[Today at 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[Today at 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[Today at 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Josh Gasser....what was the MU recruiting deal with this kid?  (Read 27087 times)

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
Re: Josh Gasser....what was the MU recruiting deal with this kid?
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2010, 11:00:01 AM »
Please do give it arest... It is tiresome

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2010, 11:25:34 AM »
This is too funny.  The kid scores some points against Prairie View A&M and we're thinking he's something special and should have been recruited to MU?  There isn't one freshmen on MU's team that I would trade for the kid, and while his skills may fit what UW needs, I don't believe they'd prove to be enough in MU's system and in the BEAST. 

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2010, 11:28:48 AM »
Many of our guys are athletes first, basketball players second? Let's go down the list:
1.Frozena and Otule - neither overly athletic, Otule may become a basketball player.
2.Davante Gardner and Junior Cadougan. Very good basketball players, rap on both is a lack of athleticism.
3.Butler, Fulce, Buycks and Crowder. Classic "glue" guys. Solid basketball players whose ceiling is dictated by a lack of elite level athleticism.
4.E Williams and J Jones. Smooth skills and equally smooth as athletes. Future tbd by their mental toughness.
5.DJO. Freakish skills as a shooter and penetrator and also a freakish athlete.
6.R Smith and V Blue. The only 2 who fit your mold as athletes first, basketball players second. Coincidently, they are both freshmen with lots of time to hone their skills.

I guess you consider 2 out of 13 to constitute many. I don't. And I wouldn't trade Blue or Smith for Gasser because elite athletes are hard to come by.

well stated...Chicos posts about the game of basketball are typically highly ignorant...and if they pertain to MU smothered with an agenda.  

Highly skilled players that lack athleticism are usually found on the lowmajor or NAIA level.

HighD1 collge basketball is a collection of some of the best athletes in the world.  Al called them "cradles" because they were born with it.  There basketball careers have consisted of being the best player becuase they were so infinitely more athletic than anyone else on the court since they first stepped on a court. they have never been forced to increase their skill set becuase of a lack of success they simply increase their skill set by playing all the time.  When they hit college and they are now grouped with kids in the same boat is when that growth of skill set and IQ occurs  becuase they are forced to to survive and meet their goals/dreams.  their ceiling is infinitely higher.  I will take Reggie Smith over this gasser kid sight unseen by the time they are juniors.  
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:31:24 AM by Canadian Dimes »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2010, 11:33:26 AM »
Well, that's sad on your part then.  If you would see where I live, who I have hired on my team, etc, etc you would know how silly your thoughts are. 

"It's not racial.  I totally hire them all the time, guys.  They're good workers.  Yee haw."  Jimmy the Greek would be proud. 

I don't think we'll see performances like yesterday from Gasser regularly.  I was more impressed by Jordan Taylor (an athlete first?)... him having a strong year will help those losers a lot.  He went to my high school and therefore I hope he does well... ideally every Wisconsin game would be a 100-50 loss, with Taylor scoring all 50 on 100% shooting. 

They've got another good opportunity this season... after 1 & 2 there are a good 4 teams that could finish 3rd in the Big Televelve.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2010, 11:37:06 AM »
as an add on to my post.  I could very easily hit the AAu trail and put together a collection of 5 kids that would beat Mu's Freshman in a game right now.  Is that buzz's goal?  to have a bunch of freshman that have hit there peak?  Is his job to find freshman that due to their lack of athleticism had to get by on incredible basketball IQ and skill work  or is part of his recruiting responsibility to find kids that oozed of potential that he felt in a few years could be relly something special.  It is one of the luxuries of having depth.  Reggie smith is not counted on to play 35 minutes becuase of recruitng misses and transfers.  Jamil Jones may never score the points of Jerel becuase he did not have to start as a Freshman.  

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2010, 11:53:32 AM »
I could very easily hit the AAu trail and put together a collection of 5 kids that would beat Mu's Freshman in a game right now.

