[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Josh Gasser....what was the MU recruiting deal with this kid?  (Read 27079 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Josh Gasser....what was the MU recruiting deal with this kid?
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2010, 11:25:36 PM »

I now believe that you weren't intentionally playing up the racial angle, but it definitely seemed like it to me when I first read your posts.

Well, that's sad on your part then.  If you would see where I live, who I have hired on my team, etc, etc you would know how silly your thoughts are. 

It's obvious that "traditional" was a poor choice of words on my part.  There are some players out there that do not have the athletic gifts of other players and so the only way they can progress in basketball is to become artisans of the game.  They become highly proficient at a certain skill or skills and have to rely on that to excel.  Steve Novak was a good athlete, not a great athlete.  But he was a helluva a basketball player.  He could shoot free throws at a clip most people can't, because he made himself that good at it.  He could shoot 3's better than most people ever could dream of, because he made himself that good.  Don't get me wrong, Novak isn't an athletic stiff, but he's certainly not as good an athlete as many other DI players.  That also doesn't mean they worked any harder than the next guy, but I would say they worked differently.  They honed the skills they needed to in order to excel.  The fundamentals, the angles, the body positioning, anything to get the extra edge.

Just one example of many.  So when I say "traditional", I'm talking about the glue type kids.  The players that might not be the best athlete around but is a helluva a BASKETBALL player because of what he knows and his understanding of the game.  I'd argue Acker was that type of kid last year.  Good little athlete, but a better basketball player.  He couldn't rely on height or athletic ability to get to where he was at.  Sure, his quickness was very good, but it was heady play and his specific skill sets as a basketball player that allowed him to get where he was.  He wasn't out there "out-athleting" people.

It will be interesting to see how Gasser does this year.  Thank you to the 5% of the people that gave it a real answer.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2010, 11:30:19 PM »
Chicos...it honestly would have taken you about 3 seconds of Google searching to come up with the main reason why he is at UW.  All of this could have been avoided had you done that. I will see if you can track the reason down yourself.

Additionally, had Diamond Taylor not decided to start robbing people, UW probably would have "missed" on Gasser too.

Really....google would have told me if MU was recruiting him?  I did look at Google before hand and noticed no offer, but that's all I could find.  That's why I asked the question here.   Besides, I don't give a rip on how he went to UW-madison, I was curious about Marquette and Gasser, not the Badgers and Gasser.  So actually I did follow your advice, but there was nothing out there on MU's interest (real or not) on Gasser.  Then I ask a simple question and we have June Cleavers running in from all corners of the kitchen to defend Beaver when it was just a question.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2010, 11:33:22 PM »
Didn't know calling you out on the obvious was "going racial," Chicos. But so be it. We have spot up shooters (DJO shot 47% from 3 land last year), ballhandlers and flat out defenders (Vander Blue). How are those skills not those of a "pure basketball player"?  So what's the difference between our guys and Bo's? Oh yeah, you guessed it. Their race. You didn't say those words but if that's not it then you tell me the difference. The burden is on you to prove you meant otherwise because you made the statement to start with. I'm now blocking you. Take your garbage elsewhere sir.

We have one spot up shooter.  I wish we had more.

For you to imply anything racial is disgusting on your part.  Absolutely disgusting.  Gasser was a Milwaukee area kid, that's why I asked the question.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2010, 11:37:56 PM »
Honestly, what a crock of sh*t.  Chicos, take your attention whoring elsewhere.  There are zero players in this recruiting class I'd give up over Gasser.  Take your obsession with white players and root for Duke/Wisco.  Between this post and decrying every JUCO recruit, you're showing your true (lack of) colors.  You make me sick.

My obsession for white players?  Are you crapping me?  I mean seriously, are you crapping me Keegan?  You have to be, but it wouldn't be the first time.  I ask a question about a Milwaukee area kid and whether we recruited him and this turns into a racial thing.  This is beyond classic on so many levels. 

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2010, 12:11:24 AM »
Well, that's sad on your part then.  If you would see where I live, who I have hired on my team, etc, etc you would know how silly your thoughts are. 

It's obvious that "traditional" was a poor choice of words on my part.  There are some players out there that do not have the athletic gifts of other players and so the only way they can progress in basketball is to become artisans of the game.  They become highly proficient at a certain skill or skills and have to rely on that to excel.  Steve Novak was a good athlete, not a great athlete.  But he was a helluva a basketball player.  He could shoot free throws at a clip most people can't, because he made himself that good at it.  He could shoot 3's better than most people ever could dream of, because he made himself that good.  Don't get me wrong, Novak isn't an athletic stiff, but he's certainly not as good an athlete as many other DI players.  That also doesn't mean they worked any harder than the next guy, but I would say they worked differently.  They honed the skills they needed to in order to excel.  The fundamentals, the angles, the body positioning, anything to get the extra edge.

So are you implying that Buzz would have passed on recruiting a major recruit like Novak because Steve was one of those "traditional" players you seem to think Buzz has no use for? If Gasser was as skilled a player as Novak was coming out of high school, i have no doubt that Buzz would have chased after Gasser just as hard as anyone currently on the MU roster.

Just one example of many.  So when I say "traditional", I'm talking about the glue type kids.  The players that might not be the best athlete around but is a helluva a BASKETBALL player because of what he knows and his understanding of the game.  I'd argue Acker was that type of kid last year.  Good little athlete, but a better basketball player.  He couldn't rely on height or athletic ability to get to where he was at.  Sure, his quickness was very good, but it was heady play and his specific skill sets as a basketball player that allowed him to get where he was.  He wasn't out there "out-athleting" people.

Why isn't Jimmy Butler not much different than an Acker? He wasn't some major recruit and freak athlete coming out of junior college. Buzz brought Jimmy in to balance out the classes and the kid busted his asss honing his game to exceed expectations and thus make himself into a key player for the program.

Is Joe Fulce not a role player and glue guy?

Is Junior Cadougan going to "out-athlete" people or will he succeed much more by smarts and savvy on the court? Is he not a "traditional" basketball player or does he need a better jumper to be considered one?

As for the rest of the roster, not all of these kids will develop into 20 plus minutes per game players who also need to shoulder the scoring load. That said, no doubt 1, 2, or 3 of them will need to become your socalled glue guys instead that come in when needed and are productive in whatever fashion they can help the team.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2010, 12:18:29 AM »
Gasser.  Then I ask a simple question and we have June Cleavers running in from all corners of the kitchen to defend Beaver when it was just a question.

I trust they all were wearing pearl necklaces.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2010, 12:19:22 AM »
Duderino...fair points.

Thanks

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2010, 12:27:44 AM »
So are you implying that Buzz would have passed on recruiting a major recruit like Novak because Steve was one of those "traditional" players you seem to think Buzz has no use for? If Gasser was as skilled a player as Novak was coming out of high school, i have no doubt that Buzz would have chased after Gasser just as hard as anyone currently on the MU roster.

Why isn't Jimmy Butler not much different than an Acker? He wasn't some major recruit and freak athlete coming out of junior college. Buzz brought Jimmy in to balance out the classes and the kid busted his asss honing his game to exceed expectations and thus make himself into a key player for the program.

Is Joe Fulce not a role player and glue guy?

Is Junior Cadougan going to "out-athlete" people or will he succeed much more by smarts and savvy on the court? Is he not a "traditional" basketball player or does he need a better jumper to be considered one?

As for the rest of the roster, not all of these kids will develop into 20 plus minutes per game players who also need to shoulder the scoring load. That said, no doubt 1, 2, or 3 of them will need to become your socalled glue guys instead that come in when needed and are productive in whatever fashion they can help the team.

+1. Pretty much nailed it.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2010, 07:18:31 AM »
Game...set...match...El Duderino.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2010, 08:40:11 AM »
Really....google would have told me if MU was recruiting him?  I did look at Google before hand and noticed no offer, but that's all I could find.  That's why I asked the question here.   Besides, I don't give a rip on how he went to UW-madison, I was curious about Marquette and Gasser, not the Badgers and Gasser.  So actually I did follow your advice, but there was nothing out there on MU's interest (real or not) on Gasser.  Then I ask a simple question and we have June Cleavers running in from all corners of the kitchen to defend Beaver when it was just a question.

Why UW and why not MU...the answer is pretty much one in the same...But I'll let you try to figure it out.

Did you wonder these same type of things when Diante Garrett and Kwamain Mitchell decided to leave the Milwaukee area, and had moderate success as freshman at their respective schools?  Maybe they weren't "traditional" enough for you?

What about David Singleton and Derrick Wilson? They seem to fit your criteria of "traditional"...although, they still might be a little too close to "athletic" for your liking.

We have 2, maybe more and as mentioned earlier in this thread...Buzz has recruited more, but you must have missed that.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2010, 09:29:38 AM »
I think Gardner and Gasser should show you that you should take the star rating/high school ranking system with a skeptical eye. Jamail Jones a top 100 recruit probably will not play much this year. Some posters here are lamenting the two players MU signed this class, becasue they are not 4 stars. None of us have seen them play. While 4 star rating gives you some indiaction of talent level, we as fans have no idea how they will turn out.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2010, 09:48:04 AM »
Who are some of these many of 'our guys' that are basketball players second? 

I'm still waiting for Chicos response on this one...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2010, 09:51:18 AM »
I think Gardner and Gasser should show you that you should take the star rating/high school ranking system with a skeptical eye. Jamail Jones a top 100 recruit probably will not play much this year. Some posters here are lamenting the two players MU signed this class, becasue they are not 4 stars. None of us have seen them play. While 4 star rating gives you some indiaction of talent level, we as fans have no idea how they will turn out.
I agree with your overall thought, but I think Jamail not playing much has more to do with experienced depth at his position rather than his skill as a player.  Gardner is seeing the floor more due to lack of depth at his position, thus relatively easier for him to get minutes. 

Nitpick over.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2010, 09:52:19 AM »
IIRC, bo gave gasser a 4/5 year offer, walkon as a FR and then go on scholly.  When Vander "listened to his buddy maymon," Bo offered gasser a full ride.

MarkMiller

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
Truthfully, Bo Ryan even got a little luck as it pertains to Gasser. He did not recruit him all that heavily for most of the summer of 2009. Once Diamond Taylor got booted in the fall of 2009, things opened up for Gasser and UW, but it still took some convincing by Ryan to the Gasser family as there were some hard feelings involved.

Gasser took a few unofficial visits to Marquette, but I didn't get the sense there was ever any serious mutual interest.

Josh has developed into an outstanding player and Bo lucked out a bit because had Taylor not gotten into trouble, Gasser would probably be at either Arizona State or Northern Iowa right now.

While Bo lucked out a bit on Gasser, Buzz appears to have lucked out a bit on Gardner.

Let's be honest, most of all recruiting is a crapshoot.  

tower912

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2010, 09:53:52 AM »
I didn't know that Gasser was pigmently challenged.   I just want to know which guard that Chico prefers this guy to.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2010, 09:58:54 AM »
I have no inside info, but it seems that MU had some interest in Gasser.  UW had some interest, and then offered him late when it looked like he wouldn't walk on to UW and said he would take a full ride someplace else.   So, almost everyone may have missed on Gasser.  UW offered a full ride late when he was the best option to fill an open scholarship, and it seemed that Gasser wanted to go to UW.

I don't think we were looking for another guard first, but rather a big first (and we got Gardner) and maybe a guard if we didn't get a big.  I also think that Gasser was looked at as a good shooter, but maybe not a point guard and maybe a step slow to defend the 1 and 2.  But some said that Gasser was quick enough.  

So is he the next Diener type of guy or DJO type of guy, or is he the next Logtermann or Chapman type?  If he projects as a Chapman type of player - great player - but maybe a little slow for the 1/2 in Buzz's system.  I don't think he is the next DJO, from what I've heard.  It will be interesting to see if this is his best game of the year and the next couple of years - or if this is the start of a great 4 year career.  Just think of Amoroso (spelling?).

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2010, 10:05:34 AM »

For you to imply anything racial is disgusting on your part.  Absolutely disgusting.  Gasser was a Milwaukee area kid, that's why I asked the question.

I am not going to comment on any of the racial stuff.  

However, Chicos, the main reason you are getting this backlash (and you should realize this by now) is that your posts constantly have a twinge of negativity to them. When you started a post on the game yesterday, instead of the focus being on a great comeback by a very young team, you decided to use the word "scary" and imply it would have been terrible and devastating to lose. Is scary or worrisome an accurate description of the game though? Yes. But it is not the only description, and you constantly always have this glass half-empty perspective to everything Marquette does.

And again with this thread, instead of deciding to start a topic on a young MU player and how well they played, you got excited about a UW frosh after one game and implied something was wrong at MU for not recruiting this kind of player. It just feels strange the way your perspective is focused, and a lot of people read that very negatively as though you are taking parting shots at MU whenever you can.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2010, 10:06:22 AM »
What on earth does your second paragraph mean?  Please explain exactly what a "traditional" basketball player is.

DJO
Jones
Michael Snaer

Just a few of the many guys Buzz has recruited who I would consider to be excellent spot-up shooters.  I'm sure GOMU1104 or BMA could provide more detail on some of the other players Buzz has went after who were that type of player.

HArrison  or Faust?  please Chicos agenda is so old and tired I implore the moderators to ban him or at least everyone on the board to ignore him. Even after  great win he has an agenda that ruins the tenor of the board.   Gasser may be a great player... i have never seen him...if so kudos to BO.  But i will add playing against and looking like a star against a PV a&M is entirely diffenet than doing the same against high major players...additionally i agree with the others  whom in this year freshman class would you have given up?  I love reggie, love Ox, think Jamil will be very good, Jae is one of our best players.  Sight unseen i have a hard time thinking this Gasser will ultimately be better than any of them.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2010, 10:23:36 AM »
How's that big, white dude from Catholic Memorial doin' who folks wanted Buzz to offer? Man, all the Einsteins on this board wanted Mills instead of Gardner.

Mills isn't from Catholic Memorial, he's from Arrowhead  >:(

How 'bout some respect for the defending state champs?

(Gotta defend my alma mater  ;) )
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2010, 10:29:39 AM »
At the very least, Chicos should recognize how insulting it is to our players that they are known as "athletes first and basketball players second."  These kids have dedicated their lives to date to making themselves good at the game of basketball.  To imply that they aren't skilled enough and are "just athletes" is silly.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2010, 10:34:14 AM »
I hope that was supposed to be in teal.

When I say traditional basketball player I mean just that....a basketball player first.  Many of our guys are athletes first, basketball players second.  Not sure how ANY of you got racial  on this one. 

Many of our guys are athletes first, basketball players second? Let's go down the list:
1.Frozena and Otule - neither overly athletic, Otule may become a basketball player.
2.Davante Gardner and Junior Cadougan. Very good basketball players, rap on both is a lack of athleticism.
3.Butler, Fulce, Buycks and Crowder. Classic "glue" guys. Solid basketball players whose ceiling is dictated by a lack of elite level athleticism.
4.E Williams and J Jones. Smooth skills and equally smooth as athletes. Future tbd by their mental toughness.
5.DJO. Freakish skills as a shooter and penetrator and also a freakish athlete.
6.R Smith and V Blue. The only 2 who fit your mold as athletes first, basketball players second. Coincidently, they are both freshmen with lots of time to hone their skills.

I guess you consider 2 out of 13 to constitute many. I don't. And I wouldn't trade Blue or Smith for Gasser because elite athletes are hard to come by.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2010, 10:35:07 AM »
I am not going to comment on any of the racial stuff.  

However, Chicos, the main reason you are getting this backlash (and you should realize this by now) is that your posts constantly have a twinge of negativity to them. When you started a post on the game yesterday, instead of the focus being on a great comeback by a very young team, you decided to use the word "scary" and imply it would have been terrible and devastating to lose. Is scary or worrisome an accurate description of the game though? Yes. But it is not the only description, and you constantly always have this glass half-empty perspective to everything Marquette does.

And again with this thread, instead of deciding to start a topic on a young MU player and how well they played, you got excited about a UW frosh after one game and implied something was wrong at MU for not recruiting this kind of player. It just feels strange the way your perspective is focused, and a lot of people read that very negatively as though you are taking parting shots at MU whenever you can.

Nice post...but I learned a long time ago..you can't have a rational debate with an irrational individual.  Chicos has his agenda, and M.O. - he's an attention starved short man, who secondary to that...has an issue with Buzz..as Chicos was one of the loudest dissenters to the hire of Buzz Williams...and as a result..Chicos continues to have to eat sh$t.  A theme of his life I'm sure...and self-inflicted, and well deserved, I might add.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2010, 10:37:56 AM »
Nice post...but I learned a long time ago..you can't have a rational debate with an irrational individual.  Chicos has his agenda, and M.O. - he's an attention starved short man, who secondary to that...has an issue with Buzz..as Chicos was one of the loudest dissenters to the hire of Buzz Williams...and as a result..Chicos continues to have to eat sh$t.  A theme of his life I'm sure...and self-inflicted, and well deserved, I might add.

Ners, if I were you, I'd keep quiet because honestly, your constant harping about Chicos makes you look like a loon.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2010, 10:55:03 AM »

Ners, if I were you, I'd keep quiet because honestly, your constant harping about Chicos makes you look like a loon.

Thanks Sultan - I'm comfortable with my lunacy..when it pertains to exposing the poser, fraud and loon Chicos is.

That said, I'll give it a rest.