[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Favorite UK Super Band

The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
The Kinks
The Rolling Stones
The Who
Other

Author Topic: Top UK Super Band  (Read 14810 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Top UK Super Band
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2021, 12:56:44 PM »
Edge is one of my favorite guitarists. I'm a minimalist when it comes to guitar players. I have no use for the Eddie Van Halen style gymnastics (yes, I recognize he is a great player). It's the same thing that makes Richards/Wood so great. I really don't care how fast they can go up and down the fretboard. It's about playing what the song demands.

Everything Edge plays is about the song and the feeling it is trying to evoke. One might even say that what Edge does on guitar is as pompous as what Bono does with vocals. But it works.

1 note and 15 echoes isn't guitar music, sorry.

U2 is unique and that's why i like them.  Their overall sound is what makes them good.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2021, 01:08:35 PM »

1 note and 15 echoes isn't guitar music, sorry.

U2 is unique and that's why i like them.  Their overall sound is what makes them good.

You're obviously exaggerating, but your point is well made. But, while they have a great rhythm section, Edge ties it all together.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2021, 01:09:36 PM »
Oh in that case my favorite American band is The Guess Who or Rush

Well done!

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2021, 01:11:19 PM »
Edge is one of my favorite guitarists. I'm a minimalist when it comes to guitar players. I have no use for the Eddie Van Halen style gymnastics (yes, I recognize he is a great player). It's the same thing that makes Richards/Wood so great. I really don't care how fast they can go up and down the fretboard. It's about playing what the song demands.

Everything Edge plays is about the song and the feeling it is trying to evoke. One might even say that what Edge does on guitar is as pompous as what Bono does with vocals. But it works.

I wouldn't say Edge is minimalist at all.  In fact, I can't think of a guitarist that uses more effects than he does.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2021, 01:16:33 PM »
I wouldn't say Edge is minimalist at all.  In fact, I can't think of a guitarist that uses more effects than he does.

Ummm Ed Sheehan?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2021, 01:20:01 PM »

I can think of 10 immediately.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2021, 01:22:14 PM »
Ummm Ed Sheehan?

Hahaha. Well, I never think of Ed Sheeran at all, so that explains that. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2021, 01:22:44 PM »
I can think of 10 immediately.

Cool.  Shoot.

Tom Morello.  OK.  But even like the aforementioned EVH used fewer effects. 

Everything is just so produced for them.  Idk.  I'm not a person that dislikes u2, quite the opposite though. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 01:24:30 PM by buckchuckler »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2021, 01:27:38 PM »
I can't pick any single band as my favorite. Zep was OK, I've always been a big fan of the Kinks and probably have more albums and CDs of theirs than most even know existed, even their late 70's like Misfits and Low Budget have great songs. Muswell Hillbillies would be my favorite Kinks LP.

No mentions of Deep Purple, the Faces or (Peter Green's) Fleetwood Mac?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2021, 01:35:56 PM »
Ironically, bands I always turn off...

Led Zeppelin
Rolling Stones
Beatles
Cars
Any prog-rock 70s
Almost any disco

Zeppelin?

Wow - Covid really did mess with your taste.  ;D

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2021, 01:38:15 PM »
Cool.  Shoot.

Tom Morello.  OK.  But even like the aforementioned EVH used fewer effects. 

Everything is just so produced for them.  Idk.  I'm not a person that dislikes u2, quite the opposite though.

Since you mentioned Tom, I'll do 9

Matthew Bellamy - Muse
John Fruschantie (sp) - RHCP
Andy Summers - The Police
St. Vincent
Mike Einzinger - Incubus
David Gilmour - Pink Floyd
Jack White
John Mayer
Slash - GnR

Okay, to be fair, I think I'm placing a lot of my bias against The Edge here, but these are great examples of effects players... Especially Matt Bellamy

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2021, 01:44:51 PM »

Matthew Bellamy - Muse
St. Vincent
Mike Einzinger - Incubus
Jack White
John Mayer
Slash - GnR Velvet Revolver

Okay, to be fair, I think I'm placing a lot of my bias against The Edge here, but these are great examples of effects players... Especially Matt Bellamy
Maigh Eo for Sam

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2021, 01:52:39 PM »
I still think Joshua Tree is among the best albums ever.

Seeing the Joshua Tree anniversary tour in 2017 is probably my favorite concert. It's an album I really liked* and also is really nostalgic because it was my senior year of HS. They started with a few of their classic songs, then played the entire Joshua Tree album in order, then played a bunch more of their classics. I took my oldest daughter the summer after she graduated HS and she loved it. It started a mini-tradition of taking my daughters to a concert the summer before they go to college -- just me and them -- their pick.

