[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 319650 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #375 on: September 29, 2019, 11:23:27 AM »
Let's say it's nowhere near 90%.

Let's say it's 50% or 33% or 25% or, as the guy in the 538 article said, "probably more in the 20 to 30 percent range."

Only a truly soft person would refuse to have their kids risk a 3-in-10 or 1-5 chance at CTE.

Soft losers. Next thing you know, they won't let their kids play in traffic.

More recent data says across all individuals there is a 6% chance you will have CTE. For people that play football beyond high school (college or NFL) it rises to around 19%, with it more prevalent the longer you play.

Your argument stands. Playing football beyond high school increases your chance of developing CTE by at least 3-fold.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #376 on: September 29, 2019, 11:43:56 AM »
More recent data says across all individuals there is a 6% chance you will have CTE. For people that play football beyond high school (college or NFL) it rises to around 19%, with it more prevalent the longer you play.

Your argument stands. Playing football beyond high school increases your chance of developing CTE by at least 3-fold.

Actually 10% to 19%.  And that is also based on players playing with older technology. 

It is improper to say players of today will have 3X the rate, because we don’t know what the improvements made will do.

More categorically sad is the media running around with the 99% claim as they did and people believe if that bullshyte.   I was waiting for someone to produce that article, I wasn’t disappointed for long. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #377 on: September 29, 2019, 12:05:15 PM »
Actually 10% to 19%.  And that is also based on players playing with older technology. 

It is improper to say players of today will have 3X the rate, because we don’t know what the improvements made will do.

More categorically sad is the media running around with the 99% claim as they did and people believe if that bullshyte.   I was waiting for someone to produce that article, I wasn’t disappointed for long.

My apologies. I only read the lay-person summary of the most recent data, where it said 19%.

I did go back and look at the original source material (should have done that the first time). The actual study shows that 47% of individuals that played football beyond high school had brain tissue consistent with CTE. Simply playing high school football doubled the risk of developing CTE.

It was actually significantly worse than I had thought, and significantly worse than the conservative estimate that MU82 had supposed.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #378 on: September 29, 2019, 01:40:10 PM »
Neither is good; could see the game going any number of ways.

Just saw Jennifer Lopez and Shakira are doing the halftime show at the Super Bowl. I approve.

Don't no if ya kan sey dis heer, butt, Lopez' tuchus is two big, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #379 on: September 29, 2019, 01:55:57 PM »
One play, one call, can change the arc of a season.    IMO, that just happened to the Lions.    We will see if they are resilient enough to bounce back.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #380 on: September 29, 2019, 01:59:19 PM »
One play, one call, can change the arc of a season.    IMO, that just happened to the Lions.    We will see if they are resilient enough to bounce back.   

Thought the same thing. Really tough sequence.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #381 on: September 29, 2019, 02:03:00 PM »
No Smith and no Hicks vs Vikings run. Yikes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #382 on: September 29, 2019, 02:09:43 PM »

Or two calls.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #383 on: September 29, 2019, 02:24:25 PM »
Or two calls.

They seem to keep stepping back up. Pretty cool play by Coleman, where he actually intentionally let the player get up so he could go for the strip.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #384 on: September 29, 2019, 03:27:22 PM »
So, what should the NFL do about Vontaze Burfict?  Honestly, that hit should result in a six-figure fine and a multiple game suspension; it should cost him seven figures.  He either needs to be made to understand that you can't deliver hits like that, or he needs to be out of the league.

Edited to add another link with more views.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 03:30:56 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #385 on: September 29, 2019, 03:30:50 PM »
So, what should the NFL do about Vontaze Burfict?  Honestly, that hit should result in a six-figure fine and a multiple game suspension; it should cost him seven figures.  He either needs to be made to understand that you can't deliver hits like that, or he needs to be out of the league.

Because of his history that looks worse than it is. The hit on Williams (packers) on Thursday was significantly more heinous.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #386 on: September 29, 2019, 03:32:49 PM »
Because of his history that looks worse than it is. The hit on Williams (packers) on Thursday was significantly more heinous.

But you cannot ignore the history.  And it was really bad.  I didn't see the game the other night, so I can't comment on it.  I don't doubt it.  I posted another link in the original post with more views of the Burfict hit.  Like I said, it was really bad.

Edited to add:  just watched the hit on Williams.  You were right.  Awful, awful hit.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 03:38:09 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #387 on: September 29, 2019, 03:36:32 PM »

Edited to add another link with more views.

