championship game would be the Georgetown/UL winner.

Matchup wise, I like our chances of reaching the championship game if we're a #6:
Seton Hall then Notre Dame, then Georgetown then the Louisville/UConn winner.

If we're a #5, the matchup problem with UConn is still there, and I don't see us running the UConn and UL gauntlet to reach the championship.
Depaul then UConn then Louisville than the Georgetown/ND winner.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 11:06:16 PM »
How 'bout we just beat Georgetown and Syarcuse and minimize the importance of the BET? Make it a much to gain, little to lose scenario.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 08:35:42 AM »
Navin -- my point is that, a Big East tourney championship would be such an outstanding achievement that whatever we did in the NCAA would be gravy. I don't normally think that way about conference tourneys, but I think the Big East tournament is a different animal.

But let's not put the cart before the horse.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 08:48:32 AM »

With that seeding, I'd rather have the 6 seed. 

The six wouldn't face either UL or UConn until the championship game. 

The five faces UConn in the 2nd round, UL in the 3rd round, and the Championship game would be the Georgetown/UL winner.

Matchup wise, I like our chances of reaching the championship game if we're a #6:
Seton Hall then Notre Dame, then Georgetown then the Louisville/UConn winner.

If we're a #5, the matchup problem with UConn is still there, and I don't see us running the UConn and UL gauntlet to reach the championship.
Depaul then UConn then Louisville than the Georgetown/ND winner.

Completely agree

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 08:52:07 AM »
Navin -- my point is that, a Big East tourney championship would be such an outstanding achievement that whatever we did in the NCAA would be gravy. I don't normally think that way about conference tourneys, but I think the Big East tournament is a different animal.

But let's not put the cart before the horse.

Gravy with a capital G.  Just playing 3-4 straight games at MSG would be huge for the program. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mug644

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 10:38:28 AM »
Is it too early, or too complicated to figure out the potential variations in seeding for the BET? I mean, what's the highest seed we can earn, if we win our last two games and others ahead of us lose? What's the lowest we can drop?

feedback