Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Goose was right, fools gold  (Read 4727 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: Goose was right, fools gold
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2019, 07:02:50 AM »
I believe you meant IU, pilot. They blew us out and weren’t in the tourney.
No Finish Line

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2019, 12:50:57 PM »
I believe he's referring to the current state of those teams

Yes. The teams were much better when we played them, specifically KU and KSU.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2019, 12:57:53 PM »
Factually incorrect.

Unless, of course, you're only counting the last 4 weeks of this season. As opposed to the entirety of the past 5 years

Plot it. Trajectory is downward.

Run a regression on it.

Did you ever take a stats course or build a heuristic model?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2019, 01:02:18 PM »
20-2 is 20-2.     With wins against multiple ranked teams.    Whether or not the defeated opponents did well in the tournament is nearly irrelevant. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2019, 01:16:35 PM »
20-2 is 20-2.     With wins against multiple ranked teams.    Whether or not the defeated opponents did well in the tournament is nearly irrelevant.

There is plenty of evidence available for Wojo's critics to bash him, tower. This one, as you point out, is lame.

We played a good schedule and we did well against it most of the season. To deny that hurts the critic's credibility.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2019, 01:20:30 PM »
There is plenty of evidence available for Wojo's critics to bash him, tower. This one, as you point out, is lame.

We played a good schedule and we did well against it most of the season. To deny that hurts the critic's credibility.

Yea, but Mike, one cannot isolate Nov-Jan from Feb-Mar. The problem with this season is that Wojo lost the team. How we ended defined the season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2019, 01:55:06 PM »
Yea, but Mike, one cannot isolate Nov-Jan from Feb-Mar. The problem with this season is that Wojo lost the team. How we ended defined the season.

Anybody can prove that Marquette went 20-2 in the 2 months between Thanksgiving and Feb. 26. Anybody can prove that Marquette finished 1-6. Those are facts.

You can't prove that "Wojo lost the team." That is your opinion, Crash, and you're entitled to it.

However ...

The team Wojo "lost" sure seemed to respond to the 4-game skid by showing a lot of fight and character against St. John's and Seton Hall in the third-to-last and second-to-last games of the season. Maybe they did it despite him; that would be an interesting theory.

If your contention is that our horrific performance in the last 21 minutes of the 2018-19 campaign is proof that "Wojo lost the team" this season, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

And none of that has anything to do with claims that our schedule suddenly became shytty because of how a few teams -- some of which were weakened by serious injuries -- did in the NCAA tournament.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2019, 02:02:07 PM »
Aka “I was wrong and got called out, then doubled down and tried to act like a tough guy...but was still wrong.”

If my memory is correct, that UL win was shortly after you were liking and commenting on 18-22 year old college kid’s and Barstool Sports’ Instagram pictures and claiming MU only sends out feel good videos of the team doing charity work to make people feel better that a team that gets blown out on the road flies privately. You are one tight dude. What’s the new Instagram username since you deleted that one?

Yeah, wrong again wades.  Never did delete, as I had nothing to be ashamed of.  I feel the same way now as I did then.  When MU lost to Murray State, I think mubb posted something on wade.  Again, I think it’s to defer the attention of what just happened on the basketball court

I’m willing to bet I give more to charity then most.  I’d invite you to my house to talk about it, but I don’t think there’s bus stops in fox point, wades.  Sorry

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2019, 02:30:47 PM »
Yeah, wrong again wades.  Never did delete, as I had nothing to be ashamed of.  I feel the same way now as I did then.  When MU lost to Murray State, I think mubb posted something on wade.  Again, I think it’s to defer the attention of what just happened on the basketball court

I’m willing to bet I give more to charity then most.  I’d invite you to my house to talk about it, but I don’t think there’s bus stops in fox point, wades.  Sorry

Well duh.  Jon is stronger than me and you're richer than me.  Do you donate to charity to make up for how awful you are at your job, just like Marquette basketball gives its time to the community to make up for how awful they are while living the cushy lifestyle of a D1 basketball program, since you stand by your sentiment shared in this fun thread?

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=56931.msg1055191#msg1055191

Glad to see you brought your IG account back.  There's absolutely no debating you had disabled it when Jesse D was outted.  But glad to see the "fun guy's" account is back up and running.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 02:44:31 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2019, 02:33:14 PM »

Run a regression on it.

Yes, and yes.  As we all know, the starting and end points are the key to the line.  So you wish to start the line four weeks ago, even though most everyone here has been bitching about his tenure....which means you start when his tenure started.

This is goalpost shifting, no one is going to say the last 4 weeks was a positive trend.  No one.  So stipulated to the court, your honor.

But that’s not what has been looked at and discussed here in terms of program trajectory and his tenure.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2019, 03:03:45 PM »

Run a regression on it.

Someone already did...

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=58453.msg1114447#msg1114447

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2019, 03:06:59 PM »

Lost the team...if that were the case we would have been blown out in those 4 straight losses, each game down to the wire.  We would not have beaten St John’s or put it all out in the line for Seton Hall....those guys were sobbing in the locker room, that sounds like a close knit team, not one that is lost.

Where are you getting that he lost the team?  When that happens, kids stop playing for the coach....that didn’t happen in those last 6 games in the reg season and BET.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire