'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka  (Read 99440 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Shaka
« Reply #225 on: April 02, 2015, 07:01:59 PM »
No, try this ... Their are no glamour jobs, their are elite coaches.  They make their job a glamour job.  See Al McGuire.  See K. See Calipari, see Pitino.

SO, the coach makes the job, the job does not make the coach.  Crean taught us this again.  Like I said above, Crean's success at IU is on par with his success at MU.  So either IU and MU are the same job, or, "what you see is what you get with Crean."  He can go to "insert elite school name here" and his results are going to be the same as the last 15 years.

I guess I'm just confused. UNC (was a hell of a destination before Roy), Kansas (was a hell of a destination before Self), UCLA (was a hell of a destination before Alford), etc. I would argue there are certain schools/programs that are absolutely considered glamour jobs over others, regardless of what coach is there. Success at those schools, on the other hand, is dependent more upon the coach.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #226 on: April 02, 2015, 07:05:34 PM »
I think his argument would be that Roy and Self had similar success at KU & Illinois, respectively (or at least Self's players did). Alford, well, not sure he's proven much other than UCLA still pulls in recruits.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #227 on: April 02, 2015, 07:11:35 PM »
I guess I'm just confused. UNC (was a hell of a destination before Roy), Kansas (was a hell of a destination before Self), UCLA (was a hell of a destination before Alford), etc. I would argue there are certain schools/programs that are absolutely considered glamour jobs over others, regardless of what coach is there. Success at those schools, on the other hand, is dependent more upon the coach.
Which "glamour job" resulted in regular deep tourney runs and national championships without a great coach?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #228 on: April 02, 2015, 07:11:47 PM »

They can get the elite coach because they have money, facilities conference (schedule/TV exposure) and fertile recruiting territories.  But if they pick the wrong coach, they are very average.  See Daugherty at UNC, see Gillespie at UK.

MU has money, facilities conference (schedule/TV exposure) but fertile recruiting territories (state of Wisconsin) has been good lately but will it always be this way?  Unknown

(and don't worry about FS1, as they push MLB, NFL, Pac-12 and B1G, it will get more exposure.  Recall how the Big East was foolish to pass network TV for something called ESPN.  How did that work out?)

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #229 on: April 02, 2015, 07:12:18 PM »
I guess I'm just confused. UNC (was a hell of a destination before Roy)

Yes, but that's just because of the Matt Doherty legacy.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #230 on: April 02, 2015, 07:13:42 PM »
I think his argument would be that Roy and Self had similar success at KU & Illinois, respectively (or at least Self's players did). Alford, well, not sure he's proven much other than UCLA still pulls in recruits.

.... because southern CA is full of high D1 recruits.  Wisconsin does not (to contrast MU's problem)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #231 on: April 02, 2015, 07:14:37 PM »
They can get the elite coach because they have money, facilities conference (schedule/TV exposure) and fertile recruiting territories.  But if they pick the wrong coach, they are very average.  See Daugherty at UNC, see Gillespie at UK.

MU has money, facilities conference (schedule/TV exposure) but fertile recruiting territories (state of Wisconsin) has been good lately but will it always be this way?  Unknown

(and don't worry about FS1, as they push MLB, NFL, Pac-12 and B1G, it will get more exposure.  Recall how the Big East was foolish to pass network TV for something called ESPN.  How did that work out?)

No doubt. But even after those average coaches leave the university, those are still glamour jobs. That's my point. "Glamour" jobs supercede coaches.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #232 on: April 02, 2015, 07:15:21 PM »
Which "glamour job" resulted in regular deep tourney runs and national championships without a great coach?

Like I said... success depends on the coach.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #233 on: April 02, 2015, 07:16:01 PM »

+1

If it was the school, then Texas should hire some random assistant on the cheap.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #234 on: April 02, 2015, 07:16:12 PM »
.... because southern CA is full of high D1 recruits.  Wisconsin does not (to contrast MU's problem)

Yet Alford got his best recruit from Wisconsin...
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #235 on: April 02, 2015, 07:16:38 PM »
+1

If it was the school, then Texas should hire some random assistant on the cheap.

Did you not read my post? Or the post he quoted?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #236 on: April 02, 2015, 07:19:56 PM »
No doubt. But even after those average coaches leave the university, those are still glamour jobs. That's my point. "Glamour" jobs supercede coaches.

Let me define "Glamour" = they spend money and it's a priority.  If DePaul spent money and made it a priority (which they do not right now), they could be a Glamour job.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #237 on: April 02, 2015, 07:27:46 PM »
Jerry Meyer retweeted
Robbie King ‏@robbieAreBest  12m12 minutes ago
BREAKING: Shaka Smart to replace Zayn Malik in One Direction

#donedeal?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #238 on: April 02, 2015, 07:28:15 PM »
Let me define "Glamour" = they spend money and it's a priority.  If DePaul spent money and made it a priority (which they do not right now), they could be a Glamour job.

