[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Kid-friendly Pregame location  (Read 4212 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Kid-friendly Pregame location
« on: January 10, 2012, 09:16:52 AM »
I'm meeting up with a large group (20ish) for the game on Sat.  Typically we just decide on a bar.  However, this year a few folks may be bringing some kids (~ages 4-6).  Any recommendations on a decent pregame location to meet up?

Thanks in advance
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Kid-friendly Pregame location
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:55:51 AM »
RL, hit up Loiuse's on Jefferson and Wells. Tots can garbage up on Za and you old farts still can get blackout drunk.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Clarence

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:37:41 AM »
The Loaded Slate has two tables in the front with Jenga.   That should keep them occupied

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:42:27 AM »
They might be a little young, but the Annex for bumper bowling might be fun? The service is crap, but the beer is cheap and the food isn't half bad either. If need be, you can then just take the shuttle to the game.

edit: they also have the sportscourt there where the kids could run around in.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:47:08 AM by foreverwarriors »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 10:43:23 AM »
Not a lot of great options .. but I think .. Buck Bradley's has an upstairs that's good for larger groups .. pool table, lots of room to roam.  (Their main level would be very challenging for kids, though.)

I think they take reservations for big groups, but I could be mistaken.  http://www.buckbradleys.com .. another bonus would be not having to walk far with kids to the BC.

Are you eating or just meeting?   Maybe CenterCourt (former GameTime?) .. I think they might have a videogame room .. but IIRC, their tables are high-tops (bad for kids eating.)

Trinity is another choice, but make sure you have a reservation for a large group, otherwise you would be hosed.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 10:57:09 AM »
The Loaded Slate does have the two tables up front but the Jenga is the oversized version on cocktail hour, round-style tables. Given the height of the tables and the size of the blocks... it may not work out best for the kids. They do have a smaller back room with a dedicated bar that could be quieter for the kids, but there are no games back there.

Buck Bradley's has an upstairs that's good for larger groups .. pool table, lots of room to roam.  (Their main level would be very challenging for kids, though.)

Are you eating or just meeting?   Maybe CenterCourt (former GameTime?) .. I think they might have a videogame room .. but IIRC, their tables are high-tops (bad for kids eating.)

Trinity is another choice, but make sure you have a reservation for a large group, otherwise you would be hosed.

I would agree with all of these options. The upstairs at Buck Bradleys, given the size of your group, you will need a reservation or you will need to show up rather early. CenterCourt, I believe is rather kid friendly... on game days. You might have problems with Trinity given the size of your group.

Iwould also suggest Red Rocks or the Irish Rec Room (old Whiskey River... old Bootleggers)- both on old owrld third st. They have games, pool and even a climbing wall that is free... not sure if they have kid size harnesses though. they do have a second floor, but i have not yet seen it.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 11:14:05 AM »
Wow - a ton of good recommendations.  Thanks everyone.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 11:18:10 AM »
Iwould also suggest Red Rocks or the Irish Rec Room (old Whiskey River... old Bootleggers)- both on old owrld third st. They have games, pool and even a climbing wall that is free... not sure if they have kid size harnesses though. they do have a second floor, but i have not yet seen it.

Let me modify this a bit. Red Rocks does not have games, except maybe on Big Buck Hunter game and a mechanical bull. It does have great BBQ though. The Irish Rec Room has the games and climbing wall.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 11:32:35 AM »
This is more appropriate for the summer, but you can't be a perfect parent.

http://youtu.be/P6VxS3iMKv0

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 11:42:18 AM »
A few years ago Luciells (spelling is wrong) that piano bar did a renovation and basically turned half their property into an arcade so that would be good for the kids and adults. I doubt they will have the pianos going that early which could be a good thing, but I know they have a ton of games.
Bring back FFP!!!

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 01:39:59 PM »
I thought about this one. My suggestion would be Goolsbys if it's not too crowded or buck bradleys. both menus are pretty kid friendly and there is enough space.

