Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Problem Wojo or Markus?  (Read 17687 times)

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Re: Problem Wojo or Markus?
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2019, 08:43:56 PM »
Whatever the case, this is about Joey.  Sam was not leaving for one year.  Siggghh....

EXACTLY. Sam took one for team Hauser.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2019, 08:45:14 PM »
Whatever the case, this is about Joey.  Sam was not leaving for one year.  Siggghh....

Actually Sam did.  We can hypothesize all we want but sam, the guy who outscored many MU greats and was widely beloved by the MU faithful left for one year. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2019, 08:48:45 PM »

To quote a famous show, "You know nothing, Nukem2".

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2019, 08:51:35 PM »
To quote a famous show, "You know nothing, Nukem2".
Nor do you.  This is all conjecture.

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2019, 08:57:48 PM »
EXACTLY. Sam took one for team Hauser.

Does not pass the smell test.   Joey was impatient, wanted more in less time.   But Sam was the driver here..... no way he makes this move in his senior year in which he had All-Big-East potential just because his younger (less effective) brother was unhappy with his role.   Sam couldn't take another year of Markus-ball, and it appears Wojo wasn't able to convince him that he could or wanted to rein Markus in.   I love my brothers, but if either one of them asked me to make a move that might railroad my future because they couldn't handle one season of not being "the guy" I would tell them to derelick my balls, it was nice playing with you.   

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2019, 08:59:49 PM »
Last week Dodds posted: "I think an extension for Wojo would be smart"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2019, 09:07:43 PM »
No.  A ton of minutes just opened up, so other guys who might’ve transferred could stay now because of that.

This is 100% a program issue.  Wojo had to keep the Hausers.  It’s an absolute embarrassment that he couldn’t manage to do it.  My god, how could anyone believe otherwise?

So now the minutes available matter, but to Sam and Joey they didn't? Those guys were going to get a ton next season.

If the program/wojo is so bad right now that the Hausers transfer regardless of minutes, why would others stay regardless of minutes?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2019, 09:09:05 PM »
****Remind me 9 months time

Wojo supporters will use this event as an excuse to validate not firing wojo for another 3 years. Cause you know, he has to see a full class go through. Even though he cant seem to keep one.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2019, 09:10:15 PM »
Really disappointed by the Hausers quitting the team.  It seems like a lousy decision. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2019, 09:15:55 PM »
Does not pass the smell test.   Joey was impatient, wanted more in less time.   But Sam was the driver here..... no way he makes this move in his senior year in which he had All-Big-East potential just because his younger (less effective) brother was unhappy with his role.   Sam couldn't take another year of Markus-ball, and it appears Wojo wasn't able to convince him that he could or wanted to rein Markus in.   I love my brothers, but if either one of them asked me to make a move that might railroad my future because they couldn't handle one season of not being "the guy" I would tell them to derelick my balls, it was nice playing with you.   

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2019, 09:17:29 PM »
I think Sam ultimately wants to win.  He seems to be incredibly competitive on the court, and I don't think he felt staying with Markus and Co. would allow him to get a national championship.  Maybe he thought being ranked in the top 10 only to fizzle out early in the NCAA's was was the ceiling. 

Getting to play at Virginia or wherever he goes, perhaps he feels will be a better team with a chance to win it all.  Pure speculation obviously, but I can't come up with many other reasonable options in this bizarre situation. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2019, 09:22:34 PM »
I think Sam ultimately wants to win.  He seems to be incredibly competitive on the court, and I don't think he felt staying with Markus and Co. would allow him to get a national championship.  Maybe he thought being ranked in the top 10 only to fizzle out early in the NCAA's was was the ceiling. 

Getting to play at Virginia or wherever he goes, perhaps he feels will be a better team with a chance to win it all.  Pure speculation obviously, but I can't come up with many other reasonable options in this bizarre situation.

Congrats, this is the stupidest post of a stupid day.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2019, 09:23:51 PM »
If the program/wojo is so bad right now that the Hausers transfer regardless of minutes, why would others stay regardless of minutes?

That’s a good question. We may not be out of the woods yet.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2019, 09:25:29 PM »
That’s a good question. We may not be out of the woods yet.

True. Maybe we aren't.

But that wasn't the stance of the person I was responding to

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2019, 09:36:09 PM »

Please enlighten us....why exactly did Sam want to leave?  It certainly isn't to increase his draft stock by waiting till he is 24.  I doubt he is leaving solely for Joey, but I suppose its possible.  It's not outrageous to think he grew tired of losing 6 out 7 watching Markus ball.  He probably thought it would happen again this year.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 09:37:55 PM by 4th and State »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2019, 09:44:26 PM »
Please enlighten us....why exactly did Sam want to leave?  It certainly isn't to increase his draft stock by waiting till he is 24.  I doubt he is leaving solely for Joey, but I suppose its possible.  It's not outrageous to think he grew tired of losing 6 out 7 watching Markus ball.  He probably thought it would happen again this year.

Your argument was that Sam wants to win.  Marquette was expected to win a lot next year.

So clearly, its not that.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2019, 09:59:01 PM »
Your argument was that Sam wants to win.  Marquette was expected to win a lot next year.

So clearly, its not that.

We were also expected to win at some point after February 23 this year. Look at what happened. Expectations don't always mean a whole lot.

The idea that the Hausers were frustrated with Wojo's coaching and gameplanning makes sense. And for that to escalate as we collapsed game after game to close out the season also makes sense. I'm guessing this built up over the season, and they decided they would be better off playing for someone other than Wojo even if it means they have to sit for a year.

And remember, they're not the only starters to leave the program under Wojo. I think this has a whole lot more to do with Wojo's management choices than Sam or Joey's NBA potential.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2019, 10:03:47 PM »
We were also expected to win at some point after February 23 this year. Look at what happened. Expectations don't always mean a whole lot.

The idea that the Hausers were frustrated with Wojo's coaching and gameplanning makes sense. And for that to escalate as we collapsed game after game to close out the season also makes sense. I'm guessing this built up over the season, and they decided they would be better off playing for someone other than Wojo even if it means they have to sit for a year.

And remember, they're not the only starters to leave the program under Wojo. I think this has a whole lot more to do with Wojo's management choices than Sam or Joey's NBA potential.

I'm not refuting that.  He said verbatim, "I think Sam ultimately wants to win".

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2019, 10:25:27 PM »

I don't know--- pretty high bar.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2019, 10:28:33 PM »
We were also expected to win at some point after February 23 this year. Look at what happened.

The idea that the Hausers were frustrated with Wojo's coaching and gameplanning makes sense. And for that to escalate as we collapsed game after game to close out the season also makes sense.

Maybe if Sam had made a few of the wide open 3s he had in the closing minutes of games or if Joey hadn't treated the ball as if it were covered in Crisco, we would have won a couple of those games down the stretch.

There's plenty of blame to go around.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2019, 10:45:34 PM »
I see a lot of speculation about how, if the Hausers were unhappy with Markus’ ball hogging and inefficiency than why didn’t Wojo do something about it?

I’m wondering if anybody would care to speculate why he did not. Why would a coach known for his defensive intensity, a pass first PG who played at Duke let this go on?

Is it possible Markus is being coddled because he’s fragile? Is it possible there are issues there that put Wojo in a no win situation? Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t? Maybe he was so certain the Hausers were good that he forgot they needed a little attention themselves?

I’m sorry, I know Wojo is not Buzz. He’s not KO. But I don’t think he’s the problem.

I think the problem is Howard. We can all see it and have seen it for a while. You really think Wojo hasn’t talked to him ad nauseam? Howard continues to pay lip service to his teammates in interviews but it’s blatantly artificial and now we’ve lost two starters as a result.

Personally, I was hoping he’d leave after this year. I am a fan of Marquette basketball. As such, I don’t tune in to watch Markus Howard take 25 shots a game. I just don’t. I don’t care if he scores 25 or 35 or 50. I think Markus does care about that. I watch because I hope we win.

Answer - Joey

If you didn't need to watch Markus you would have tuned into a 14-17 season give a game or 2 either way.

If that's what you wanted then just go back and watch a rerun of all the games Buzz final season.

That was exactly what you claim to wish you'd seen..

Vander Blue left and a very unselfish point guard in Derrick Wilson took over, which would have been like watching Joseph Chartouney run the offense if Markus had left.

Markus assist rate was over 27% - in the top 3% of all players and almost twice that of Joey and Sam. He created the shots for himself because we didn't have a healthy PG with Elliott injured and McEwen sitting out, but he also created good shots for others by drawing defenders.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2019, 11:32:47 PM »
Markus:  The worst best player a team could have.

I only imagine this scenario:

Wojo:  Markus is coming back
Hausers:  you gonna make him pass to us?
Wojo:  You know, Markus is an exceptional talent. You kind of have to let him do his thing
Hausers:  Let us know how that works out for ya.  Later dude.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2019, 11:45:21 PM »
Sam And joey better work on their foreign language skills for their over seas careers as that is their absolute ceiling. 

Its all on wojo for the mess but at least these two losers wont do anything meaningful at the pro level.   I cant believe how many on here actuAlly thing either one has a shot at the NBA.  They would get eaten alive. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2019, 11:48:04 PM »
Joey.    Wanted to be featured.    Wasn't going to happen next year.    Sam's loyalty was to his brother over the team.   Joey was yelling and getting frustrated in November when he didn't get the ball when he wanted it.    Sam would tell him to be quiet.     The seeds of this were sown early.

Maybe Joey would get the ball if he actually held onto the damn ball. I was yelling and frustrated when the turned it over on 5 possessions to end the Creighton game.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2019, 05:06:49 AM »
It would be great if BD or someone with a real story posts some plausible details but to join the speculation train...

I think it's incredibly telling that Sam didn't specifically thank Wojo in his "I'm out" twitter, instead just going with the overly generic "everyone involved with the Marquette basketball program". Basically Wojo got the same thanks as the ticket sellers. It seems if it wasn't Wojo there would be been a "Thanks to Coach Wojo and all the coaching staff..." or something along those lines. It's a conspicuous and I'm sure deliberate omission.

That said, a number of us here have been harping about Markus' hero ball all season (even when it was working well). Certainly plausible to think it bothered those guys as well.

And here's the thing, Wojo's "give the keys to my guy and hope for the best" strategy isn't new this year. It was the same with Rowsey to a large extent last year. And with Hank.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 05:11:40 AM by 1SE »
Real Warriors Demand Excellence