Weird. You just said a couple posts ago that "there are no glamour jobs only elite coaches". And "they make their job a glamour job". Which is it? There aren't any or there are and they are defined as above?

Also, by your definition, Marquette is a glamour job.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #239 on: April 02, 2015, 07:41:40 PM »
This "glamour job" discussion got me thinking. 

As I noted, Crean moving to IU exposed either Crean or IU.  Crean is not better than he was at MU (which is not bad).  If Crean thought he had a ceiling at MU, his move to IU showed he did not.  Or IU is no better than MU. 

If Shaka go to Texas, does he do better than VCU?  Does Shaka have a higher ceiling than he is showing at VCU?  If VCU holding him back?

Now, personally Texas is better for Shaka than VCU as he will make a lot more money.  But, if Shaka results at Texas are larger the same as VCU the last five years, does that mean he was a failure?

Can anyone name an established high D1 coach that was held back by his school?  Even Calipari made FF at Mass and Memphis.  So he was an established FF coach at multiple schools before schools before Kentucky.  To be clear I'm not talking about mid-major coaches jumping to high major.

This is why I hate hiring retreads what they often do is repeat their performance at the next stop.  They are not better.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #240 on: April 02, 2015, 07:52:45 PM »

As I noted, Crean moving to IU exposed either Crean or IU.  Crean is not better than he was at MU (which is not bad).  If Crean thought he had a ceiling at MU, his move to IU showed he did not.  Or IU is no better than MU. 

If Shaka go to Texas, does he do better than VCU?  Does Shaka have a higher ceiling than he is showing at VCU?  If VCU holding him back?

Now, personally Texas is better for Shaka than VCU as he will make a lot more money.  But, if Shaka results at Texas are larger the same as VCU the last five years, does that mean he was a failure?

Can anyone name an established high D1 coach that was held back by his school?  Even Calipari made FF at Mass and Memphis.  So he was an established FF coach at multiple schools before schools before Kentucky.  To be clear I'm not talking about mid-major coaches jumping to high major.

This is why I hate hiring retreads what they often do is repeat their performance at the next stop.  They are not better.

Wouldn't VCU by definition be a mid major?
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #241 on: April 02, 2015, 07:57:07 PM »

Did it get you thinking about your definition of glamour job? And your flip-flopping of whether they exist?

Also, I don't think using the Calipari example is a great one, considering how he got those FFs at Mass and Memphis.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #242 on: April 02, 2015, 08:33:38 PM »
Just checked the VCU board and the site is crashing.  It's not allowing new posters.  Willie, since you already have an account, get in there and TROLLOLOLOLLLL. 

There is even a St Joe's poster in there hoping that Shaka doesn't leave (I never thought about his departure's effect on their conference mates).

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #243 on: April 02, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »

30-35 years ago DePaul was absolutely a glamour job. Played on WGN and before Jordan was huge were the biggest game in town.
We Are Marquette

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #244 on: April 02, 2015, 09:07:44 PM »
Just checked the VCU board and the site is crashing.  It's not allowing new posters.  Willie, since you already have an account, get in there and TROLLOLOLOLLLL.  
There is even a St Joe's poster in there hoping that Shaka doesn't leave (I never thought about his departure's effect on their conference mates).

Allegedly UT checked on Jay Wright's interest in their HC job.  I would never want him to leave the Big East.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:11:25 PM by VegasWarrior77 »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #245 on: April 02, 2015, 09:21:40 PM »
Allegedly UT checked on Jay Wright's interest in their HC job.  I would never want him to leave the Big East.

Any rumors about UT going hard for Bert? I mean, that was the Scoop Boogeyman for years!

Death on call

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #246 on: April 02, 2015, 09:34:18 PM »
Wouldn't VCU by definition be a mid major?

Good question.

Is a mid-major simply someone not in the Power 5 and/or BE?  Or is a mid-major based on that schools' performance.  In their recruiting and record, VCU looks like a high major school (while DePaul and/or Northwestern are more like mid-majors).

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #247 on: April 02, 2015, 09:36:12 PM »
Shaka to UT sounds like it's happening.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #248 on: April 02, 2015, 09:36:46 PM »
#donedeal

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #249 on: April 02, 2015, 09:58:59 PM »
RT @SportsCenter: BREAKING: Shaka Smart has accepted Texas' head coaching job. (via @GoodmanESPN and media reports) http://t.co/VlDiPJk32v7 mins ago