Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Masks at Fiserv Forum  (Read 27141 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Masks at Fiserv Forum
« Reply #175 on: December 30, 2021, 04:55:23 PM »

Believe it, dude, hey?

I called the hospital and nurse. No such situation was found to be true.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #176 on: December 30, 2021, 05:07:09 PM »
For what it’s worth, the hospital I work at, has 5 ICU nurses out with it. We are usually in the top 6 of COVID hospitalizations in Wisco. Its not our policy to have those people work through it. And even if they did, they would just be working with COVID patients, full circle or something.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #177 on: December 30, 2021, 05:13:47 PM »
This could be a “desperate times call for desperate measures” situation at many hospitals.  Kind of like in wartime.  When help isn’t coming you do what you have to do.  I would suggest people talk to the doctors/nurse managers/people they trust in hospital administration to get their opinion on the reasoning behind such decisions before they pass judgement. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 05:15:26 PM by Shooter McGavin »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #178 on: December 30, 2021, 05:40:40 PM »
This could be a “desperate times call for desperate measures” situation at many hospitals.  Kind of like in wartime.  When help isn’t coming you do what you have to do.  I would suggest people talk to the doctors/nurse managers/people they trust in hospital administration to get their opinion on the reasoning behind such decisions before they pass judgement.

Easy to say for the nurses and hourly staff.

I wonder what the hospital admins do when they have a fever.

This country is so screwed up.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #179 on: December 30, 2021, 06:07:41 PM »
I'm going to be the guy that munches on popcorn all game to avoid having the mask over my face.

How very kind and thoughtful.

Cura personalis....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #180 on: December 30, 2021, 06:11:46 PM »
Again, read what I wrote.  I stated if you are going to the game with the belief that your vaccinations and a cloth mask will protect you from omicron, that is irrational.  If you feel comfortable going knowing you are at risk of contracting the virus then by all means go.

If a person thinks a cloth mask will completely protect them from omicron, you are correct - that is irrational.

But it is completely rational to believe that it will substantially decrease the risk oof getting omicron, especially if you and those around you are wearing their masks properly.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #181 on: December 30, 2021, 06:12:41 PM »
I know, but the awful truth is that it comes at the expense of those who are actually responsible. I visited a friend—vaccinated and compliant—going through cancer treatment at a world-famous hospital, and he couldn’t get a room because of COVID patients. He had a makeshift area in the PICU (which is not even designed for what he has). While you can’t turn people away, you can certainly de-prioritize their care if they don’t prioritize their own health in such basic ways.
My wife is a MD. I’m calling your story BS. Name the hospital.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #182 on: December 30, 2021, 06:18:03 PM »
Easy to say for the nurses and hourly staff.

I wonder what the hospital admins do when they have a fever.

This country is so screwed up.

Oh don’t leave out the doctors.  They are right there with the nurses and other hourly staff.  Only the the non-clinical higher ups are spared. 

Helping others is not screwed up. Hospitals in many areas are full to the brim.  Staffing is low.  Desperate times. 

Viper

• All American
« Reply #183 on: December 30, 2021, 06:21:52 PM »

The omicron variant has hardly been here.  Let's see what happens in the coming weeks.

I am hardly calling for a shut down of society, but taking reasonable precautions like mask wearing, makes a lot of sense to me.
FBM, I’m antimask mandate. 100%. My MD wife is antimask mandate. 100%. Could you please explain how wearing a mask is effective at preventing, or slowing the transmission of covid? Thx.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #184 on: December 30, 2021, 06:24:38 PM »
This late and STILL in before the lock.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #185 on: December 30, 2021, 06:36:13 PM »

If a person thinks a cloth mask will completely protect them from omicron, you are correct - that is irrational.

But it is completely rational to believe that it will substantially decrease the risk oof getting omicron, especially if you and those around you are wearing their masks properly.

Well that's an important question and I've read differing opinions from epidemologists.  It certainly "helps" to a degree but there are variables in play.  It's better than not wearing one but if you are at a game cheering, screaming, sweating, and taking your cloth mask on and off while you're a foot or less away from other people? 

I have no problem with the rule and think it’s a minor inconvenience.  But I have a hard believing the protection level you get right now with a cloth mask, from this variant, in that setting, isn't minimal.  Many experts and countries insist the N95 should be on the table.  Germany I think is going that route. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #186 on: December 30, 2021, 06:37:01 PM »

Believe it, dude, hey?
Lay off the gas, hey?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #187 on: December 30, 2021, 06:43:48 PM »
I read what you wrote when you said “If you are afraid of getting Covid/omicron, regardless of masks or your vaccination status, it’s not rational to go to a basketball game with 18 K people.”

I’m just wondering how you personally feel about these risks.

I'm not particularly concerned personally Blue so I would go to the MU games.  I'm lucky to almost never get sick and Im relatively young.   I've been sick for more than a day or two twice in my entire life.  My issue is anxiety.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #188 on: December 30, 2021, 06:48:08 PM »
FBM, I’m antimask mandate. 100%. My MD wife is antimask mandate. 100%. Could you please explain how wearing a mask is effective at preventing, or slowing the transmission of covid? Thx.

