[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Game Day Experience???  (Read 25546 times)

sfmu22

• Walk-On
Re: Game Day Experience???
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2015, 02:21:01 AM »
Most of the giveaways are gone because research done by the athletic dept. and the grad school 2 or 3 years ago show a staggeringly low amount of people care about them at all when it comes to an incentive to attend. Something like 1 or 2 percent. So they realized it was a waste of money - or at least an avenue in which a lot of money could be saved. Probably the right decision for our program.

I believe the reason the experience is down a bit is mostly because the younger generation is not what it used to be. It is an epidemic that spans across the college sports landscape. They don't come as much and when they do they just aren't into it. Too many cool kids that always think they have something better to do. It's sad but in this day and age people don't feel they need the construct of large live events to build their social systems. 10 years ago the student section was filled with kids making signs, doing creative things. People aren't into the games anymore for some reason. Sorry for ranting.

I can see this somewhat making sense, but is there any way to check the games that were played during the promotion.  If we're playing Notre Dame and they give away a T-shirt, people are going to the game even without the shirt.  I've only been to one game since graduation (amigos class) but if the experience isn't as good (new league/down team) I would think with all this fat cash they're getting from TV they would use some of it to bolster the product.  You can't control how a top recruit turns out, but you can give out a shirt instead of a magnet.

Could be way off base, sorry for hella run on sentences.

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2015, 08:22:10 AM »
Most of the giveaways are gone because research done by the athletic dept. and the grad school 2 or 3 years ago show a staggeringly low amount of people care about them at all when it comes to an incentive to attend. Something like 1 or 2 percent. So they realized it was a waste of money - or at least an avenue in which a lot of money could be saved. Probably the right decision for our program.

I believe the reason the experience is down a bit is mostly because the younger generation is not what it used to be. It is an epidemic that spans across the college sports landscape. They don't come as much and when they do they just aren't into it. Too many cool kids that always think they have something better to do. It's sad but in this day and age people don't feel they need the construct of large live events to build their social systems. 10 years ago the student section was filled with kids making signs, doing creative things. People aren't into the games anymore for some reason. Sorry for ranting.

You must work, or previously worked, in the MU Athj. Dept.? If you answer "yes," then the info may be self serving. But I appreciate what you have shared, just as what I did (now about 5 years old from a Nelligan employee).

I would have to look at their research survey, how the question(s?) were worded, and understand what the Objectives of the Athl Dept were for giveaway promotions: there could be several such as building walk-uo sales or retaining Season Ticket holders (how has that gone over the past three seasons) or others? Also, from experience, in research on promotions, people tend to downplay that they can be swayed by promotions, and again the Objectives are are needed evaluate the survey responses.

Don't mean to belabor this, the point that I was trying to make: If you have a problem, ask the source - don't just complain about it on a message board. That is akin to whining about government  actions without voting or contacting your elected representatives. Especially if you are a season ticket holder and have an opinion. I am sure the New AD would be interested, especially if season tickets or ticket sales in general are down.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2015, 08:26:32 AM »
That's actually a reason why Marquette would be behind the Admirals: The hockey needs all the help they can get to draw a crowd, while Marquette doesn't.

Plus, the Admirals have to fit in 40 something games a season.
FS1 and CBSSN know their time windows in summer. So, the night games are giving to the Admirals because Marquette knows it won't be a night game on some dates.

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2015, 08:38:23 AM »
Win and the place will be packed and by definition energized. Play fun, exciting team basketball and the place will be jumping.

Regarding the discussion about "give aways"/incentives to fill the place, it is akin to the restaurant that offers free desserts. It always makes one wonder how bad the food must be.

connie

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2015, 09:20:35 AM »

The problem with relying upon this study is that the quality of the team is dramatically different than it was 2 and 3 years ago.  Frankly, when we are slugging it out with Louisville year after year  I can easily forget the promotions.  When we are losing to Nebraska Omaha I need something to justify (more accurately "divert") my time and attention.  And deficiencies like those all have cited that I used to not notice or care about become far more evident.

Part of my complaint is that the things they do are getting stale.  There is no novelty to the kiss cam or the dance cam.  They have pretty much run their course.  I don't even want to get into the cartoon appliance race.  I understand these things bring in some money and I am all for selling out as much as we can, but we have lost a lot of fun things (like the gatling gun, UCONN, CINCY, W.Virg and Huggy), and seem to have little to replace that but some blow up dice.  

My hope is that the team turns things around to where we were when the study was done and I can go back to not really noticing (or caring) about promotions.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2015, 11:43:04 AM »
 I don't even want to get into the cartoon appliance race.

If cheering for Walty Washer doesn't fire you up; you're hopeless.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2015, 11:59:39 AM »
Without looking for research to back up this claim, I would guess that many companies view it as a waste of resources to sponsor a timeout "event" because when that buzzer sounds and the teams huddle up, many, many fans simply pull out their phones to check ESPN.com, Facebook, Trivia Crack, etc. Fans no longer need to be entertained during downtime in ball games. They supply their own entertainment.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2015, 12:04:08 PM »
Without looking for research to back up this claim, I would guess that many companies view it as a waste of resources to sponsor a timeout "event" because when that buzzer sounds and the teams huddle up, many, many fans simply pull out their phones to check ESPN.com, Facebook, Trivia Crack, etc. Fans no longer need to be entertained during downtime in ball games. They supply their own entertainment.

But I still prefer my Marquette clothing to look like a NASCAR uniform.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2015, 12:05:23 PM »
Win and the place will be packed and by definition energized. Play fun, exciting team basketball and the place will be jumping.

Regarding the discussion about "give aways"/incentives to fill the place, it is akin to the restaurant that offers free desserts. It always makes one wonder how bad the food must be.

I tend to agree. Doesn't say much for your sport if you have to bombard spectators with diversions. MLB is guilty of this. Go to a new stadium and there are dozens of things to do....other than watch the ballgame.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2015, 01:26:04 PM »
It seems that the Brewers bobblehead Sundays draws a lot of people that I work with but I agree that it wouldn't influence my decision to go even if I didn't have season tickets.

I personally like the 8:00 start times as we don't have to rush home after work in order to make it to a game.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2015, 04:38:55 PM »
I don't get to many college hoops games. For those that do, what's the scene like at other arenas?

I would imagine that Kentucky and Kansas are pretty special. Duke too.

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2015, 05:52:28 PM »

Doo

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2015, 08:19:41 PM »
Went to this weekends game at X and got one of the most unusual game giveaways I've ever seen.  d'Artagnan and the Blue Blob salt & pepper shakers.  Both interesting and unique...

Xavier also has their cheerleaders passing out halftime stat sheets in the lobby which is a nice touch.

Neither cost the school a thing as both have / had corporate sponsors.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2015, 11:14:00 PM »
Did anyone see that syndicated StadiumTV (or something along those lines) scoreboard clips before the game?  They were awful.  I hope they didn't purchase that as filler.

Also I can't believe they don't have trading cards this year. CPI has done those longer than I remember.

The game day experience is still better than a lot of schools (Notre Dame), but it is down from previous years. I think it started to fall off when Craig Pintens left. Marketing genius.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2015, 06:59:13 AM »
Went to this weekends game at X and got one of the most unusual game giveaways I've ever seen.  d'Artagnan and the Blue Blob salt & pepper shakers.  Both interesting and unique...

Xavier also has their cheerleaders passing out halftime stat sheets in the lobby which is a nice touch.

Neither cost the school a thing as both have / had corporate sponsors.

Now that is a giveaway.  Something more than decoration.

MU11W

• Walk-On
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2015, 08:53:16 AM »
Did anyone see that syndicated StadiumTV (or something along those lines) scoreboard clips before the game?  They were awful.  I hope they didn't purchase that as filler.

Also I can't believe they don't have trading cards this year. CPI has done those longer than I remember.

The game day experience is still better than a lot of schools (Notre Dame), but it is down from previous years. I think it started to fall off when Craig Pintens Creighton Macy left. Marketing genius.

Fixed that for you

GOO

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2015, 09:23:51 AM »
I think some are missing that the off the court game day experience stuff is not directed at the die hard basketball fans who populate this board.  It is about producing a product that brings in others and for those people who are not die hard MU basketball fans, still gives them a good experience they want to come back for... and pay money to see/experience. 

in other words, make it an event that is fun and people want to come back to, even if the on court games are only part of the draw.

i don't need giveaways, but the actual entertainment/events/fun besides what is on the court has become stale, and has gone from one of the better experiences to a lesser experience. This is happening at the same time that the team is down and the home games are not what they used to be.

I think the Admirals do a great job at it.  Most of those fans are not there for the hockey, but for the experience and fun. 

In the end it is about selling tickets for the die hards, but also for the marginal people that can be drawn in... I know members of my family and kids would not be very entertained and would not want to go as often, if not for some of the stuff that they still do during time outs (including the kiss cam, etc). 

feedback