[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: open scholarships  (Read 15412 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: open scholarships
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2016, 08:18:44 PM »
Why?  You know the number of offers out there because you subscribe the website that it was put on.  For two open spots there are not that many offers out there right now. Pretty focused actually.

The offers and interest are all over twitter. But when I see a wing offered, and Wojo tracking another 2G for 2016, it makes me wonder how it'll all fit with 8 guys at the wing spots next year.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2016, 08:40:58 PM »
The offers and interest are all over twitter. But when I see a wing offered, and Wojo tracking another 2G for 2016, it makes me wonder how it'll all fit with 8 guys at the wing spots next year.

Someone likely leaving.  Just the way it is

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2016, 09:41:06 PM »
We are rebuilding a program and at this point still need to take the old Dallas Cowboys approach of the best available athlete.  We need to be recruiting guys now who are going to be good sophomores and juniors in a couple of years. Also taking a hard look at all available transfers and grad students. If we could pick up a grad transfer stud forward it would be huge.

As for guys leaving I don't see it. Luke is not going anywhere. JJJ is poised for a big senior year. Duane is a hometown guy with family roots here and Wojo loves him. Sandy's sister plays on the Womans team and if he transferred he would have to go to a weaker conference and less glamorous setting.  Haanif  Heldt Anim and Carter are all very happy. Rowsey just sat out a year and is all in for the program.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Boone

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2016, 10:09:53 PM »
What makes you think Anim is happy? Not saying he isn't, but he's the last scholarship player on the bench and we'll bring in another wing -- maybe 2, if you count Rowsey -- next season. Don't know that his playing time is likely to increase any time soon. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2016, 10:23:39 PM »
What makes you think Anim is happy? Not saying he isn't, but he's the last scholarship player on the bench and we'll bring in another wing -- maybe 2, if you count Rowsey -- next season. Don't know that his playing time is likely to increase any time soon.
He seems to have a good attitude and expressed up front that he knew his first year would be like it has been. Hauser  or any other freshman we recruit wont take minutes from him.  There will be 30 more minutes to go around when Henry leaves . If Henry stays he is then on what will likely be a very strong team.  Also next year he will get a lot more time in cupcake games.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tompopsicle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2016, 03:05:05 AM »
As far as redshirting goes, doesn't half of that decision need to be the player's? If he's unwilling to redshirt, I suppose the coaching staff can't necessarily force him to.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2016, 06:03:23 AM »
I don't know, Howard seems to play like an undersized wing too. More a scorer than a pure point right now. Looks like Wojo is looking for a scorer and a big.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2016, 07:17:14 AM »

So three that ended up being contributors.  One likely contributor.  One TDB.  None on last year's team.  Like I said..."a couple."
I think there were actually more than that. Some players did not work out. Bo would of definitely redshirted Cadougan after his injury. Outside of Wilson(injury) what freshmen has MU redcraped over the last 15 years. There is no doubt in my mind that a fifth year of Heldt would of been significantly more valuable than what he is able to give us this year. You would not redshirt a player that does not have a chance to contribute in the future, but in that case you should not of recruited that player in the first place. You also would not redshirt a player that has a chance to leave early. Of course a player has to agree, but if you are honest about their playing time it may not be so hard to convince them.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2016, 08:23:14 AM »
I think there were actually more than that. Some players did not work out. Bo would of definitely redshirted Cadougan after his injury. Outside of Wilson(injury) what freshmen has MU redcraped over the last 15 years. There is no doubt in my mind that a fifth year of Heldt would of been significantly more valuable than what he is able to give us this year. You would not redshirt a player that does not have a chance to contribute in the future, but in that case you should not of recruited that player in the first place. You also would not redshirt a player that has a chance to leave early. Of course a player has to agree, but if you are honest about their playing time it may not be so hard to convince them.

UW has redshirted other players.  But what's the point of redshirting guys like Evan Anderson and JP Gavinsky when all it does is tie up a scholarship for another year?  And I'm not against redshirting.  I just dispute your assertion that  redshirting has anything to do with Bo's success at UW...mostly because very few of his quality players redshirted.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2016, 08:25:08 AM »
He seems to have a good attitude and expressed up front that he knew his first year would be like it has been. Hauser  or any other freshman we recruit wont take minutes from him.  There will be 30 more minutes to go around when Henry leaves . If Henry stays he is then on what will likely be a very strong team.  Also next year he will get a lot more time in cupcake games.

