[Today at 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[Today at 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[Today at 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What idiot(s) at MU are on board with a Cuonzo hiring?  (Read 34265 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: What idiot(s) at MU are on board with a Cuonzo hiring?
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2020, 09:35:54 PM »
Nice.  Wasn't trying to be critical or anything, just genuinely curious.  It's amazing how many he has that are right in the middle of normal residential neighborhoods.  It's also funny that he is pretty much the sole creditor in the prairie style, and all most people know him for is the Guggenheim and Falling Water, neither of which are prairie.  Haven't been to Taliesin West yet, but its on the bucket list.  I also don't feel at all bad about taking this thread off topic, because it's a pretty stupid and pointless thread anyways.

Yeah it's interesting to me talking to other people about him. Because where I'm from you can't go more than a block without seeing his houses so I didn't learn about falling water or the Guggenheim till way later. Knew him for unity temple and his home/studio.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2020, 09:37:41 PM »
You want to talk architects?  Let's talk Frederick Olmsted!  Central Park & Prospect Park, and here in MKE Lake Park, Washington Park and of course the GOAT...the south side's Humboldt Park - adjacent to Bay View HS, home of (JUCO!!!!) Dwight Buycks.

No one can touch Olmsted. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2020, 09:44:04 PM »
You want to talk architects?  Let's talk Frederick Olmsted!  Central Park & Prospect Park, and here in MKE Lake Park, Washington Park and of course the GOAT...the south side's Humboldt Park - adjacent to Bay View HS, home of (JUCO!!!!) Dwight Buycks.

Olmsted did truly incredible work with parks. The whole boulevard system connecting the major parks in Chicago was his project for the world fair. Didn't know he designed MKE's humboldt park as well.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2020, 09:44:50 PM »

Landscape Architect is not the same as an Architect.  FLW will also always get homerism in this state.  Not my all-time fav, but can make a strong case for greatest American. 

It's all subjective though, Olmsted certainly has an incredible legacy that few can touch.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2020, 09:53:22 PM »
Thanks, gentlemen. Your interesting discussion on architects might have actually SAVED this thread, one that should have stayed buried in 2014.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2020, 09:56:29 PM »
Landscape Architect is not the same as an Architect.  FLW will also always get homerism in this state.  Not my all-time fav, but can make a strong case for greatest American. 

It's all subjective though, Olmsted certainly has an incredible legacy that few can touch.

The architect of the Matrix doesn't get enough credit.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2020, 10:38:55 PM »
FLW only drafts the easy pastiche.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2020, 11:59:20 PM »
It's one thing to lose to SC, but to be manhandled by them is another.  But go figure.....Frank Wright is a great coach.  If Wojo had lost by less than 10 I'd give him some credit.  Of course, I can't and won't have to because Wojo doesn't know how to create a defensive minded system that can win multiple tourney games.   You guys, my following of detractors, cannot seem to process this.  Instead your rebuttal is:  Buttttt the stats say Wojo is better now......   Yes, he's average, up from atrocious.  All you have to do is watch any game and see that the rotations, help, cutting off of passing lanes aren't run in a crisp manner as a unit.  Never have been, never will.  A good coach has his system implemented after he gets his guys into the program.  Wojo has had that time, but never has developed a system.  It's going to take a lot of luck to win multiple tourney games. 

I wanted Wojo to succeed but he just doesn't have the intellect to coach great Xs and Os.

Oh for fuk’s sake...the game was a two possession game with 7 minutes to play.  It was a one point game with under 11 minutes to play...are you suggesting Wojo was lucky the first 75% of the game or Martin was just an idiot?  Why not blow us out from the start?  Give it a rest.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2020, 06:33:11 AM »
There are quite a few Wright Houses in Arizona. Taliesin West, of course, but also the Biltmore Hotel, where White Christmas was written. There is one called the Pieper House (given to Anthony Pieper on his quinceanera).

🏀

• All American
« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2020, 08:56:42 AM »
Anyone want to get into it about Urban Planners?

The L'Enfant Plan is overrated.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #135 on: January 07, 2020, 09:01:19 AM »
I know two people who own FLW homes.  They are drafty, leak and laid out poorly given the wants and desires of a modern family.  But I guess they look nice.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #136 on: January 07, 2020, 09:11:53 AM »

As far as I'm concerned when it comes to Urban Planners; there's Haussmann, and then the rest.  No one will ever come close to touching him either, because no one will ever get full control and unlimited money the way he did.  Paris is amazing though.

Agree about the L'Enfant Plan.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #137 on: January 07, 2020, 09:18:28 AM »
I know two people who own FLW homes.  They are drafty, leak and laid out poorly given the wants and desires of a modern family.  But I guess they look nice.

My best friend since childhood grew up in one. It wasn't too drafty or anything. But the historic society made it a huge pain for them to do any updates. I don't like how dark it was.

What's crazy is seeing his earliest works around where I live. They're wood siding and look almost Victorian.
Maigh Eo for Sam

🏀

• All American
« Reply #138 on: January 07, 2020, 09:25:40 AM »
As far as I'm concerned when it comes to Urban Planners; there's Haussmann, and then the rest.  No one will ever come close to touching him either, because no one will ever get full control and unlimited money the way he did.  Paris is amazing though.

Agree about the L'Enfant Plan.

Couldn't agree more. I have a soft spot for Burnham, but that's going to happen.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #139 on: January 07, 2020, 09:35:28 AM »
Couldn't agree more. I have a soft spot for Burnham, but that's going to happen.

He's the best of both worlds! Odd question, but did Burnham design houses as well? I can think of buildings around mke and Chicago of his but don't recall ever hearing him connected to houses
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2020, 09:56:59 AM »

Here is an interesting tidbit on the early plan for DC. 
http://www.boundarystones.org/

🏀

• All American
« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2020, 11:53:35 AM »

I checked out a Boundary Stone in DC a couple years ago, very, very cool.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #142 on: January 07, 2020, 12:13:11 PM »
I checked out a Boundary Stone in DC a couple years ago, very, very cool.

What I didn't know is DC once encompassed Alexandria and Arlington and it was given back to Virginia. 

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2020, 12:42:02 PM »
It's rumored that M. M. O'Shaughnessy designed the first one - the guy who, uh, designed the Golden Gate Bridge. Myyy second favorite civil engineer behind Hannskarl Bandel: Madison Square Garden...
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2020, 02:51:50 PM »
What I didn't know is DC once encompassed Alexandria and Arlington and it was given back to Virginia.

I think it's in How the States Got Their Shape book.  It wasn't given back, so much as it was taken back by Virginia.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2020, 03:07:43 PM »

Thanks.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2020, 05:00:24 PM »
There are 3 FLW in the Milw area that I can think of off the top of my head. The Greek Church on the west side (92nd St), Terrace Ave on the east side near Lake Park, the Adelman House in Fox Point (owned by the parents of Judge Lynn Adelman). There are also some on the near west side, I think, near 25th and Highland.  Several there were part of a plan to develop low cost housing There's Taleisen (SP?) West in the Phoenix area. FLW started out in Chicago under his mentor, Louie Sullivan who designed the Garrick Theater (gone) and others. Spring Green,WI is the home of Taliesin  and is open to the public.
Olmstead also designed Central Park in NYC. Milwaukee Lake Park is the foundation for a magnificent lake front which Milw has developed over the years to be a local treasure, especially as compared to Chicago which blew its chance.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2020, 12:43:53 PM »

Your forgetting his two greatest accomplishments, Beardsley Park and Seaside Park in the city where I grew up, Bridgeport, CT (nicknamed The Park City)!
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2020, 06:27:51 PM »
There are 3 FLW in the Milw area that I can think of off the top of my head. The Greek Church on the west side (92nd St), Terrace Ave on the east side near Lake Park, the Adelman House in Fox Point (owned by the parents of Judge Lynn Adelman). There are also some on the near west side, I think, near 25th and Highland.  Several there were part of a plan to develop low cost housing There's Taleisen (SP?) West in the Phoenix area. FLW started out in Chicago under his mentor, Louie Sullivan who designed the Garrick Theater (gone) and others. Spring Green,WI is the home of Taliesin  and is open to the public.
Olmstead also designed Central Park in NYC. Milwaukee Lake Park is the foundation for a magnificent lake front which Milw has developed over the years to be a local treasure, especially as compared to Chicago which blew its chance.

There's an oft-forgotten string of FLW houses on Burnham Street between 27th and 28th.

feedback