'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Best performances since 2000  (Read 4772 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Best performances since 2000
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2018, 03:52:35 AM »
You know what?  I simply don't care.  It was pure joy to watch incredibly special offensive production in the second half.

Glow, I'm with you! Incredible night for an incredible part of our team.

Sounds like Markus is helping Wojo live up to his promise of building a basketball team we can be proud of.

Guess this ends any talk about Markus having a Haani-like sophomore slump!

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2018, 05:20:20 AM »
Unbelievable performance by Markus and does show the adage about shooters needing to keep shooting is dead on.   

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2018, 05:59:02 AM »
 Great performance.  Ranks #3 for me, slightly behind Novak.  If I remember correctly, Novak also had 19 rebounds, so 41 and 19 in the first Big East game against a top 5 team just tops 52 & 1.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2018, 06:17:45 AM »
The Crowder @WVU game with DJO, Blue, Cadougan suspended for the 1H ranks high for me. This was better though.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2018, 06:34:13 AM »
#3... Markus only made easy baskets
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2018, 07:01:34 AM »
Awesome game.  Not that it matters, but I'd also put it at No. 3, just a hair behind Novak.

Funny story (to me, at least) about the game.  I had a conflict, so I recorded the game to watch later.  About 5-10 minutes in, I got a text from my son, "Big day for Markus."  Arrrrgghh!  I hate spoilers when I'm watching a recorded game.  Fast forward to 73-79 with a bit over 1:00 on the clock, and Markus has 36 points.  I said to my wife, "Maybe he just meant that Markus had a great night, but Marquette didn't win."  Needless to say, I loved how the next few minutes played out.

What a fantastic game.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2018, 07:51:17 AM »
Awesome game.  Not that it matters, but I'd also put it at No. 3, just a hair behind Novak.

Funny story (to me, at least) about the game.  I had a conflict, so I recorded the game to watch later.  About 5-10 minutes in, I got a text from my son, "Big day for Markus."  Arrrrgghh!  I hate spoilers when I'm watching a recorded game.  Fast forward to 73-79 with a bit over 1:00 on the clock, and Markus has 36 points.  I said to my wife, "Maybe he just meant that Markus had a great night, but Marquette didn't win."  Needless to say, I loved how the next few minutes played out.

What a fantastic game.

Given the early start, we had to tape delay and were probably 1 hour behind.  Cutting out halftime and such, we probably had that down to 20 minutes by the end.  Killed Chick that she had to stay off Scoop.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2018, 08:02:16 AM »
It was fantastic and the great thing is that it very well may see something similar a few more times.

A real chance Markus ends his MU career firmly in the the MU GOAT discussion. Especially if that judgement includes the “big picture” - I’m not sure MU has ever had a better ambassador for the program. What a special young man.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2018, 08:11:21 AM »
Given the early start, we had to tape delay and were probably 1 hour behind.  Cutting out halftime and such, we probably had that down to 20 minutes by the end.  Killed Chick that she had to stay off Scoop.

Everyone had to stay off Scoop near the end.  Too many people trying to buy Uggs at once.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2018, 09:29:33 AM »
#3? (Wade vs. UK, Novak vs. Uconn)

UCONN was a top five team if memory serves, maybe top 3?  It was also the first Big East game ever for MU so the significance was much greater.  Providence isn't near that level of competition, plus they were without their best player.

Tony Smith had some amazing performances in what amounted to a one man team.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2018, 10:48:27 PM »
UCONN was a top five team if memory serves, maybe top 3?

This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2018, 11:03:21 PM »
Anybody else catch this?  ESPN2 just ran an extended piece on Markus's career night, showing every three, the floaters, the reverses, all of it.  Added Sam drilling that late three for good measure.  To add to the warm fuzzies, they tacked on "Marquette in the NBA", showing footage from D-Wade, Wesley, JFB, and Jae, in that order.  Great pub for MU, and the unmistakable, if unspoken, message that M2N is next.

Here is the Marcus clip:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21955018

Have some patience, FFS.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2018, 12:16:26 AM »
UCONN was a top five team if memory serves, maybe top 3?  It was also the first Big East game ever for MU so the significance was much greater.  Providence isn't near that level of competition, plus they were without their best player.

Tony Smith had some amazing performances in what amounted to a one man team.

Big deal.  Were they going to score more than 90 points with Bullock?  Was Bullock going to guard Markus?  In his post game comments Cooley downplayed the significance of Bullock being out.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 12:18:01 AM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2018, 06:45:12 AM »
Big deal.  Were they going to score more than 90 points with Bullock?  Was Bullock going to guard Markus?  In his post game comments Cooley downplayed the significance of Bullock being out.
Yeah, I think they are better with Bullock. 

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2018, 11:11:10 AM »

In ranking the performances that is factor to me.  Going up against #2 team in nation vs one that has no votes and missing a key player is part of the criteria for me, but only in ranking it.  What Howard did the other night was special.  The stage it is done on and the quality of the opponent, should matter.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

feedback