[Today at 12:43:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MU82
[Today at 12:22:29 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka  (Read 99476 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Shaka
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2015, 08:51:49 AM »
Disagree. I think this is how we're looked at on a national level, not only by the public and media, but also by coaches.

It is what it is.  Marquette is just fine as a program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2015, 08:54:30 AM »
Someone ring up VCU Insider and ax 'em how it feels to drop back inta mediocrity, never to be heard from again?

Outside of 1 NCAA Tournament run they've never really been much more.  They've been closer to a George Mason as a program than they have a Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2015, 09:01:07 AM »
This is so wrong to me....when I was at MU, O'Donnell was all chicks and for whatever reason, the better looking ones.

Could not agree more...even in my day. If I remember correctly a Miss Wisconson resided there when I attended.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2015, 09:04:53 AM »
Disagree. I think this is how we're looked at on a national level, not only by the public and media, but also by coaches.

So everyone thinks Shaka is a liar.  All that talk about his wife not wanting to move to Milwaukee was made up. 

They all think that Shaka has a secret list of "elite" programs and MU was not on it.  And this alone was the only thing that drove his decision to leave VCU.  So, his declining means we are not as good as Austin?

This is what you're saying.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #179 on: April 02, 2015, 09:14:13 AM »
Canzano: Shaka Smart has no idea what he's getting into at Texas
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2015/04/canzano_shaka_smart_has_no_ide.html
Texas athletic director Steve Patterson oversaw the least successful run in Blazers franchise history (Statesman.com)

John Canzano | The Oregonian/OregonLive By John Canzano | The Oregonian/OregonLive

on April 01, 2015 at 8:03 PM, updated April 01, 2015 at 11:19 PM
I am certain Shaka Smart knows basketball. I'm confident the VCU coach (for now) recognizes a good opportunity when he sees one. But what I'm most certain of is that Smart has no idea what he'd be signing on for when it comes to working for University of Texas athletic director Steve Patterson.

Smart is reportedly in deep discussions with Texas. The Longhorns believe he's their next men's basketball coach. I'm certain he's a sucker if he takes the job. Because the hope here is that Smart is wise enough to weed through the salesmanship from Patterson and do some research on the guy who engineered the least productive era of NBA basketball in Portland.

Patterson likes to take credit for the Trail Blazers "rebuild," but anyone who was there knows better. During a four-year period beginning in 2003, Patterson fostered an unhealthy culture inside the organization, he fired more than 100 employees, he threw what was then the Rose Garden Arena into bankruptcy, cracked down on anyone who crossed him, and plotted from his president's office to also become the team's general manager (2006-07).
Before Patterson, the Blazers reached the NBA playoffs in 21 consecutive seasons. In Patterson's four seasons, Portland never finished better than .500, and the 21-61 record in 2005-06 tied for the worst finish in franchise history.

His draft picks were bad (Martell Webster over Chris Paul, for example). His grandstanding, including the time Patterson announced he couldn't trade Damon Stoudamire for a folding chair, grew tired. But it was the undermining of employees, the fostering of mistrust in the halls of the organization that led to his departure in 2007.

Remember the time Patterson fined Darius Miles $150,000 and publicly scolded the small forward for berating his coach in a film session? I do. So does then-coach Maurice Cheeks. Because that act of support for Cheeks was followed by a back-room deal between Patterson and Miles in which the small forward would receive every penny of the fine back, plus interest. When I informed Cheeks of the arrangement, he said, "I might as well pack my bags."

Smart?

You getting all this?

Smart, 37, has averaged better than 27 victories a season at his current university. He made the 2011 Final Four. A union between a sleeping-giant like Texas and a general like Smart makes complete sense. Right up to the point where you see Patterson lingering in the background, bumbling along.

It ends ugly with Patterson. He gets you before you get him. That's the way he operates. And if Smart is willing to spend the energy and exert a fair amount of attention to managing his athletic director, then by all means, he should accept the job.

But why?

Why leave VCU, where you've already proven you can reach a Final Four? Why leave a university where you're being cast for a bronze statue in exchange for a place who handed the keys to a boob? In Patterson's short time in Texas, he's talked about playing football games in Dubai and the United Arab Emirates. He ran off Mack Brown from the football program like a teenager who didn't know how to break up with his girlfriend.

Patterson has now flushed Rick Barnes, who was scooped up by Tennessee. Barnes revealed this week that Patterson told him after his NCAA Tournament loss that he'd be back for another season, then shifted course, demanding that he fire assistants or be gone himself. Also, that tidbit was leaked, in a move that had familiar fingerprints all over it.

I understand what people see in Patterson. He talks the talk. He pretends to know where the money is buried. He grew up in arenas, learning how to work the room. The surprise is how woeful he is once he gets control of the room.

If Smart takes the job, he should do so only with total autonomy. No other way around it. Because Patterson will eventually get in his way. He can't help it.

Smart is doing his diligence, presumably. I'd suggest a call to Cheeks. Maybe some contact with those who worked under Patterson at ASU and certainly at One Center Court. Maybe talk, too, to Arizona assistant Damon Stoudamire, a guy Patterson pointed to and tried to embarrass by declaring he wasn't worth a folding chair.
I'll bet Stoudamire would never take that job.

Talk about smart.

--- @JohnCanzanoBFT
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #180 on: April 02, 2015, 09:29:06 AM »
Those are a lot of conclusions to draw off of his relatively short tenure with the Blazers, much of which I would blame Paul Allen for anyway.  I know they really liked him at Arizona State.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #181 on: April 02, 2015, 09:50:12 AM »
So everyone thinks Shaka is a liar.  All that talk about his wife not wanting to move to Milwaukee was made up. 

They all think that Shaka has a secret list of "elite" programs and MU was not on it.  And this alone was the only thing that drove his decision to leave VCU.  So, his declining means we are not as good as Austin?

What I'm sayin' is other than payin' a competitive salary, the rest of the program leaves a lot to be desired in the eyes of those who matter. Really hard to generate some traction at a medium sized catholic university in downtown Milwaukee, Wisconsin that plays in the Big East, on FS Sports, and has been a steppin' stone gig for the last 3 head coaches.
Now, comparin' this program to schools in the Big 10, ACC, Big 12, etc., from all viewpoints, is just not valid. Doesn't mean we can't compete, or even consistently compete on their level. It just means this job is tougher.
From the late 70's on, MU dropped the ball and didn't have a vision to kick the entire program up a few notches. Bad hires, slow to react to conference affiliation, facilities, etc. all contributed to the thought that we are closer to mid-major status than elite status.

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #182 on: April 02, 2015, 09:56:57 AM »

When did Shaka ever say that he wanted to come to Marquette but his wife put a stop to it?  I don't remember him ever making such a comment, and he would be stupid to have made that comment.  It's what the people who bought the "done deal" comment fell back on once it wasn't such a done deal.  "Couldn't be that I got bad info, must've been that the wife didn't like Milwaukee."

But, yes, Texas is a better job than Marquette.  Pays more, in a better conference, surrounded by more talent, more boosters to make your life easier to recruit, nice campus, warmer weather, etc.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #183 on: April 02, 2015, 10:23:55 AM »
When did Shaka ever say that he wanted to come to Marquette but his wife put a stop to it?  I don't remember him ever making such a comment, and he would be stupid to have made that comment.  It's what the people who bought the "done deal" comment fell back on once it wasn't such a done deal.  "Couldn't be that I got bad info, must've been that the wife didn't like Milwaukee."

That's what he told Doc.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #184 on: April 02, 2015, 10:29:13 AM »
We need to get 4ever some underwear stuffing so he can better-weather these perceived slights he's manufacturing. Nobody thinks this. Shaka turned down UC-effing-LA.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

MU82

• All American
« Reply #185 on: April 02, 2015, 10:37:13 AM »
Canzano: Shaka Smart has no idea what he's getting into at Texas
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2015/04/canzano_shaka_smart_has_no_ide.html
Texas athletic director Steve Patterson oversaw the least successful run in Blazers franchise history (Statesman.com)

John Canzano | The Oregonian/OregonLive By John Canzano | The Oregonian/OregonLive

on April 01, 2015 at 8:03 PM, updated April 01, 2015 at 11:19 PM
I am certain Shaka Smart knows basketball. I'm confident the VCU coach (for now) recognizes a good opportunity when he sees one. But what I'm most certain of is that Smart has no idea what he'd be signing on for when it comes to working for University of Texas athletic director Steve Patterson.

Smart is reportedly in deep discussions with Texas. The Longhorns believe he's their next men's basketball coach. I'm certain he's a sucker if he takes the job. Because the hope here is that Smart is wise enough to weed through the salesmanship from Patterson and do some research on the guy who engineered the least productive era of NBA basketball in Portland.

Patterson likes to take credit for the Trail Blazers "rebuild," but anyone who was there knows better. During a four-year period beginning in 2003, Patterson fostered an unhealthy culture inside the organization, he fired more than 100 employees, he threw what was then the Rose Garden Arena into bankruptcy, cracked down on anyone who crossed him, and plotted from his president's office to also become the team's general manager (2006-07).
Before Patterson, the Blazers reached the NBA playoffs in 21 consecutive seasons. In Patterson's four seasons, Portland never finished better than .500, and the 21-61 record in 2005-06 tied for the worst finish in franchise history.

His draft picks were bad (Martell Webster over Chris Paul, for example). His grandstanding, including the time Patterson announced he couldn't trade Damon Stoudamire for a folding chair, grew tired. But it was the undermining of employees, the fostering of mistrust in the halls of the organization that led to his departure in 2007.

Remember the time Patterson fined Darius Miles $150,000 and publicly scolded the small forward for berating his coach in a film session? I do. So does then-coach Maurice Cheeks. Because that act of support for Cheeks was followed by a back-room deal between Patterson and Miles in which the small forward would receive every penny of the fine back, plus interest. When I informed Cheeks of the arrangement, he said, "I might as well pack my bags."

Smart?

You getting all this?

Smart, 37, has averaged better than 27 victories a season at his current university. He made the 2011 Final Four. A union between a sleeping-giant like Texas and a general like Smart makes complete sense. Right up to the point where you see Patterson lingering in the background, bumbling along.

It ends ugly with Patterson. He gets you before you get him. That's the way he operates. And if Smart is willing to spend the energy and exert a fair amount of attention to managing his athletic director, then by all means, he should accept the job.

But why?

Why leave VCU, where you've already proven you can reach a Final Four? Why leave a university where you're being cast for a bronze statue in exchange for a place who handed the keys to a boob? In Patterson's short time in Texas, he's talked about playing football games in Dubai and the United Arab Emirates. He ran off Mack Brown from the football program like a teenager who didn't know how to break up with his girlfriend.

Patterson has now flushed Rick Barnes, who was scooped up by Tennessee. Barnes revealed this week that Patterson told him after his NCAA Tournament loss that he'd be back for another season, then shifted course, demanding that he fire assistants or be gone himself. Also, that tidbit was leaked, in a move that had familiar fingerprints all over it.

I understand what people see in Patterson. He talks the talk. He pretends to know where the money is buried. He grew up in arenas, learning how to work the room. The surprise is how woeful he is once he gets control of the room.

If Smart takes the job, he should do so only with total autonomy. No other way around it. Because Patterson will eventually get in his way. He can't help it.

Smart is doing his diligence, presumably. I'd suggest a call to Cheeks. Maybe some contact with those who worked under Patterson at ASU and certainly at One Center Court. Maybe talk, too, to Arizona assistant Damon Stoudamire, a guy Patterson pointed to and tried to embarrass by declaring he wasn't worth a folding chair.
I'll bet Stoudamire would never take that job.

Talk about smart.

--- @JohnCanzanoBFT

Canzano is a very good columnist and this was a revealing look at Patterson for those who aren't all that familiar with him. Thanks for providing.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #186 on: April 02, 2015, 10:41:02 AM »
Shaka's a weird cat. I get that. No tellin' what that sumbitch is gonna do or is thinkin'. I thought and still think he woulda been a terrific hire for this university. Not disappointed in the least in Steve. Pretty sure, with time, he's gonna take us to the promised land.
But, it's obvious to me that some of y'all have a myoptic view of this entire program, particularly when compared on a national level. Understand that the last 5 coaches have come from St. Peter's, Sienna, asst. at U of A, asst. at MSU, asst. at MU, and asst. at Duke. None them, thus far, have consistently gotten the job done. This gig is not all seashells and balloons, ai na?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:47:32 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #187 on: April 02, 2015, 10:43:51 AM »
Shaka's a weird cat. I get that. No tellin' what that sumbitch is gonna do or is thinkin'. I thought and still think he woulda been a terrific here for this university. Not disappointed in the least in Steve. Pretty sure, with time, he's gonna take us to the promised land.
But, it's obvious to me that some of y'all have a myoptic view of this entire program, particularly when compared on a national level. Understand that the last 5 coaches have come from St. Peter's, Sienna, asst. at U of A, asst. at MSU, asst. at MU, and asst. at Duke. None them, thus far, have consistently gotten the job done. This gig is not all seashells and balloons, ai na?
What are you complaining about? I honestly don't understand what you're saying you wish we could improve?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #188 on: April 02, 2015, 10:49:16 AM »
Just sayin', this is not the glamour job some folks like to think it is. Will it ever be? We'll see, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #189 on: April 02, 2015, 10:51:29 AM »
Shaka's a weird cat. I get that. No tellin' what that sumbitch is gonna do or is thinkin'. I thought and still think he woulda been a terrific hire for this university. Not disappointed in the least in Steve. Pretty sure, with time, he's gonna take us to the promised land.

I get it.  We aren't a program that's likely going to land a sitting coach from another "Power 5" type school for many of the reasons you stated.

But who is being myopic about this?

We've managed just fine.

• All American
« Reply #190 on: April 02, 2015, 10:58:36 AM »
Just sayin', this is not the glamour job some folks like to think it is. Will it ever be? We'll see, hey?
Can you point to the people who think this is a "glamour job"? I honestly don't see that on here?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #191 on: April 02, 2015, 10:59:51 AM »

I get it.  We aren't a program that's likely going to land a sitting coach from another "Power 5" type school for many of the reasons you stated.

But who is being myopic about this?

We've managed just fine.

Hope it continues.  Yes, even Al didn't come from a Power 5 school.  I wish we could get someone someday in that capacity, but doesn't appear to be in the cards.  We'll have to continue with the Xavier, Butler approach and do just fine.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #192 on: April 02, 2015, 11:07:55 AM »
Can you point to the people who think this is a "glamour job"? I honestly don't see that on here?

Lots of folks. Chico was very disappointed when we hired Buzz, thought we could get a guy like Kevin Stallings from Vandy.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #193 on: April 02, 2015, 12:13:56 PM »
Lots of folks. Chico was very disappointed when we hired Buzz, thought we could get a guy like Kevin Stallings from Vandy.

Hiring process! Search firm! Big Boy School!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #194 on: April 02, 2015, 12:48:29 PM »

The heck do you define as consistently? I mean 5 NCAAs and 3 NITs out of 9 years seems pretty consistent. 5 NCAAs out of 6 years seems pretty consistent.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #195 on: April 02, 2015, 01:11:46 PM »
Hiring process! Search firm! Big Boy School!

Indeed. Lots of folks 'round here were saying it was time for us to make a "big boy" hire after Buzz left.

I like Wojo. Buzz, Crean and KO did their jobs well, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

• All American
« Reply #196 on: April 02, 2015, 01:15:59 PM »
I hear ya.

If you had perfect knowledge of all coaching candidates, you'd choose to get the young unproven guy (and cheaper), for him to make a name for himself at Marquette. I think that's how we've rolled for Crean and Buzz, and I'm fine with the result.

Since we outspend nearly every other program, I refuse to believe we get sticker shock when looking at coaches. You definitely would pay a premium for Rick Barnes versus Wojo. Using that example, I'm not sure I'd expect a much better result from Barnes now then Crean, Buzz or Wojo.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #197 on: April 02, 2015, 02:59:47 PM »

Definition of a Glamor job, you make it a winning program.

Examples ... what was Duke in 1980?  Better than MU?  No, K made it a Glamor job.

Was Bucky a Glamour job before Bo?  Gonzaga before Few.  No, they made them Glamor jobs

If someone passes on MU because it's not a Glamor job, that means they are not that good.  See Crean.  Has he really done better better an IU than MU, other than one season?  Conclusion, IU is exactly the same as MU because Crean is not doing better.

Wanna know the real problem with MU?  It lacks a recruiting base.  Translation.  If the state of Wisconsin was produce high D1 basketball players like, say the state of Indiana does, it would be a much better program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #198 on: April 02, 2015, 03:04:13 PM »

Examples ... what was Duke in 1980?  Better than MU?  No, K made it a Glamor job.

Duke was a better job than Marquette in 1980.  They were national runner up in 1978 and made the Elite 8 in 1980.  Bill Foster left Duke after the 1980 tournament for South Carolina.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #199 on: April 02, 2015, 03:05:46 PM »

Was Bucky a Glamour job before Bo?  Gonzaga before Few.  No, they made them Glamor jobs

If someone passes on MU because it's not a Glamor job, that means they are not that good.  See Crean.  Has he really done better better an IU than MU, other than one season?  Conclusion, IU is exactly the same as MU because Crean is not doing better.

Wanna know the real problem with MU?  It lacks a recruiting base.  Translation.  If the state of Wisconsin was produce high D1 basketball players like, say the state of Indiana does, it would be a much better program.

I don't know about that. Seems to me Wisconsin (state of) has had, and has, some fine players.