*Interestingly, that concert reminded me how different it was listening to songs in a specific order. That's something my kids really don't understand...how when you hear one song end your brain immediately moves shifts to the next song on the album. It also reminded how I used to listen to CDs just starting at the beginning and often didn't make it past the first 4 or 5 tracks. Although I had obviously heard them, I wasn't nearly as familiar with the later tracks to Joshua Tree which are now some of my favorites on that album.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2021, 02:03:20 PM »

Matthew Bellamy - Muse
St. Vincent
Mike Einzinger - Incubus
Jack White
John Mayer
Slash - GnR

There's a big difference in using effects to create your tone (Gilmour) and using it as your style (The Edge).

Every guitarist uses effect of some kind or another, some just rely on them more.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2021, 02:15:18 PM »
Seeing the Joshua Tree anniversary tour in 2017 is probably my favorite concert. It's an album I really liked* and also is really nostalgic because it was my senior year of HS. They started with a few of their classic songs, then played the entire Joshua Tree album in order, then played a bunch more of their classics. I took my oldest daughter the summer after she graduated HS and she loved it. It started a mini-tradition of taking my daughters to a concert the summer before they go to college -- just me and them -- their pick.

*Interestingly, that concert reminded me how different it was listening to songs in a specific order. That's something my kids really don't understand...how when you hear one song end your brain immediately moves shifts to the next song on the album. It also reminded how I used to listen to CDs just starting at the beginning and often didn't make it past the first 4 or 5 tracks. Although I had obviously heard them, I wasn't nearly as familiar with the later tracks to Joshua Tree which are now some of my favorites on that album.

Incredible concert. I got Joshua Tree in 5th grade. And, of course, no MU fan could not clap along with the intro to Streets. What I liked most about that concert was that it was about the music front and center. I'd been to the 360 tour and it was more about the spectacle. Joshua Tree was not.

Fun fact: that tour was the first time they'd ever played "Red Hill Mining Town" live. it was supposed to be their third single released off of JT and had a video filmed. But, Bono couldn't hit the high notes in rehearsals so they went with "I Still Haven't Found" and they never played Red Hill live. That was always one of my favorite songs from that album.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2021, 02:33:33 PM »

Matthew Bellamy - Muse
St. Vincent
Mike Einzinger - Incubus
Jack White
John Mayer
Slash - GnR

For the most part, and I can't claim to be completely familiar with all of these guys, but most of them were primarily just using distortion.  Slash, Gilmour, the Police, RHCP, I don't think those guys used near the electronics that the Edge used to get his sound.  Those guys are in many cases, just using a distortion pedal (or on the head of the amp) and some reverb (especially Gilmour).  Maybe that's just semantics and how we are viewing different effects.  I could be completely off base and just thinking too much of Achtung Baby.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2021, 02:34:32 PM »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2021, 02:35:57 PM »
There's a big difference in using effects to create your tone (Gilmour) and using it as your style (The Edge).

Every guitarist uses effect of some kind or another, some just rely on them more.

Yes.  this is much more succinct way of saying what I was trying to say.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2021, 02:45:45 PM »
Velvet Revolver.  GTFO.

😂 I recently watched an interview where slash and duff said how happy they were when someone recognized them and said "oh you're the guys from velvet revolver!" Rather than GnR
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 02:50:53 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2021, 02:48:16 PM »
😂 I recently watched an interview where slash and duff said how happy they were when someone recognized them and said "oh you're the guys from velvet revolver!" Rather than GnR and how they both were happy that happened.

Hahaha.  That's great.  Probably anything to not be associated with Axl at this point. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2021, 02:49:12 PM »
If we're going to allow U2, I want to enter a vote for AC/DC.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2021, 02:52:01 PM »
If we're going to allow U2, I want to enter a vote for AC/DC.

For what, recycling riffs?  Shallow lyrics?

Sure its fun the first couple of times, but they've made a killing off of very little... just my snobby opinion.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2021, 02:53:43 PM »

Sure its fun the first couple of times, but they've made a killing off of very little... just my snobby opinion.

It was just a joke piling on to the geography thing...at least I didn't say KISS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2021, 02:54:26 PM »

AC/DC is like a line of coke.  Fun every now and then but too much will give you a headache.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2021, 02:57:45 PM »
For the most part, and I can't claim to be completely familiar with all of these guys, but most of them were primarily just using distortion.  Slash, Gilmour, the Police, RHCP, I don't think those guys used near the electronics that the Edge used to get his sound.  Those guys are in many cases, just using a distortion pedal (or on the head of the amp) and some reverb (especially Gilmour).  Maybe that's just semantics and how we are viewing different effects.  I could be completely off base and just thinking too much of Achtung Baby.

If you haven't listened to Muse ever, I can't recommend them enough... but more the earlier albums, Origin of Symmetry and Absolution are amazing.  Blackholes and Revelations is really good too, but after that I think things just get okay.  2nd Law and Resistance are pretty good... but I seriously dislike Drones... almost killed the band for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_sBOsh-vyI&list=OLAK5uy_mTXse5jJpNyu8P51L13nUPgceUnZKBzX8&index=11

They're really fantastic live too.  Sound quality is always amazing... something I can't say for quite a few shows I've been to.