Making assumptions, positively or negatively, about how players "seem" to be is probably the least significant way to determine who is going to be here next year.  That's what lead to people asserting that JJJ was going to leave.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2016, 08:43:10 AM »
Whatever happens, happens.  It's not like we're one guy away from being Top 10.  I'm viewing this a little like the Brewers.  Oh, another guy got traded?  Whatever.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2016, 08:56:03 AM »
Whatever happens, happens.  It's not like we're one guy away from being Top 10.  I'm viewing this a little like the Brewers.  Oh, another guy got traded?  Whatever.

Ouch.  Aren't the Brewers deliberately tanking in order to get higher draft picks?  They haven't gotten any talent in return that can replace the major league production that they've traded, have they?  (Not a rhetorical question, I don't follow the Brewers, so I'm not sure)
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2016, 09:07:44 AM »
Bo would of definitely redshirted Cadougan after his injury.

IIRC, Buzz wanted to redshirt Junior, but Junior wanted to play as a freshman for psychological reasons. And Buzz, trying to establish his reputation as a players' coach, relented.

That being said, you very well might be right that Bo would have forced Junior to redshirt.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2016, 09:35:30 AM »
Ouch.  Aren't the Brewers deliberately tanking in order to get higher draft picks?  They haven't gotten any talent in return that can replace the major league production that they've traded, have they?  (Not a rhetorical question, I don't follow the Brewers, so I'm not sure)

No, the Brewers aren't tanking.  They're accumulating and stockpiling as may talented "freshmen" as they can that could be major league contributors (some hopefully stars) in 2-3 years, and they're giving up their major league also-rans to get them.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2016, 10:17:25 AM »
No, the Brewers aren't tanking.  They're accumulating and stockpiling as may talented "freshmen" as they can that could be major league contributors (some hopefully stars) in 2-3 years, and they're giving up their major league also-rans to get them.

They Brewers are tanking. They just won't trade Braun because no one will give anything significant without the Crew eating his whole contract. LuCror will be moved ASAP. Gonna be a good race between the Brewers and Reds for #1 pick next year.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2016, 10:32:19 AM »

I'm not trying to draw an exact parallel.  My only point is that if some player decides to leave that he'll be replaced.  And we're no where near good enough today to anoint anyone here as the second coming.  So if Sacar were to decide to transfer (please, I'm not saying he is or should), would it make any difference at all?  I'd say no, that's all.  Moreover, it would seem extremely unlikely that any in the top 7-8 (except HE, of course) will go anywhere.  All got very solid minutes and ample opportunity.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:36:09 AM by jsglow »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2016, 10:32:51 AM »
They Brewers are tanking. They just won't trade Braun because no one will give anything significant without the Crew eating his whole contract. LuCror will be moved ASAP. Gonna be a good race between the Brewers and Reds for #1 pick next year.

I'm with brewcity here. When you talk "tanking" you're saying a team is intentionally losing for the sole purpose of moving up your draft position. The Brewers are not tanking, they are rebuilding. The farm system was a joke for the Brewers and the major league product was average at best, bad at worst. The Brewers needed to rebuild their system and they've done it in a year. Guys like Adam Lind aren't going to help the Brewers organization ever win, so if you can get young pieces for someone like him who can eventually help you you make the move without even thinking about it. The moves the Brewers have made have nothing to do about the draft and everything to do about getting pieces for the future. Baseball teams don't really build through the draft, so they don't really tank very often.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2016, 10:37:48 AM »
I'm with brewcity here. When you talk "tanking" you're saying a team is intentionally losing for the sole purpose of moving up your draft position. The Brewers are not tanking, they are rebuilding. The farm system was a joke for the Brewers and the major league product was average at best, bad at worst. The Brewers needed to rebuild their system and they've done it in a year. Guys like Adam Lind aren't going to help the Brewers organization ever win, so if you can get young pieces for someone like him who can eventually help you you make the move without even thinking about it. The moves the Brewers have made have nothing to do about the draft and everything to do about getting pieces for the future. Baseball teams don't really build through the draft, so they don't really tank very often.

Exactly right.  Baseball isn't the NBA.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2016, 10:46:41 AM »
Agree with all of this except for the last sentence. Drafts are critical to a team's success. No Bryant or Schwarber (or Baez) without the draft for the Cubs. You are correct in stating that trading for minor league talent is also important in rebuilding a farm system. But, the foundation of a farm system starts with drafting well (see the [f'ing] Cards).

Edit: There are are 40 rounds in the amateur draft. That's 40 players going into your system every year! Short of the Yankees, you need to get it right more often than not to have sustained success (though even Cashman now gets that you can't throw money at all the problems all of the time now).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:49:35 AM by Windyplayer »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2016, 10:54:47 AM »

Not to be argumentative but assuming everyone stays except, and our recruits come in next year we would literally be a Henry Ellenson away from being a top 10 team next year so we would be one guy away.

The argument for a lot of the losses this year are youth and inexperience(which I agree with) so next year we wouldn't have that. Also the Big East will be less good in total than it was this year as there is a lot of senior talent leaving (Dunn, Dunham, Roosevelt Jones, DSR, Ryan A, etc) and young talent likely leaving like Ellenson and Whitehead.

All in all, we've got bad timing, if we had this years team last year, we're top 4 in Big East or if we had next year's team this year we're top 5 in the Big East. Bad year to have no experience.

But either way, I stand-by the statement that we are one above average to great college play away from being top 10. We'll see what happens in the Juco/Grad transfer market. Maybe we get a Damion Lee type transfer this year as the missing piece.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2016, 11:01:22 AM »
It's hard to redshirt anyone when you only have 10 eligible players on your team.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2016, 11:05:57 AM »
Not to be argumentative but assuming everyone stays except, and our recruits come in next year we would literally be a Henry Ellenson away from being a top 10 team next year so we would be one guy away.

The argument for a lot of the losses this year are youth and inexperience(which I agree with) so next year we wouldn't have that. Also the Big East will be less good in total than it was this year as there is a lot of senior talent leaving (Dunn, Dunham, Roosevelt Jones, DSR, Ryan A, etc) and young talent likely leaving like Ellenson and Whitehead.

All in all, we've got bad timing, if we had this years team last year, we're top 4 in Big East or if we had next year's team this year we're top 5 in the Big East. Bad year to have no experience.

But either way, I stand-by the statement that we are one above average to great college play away from being top 10. We'll see what happens in the Juco/Grad transfer market. Maybe we get a Damion Lee type transfer this year as the missing piece.

You beat me to it.   If everybody returns next year, this is a top 10 team.   If Henry Leaves and MU picks up a Damion Lee type and a freshman 6'8 mauler, along with Hauser and Rowsey, MU is a tournament team and probably ranked most of the season.   I believe with every fiber of my being that a year of experience with this team will make that much difference.    But there has to be some size picked up with the last scholarship(s).   I know Howard is really good, but if MU gets him and no size, then it is a fringe tourney team. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2016, 11:15:05 AM »
You beat me to it.   If everybody returns next year, this is a top 10 team.   If Henry Leaves and MU picks up a Damion Lee type and a freshman 6'8 mauler, along with Hauser and Rowsey, MU is a tournament team and probably ranked most of the season.   I believe with every fiber of my being that a year of experience with this team will make that much difference.    But there has to be some size picked up with the last scholarship(s).   I know Howard is really good, but if MU gets him and no size, then it is a fringe tourney team. 

I would believe this if we were playing more consistently at this point in the year - specifically our guard play.  Vander made a jump yr 1 to 2 but his real jump was year 3.  I hope the lights turn on but based on the last 3 weeks of bball - I am having a hard time seeing it.  Nothing would make me happier than being wrong.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2016, 11:23:01 AM »

I'm not a Brewers fan, but I am an avid follower of baseball. This is totally off topic, but...the Brewers were in a real bad spot. They didn't really have a choice but to do what they did / are doing. You certainly can get an organizational changing players by drafting in top 5, although it's not as easy or quick as it is in other sports. I mean, the Brewers are rebuilding - I don't anticipate them being horrible for a decade in the mode of the Astros, KC, Cubs, etc.  I suppose that is tanking...but the Brewers are not attempting to put a competitive product on the field in 2016 and they will almost certainly be drafting in the top 5 again.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2016, 11:32:24 AM »
It's hard to redshirt anyone when you only have 10 eligible players on your team.

Bingo.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback