[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Archdiocese of New Orleans  (Read 2294 times)

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
Re: Archdiocese of New Orleans
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2024, 12:40:52 PM »
Sadly my MIL's parish will be closing in the next 6-9 months. It has a mainstay in her life since they moved here in 1978 and she has attended daily Mass 99% of the days she is lived here. She was choir director, music teacher at the school and the closing hit the family hard.

On a sidenote, Pat Connaughton bought the property, and his real estate company is building the apartment complex on the land.

That last sentence is the most ND thing I've ever read.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2024, 12:44:57 PM »
Murphy's

That is a great call!!

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2024, 04:11:42 PM »
That last sentence is the most ND thing I've ever read.

I'm assuming this is in reference to the St. Bernard's property?  If so, I didn't know Pat bought that. 
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2024, 07:35:13 PM »
No

Yes, St. Bernard’s.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2024, 09:22:28 PM »
I live 4 blocks from St. Bernard's. I feel bad and will miss it----a vital part of the community.

As far as Connaughton, I guess an apartment complex is better than a Kwik Trip.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2024, 11:50:14 PM »
I don't think that reconsidering celibacy is going to do much to fix the priest shortage.  Given that most who are called to vocations were Traditional Latin Mass attendees rather than Norvus Ordo attendees, perhaps the solution might be to expand TLM offerings.  Too bad this current pope hates the Traditional Latin Mass.

https://liturgyguy.com/2018/10/08/vocations-foundations/

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #81 on: Today at 01:08:01 AM »
I don't think that reconsidering celibacy is going to do much to fix the priest shortage.  Given that most who are called to vocations were Traditional Latin Mass attendees rather than Norvus Ordo attendees, perhaps the solution might be to expand TLM offerings.  Too bad this current pope hates the Traditional Latin Mass.

That's a....take. I think you and your article has causation and corrolation mixed up
« Last Edit: Today at 01:12:05 AM by TAMU, Knower of Ball »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #82 on: Today at 05:08:44 AM »

“We should grown the game of basketball by taking away the shot clock and the three point line.”
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #83 on: Today at 05:44:29 AM »

completely agree here jutaw-there are so many young men who...gasp...long for the traditional.  it doesn't mean they want to return saying masses in Latin, but there remains certain key things they would like to retain and maintain.  exactly which ones, you'd have to ask them. 

for further incite into the implosion of the Catholic priests implosion, check out the book, "good bye good men"  it tells the story of how many good men could not advance within the seminary's ranks thus move on within the education system toward priesthood if they didn't "go along" with the new status quo which included some very nefarious activities.  milwaukee's(st Francis de sales) and Hales corner's (sacred heart) seminaries are referenced often
don't...don't don't don't don't

Goose

• All American
« Reply #84 on: Today at 06:35:19 AM »
Dribbler

I sent you a PM.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #85 on: Today at 06:55:08 AM »
https://www.christianpost.com/news/under-1-of-catholics-agree-with-sanctity-of-life-teachings-data.html

We are all cafeteria Catholics.    I remember having this argument with Chicos.    How many Catholics are:    Anti-abortion, anti-death penalty, anti-euthanasia, pro-immigrant, pro-poor, anti-gay unions, pro-environment?    Not very many.   

I know that if my parish gets a young rad-trad priest, I will probably grind my teeth for my son's last year of Catholic high school and then go parish shopping.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #86 on: Today at 07:35:03 AM »
tower

It is not easy to be all in Catholic these days. There is a good number of people at my parish that are all in, but their beliefs are not well received by everyone in our parish.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #87 on: Today at 07:37:14 AM »
  completely agree here jutaw-there are so many young men who...gasp...long for the traditional.  it doesn't mean they want to return saying masses in Latin, but there remains certain key things they would like to retain and maintain.  exactly which ones, you'd have to ask them. 

for further incite into the implosion of the Catholic priests implosion, check out the book, "good bye good men"  it tells the story of how many good men could not advance within the seminary's ranks thus move on within the education system toward priesthood if they didn't "go along" with the new status quo which included some very nefarious activities.  milwaukee's(st Francis de sales) and Hales corner's (sacred heart) seminaries are referenced often

That book was all the rage about 20 years ago when people tried to blame liberals for the Church sex abuse scandal. But I think the last couple of decades show that the scandal was systemic in nature, and knew no traditional leanings.

Furthermore, the suggestion that there is no room for orthodox young men in the seminaries really doesn't jibe with what I have seen from younger priests.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #88 on: Today at 07:47:42 AM »
That book was all the rage about 20 years ago when people tried to blame liberals for the Church sex abuse scandal. But I think the last couple of decades show that the scandal was systemic in nature, and knew no traditional leanings.

Furthermore, the suggestion that there is no room for orthodox young men in the seminaries really doesn't jibe with what I have seen from younger priests.

Everything is a conspiracy, you see.  It extended across the globe as part of a vast liberal plot.

By no means could the church itself or the religion itself be culpable.

Systemic?  Hogwash.  The liberals caused it.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #89 on: Today at 07:54:47 AM »
tower

It is not easy to be all in Catholic these days. There is a good number of people at my parish that are all in, but their beliefs are not well received by everyone in our parish.
Goose, the challenge is being all in when taking into account modern politics.    Catholic teachings on life as well as social teachings are consistent.    However, when viewed through a political lens, they are all over the spectrum and seemingly contradictory.  Preferencetial option for the poor, pro immigration AND anti gay marriage?!?    Pro free market AND pro state control guaranteeing the rights of the worker as well as making sure the poor are taken care of?  Because we are also political creatures, we pick and choose the Catholic teachings  that buttress our political thought and disregard the rest.
    I don't claim to have the answer.  I just want us to be self aware before labeling others.   Own your (stuff).
« Last Edit: Today at 08:21:23 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #90 on: Today at 08:07:08 AM »
if they didn't "go along" with the new status quo which included some very nefarious activities.

more nefarious than trusted religious leaders raping little boys, with the church covering up the scandal for decades and decades? please tell us more ...
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #91 on: Today at 08:09:30 AM »
That was happening in the seminaries, too.

feedback