Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Just a GREAT day at the Bradley Center  (Read 3394 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

Just a GREAT day at the Bradley Center
« on: February 03, 2007, 08:48:46 PM »
I haven't read a single thread, but I wanted to post my thoughts on today's game/ceremony. I apologize if it's repetitive.

Those new banners for the retired numbers are probably the nicest thing Marquette has done in decades. They are just plain awesome. I love them. On the crackling radio reception after the game, Homer suggested that we'll soon see other teams/schools copying them and I agree. I don't want to overstate it, but they are absolutely fantastic!

Furthermore, the halftime ceremony honoring Wade was above and beyond what I expected. There was some real emotion out there from all parties. I thought I might even get choked up when Wade started getting teary eyed after all the accolades getting thrown his way!

Last, but not least, the game. Fantastic game by McNeal. One of the best games I've ever seen Fitz play in person. Horrendous officiating, but great win. James didn't have one of his best days, but he sure did hustle in the second half and made some great passes. I also thought Hayward did a good job on the boards, but I haven't seen a box score.

Great day and a day I was ABSOLUTELY proud to be a Marquette fan!!!

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Just a GREAT day at the Bradley Center
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 08:59:20 PM »
Puerto/Goldie, glad you had a great day because I also had a great day as well.  Nice to "see" you with a smile on your face!   Lets keep this all moving forward.  :)

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 10:14:22 AM »
Those new banners for the retired numbers are probably the nicest thing Marquette has done in decades. They are just plain awesome. I love them. On the crackling radio reception after the game, Homer suggested that we'll soon see other teams/schools copying them and I agree. I don't want to overstate it, but they are absolutely fantastic!

I had a question about the banners.  In the pictures I saw, it looked like all the banners are together, except Wade's (which is by the championsip banners).  Are the pictures misleading, or is Wade's banner separated from the others?  If it's separated, does anyone know why?

Please don't read anything into this question -- I'm not suggesting anything -- just asking.  I haven't been in the Bradley Center for 15 years, so I really don't remember how it is configured or where the banners hang.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 10:23:42 AM »
They were separated. Wade's was unveiled from rafters on the East side of the stadium, while the older numbers were on the North end, above the student section.

I am assuming it's because they had to get the new banners up in a hurry. I'm guessing the older numbers will join Dwyane's on the East side of the building next game.

I was actually wondering if the new banners were obstructing the view of any students. They seem to hang kind of low.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 10:25:53 AM »
kojis through doc are over the student section, north end tunnel area.
wades was unfurled to the right of the retired number banner above and behind the visitor bench.
solo.

can't imagine they would keep it like that for long.
this game?
several games?
this season?  tops.

then I gotta think all will be together.

the separation for the ceremony was warranted.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 10:29:02 AM »
Yeah, I was confused about that too .. as I was videotaping, you can tell I linger on banners on the north end .. waiting for Wade's to unfurl.  Finally, I figured out the thing was placed on the other side.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 11:26:33 AM »

I was actually wondering if the new banners were obstructing the view of any students. They seem to hang kind of low.

The banners actually did obstruct the view of the students in the upper deck in the endzone. My buddy and I were going to sit there, but when we got up there we realized we couldn't see the other end of the court, and we were about 10 rows from the top. As a result, the last 4-5 rows were empty throughout the game.

Also, anyone know why there was an entire section, next to the students in the upper deck, empty for the whole game?

MUtrain

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 12:43:51 PM »
The ushers would not let students sit in 441 at the beginning of the game, not sure why.  Eventually, students started filling it in.

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 01:14:49 PM »
im pretty sure the separation of the banners was just for the ceremony.  If you saw the heat / bucks game later, the banners over the north end were taken down.  my guess is they only had them up there to give wade's banner it's time to shine.  i would bet by the rutgers game, they are all together on the side of the arena.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 04:31:22 PM »
most likely the case gimp...i got their early and had my front row seat but before the general admission tix were allowed in they were putting up the last banners and I thought abt how that may have caused an obstruction for the top of the upper deck. i guess it did