Suspend him for the year. As blatant of head hunting and launching as you’ll see from a guy who clearly hasn’t learned his lesson.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #388 on: September 29, 2019, 03:43:12 PM »
Mitch maybe done for a while.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #389 on: September 29, 2019, 04:22:40 PM »
Big win for my Panthers. I know none of y'all watched the game, but ESPN and others will be including final-drive plays by McCaffrey and Allen on plays of the week. No such thing as a bad road win, and Houston is not a bad team. Thrilled to be back to 2-2 given the circumstance.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #390 on: September 29, 2019, 04:38:44 PM »

How was the hit on Williams worse? It was just dumb and late. He didn’t spear him with his head down or try to maim him. More stupid football like pushing a guy who crossed the sideline 2 steps before.

Burfict literally tried to take Doyle’s head off. Current personal foul hits are for contact to the head, leading with the helmet, or launching your body. He did all 3.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #391 on: September 29, 2019, 04:40:01 PM »

Given the weapons on offense, just needing someone who can reliably get the ball to Robinson/Miller/Cohen/Montgomery, Daniels is probably not a huge step back given Mitch’s accuracy issues so far this year

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #392 on: September 29, 2019, 04:42:27 PM »

That could help Chicago. Daniels is the better QB.

Trubisky has more physical skills. Daniels has more football skills.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #393 on: September 29, 2019, 04:44:21 PM »

Don't no if ya kan sey dis heer, butt, Lopez' tuchus is two big, aina?

Maybe for u bro
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #394 on: September 29, 2019, 05:51:51 PM »
To the surprise of nobody but the Vikings, Kirk Cousins is not the answer.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #395 on: September 29, 2019, 05:53:51 PM »
My apologies. I only read the lay-person summary of the most recent data, where it said 19%.

I did go back and look at the original source material (should have done that the first time). The actual study shows that 47% of individuals that played football beyond high school had brain tissue consistent with CTE. Simply playing high school football doubled the risk of developing CTE.

It was actually significantly worse than I had thought, and significantly worse than the conservative estimate that MU82 had supposed.

The estimates vary depending on how completist you think the brain bank’s collection was. If you assumed that half of the brains from NFL players with CTE who died during the study period ended up in the brain bank, that would mean the prevalence of CTE in the broader group of deceased players was 19.3 percent, according to Binney and Bachynski’s calculations.3 On the other hand, if 90 percent of the brains with CTE were sent to the bank, the prevalence of CTE would be 10.7 percent. “I’m reasonably confident that it’s somewhere north of 10 percent, and I would not at all be surprised — and indeed it’s my best guess right now — that the prevalence is probably more in the 20 to 30 percent range,” Binney said.

But even if that’s correct and as many as 1 in 3 NFL players who were in the league at the same time as the players whose brains ended up in the JAMA study had CTE, that doesn’t mean that those numbers also apply to the current pool of players, said Bhramar Mukherjee, a biostatistician and epidemiologist at the University of Michigan’s School of Public Health. “The probability of developing CTE could be changing over time, because the protective gear and the style of play is changing over time.”
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #396 on: September 29, 2019, 05:54:31 PM »
Big win for my Panthers. I know none of y'all watched the game, but ESPN and others will be including final-drive plays by McCaffrey and Allen on plays of the week. No such thing as a bad road win, and Houston is not a bad team. Thrilled to be back to 2-2 given the circumstance.

Panthers better without Cam....

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #397 on: September 29, 2019, 06:18:41 PM »
To the surprise of nobody but the Vikings, Kirk Cousins is not the answer.

$84M guaranteed for 3 years of that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #398 on: September 29, 2019, 06:19:42 PM »
$84M guaranteed for 3 years of that.

We are puking.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #399 on: September 29, 2019, 10:28:34 PM »
How was the hit on Williams worse? It was just dumb and late. He didn’t spear him with his head down or try to maim him. More stupid football like pushing a guy who crossed the sideline 2 steps before.

Burfict literally tried to take Doyle’s head off. Current personal foul hits are for contact to the head, leading with the helmet, or launching your body. He did all 3.

Seriously? Williams was stood up, and wrapped up. Couldn't move and the defender lowered his head (late) and targeted his head and launched himself into a completely defenseless and stopped Williams, after the play was already over. 

feedback