collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: For you wine drinkers out there.  (Read 4276 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
For you wine drinkers out there.
« on: June 22, 2016, 12:39:37 PM »
Asda's (a British supermarket chain owned by Walmart) $6 red wine named one of the best in the world.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/06/20/walmart-6-red-wine-named-one-best-in-world/?intcmp=ob_article_footer_text&intcmp=obnetwork

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: For you wine drinkers out there.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 01:10:13 PM »
Cool...I'd pickup a bottle.  If I were in the UK  :-\

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 01:16:32 PM »
One caveat ... this win was in a category of wines costing less than 15 pounds, a little more than $20. A fine accomplishment and all, but it's not exactly being stacked up against the Opus Ones of the world.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 01:32:33 PM »
Pagan Pink and Purple Jesus gotten rank right up der too, then, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 02:54:26 PM »
Pagan Pink and Purple Jesus gotten rank right up der too, then, hey?

always loved me a little boone's farm tickle pink jesus juice back in the day of bench seats and drive in theaters EyN'a
don't...don't don't don't don't

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 03:14:43 PM »
Well I'll be in the UK starting in August, if anyone wants me to pick up a bottle for them let me know.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 03:37:38 PM »
I was a T.J. Swan drinker back in the teen years....Mellow Days and Easy Nights.   ;D
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 03:51:43 PM »
One caveat ... this win was in a category of wines costing less than 15 pounds, a little more than $20. A fine accomplishment and all, but it's not exactly being stacked up against the Opus Ones of the world.

Wonder why they don't do that. Blind taste test regardless of price, it would be pretty embarrassing if a low cost wine won.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 05:42:58 PM »
How does winning a platinum “Best in Show” award at the Decanter Magazine World Wine Awards translate to "one of the best in the world?"

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 12:16:13 PM »
Wonder why they don't do that. Blind taste test regardless of price, it would be pretty embarrassing if a low cost wine won.
actually has happened.   Wine connoseurs  tasted a flight o wines and agreed the most expensive label was the winner.
when the same wines were blind tasted, the least expensive was chosen. labels matter

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 05:13:33 AM »
Back when I lived in England I actually did a blind, discrete choice taste test of 32 red wines with a group of about 20 people.  The list included wines from GBP 6 to GBP 300 including several very high rated vintages.  Learned 2 things:
1. when 20 people drink 32 small glasses of wine each, they get really drunk
2.  Asda won.  Nobody thought it was the best, but all ratings were above average, so it ended up with the most points. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 01:40:28 PM »
The only wine I remember seeing in the English Pubs I was in were some really awful fruit flavored bile.

Didn't stop me from accepting a challenge from a local to try them all one night. 

Sickest I've ever been.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 01:58:33 PM »
I had my wife do a blind taste test on dirty vodka martinis the other day... same glasses, same qty of liquor, same qty of olive juice (all measured to the ml with a syringe), same serving temp, etc.  The candidates were Grey Goose, Kirkland (Costco generic), Medea and Polish grain alcohol diluted to 40% ABV.  Strangely, she picked out the four in that order, which would be supported by the consensus ratings I've seen online.  In fact, she said the GG and Kirkland were very similar - with GG getting a slight edge - and the other two were a distant third and fourth place (which would actually make sense if you believe the rumor that Kirkland and GG come from the same distillery).  That said and even knowing which was which, I couldn't tell any difference between the top three (the diluted grain alcohol, however, was distinctly horrid), but I'm not a vodka drinker.

Conclusion: If vodka is anything like wine - as tequila is like beer - a seasoned imbiber, at most, will be able to separate the "good" from the "bad," whereas the average person will be lucky just to pick out the worst.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 04:12:49 PM »
My son in law has gone through the training /certifications of becoming a certified expert sommelier, and works in Fertita's most upscale location in Houston, Vic n Anthony's, downtown.
I have observed in sincere appreciation/awe of his training and required skills. He is now pursuing his master somme but with only a couple dozen in the world, he knows the rigors and odds. A master somme has to blind taste/smell a bunch of wines....then 100% identify the wine type, grape, vineyard and harvest year. ...plus know the history of almost every wine there is. There are a couple great Netflix documentaries on this challenging competitive area...worth the watch
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:55:27 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 08:15:12 PM »
My son in law has gone through the training /certifications of becoming a certified expert sommelier, and works is Fertita's most upscale location in Houston, Vic n Anthony's, downtown.
I have observed in sincere appreciation/awe of his training and required skills. He is now pursuing his master somme but with only a couple dozen in the world, he knows the rigors and odds. A master somme has to blind taste/smell a bunch of wines....then 100% identify the wine type, grape, vineyard and harvest year. ...plus know the history of almost every wine there is. There are a couple great Netflix documentaries on this challenging competitive area...worth the watch

I second that. Somm, the doc about people prepping for that exam, is fascinating.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 08:31:16 PM »
15 GBPs post-Brexit? Even better deal.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 10:28:11 PM »
Back in the day I ordered a miller lite from an Applebees.  My beer came out, I took a sip and told the waitress she brought me the wrong beer. 

She said that all they do is put in an order for a light beer since people can't tell the difference (this was not in WI).  I told her I could and that I wanted what I ordered.

The bartender was surprised and made me an offer.  They had 6 beers on tap.  He told me if I could blindly identify each one, I could drink free for the night.

I swear I saw tears in his eyes as he learned how much people from Wisconsin could drink.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 09:33:35 AM »
Back in the day I ordered a miller lite from an Applebees.  My beer came out, I took a sip and told the waitress she brought me the wrong beer. 

She said that all they do is put in an order for a light beer since people can't tell the difference (this was not in WI).  I told her I could and that I wanted what I ordered.

The bartender was surprised and made me an offer.  They had 6 beers on tap.  He told me if I could blindly identify each one, I could drink free for the night.

I swear I saw tears in his eyes as he learned how much people from Wisconsin could drink.

I can tell the difference between Miller Lite and Bud Light, but it is all garbage.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 03:16:32 AM »
Once when I was out enjoying dinner someone replaced my after meal coffee with Folgers crystals.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 10:48:23 AM »
Once when I was out enjoying dinner someone replaced my after meal coffee with Folgers crystals.

Mr. Skitch... how do you feel about your experience on hidden camera?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2016, 11:21:46 PM »
Mr. Skitch... how do you feel about your experience on hidden camera?

Angry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfR1TwosYQg