Community mask wearing substantially reduces transmission of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) in 2 ways. First, masks prevent infected persons from exposing others to SARS-CoV-2 by blocking exhalation of virus-containing droplets into the air (termed source control). This aspect of mask wearing is especially important because it is estimated that at least 50% or more of transmissions are from persons who never develop symptoms or those who are in the presymptomatic phase of COVID-19 illness. In recent laboratory experiments, multilayer cloth masks were more effective than single-layer masks, blocking as much as 50% to 70% of exhaled small droplets and particles.2,3 In some cases, cloth masks have performed similar to surgical or procedure masks for source control. Second, masks protect uninfected wearers. Masks form a barrier to large respiratory droplets that could land on exposed mucous membranes of the eye, nose, and mouth. Masks can also partially filter out small droplets and particles from inhaled air. Multiple layers of fabric and fabrics with higher thread counts improve filtration. However, the observed effectiveness of cloth masks to protect the wearer is lower than their effectiveness for source control, and the filtration capacity of cloth masks can be highly dependent on design, fit, and materials used. Standards for cloth masks are needed to help consumers select marketed products.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536

Could you tell us about the peer-reviewed and published studies your MD wife has conducted to reach her contrary conclusions?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #189 on: December 30, 2021, 06:52:06 PM »

He doesn't have to, there are dozens of studies that prove it.

Being a medical professional certainly doesn't exempt your wife from being a bonehead along with the dental dudes around here.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #190 on: December 30, 2021, 07:08:40 PM »

It’s a combination of things. I would like to believe the reports that even getting the virus will likely result in no symptoms, mild symptoms, or maybe a couple of days of discomfort for an otherwise healthy, vaccinated and boosted individual.  And that wearing a good fitting mask, either an N95 or a cloth mask with a filter, will reduce the risk of infection, especially if you can avoid close, face to face contact with too many people.

It comes down to how much we’re willing to let this thing completely keep us from doing things we enjoy.

The way people drive these days I’m almost as concerned about getting seriously injured or killed by someone street racing or running a red light as I am about getting seriously sick from COVID.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #191 on: December 30, 2021, 07:30:04 PM »

Believe it, dude, hey?

Appeals to “believe it” rely on credibility.

How much credibility on this subject do you suppose you’ve earned over the last couple years?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #192 on: December 30, 2021, 07:34:55 PM »
Appeals to “believe it” rely on credibility.

How much credibility on this subject do you suppose you’ve earned over the last couple years?
Up there with 'Period. '    Both have completely altered my world view.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #193 on: December 30, 2021, 07:45:28 PM »
I'm not particularly concerned personally Blue so I would go to the MU games.  I'm lucky to almost never get sick and Im relatively young.   I've been sick for more than a day or two twice in my entire life.  My issue is anxiety.

Shockin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #194 on: December 30, 2021, 08:08:35 PM »
I'm going to be the guy that munches on popcorn all game to avoid having the mask over my face.  Or are they banning food and drink from the seating bowl now?

So you're that big of a tool to put others at risk? Get off your high horse loser and join us in society trying to end a global pandemic.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #195 on: December 30, 2021, 08:22:44 PM »
He doesn't have to, there are dozens of studies that prove it.

Being a medical professional certainly doesn't exempt your wife from being a bonehead along with the dental dudes around here.
I mean someone has to graduate last from medical school.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 08:28:53 PM by MUeng »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #196 on: December 30, 2021, 08:25:05 PM »

Community mask wearing substantially reduces transmission of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) in 2 ways. First, masks prevent infected persons from exposing others to SARS-CoV-2 by blocking exhalation of virus-containing droplets into the air (termed source control). This aspect of mask wearing is especially important because it is estimated that at least 50% or more of transmissions are from persons who never develop symptoms or those who are in the presymptomatic phase of COVID-19 illness. In recent laboratory experiments, multilayer cloth masks were more effective than single-layer masks, blocking as much as 50% to 70% of exhaled small droplets and particles.2,3 In some cases, cloth masks have performed similar to surgical or procedure masks for source control. Second, masks protect uninfected wearers. Masks form a barrier to large respiratory droplets that could land on exposed mucous membranes of the eye, nose, and mouth. Masks can also partially filter out small droplets and particles from inhaled air. Multiple layers of fabric and fabrics with higher thread counts improve filtration. However, the observed effectiveness of cloth masks to protect the wearer is lower than their effectiveness for source control, and the filtration capacity of cloth masks can be highly dependent on design, fit, and materials used. Standards for cloth masks are needed to help consumers select marketed products.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536

Could you tell us about the peer-reviewed and published studies your MD wife has conducted to reach her contrary conclusions?

Yep.

Lots of people ask for studies that show wearing a mask makes a difference. You provide one and ask for any peer-reviewed studies that contradict it and...crickets....

Shocking.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #197 on: December 30, 2021, 08:51:22 PM »
No.  It was various places and States although four were from one establishment.

From data through this December, 1.37% of fully vaccinated people (2 or 3 shots per their definition) had a breakthrough case.  Yet, you know 12 of them? Are you the superspreader?

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/breakthrough-covid-19-infections-deaths-rose-delta-outpaced/story?id=81822930

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #198 on: December 30, 2021, 08:56:01 PM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #199 on: December 30, 2021, 08:58:27 PM »

Yep.

Lots of people ask for studies that show wearing a mask makes a difference. You provide one and ask for any peer-reviewed studies that contradict it and...crickets....

Shocking.

Yes but Viper’s wife who is a doctor doesn’t believe in masks. And really that’s more important than any sort of study with its “data” and such…
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow