[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's future  (Read 17230 times)

Floorslapper

• All American
Re: Wojo's future
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2018, 10:05:53 AM »
This should settle things once and for all:

https://twitter.com/PresLovell/status/976278022809628672

Let's wait at least 6-8 months before we revisit this topic, shall we?

Nice vote of confidence/reassurance to Wojo from Lovell.  Suspect Lovell picked up on Wojo's thin skin and wanted to give him a pat on the back.

I sure hope our standard of a "great season" hasn't sunk to the level of 3rd Round NIT defeat.  If that is the case, perhaps Goose was right, and admin wants our program to be SLU?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2018, 10:10:12 AM »
Nice vote of confidence/reassurance to Wojo from Lovell.  Suspect Lovell picked up on Wojo's thin skin and wanted to give him a pat on the back.

I sure hope our standard of a "great season" hasn't sunk to the level of 3rd Round NIT defeat.  If that is the case, perhaps Goose was right, and admin wants our program to be SLU?

What program in the Big East is a realistic benchmark for you?

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2018, 10:15:24 AM »

Well considering we were near the very top of the 16-team Big East under Crean and Buzz, I don't think it is too much to ask that we be in the Top 4 now, along with Nova, GTown, Xavier.  I put GTown there as they are a program rich in history...and will have appeal to recruits.  Ewing turned in a decent first year.

By the way, you never had any feedback for me on the "interesting" 3-point shooting stats I mentioned.  What happened?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2018, 10:35:49 AM »
Well considering we were near the very top of the 16-team Big East under Crean and Buzz, I don't think it is too much to ask that we be in the Top 4 now, along with Nova, GTown, Xavier.  I put GTown there as they are a program rich in history...and will have appeal to recruits.  Ewing turned in a decent first year.

By the way, you never had any feedback for me on the "interesting" 3-point shooting stats I mentioned.  What happened?

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2018, 10:39:02 AM »

Xavier

Goose

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2018, 11:11:29 AM »
If Lovell felt this was a great season, either he has little interest in being a big time program or he has too much Panther blood in him. In  today's twitter world I would have expected a similar type tweet from MU. IMO, I hope it is simply window dressing and not what the expectations from the university are for the program.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2018, 11:14:08 AM »
If Lovell felt this was a great season, either he has little interest in being a big time program or he has too much Panther blood in him. In  today's twitter world I would have expected a similar type tweet from MU. IMO, I hope it is simply window dressing and not what the expectations from the university are for the program.

Hopefully that's Pitt and not UWM

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2018, 11:23:56 AM »
It would be against HPPIAA rules to post.

Score

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2018, 11:26:17 AM »

Yeah... I think most university presidents tweet that about their main moneymaking sport regardless of outcome. I think it has zero to do with the perceived thickness of Wojos skin
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2018, 11:27:00 AM »

Suspect Lovell picked up on Wojo's thin skin and wanted to give him a pat on the back.

That's pretty cynical of you to assume that.  He was at the game; perhaps he just wanted to congratulate Wojo.

Have you ever read any of Dr. Lovell's other tweets?  If what you are saying is true, he must have the most thin-skinned faculty, staff and student body of any university in the U.S.
Have some patience, FFS.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2018, 11:27:36 AM »

Nova on steroids
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2018, 11:28:07 AM »

Expectations for program?  Not even close.

Expectations for this individual season? About right on target
TAMU

Goose

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2018, 11:28:31 AM »
Lovell is far better tweeter than public speaker. Maybe he can tweet at graduation.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2018, 11:29:43 AM »
Xavier

It's a pretty good choice.

1. Has made the NCAA every year even though they're more likely to finish at or around .500 in conference (like MU has last three years) than they are near the top.

2. Current regular season champions.

3. Do better in MSG when they are .500 in conference then when they win 14 or 15 games. Made the Semi five times and have failed to advance four times.

4. And they don't make it out of the first weekend in the NCAA Tournament when either a 2 seed or a 1 seed.

In sum, if Marquette was an average team that snuck out an Elite Eight but failed badly in the NCAA as a high seed and threw in a regular season championship over the next five years it would be a success. I am skeptical it would be seen that way as it all transpired.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2018, 11:30:59 AM »
TAMU

I was somewhat teasing. I believe he would love to have a top level program. I would love to be a toned, world class triathlete, but my 45 minutes (daily, I might add) on the treadmill has not proven to get me to my goal.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2018, 11:32:28 AM »

Do you consider Wojo's first year decent?

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2018, 11:39:29 AM »
That's pretty cynical of you to assume that.  He was at the game; perhaps he just wanted to congratulate Wojo.

Have you ever read any of Dr. Lovell's other tweets?  If what you are saying is true, he must have the most thin-skinned faculty, staff and student body of any university in the U.S.

I haven't seen other tweets of Lovell's.  I do feel to label this season as "great," is a stretch.  I would say it was entertaining and fun, which has good value, yet we underachieved given the sublimely talented Markus, Andrew and Sam.  Wojo as a coach gets an A for getting those guys to MU, but the inability to strategically coach them to an NCAA berth IMO is worthy of a D.  Net grade for season:  C  (not exactly "great.")

As for Wojo's thin skin - Between the snarky reaction to student reporter politely asking him where he could improve as a coach, the press conference stating that only the "real" MU fans come to NIT game, and to reference "people don't like me using that word - young," all point toward Steve feeling a bit sensitive.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2018, 11:47:52 AM »
Do you consider Wojo's first year decent?

No.  Don't recall us finishing 5-13 in conference, with 2 defeats coming in double OT, and 2 more defeats coming in OT.  We were 4-14 with 2 OT games. 

GTown was thought to be a dumpster fire this year.  Went to OT with Syracuse.  They went to OT against Butler and Xavier.  Took us to OT.  Actually beat Butler this year, which qualifies as a better win than we achieved this year per Pomeroy.

So.  All in all.  A "decent" first year by Ewing benchmarked against expectations and Year 1 under Wojo. 

What's your best guess as to where GTown will be in Year 4 of the Ewing regime?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2018, 11:54:26 AM »
No.  Don't recall us finishing 5-13 in conference, with 2 defeats coming in double OT, and 2 more defeats coming in OT.  We were 4-14 with 2 OT games. 

GTown was thought to be a dumpster fire this year.  Went to OT with Syracuse.  They went to OT against Butler and Xavier.  Took us to OT.  Actually beat Butler this year, which qualifies as a better win than we achieved this year per Pomeroy.

So.  All in all.  A "decent" first year by Ewing benchmarked against expectations and Year 1 under Wojo. 

What's your best guess as to where GTown will be in Year 4 of the Ewing regime?

Aren't you all about KenPom? Cause Wojos first season had a better KenPom then Ewings
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2018, 11:56:07 AM »
I haven't seen other tweets of Lovell's.  I do feel to label this season as "great," is a stretch.  I would say it was entertaining and fun, which has good value, yet we underachieved given the sublimely talented Markus, Andrew and Sam.  Wojo as a coach gets an A for getting those guys to MU, but the inability to strategically coach them to an NCAA berth IMO is worthy of a D.  Net grade for season:  C  (not exactly "great.")

As for Wojo's thin skin - Between the snarky reaction to student reporter politely asking him where he could improve as a coach, the press conference stating that only the "real" MU fans come to NIT game, and to reference "people don't like me using that word - young," all point toward Steve feeling a bit sensitive.

Aren't you all about KenPom?  Cause we finished exactly where he said we would. So how did we underachieve?
TAMU

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2018, 12:02:34 PM »
Aren't you all about KenPom?  Cause we finished exactly where he said we would. So how did we underachieve?

True.  Ken Pom did predict us in 50s to start season.  Guess where I feel we underachieved - we were sublime offensively.  One of only 5 high major teams to be Top 20 in 3pt Shooting % AND Top 100 in 3 Point Attempts - the others being Purdue, Nova, Kansas, Michigan State, and we pale in comparison.  eFG% reigns supreme, right?

I know you are all over 7 seed for next year...Want to wager we don't finish in Top 28 Pomeroy next season?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2018, 12:04:20 PM »

He was an assistant associate head coach at Duke University from a young man up until he was a slightly-older young man.  He's probably got a bit of an ego.  Which sucks because, contrary to what he might believe, he hasn't done anything yet that is deserving of having one. 

This is part of the growing pains of having such a young, inexperienced head coach.  He hasn't really had the chance to be humbled yet.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2018, 12:07:05 PM »
Because truth be told nowdays it isn't that hard to get into the NCAA tournament. Looking strictly at the Big East...to me, Butler overachieved, Creighton certainly overachieved, I'd even argue Providence overachieved. Yet MU just "achieved". To me, that is underachieving, regardless of where they were projected to finish. Point is, if other teams in the same conference can overachieve, why can't MU??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2018, 12:10:29 PM »
True.  Ken Pom did predict us in 50s to start season.  Guess where I feel we underachieved - we were sublime offensively.  One of only 5 high major teams to be Top 20 in 3pt Shooting % AND Top 100 in 3 Point Attempts - the others being Purdue, Nova, Kansas, Michigan State, and we pale in comparison.  eFG% reigns supreme, right?

I know you are all over 7 seed for next year...Want to wager we don't finish in Top 28 Pomeroy next season?

Got it, we didn't underachieve, we met expectations. You just don't like how we met expectations. And eFG% reigns supreme doesn't mean if you shoot a high eFG% you win. It means if your eFG% difference is higher you win (most of the time). We were elite on one end and dreadful on the other.

And sure, you have a theoretical wager on next season. Feel free to bookmark this page and you can rub it in my face if I end up being wrong. But I will take the win with either a top 28 kenpom ranking or a top 7 seed.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2018, 12:13:34 PM »
Because truth be told nowdays it isn't that hard to get into the NCAA tournament. Looking strictly at the Big East...to me, Butler overachieved, Creighton certainly overachieved, I'd even argue Providence overachieved. Yet MU just "achieved". To me, that is underachieving, regardless of where they were projected to finish. Point is, if other teams in the same conference can overachieve, why can't MU??

I don't have a KenPom subscription, but I'm pretty sure that Butler, Creighton, and Providence were all projected to go into the NCAA tournament preseason. If you go by KenPom, Providence actually massively underachieved. They were rated in the 70s by KenPom, one of the lowest in history for an at large team.

The reality is, we ended up exactly where we were supposed to. We just don't like the reality that those expectations were outside the NCAA tournament.
TAMU