[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening!  (Read 5758 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening!
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2024, 07:57:49 AM »
Except he was one of the Wojo defenders when that ship was clearly sinking. Was not just him. There were plenty on this board making half ass excuses why we were stuck with Wojo. Oh his buyout clause, oh his contract, oh we are trending in the right direction, oh who else can we get.
Sigh. How revisionist history pervades.
Glad we have Shaka, now let's keep him. Think we can clearly say we are on the right trajectory with him.

Interesting considering how much you trash his players and his coaching.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Zog from Margo

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2024, 09:41:55 AM »
Everyone wanted Wojo to succeed. That said, he was an odd hire IMO. He had no HC experience. Duke assistants generally have had a poor success rate. At the time, Mike Brey had the most success as a HC. Probably most concerning was the fact that Wojo had never been at any program other than Duke. Taking the HC job at UK or KU might have been a better fit, but MU was not going to have a bunch of McDs AAs walk through the door every year. Why would one think the Duke approach would translate? By contrast, Crean, Buzz, and Shaka had all worked their way through the ranks and had experience in a variety of situations and under a variety of coaches. This is what I was referring to in saying MU learned a hard lesson too.

As it turned out, Wojo could not recruit well enough to make up for his shortcomings as a coach. He also would not acknowledge his limitations by hiring an experienced assistant to teach him. It is very interesting how, by contrast, Shaka is always picking the brains of other coaches and trying to learn more. Let's just say Shaka's bulb burns a bit brighter.

The other day, Lance Allen was interviewing Shaka about Senior Day and the senior managers. Shaka noted that he really appreciated the managers because they had to go through a culture change. Shaka mentioned that a sense of entitlement had pervaded the Al when he arrived, even among the managers. Who would have thought a program run by a Dukie would have a sense of entitlement?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2024, 02:05:43 PM »
If by defending Wojo you mean i said he had done enough not to get fired then yes,  I defended him and was correct for six years.  Then year 7 I switched and said he had done enough to get fired and was correct again.

This obviously was me, also.

Wish I had been one of the enlightened to see it earlier, but I wasn't because I let my optimism get the better of me. I finally saw the light, called for him to get fired, was thrilled that millionaires stepped in to pay for his ouster, and I moved on.

That doesn't sound like a really big deal, but "moved on" is generally not a Scoop strength. Especially, it seems, when it comes to Wojo. While our players are cutting down the nets in Glendale on April 8, lots of Scoopers will still be complaining about a guy who has been gone for years.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2024, 02:43:02 PM »
Willie

Who was defending Wojo? Marotta?
There were plenty of posters on this board who were offering lame opinions as to why MU was stuck with Wojo. Just look back during that time frame just before he received his severance. TAMU was one of them. Important to put things in perspective. Would argue that cuttiing Wojo out was likely 2nd or third most important decision school made regarding BB program in about 60 years. First was hiring Al, and possibly second was closing the piano top on the piano man or the decision on severing Wojo. 
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2024, 02:45:09 PM »
If by defending Wojo you mean i said he had done enough not to get fired then yes,  I defended him and was correct for six years.  Then year 7 I switched and said he had done enough to get fired and was correct again.
Incorrect. Still not willing to admit it.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2024, 02:47:27 PM »
Interesting considering how much you trash his players and his coaching.
Dont think your "considering" is accurate. I see things objectively, not through blue and gold colored lenses.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2024, 02:48:12 PM »
Dont think your "considering" is accurate. I see things objectively, not through blue and gold colored lenses.

That’s the funniest thing I’ve ever read, Doctor Dung
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2024, 03:24:51 PM »

lol.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2024, 07:02:27 PM »
Dumping the piano man far exceeds dumping of Wojo as it pertains to important decisions for the future of MU basketball. Wojo at least sniffed the NCAA tournament; the piano man had us on a Detroit Mercy type path.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2024, 02:10:56 PM »
Anyone would fire the Piano Man.

Hiring KO is what saved our program.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

feedback