'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Problem Wojo or Markus?  (Read 17686 times)

Avenue Commons

• All American
Re: Problem Wojo or Markus?
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2019, 09:40:12 AM »
I really believe there are no winners and only losers in this whole situation.
We Are Marquette

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2019, 09:40:27 AM »
I understand the desire to assign blame in a situation like this, but the reality is, that unless you know the entire story and have all the facts, you can't accurately do that.  My guess is that no one is completely clean in this situation.  Sam, Joey, Markus, Wojo, Hausers parents all likely contributed to this.

This.
And on top of that, it's OK for there not to be a "bad guy" in this situation. It seems, rather, we have three parties (Wojo, Markus and the Hausers) each looking out for their best interests.
Markus decided it was in his best interest to remain in school.
Wojo decided it was in his best interest to ride his all-American player and welcome him back with open arms.
The Hausers decided it was in their best interests not to play second fiddle to Markus.
Nobody is necessarily wrong here. It's a shame they couldn't make it work - and Wojo deserves most of the blame for that, because his job is to make it work - but there doesn't have to be a villain here.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2019, 09:44:25 AM »
This isn't an Ellenson or Maymon situation. They are far from helicopter parents, Dave was a college player, and a HS coach. He knows the lines. There's no AAU coach being an intermediary. Yes, they believe Joey can be a pro. But nothing about MU, or how he was used would keep him from progressing to that goal.

The decision was not made weeks ago, and may not have been by the banquet. Joey was gonna follow whatever Sam decided, and ultimately Sam thought it was best to move on.

I wish I could get into more detail, but I was told it in confidence and have to respect that. It's just a shame that there wasn't stronger leadership in place, as this outcome could have been avoided.

Also, please don't rip Markus for this. He's a great kid and they're still friends. He plays the way he knows how, and hasn't been coached hard enough to change it.

So you got the Hauser perspective. Now go get Wojo's and report back to us. Let's see if they're the same.

The above would very much support what my gut has told me from the very beginning...Sam had one year left to improve his NBA prospects, and was going to have a very difficult time doing that coming off the bench with a reduced role. I would never criticize him for using that as rationale for the decision, anymore than I would criticize Wojo for establishing and being honest about what the expectations should be. Its completely reasonable to assume that Sam may have been the 4th option next year (Howard, Koby, Joey). Not exactly the best scenario for showcasing your abilities for the NBA.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2019, 09:46:59 AM »
So you got the Hauser perspective. Now go get Wojo's and report back to us. Let's see if they're the same.

The above would very much support what my gut has told me from the very beginning...Sam had one year left to improve his NBA prospects, and was going to have a very difficult time doing that coming off the bench with a reduced role. I would never criticize him for using that as rationale for the decision, anymore than I would criticize Wojo for establishing and being honest about what the expectations should be. Its completely reasonable to assume that Sam may have been the 4th option next year (Howard, Koby, Joey). Not exactly the best scenario for showcasing your abilities for the NBA.
Sam wasn’t coming off the bench in a reduced role.
No Finish Line

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2019, 09:48:34 AM »
This isn't an Ellenson or Maymon situation. They are far from helicopter parents, Dave was a college player, and a HS coach. He knows the lines. There's no AAU coach being an intermediary. Yes, they believe Joey can be a pro. But nothing about MU, or how he was used would keep him from progressing to that goal.

The decision was not made weeks ago, and may not have been by the banquet. Joey was gonna follow whatever Sam decided, and ultimately Sam thought it was best to move on.

I wish I could get into more detail, but I was told it in confidence and have to respect that. It's just a shame that there wasn't stronger leadership in place, as this outcome could have been avoided.

Also, please don't rip Markus for this. He's a great kid and they're still friends. He plays the way he knows how, and hasn't been coached hard enough to change it.

Sure, mistakes were made. If you like Wojo, it's a learning experience during his first head coaching gig. If you don't like Wojo, it shows he's not cut out for this level.

This situation was fluid up until the high noon ultimatum yesterday. On the ledge, off the ledge; on the ledge, off the ledge.

But at a certain point, perhaps leadership could come from two of the three adults stuck in a bad situation? Then again it's probably an easier out for the two to pin it on the third. And maybe showing leadership was seen in walking away. A riddle something something wrapped something something enigma.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2019, 09:48:58 AM »
This is a simple sorry. Quit looking for zebras. Hausers didn't want to play with Markus. Felt Wojo gave him the green light and this ultimately was the reason for the end of season collapse. Sam and Joey know that wasn't going to change next season.

Yes but there was talk of changes, like in any team. And Markus is on the team and an All-AMERICAN. This could’ve/should been worked around by everyone.
We Are Marquette

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2019, 09:49:18 AM »
Sam wasn’t coming off the bench in a reduced role.

Ok, then Joey was. Or were they gonna go with 6 starters?

Or were Koby and Elliott not going to play? Bailey not going to see additional minutes? Was Anim not going to play?

Both Housers necessarily were going to see there minutes and roles reduced. Unless you are aware of some new rule changes whereby games are going to be more than 40 minutes, or teams are allowed to play more than 5 at a time.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:53:07 AM by NavinRJohnson »

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2019, 09:50:43 AM »
This.
And on top of that, it's OK for there not to be a "bad guy" in this situation. It seems, rather, we have three parties (Wojo, Markus and the Hausers) each looking out for their best interests.
Markus decided it was in his best interest to remain in school.
Wojo decided it was in his best interest to ride his all-American player and welcome him back with open arms.
The Hausers decided it was in their best interests not to play second fiddle to Markus.
Nobody is necessarily wrong here. It's a shame they couldn't make it work - and Wojo deserves most of the blame for that, because his job is to make it work - but there doesn't have to be a villain here.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Each made the decision they feel is best for them, and they should. It’s on Wojo to deal with it and win. This is why he gets paid the big bucks. If he can’t, move on.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2019, 09:51:45 AM »
Well then Joey was. Or were they gonna go with 6 starters?
I think at worst Joey wasn’t promised anything but if he made that leap we often see from year one to two he would’ve been our 3rd best player
No Finish Line

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2019, 09:55:10 AM »
They most certainly can.  But things are a bit different at places like MSU or UVA.  Sam will definitely get his wherever he goes as a senior, but teams may be hesitant to make a 1 year player the focal point of their offense.  Joey will likely also be a great player wherever they land, but at places like MSU and UVA he is going to re-recruited over every single season and is going to need to earn his minutes.  If he was butt hurt about not being the focal point of MU's offense as a freshman due to a 2nd team AA guard being on his team, I can't imagine how he's going to feel when he has multiple top 50 recruits to battle against each season that actually play his position.
+1000. Never said they couldn't play anywhere, just that at UVA and MSU, they will not be the focal point. Those two schools will be getting MCD AA type recruits. At Wisconsin, they will not be recruited over.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2019, 10:07:04 AM »
But at a certain point, perhaps leadership could come from two of the three adults stuck in a bad situation?

Yep.

As I've said multiple times, it's a bad look for the CEO of this organization, makes him look weak and totally not in control. It will be difficult for him to overcome this.

But ...

Daddy and Mommy H aren't angels in this. Rather than encourage their little boys to deal with adversity, they let them officially become the Quitter Brothers. Heck, for all we know, they actually encouraged them to become the Quitter Brothers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2019, 10:09:49 AM »
Yep.

As I've said multiple times, it's a bad look for the CEO of this organization, makes him look weak and totally not in control. It will be difficult for him to overcome this.

But ...

Daddy and Mommy H aren't angels in this. Rather than encourage their little boys to deal with adversity, they let them officially become the Quitter Brothers. Heck, for all we know, they actually encouraged them to become the Quitter Brothers.

Going to the original thread title, this has nothing to do with Markus outside of his role on the team relative to the Hausers. He did nothing wrong.
We Are Marquette

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2019, 10:42:30 AM »
If that was the case, the coach cannot fold.  It may cost him his job in this case, but the coach cannot give in to extortion.

Yeah. Combine that with the Herro rumblings about not wanting to play with him, and it feels a lot like that is the narrative coming out of the family. Shame too, as I really liked Sam. But can't dwell on those who quit the team. Next man up.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.