collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1121691 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #3025 on: April 02, 2020, 08:18:45 PM »
Social distancing within the home with relatives?  Anyone doing this?  New Jersey governor recommending.

I know a few families that are only socializing with each other...kids on distance learning, parents wfh or sah.  Think they're a bunch of idiots but whatever.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3026 on: April 02, 2020, 08:20:13 PM »
come on rock, at face value, yes/maybe.  if you peel away all the possible excuses and with an honest face, you know what was going on here.   you know gosh darn well that she was getting heat. in politics, EVERYTHING is calculated.  her state is one of the harder hit areas. she sits back disallowing "that drug" from being used in her state while people are dying, she's gonna make uncle joe appear astute.

wait...now fox news is cool? 

of course they are going to put the disclaimer in there because it is true.  as i have mentioned in previous posts.  we use off label drugs for many other uses than their original primary intent.  aspirin was originally used for pain relief.  now its used for a blood thinner among many other things.  as drugs are being used, secondary and tertiary uses are discovered.  the drug itself is safe.  now that doesn't mean someone may have an adverse reaction.   

let's be terribly honest here-if you and/or a family member or someone you really care about, has the virus, are you going to sit around and do nothing aside from the routine care they've been giving in the beginning?  if so, better get ready for that "one call" dude or a whole bunch of others are salivating on the side line ready to carpet bomb the country with their "better call saul" cards

i know this is going to cause a strong reaction, but sometimes i get a funny feeling that some don't really want to conquer this thing...too fast...hmmmm  i know, tin foil hat and black helicopters about

always half FULL

It’s gonna cause a strong g reaction because it is an absolutely dumb thing to say.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3027 on: April 02, 2020, 08:22:28 PM »
I know a few families that are only socializing with each other...kids on distance learning, parents wfh or sah.  Think they're a bunch of idiots but whatever.

Maybe I'm misreading, but isn't this exactly what we're all being asked to do?

• All American
« Reply #3028 on: April 02, 2020, 08:26:35 PM »

Yep.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3029 on: April 02, 2020, 08:28:48 PM »
edit: shoothoops,  I sent you another PM.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 08:45:32 PM by rocky_warrior »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3030 on: April 02, 2020, 08:41:55 PM »
come on rock, at face value, yes/maybe.  if you peel away all the possible excuses and with an honest face, you know what was going on here.   you know gosh darn well that she was getting heat. in politics, EVERYTHING is calculated.  her state is one of the harder hit areas. she sits back disallowing "that drug" from being used in her state while people are dying, she's gonna make uncle joe appear astute.

wait...now fox news is cool? 

of course they are going to put the disclaimer in there because it is true.  as i have mentioned in previous posts.  we use off label drugs for many other uses than their original primary intent.  aspirin was originally used for pain relief.  now its used for a blood thinner among many other things.  as drugs are being used, secondary and tertiary uses are discovered.  the drug itself is safe.  now that doesn't mean someone may have an adverse reaction.   

let's be terribly honest here-if you and/or a family member or someone you really care about, has the virus, are you going to sit around and do nothing aside from the routine care they've been giving in the beginning?  if so, better get ready for that "one call" dude or a whole bunch of others are salivating on the side line ready to carpet bomb the country with their "better call saul" cards

i know this is going to cause a strong reaction, but sometimes i get a funny feeling that some don't really want to conquer this thing...too fast...hmmmm  i know, tin foil hat and black helicopters about

always half FULL

Rocket, I 100% agree with you. But that is a TOTALLY different situation than docs writing scripts for themselves for the medication for prophylactic use.

Someone has the disease? Yes, use the drug. No symptoms/positive test? Then no, you shouldn't be using or writing for friends/family to use.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3031 on: April 02, 2020, 08:44:07 PM »
Um.  OK. 
Uh, no.  Pic of my PMs below.
What?  That's some wild speculation.
Who's coming for who?  You've lost it bro.  I've merely pointed out that you are posting redundantly, and you replied like a crazed man.

Huh? I couldn't be more calm and relaxed all day. I believe you are projecting. Maybe go point out all the off topic posters in the Stan thread or perhaps the repeat posts in the recruiting thread after info is posted multiple times. I believe many of my posts are both on topic and not repeated info. You can either keep going or let it go and move on. That's up to you.

You sent me a pm today, and, apparently you freaked out because I hadn't read it yet. All you had to do was ask me to check my pm's as to not take away from the thread.

I don't usually check my pm's but I will moving forward. i am replying to one right now from March 26th so I am catching up. 👍

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 08:55:19 PM by shoothoops »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3032 on: April 02, 2020, 09:28:04 PM »
Talked to my brother in law and his wife in Hong Kong today.  HK is shutting down bars (again) as of Friday.  They are being hit by the 2nd wave.  It's all blamed on ex-Pats and boarding school kids who "escaped" during their quarantine now coming back and re-infecting everyone.  The best thing anyone could have done was ride out the storm in HK.  Now they are only making it worse.  Schools have yet to re-open.  Some businesses re-opened for a week and then shut back down.  Restaurants are open.

Other notes:

- They think China is by and large very accurately reporting
- My brother-in-law sees numbers every day from China for his job (American company, activity coming back online) 
- China wouldn’t allow his places to reopen, lift travel restrictions, etc. if it was still alive
- China is obsessed with its world reputation and wouldn’t play games

Bottomline:

You have to stay in your town thru thick and thin (ppl who are riding this out in FLA who will come back to the Midwest are problematic)

They think we’re screwed bc what really kills this thing is everyone sheltering in place for 2 weeks together   
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 09:31:20 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3033 on: April 02, 2020, 09:38:46 PM »

No, multiple families are hanging out together

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #3034 on: April 02, 2020, 09:41:15 PM »
This is a slightly old link (at least in terms of how rapidly this is evolving) but with the discussion of vaccines I recalled hearing this woman, the first live volunteer to test one of the new vaccines, give an interview.

I'm curious if any of the medical professionals on the board know, why is there a 14-month trial period?  Is there something special about that amount of time?

https://www.livescience.com/first-person-coronavirus-vaccine-clinical-trial.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/19/opinion/why-will-coronavirus-vaccine-take-so-long/%3foutputType=amp
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3035 on: April 02, 2020, 09:50:20 PM »

From what I've seen and read this is permissible in a way. it's called "expanding your isolation circle." Basically, you 100% self-isolate with your family for 2 weeks. When that 2 weeks is up, and no one in your house is demonstrating symptoms, then you can be "self-isolate" with your family and another small group who has also been self-isolating by themselves for 2 weeks.

Sounds like you're saying people are intermingling without that initial isolation which is a no-no.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3036 on: April 02, 2020, 09:52:14 PM »
Yeah, that's the exact impression I got from our Prez up until a few days ago!

hmmm, interesting...careful where ya wear that MAGA hat  ;) 

another drug showing promise, but full disclosure-i bought gilead about 2 years ago, not knowing the role they may play here.  i'm actually more guardedly optimistic/pessimistic about remdesivir than the hydroxychlorquine + zpack

https://www.foxnews.com/science/family-of-34-year-old-coronavirus-patient-on-life-support-makes-plea-for-remdesivir
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 09:59:20 PM by rocket surgeon »
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3037 on: April 02, 2020, 09:58:28 PM »
Rocket, I 100% agree with you. But that is a TOTALLY different situation than docs writing scripts for themselves for the medication for prophylactic use.

Someone has the disease? Yes, use the drug. No symptoms/positive test? Then no, you shouldn't be using or writing for friends/family to use.

i think we are in agreement here as well.  i was using the fact that docs were taking the drug themselves and prescribing for friends and family as a testament to their belief that it works, not whether it was right or wrong.  but it is unethical, so therefore wrong.

do i blame a doc fighting this thing on the front line and self-medicating?  i have to say no. because if it is keeping them relevant and healthy to continue to work-win-win. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3038 on: April 02, 2020, 09:59:16 PM »
  hmmm, interesting...careful where ya wear that MAGA hat  ;) 

another drug showing promise, but full disclosure-i bought gilead about 2 years ago, not knowing the role they may play here.  i'm actually more guardedly optimistic/pessimistic about remdesivir than the hydroxychlorquine + zpack

I'm more optimistic about remdesivir. I can give some biochemical logic for why it would work. There isn't a rational reason why hydroxychloroquine + Zpack would work. Doesn't mean it won't, lots of things work without us being able to explain it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3039 on: April 02, 2020, 10:00:48 PM »
I'm more optimistic about remdesivir. I can give some biochemical logic for why it would work. There isn't a rational reason why hydroxychloroquine + Zpack would work. Doesn't mean it won't, lots of things work without us being able to explain it.

i hope you're right forget!!  as i said, i invested in gilead back when it was in mid $50's...baby needs new shoes!!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3040 on: April 02, 2020, 11:20:04 PM »

I misunderstood, thanks for expanding.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3042 on: April 03, 2020, 01:05:49 AM »
From what I've seen and read this is permissible in a way. it's called "expanding your isolation circle." Basically, you 100% self-isolate with your family for 2 weeks. When that 2 weeks is up, and no one in your house is demonstrating symptoms, then you can be "self-isolate" with your family and another small group who has also been self-isolating by themselves for 2 weeks.

Sounds like you're saying people are intermingling without that initial isolation which is a no-no.

Honestly don't know.  It was until the weather got nicer and you started seeing things.  Could have given it the 2 weeks and said F es.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3043 on: April 03, 2020, 06:15:00 AM »

• All American
« Reply #3044 on: April 03, 2020, 07:20:07 AM »

What I have heard repeatedly is that you should only hang out with the people you live with. Because its doubtful that your family completely self isolates. Someone goes to the store for instance.

• All American
« Reply #3045 on: April 03, 2020, 07:34:16 AM »
This is what an administration downplaying the significance of this leads to.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/04/02/us-exports-masks-ppe-china-surged-early-phase-coronavirus/5109747002/

“ The White House and congressional intelligence committees were briefed on the scope and threat of the coronavirus in January and February, but President Donald Trump has not stopped exports of key medical equipment – a move taken by at least 54 other countries so far.”

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3046 on: April 03, 2020, 07:40:29 AM »
The speed combined with the breadth of this crisis is one that the world has never seen. 

Even with some latitude for that, we’ve been late to everything related to the health crisis, including things that would seem relatively simple/easy.  We are still on the elementary part (stay home and check the spread).  I just don’t see how we succeed at the sophisticated at this point (blood tests, clearing people, contact tracing on relapse spread, etc).

• All American
« Reply #3047 on: April 03, 2020, 07:45:22 AM »
Right. In retrospect we should have locked everything down three weeks ago. Everywhere. Through the end of April.

That would have seemed like an overreaction but undoubtedly would have been the right thing to do.

The fact that some states are still refusing to do this is incredible.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3048 on: April 03, 2020, 07:52:37 AM »
Right. In retrospect we should have locked everything down three weeks ago. Everywhere. Through the end of April.

That would have seemed like an overreaction but undoubtedly would have been the right thing to do.

The fact that some states are still refusing to do this is incredible.

I saw a great quote from one of the guys from the WHO and im paraphrasing - everything done in advance of a pandemic seems like an over-reaction, but every action in hindsight seems to be too little. 

He was one of the Ebola leaders and was encouraging people just to act and worry about the 'chatter' later.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3049 on: April 03, 2020, 08:24:48 AM »
This is what an administration downplaying the significance of this leads to.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/04/02/us-exports-masks-ppe-china-surged-early-phase-coronavirus/5109747002/

“ The White House and congressional intelligence committees were briefed on the scope and threat of the coronavirus in January and February, but President Donald Trump has not stopped exports of key medical equipment – a move taken by at least 54 other countries so far.”

“I don’t take responsibility at all.”

That is the key to the entire response.