Red Rock (no S bilas) is 50/50. it depends if they open up the back area for space and I'm not sure how kid friendly the menus is. And I suppose it depends on if the women don't mind the husbands eyeballing the help.

Wouldn't suggest trinity personally but you could go to worse places.

Regardless of where you go make sure to call ahead

Don't listen to hilltopper. Center Court is dogcrap.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 02:31:33 PM »
A few years ago Luciells (spelling is wrong) that piano bar did a renovation and basically turned half their property into an arcade so that would be good for the kids and adults. I doubt they will have the pianos going that early which could be a good thing, but I know they have a ton of games.

Yes, just took my kids (7 and 5) there before Vandy, I think, and they have a big arcade area.  Casual, decent food, service was a bit slow but friendly.  We were told the kids could not be in the bar after 8.  Was slow, got a table right away.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 02:32:43 PM »
Henry,

Just let us know what you decide so we don't get stuck behind "Sugar, party of 20."
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 02:42:30 PM »
I'd vote thumbs down on Goolsby's .. that's no good for kids.  Always very crowded, loud, plus high top tables. 

As for CenterCourt being bad .. who knows.  It changes ownership so much, how can you tell?

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 06:59:14 PM »
I'd vote thumbs down on Goolsby's .. that's no good for kids.  Always very crowded, loud, plus high top tables.  

Goolsby's wouldn't make my three-year-old a grilled cheese, but instead had her order $47 chicken wings she wouldn't eat off of the Major's "gameday" menu.

While The Annex sucks for most things, you'll be (close to) the only people there, and the student chef will take pity on you and whip up basically anything you want.  Plus, the kids think it's cool when the 8-foot projection screen rolls down (after it is unfurled you can't see a damn thing, but that's besides the point).  Combine that with cheap booze, and Dad is a happy camper.

Also, be sneaky when bringing food into the Bradley Center (unless I just had bad luck vs. Villanova).  While I've had my diaper bag searched every game for the last five seasons, New Year's Day was the first time I was told I couldn't bring the Cheez-It's and juice boxes into the stadium.  Instead I had to pay $10 for two orders of nachos, for which my kids won't even eat the melted cheese.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:29:01 AM by WI_inferiority_complexes »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 08:34:36 PM »
Goolsby's wouldn't make my three-year-old a grilled cheese, but instead had her order $47 chicken wings she wouldn't eat off of the Major's "gameday" menu.

Also, be sneaky when bringing food into the Bradley Center (unless I just had back luck vs. Villanova).  While I've had my diaper bag searched every game for the last five seasons, New Year's Day was the first time I was told I couldn't bring the Cheez-It's and juice boxes into the stadium.  Instead I had to pay $10 for two orders of nachos, for which my kids won't even eat the melted cheese.

How will your kids ever be able to enjoy Real Chili if you let them be such picky eaters?  Mine had their first bowls when they were preschoolers.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:21:55 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 09:04:47 PM »
How will your kids ever be able to enjoy Real Chili if you let them such picky eaters?  Mine had their first bowls when they were preschoolers.

I'd worry that their little bodies have the constitutions to handle Real Chili and then a game.

RE: Goolsbys. I suggested that place simply because of its menu. Hotdog Hamburger Cheeseburger Inexpensive no brainer food.

While The Annex sucks for most things...

It sucks for everything. Don't go there.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 10:28:52 PM »
Safehouse during the day.  Lots of kids usually.  Junior kids menu.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:33:34 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 11:10:51 AM »
At the BC, put the crackers and juice boxes in your coat pockets and leave the diaper bag to be searched without any snacks in it.

My kids like the Harp, but a group of 20 may be too big for them to handle.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 12:47:16 PM »
Used to take the kids to the Annex.  Worked well.

Now we meet them at the bar.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 12:52:31 PM »
Used to take the kids to the Annex.  Worked well.

Now we meet them at the bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q29YR5-t3gg

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 12:55:58 PM »
Security guard searches of purses and diaper bags are stupidity on stilts.  You could smuggle a bazooka in under your puffy winter coat, and they wouldn't know the difference.