[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Transfer Portal  (Read 193371 times)

Viper

• All American
Re: 2024 Transfer Portal
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2024, 10:07:32 AM »
It's okay to disagree with a coach on one aspect and still overall think they're doing a good/great job.
yes, but actually, no…or risk a shot across your starboard side from the church of Shaka.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2024, 10:10:42 AM »
yes, but actually, no…or risk a shot across your starboard side from the church of Shaka.
I just think not using the portal is a dumb decision in the current state of college sports. But hey, myself and most other college basketball coaches may be wrong.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2024, 10:18:22 AM »
Agreed! Just think we need to keep our expectation in check in regards to him. Bring in a transfer big who can play 20+ min at the BE level and let the rest sort itself out.
What? You think Shaka has s going yo ho out and get a transfer big this offseason?
The chances of that are slim to none.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2024, 10:19:04 AM »
Viper

I like Shaka a lot, but I wish he did use the portal. My hope was/is that he would attract guys with 2-3 years left to play, not the one year rental. I am not 100% convinced that he won't use the portal more and hope he does. I can say that while I am big of fan of Shaka, I will not hesitate one second to criticize him. To date, several times he has not managed last 10 seconds in games well, I think he missed out not getting an Omax replacement and I hope he uses the portal if/when needed.

I have zero problems with anyone getting on Shaka, provided it is well thought out. If TK is healthy in the tournament, this team needs to win some games or Shaka will take some heat. I do think if Shaka is here another ten years that MU will have plenty of chances in March, but this year is important for him and the program.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2024, 10:19:45 AM »
They didn't take one this year because there wasn't a ton of minutes available. Wrightsil was going to play, but the injury was a killer. Still dealing with the knee after another surgery this year.

Given the relative inexperience coming back/in, they'll go after a transfer. But I still think a guard is a more pressing need at this point than the frontcourt.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2024, 10:20:56 AM »
This team was head for 2nd in the BE and a 2 seed before Kolek's injury.  I'd say Shaka managed the roster just fine.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2024, 10:21:51 AM »
Shaka will use the portal if he has to and won’t be afraid to replace players that aren’t Big East players.

Shaka and his staff have earned the benefit of the doubt with regards to player talent identification and development.

It’s no more complicated than that.  If Al hasn’t shown the staff enough this year, he will be transferring to an appropriate place.  If he’s back in ‘24, I trust the staff.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2024, 10:22:04 AM »
This team was head for 2nd in the BE and a 2 seed before Kolek's injury.  I'd say Shaka managed the roster just fine.
our goal before this year was Phoenix. Nothing else.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2024, 10:23:34 AM »
Viper

I like Shaka a lot, but I wish he did use the portal. My hope was/is that he would attract guys with 2-3 years left to play, not the one year rental. I am not 100% convinced that he won't use the portal more and hope he does. I can say that while I am big of fan of Shaka, I will not hesitate one second to criticize him. To date, several times he has not managed last 10 seconds in games well, I think he missed out not getting an Omax replacement and I hope he uses the portal if/when needed.

I have zero problems with anyone getting on Shaka, provided it is well thought out. If TK is healthy in the tournament, this team needs to win some games or Shaka will take some heat. I do think if Shaka is here another ten years that MU will have plenty of chances in March, but this year is important for him and the program.

This is key. 

Calling for a player to transfer when they're a true Freshman that is red-shirting to work with on their game with the team/Universities facilities when they were originally going to be in prep school during the 23-24 season is stupid.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2024, 10:23:49 AM »

No kidding. This team left the top 15 for all of what, a week or two this season? Sure, they didn't hit the heights of last season but still, a fantastic season. With plenty to play for still.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2024, 10:26:14 AM »
The goal still is Phoenix. Am I missing something?

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2024, 10:28:37 AM »

Isn't that still what they're headed for?
VIOLENCE!

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2024, 10:28:43 AM »
Apparently we missed the memo.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2024, 10:32:18 AM »
I just think not using the portal is a dumb decision in the current state of college sports. But hey, myself and most other college basketball coaches may be wrong.
I agree with you…I’m all for the portal…portal ‘finds’ helped MU to the tournament in ‘22.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2024, 10:34:23 AM »
Viper

we are aligned. But for some on Scoop, criticism of the HC is worthy of walking the plank.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2024, 10:38:54 AM »
I think there are plenty of reasons to criticize any head coach.

But roster construction, given Shaka's thoughts on the matter, IMO is a pretty difficult thing to criticize him for. He knows way more about how to develop and motivate a team. This isn't fantasy college basketball.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2024, 10:39:57 AM »

No.  Viper and Wolfghang are seeing something that isn’t there

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2024, 10:40:56 AM »
No.  Viper and Wolfghang are seeing something that isn’t there
people are pointing out our regular season finish this year as a reason we didn’t need any transfers. We are saying that doesn’t matter. That’s all

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2024, 10:41:25 AM »
we are aligned. But for some on Scoop, criticism of the HC is worthy of walking the plank.

Are you kidding?  Criticism of head coaches is so encouraged that it's still done decades after they've left.

Criticism for other posters occurs when people say things like "I disagree with Shaka when he says that he won't take transfers".  That criticism comes from Shaka never saying that. Despite not taking a transfer last summer, Shaka pursued some.  Even if he doesn't take a transfer this summer, I'm sure he'll be looking.  Just because a transfer doesn't happen does not mean that the coach didn't attempt to get one.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2024, 10:42:05 AM »
people are pointing out our regular season finish this year as a reason we didn’t need any transfers. We are saying that doesn’t matter. That’s all

If Shaka doesn’t take transfers this year, we don’t need transfers then

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2024, 10:42:09 AM »
I think there are plenty of reasons to criticize any head coach.

But roster construction, given Shaka's thoughts on the matter, IMO is a pretty difficult thing to criticize him for. He knows way more about how to develop and motivate a team. This isn't fantasy college basketball.
we’re criticizing him for not using the portal. Every other top program does. People criticize Dabo for it in football and he’s accomplished a lot more than Shaka can dream of.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2024, 10:42:51 AM »
If Shaka doesn’t take transfers this year, we don’t need transfers then
LMAO

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2024, 10:44:45 AM »
we’re criticizing him for not using the portal. Every other top program does. People criticize Dabo for it in football and he’s accomplished a lot more than Shaka can dream of.

I don't care what other coaches do. Our successful coach has shown that he knows what he's doing.

And of course you CAN criticize him for that. Knock yourself out.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2024, 10:45:08 AM »
But for some on Scoop, criticism of the HC is worthy of walking the plank.

That's the case for few, if any, on Scoop.

To quote Goose: I have zero problems with anyone getting on Shaka, provided it is well thought out.

For example ...

Those who said Shaka waited too long to call a timeout Saturday during that 5-minute stretch with no play stoppages because the guys were obviously tired ... well thought out.

Those who said Shaka should take playing time from Gold and give it to Amadou because "what the heck do we have to lose" ... not well thought out.

Those who said Shaka should use the portal to add a little size or get a replacement for OMax because such a targeted signing could help areas of need ... well thought out.

Those who said Shaka should abandon the offense because we were in a shooting slump for a handful of games ... not well thought out.

No person, and certainly no coach, is beyond being criticized.

Also this:

Despite not taking a transfer last summer, Shaka pursued some.  Even if he doesn't take a transfer this summer, I'm sure he'll be looking.  Just because a transfer doesn't happen does not mean that the coach didn't attempt to get one.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2024, 10:46:48 AM »
That's the case for few, if any, on Scoop.

To quote Goose: I have zero problems with anyone getting on Shaka, provided it is well thought out.

For example ...

Those who said Shaka waited too long to call a timeout Saturday during that 5-minute stretch with no play stoppages because the guys were obviously tired ... well thought out.

Those who said Shaka should take playing time from Gold and give it to Amadou because "what the heck do we have to lose" ... not well thought out.

Those who said Shaka should use the portal to add a little size or get a replacement for OMax because such a targeted signing could help areas of need ... well thought out.

Those who said Shaka should abandon the offense because we were in a shooting slump for a handful of games ... not well thought out.

No person, and certainly no coach, is beyond being criticized.

Also this:
Apparently this one is frowned upon.