Yeah, but that's really not fair. Most any time you have a 5-on-4 situation in basketball, the group of 5 will win.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2010, 12:28:23 PM »
  "It's not racial.  I totally hire them all the time, guys.  They're good workers.  Yee haw."  Jimmy the Greek would be proud. 

You are one sick person. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2010, 12:32:56 PM »
At the very least, Chicos should recognize how insulting it is to our players that they are known as "athletes first and basketball players second."  These kids have dedicated their lives to date to making themselves good at the game of basketball.  To imply that they aren't skilled enough and are "just athletes" is silly.

Fair point.  I obviously didn't think about that when I wrote it.  Again, fair point.  My intent was not to say they are "just athletes" but that's clearly how some of you took it.  My point was rather to focus on the players that are not as athletic but need to overcome those shortcomings in other ways.  In other words, certain things don't come as easy to them because they are not as athletically gifted yet they play at a high level because they have mastered other skills.

Again, I can see where people interpreted it that way....my fault.

The racial attacks toward me, on the other hand, very hurtful.  Extremely hurtful.  So totally wrong on all levels but I have to consider the sources who are saying it.  Some people are just very sick.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2010, 12:39:48 PM »

When you started a post on the game yesterday, instead of the focus being on a great comeback by a very young team, you decided to use the word "scary" and imply it would have been terrible and devastating to lose. Is scary or worrisome an accurate description of the game though? Yes. But it is not the only description, and you constantly always have this glass half-empty perspective to everything Marquette does.

But you hit it on the head....nothing I said was incorrect.  It was scary.  Was it the only description?  No, but it was a truthful one.  That was a scary game and I post that (truthfully) and the rain comes down.  Basically what you're saying is if a poster doesn't sugar coat it, put pink unicorns and fluffy clouds around it, you will be attacked.  You will be labeled as a MU hater, a Buzz hater, a racist, etc.  All for telling the truth. 

I've learned a lot about some MU people the past few days.  Cura Personalis

I'm sorry...the game was scary....I wrote it....it was truthful....others wrote fluffy stuff. 

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2010, 01:04:40 PM »
Bucknell was down 6 with 6 minutes to go against Nova 2 days before so anybody that didn't expect a tough game wasn't paying attention.

If we would have lost it would have been sad but not all that unexpected. We have lots of new parts. Guys are still learning how to play together. Buzz is still learning who he can depend on. Playing time and rotations are still be worked out.

Now Duke is scary....they could beat us by 30 if we get that deer in the headlites look in our eyes.

I think this Bucknell game will pay dividends down the road. Its nice to get that first close game out of the way and come out of it with a W.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2010, 01:09:34 PM »
Now Duke is scary....they could beat us by 30 if we get that deer in the headlites look in our eyes.

Nah, too many white guys.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2010, 01:09:48 PM »

well stated...Chicos Canadian Dimes posts about the game of basketball are typically highly ignorant...

I fixed it for you

"Mbao will be an All Big East player by his Senior Year"

"i am almost certain Hood will choose MU"

"Conference realignment is over, MU has nothing to worry about"

"Acker + Cubillan = Looooonnnnnnngggggg Year"

"In a league of stars, we have none"  (2010....apparently Hayward, Butler, DJO, etc didn't count)

"As a former colleg athlete i can tell you the summer before your freshman year can be very tough."
----Care to tell us where you were a former college athlete Robert?

"Please people get over it there is absolutely no way in hell Buzz and company asked him {Roseboro} to leave.  Even if he was the worst plyer in the history of D1 ball he could help the team in areas apart from playinggame minutes.   additonally there is no reason to beleive in 3-4 years he could not have beeen a servicaebale role player." 

And non-basketball quips as well
"this recession will be over by 2009"

I could go on, but the list would never end.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2010, 01:18:37 PM »
Bucknell was down 6 with 6 minutes to go against Nova 2 days before so anybody that didn't expect a tough game wasn't paying attention.

If we would have lost it would have been sad but not all that unexpected. We have lots of new parts. Guys are still learning how to play together. Buzz is still learning who he can depend on. Playing time and rotations are still be worked out.

I think this Bucknell game will pay dividends down the road. Its nice to get that first close game out of the way and come out of it with a W.

Bucknell is a quality team, we agree Mark.  But Bucknell led Nova all of 3:47 seconds the entire game.  The reason this game was scary is that not only were we trailing, we were losing by double digits for a chunk and couldn't get anything going on either end.  MU trailed in this game for most of it....over 70% of the game.  MU led 5.3 minutes of the first half and 5.53 minutes of the second half.

Duke is scary, but they're also #1 in the country so everyone expects that to be a tough game.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2010, 01:19:14 PM »
The racial attacks toward me, on the other hand, very hurtful.  Extremely hurtful.  So totally wrong on all levels but I have to consider the sources who are saying it.  Some people are just very sick.

Quite a few posters got the same impression from your posts. Personally, I said that it sounded racist at first read, but then realized that wasn't your intent...and yet you still took exception to me saying that. I still don't believe that you had any racist intent, but maybe you could take a little of the blame on yourself instead of calling other posters sick and disturbed for misinterpreting what you wrote.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2010, 01:21:06 PM »
But you hit it on the head....nothing I said was incorrect.  It was scary.  Was it the only description?  No, but it was a truthful one.  That was a scary game and I post that (truthfully) and the rain comes down.  Basically what you're saying is if a poster doesn't sugar coat it, put pink unicorns and fluffy clouds around it, you will be attacked.  You will be labeled as a MU hater, a Buzz hater, a racist, etc.  All for telling the truth.  

I've learned a lot about some MU people the past few days.  Cura Personalis

I'm sorry...the game was scary....I wrote it....it was truthful....others wrote fluffy stuff.  

First off, I didn't say if "a poster" doesn't sugar coat I said if "you" don't. I was attempting to point out that your reputation for ALWAYS taking the more negative view impacts how people read and interpret your posts.

You may like to call it "sugar-coating" but I see it as being actually positive about our team, and how they went on a 24-0 run to win. But you only view the negative side of it as though that is the only accurate way to view it....i.e. if you don't show skepticism or doubt you are a fanboy. Fact is, they're were a lot more positives in that game than negative, but you never see them or want to see them.

Oh, and what really was scary about the game? I mean, I was worried and all...but just say we lost...why is that scary? You can say we escaped, or pulled one out...but scary? Its the 2nd game of the season and you are trying to imply a narrative that doesn't exist into a game that was won by freshmen and younger players. That, I would say, is encouraging.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2010, 01:37:01 PM »
I fixed it for you

"Mbao will be an All Big East player by his Senior Year"

"i am almost certain Hood will choose MU"

"Conference realignment is over, MU has nothing to worry about"

"Acker + Cubillan = Looooonnnnnnngggggg Year"

"In a league of stars, we have none"  (2010....apparently Hayward, Butler, DJO, etc didn't count)

"As a former colleg athlete i can tell you the summer before your freshman year can be very tough."
----Care to tell us where you were a former college athlete Robert?

"Please people get over it there is absolutely no way in hell Buzz and company asked him {Roseboro} to leave.  Even if he was the worst plyer in the history of D1 ball he could help the team in areas apart from playinggame minutes.   additonally there is no reason to beleive in 3-4 years he could not have beeen a servicaebale role player." 

And non-basketball quips as well
"this recession will be over by 2009"

I could go on, but the list would never end.

i might take offense to those if i made them,  in the mean time keep offending the rest of the board.  Character revealed.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2010, 01:38:57 PM »
Everyone is tired of this crap. 

Feel free to start another thread on Gasser, without discussing uber-secret agendas and the ulterior motives you think some people have.

feedback