[Today at 09:32:37 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 317032 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #1475 on: June 29, 2020, 05:06:11 PM »
Two days in a row with no COVID deaths in Wisconsin. 

Fingers crossed.
Ludum habemus.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1476 on: June 29, 2020, 08:04:04 PM »
Two days in a row with no COVID deaths in Wisconsin. 

Fingers crossed.

👍👍hospitalizations and icu admissions are stable as well, hopefully it continues to inch down despite the rise in positive case counts.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1477 on: June 29, 2020, 08:12:52 PM »
For people smarter than me, rank these outcomes from most to least likely for me.

This will just disappear over time (the next year, let’s say).
We find a treatment that is “good enough.”
We find a vaccine that is “good enough.”
Herd immunity is a thing and everyone contracts it at some point.
We will need to social distance and avoid large crowds for the next decade plus.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1478 on: June 29, 2020, 08:34:21 PM »
For people smarter than me, rank these outcomes from most to least likely for me.

We will need to social distance and avoid large crowds for the next decade plus.

Treatment
Vaccine
Disappear
Herd Immunity
Ten years

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1479 on: June 30, 2020, 09:16:21 AM »
Treatment
Vaccine
Disappear
Herd Immunity
Ten years

That's where I'd put them as well.

Unfortunately, our best hope was this thing mutating and losing potency, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1480 on: June 30, 2020, 09:45:31 AM »
That's where I'd put them as well.

Unfortunately, our best hope was this thing mutating and losing potency, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen.

Actually that makes it much more likely a vaccine will A) be developed and B) have long term immunization impact.

I'd reverse treatment and vaccine but otherwise the list is accurate IMO.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1481 on: June 30, 2020, 05:26:49 PM »

1. Vaccine, but you might need to get it 1 to 2 times every year.
2. Herd immunity, with the hope that successive infections after immunity lapses are milder infections.
3. Treatment that is "good enough," simply because social distance/avoid large groups is irrelevant with item 2 (we'll get herd immunity first).
4. Social distance/avoid crowds. Some element of this is going to be around for segments of our population for awhile, unless 1 is achieved.
5. Don't see how this just goes away at this point.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1482 on: July 02, 2020, 07:27:06 AM »
Conversation with a local health leader yesterday afternoon.  He says the lack of a state-wide, coordinated plan is going to be disasterous by the end of summer.  The various local counties have a wide dispartity on how they are managing things, and with the travel season in full force, the idea that you can manage this locally is nonsense.

Particularly concerning are the young, 20-somethings but also the older people heading up north to counties whose public health departments are nowhere near sophisticated enough to manage this.

We have failed as a nation, but we have REALLY failed as a state.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1483 on: July 02, 2020, 07:49:55 AM »
Conversation with a local health leader yesterday afternoon.  He says the lack of a state-wide, coordinated plan is going to be disasterous by the end of summer.  The various local counties have a wide dispartity on how they are managing things, and with the travel season in full force, the idea that you can manage this locally is nonsense.

Particularly concerning are the young, 20-somethings but also the older people heading up north to counties whose public health departments are nowhere near sophisticated enough to manage this.

That's what I've been saying.  And you know who isn't taking the virus serious?  The folks up north.  Sure, it starts at young people at bars.  Then they spread it to family and friends.  And those folks go on vacation to the Northwoods and spread it to the workers there more easily (due to lack of mask wearing) or other patrons at bars and restaurants. 

It isn't hard to figure out how this is an incoming disaster for rural and Northern Wisconsin.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1484 on: July 02, 2020, 09:20:22 AM »
That's what I've been saying.  And you know who isn't taking the virus serious?  The folks up north.  Sure, it starts at young people at bars.  Then they spread it to family and friends.  And those folks go on vacation to the Northwoods and spread it to the workers there more easily (due to lack of mask wearing) or other patrons at bars and restaurants. 

It isn't hard to figure out how this is an incoming disaster for rural and Northern Wisconsin.

I had a lengthy conversation with my counterpart in my sister plant in Appleton yesterday.  He expressed the exact same thing and was upset about it.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1485 on: July 02, 2020, 09:55:48 AM »

Who is preventing us from having a plan?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1486 on: July 02, 2020, 10:09:03 AM »
Who is preventing us from having a plan?

Honestly, both parties talk right past each other.  The Democrats make declarations they know the courts will smack down.  The Republicans fight every attempt at a lock down.  It is Wisconsin to its core.  Both parties look for as many 'wins' as they can, and in the end we all lose.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1487 on: July 02, 2020, 10:32:13 AM »
Honestly, both parties talk right past each other.  The Democrats make declarations they know the courts will smack down.  The Republicans fight every attempt at a lock down.  It is Wisconsin to its core.  Both parties look for as many 'wins' as they can, and in the end we all lose.

I think you are wrong, Hards. Wisconsin had a plan and it was working. One side decided to stop the plan. One side is stopping the implementation of a new plan.

We saw this occur even before the inauguration when one side took away powers of the new gov even before he was sworn in. Then we saw one side force people to risk their lives to exercise their voting rights.

Sadly, Evers appears to have given up fighting this fight as he knows whatever he tries will be struck down in court anyway. My fault with him is that he should continue to fight for the health of Wisconsin citizens anyway. He knows That one side will buck anything he does. He needs to man up and do what is right anyway.

• All American
« Reply #1488 on: July 02, 2020, 10:46:50 AM »
Mary Spicuzza
@MSpicuzzaMJS
Wisconsin health officials are urging people to stay home for Fourth of July weekend, warning Wisconsin has seen a recent surge in cases, with nearly 20% of the state's COVID-19 cases testing positive in the last two weeks & half of all positive cases within the past 5 weeks.

Mary Spicuzza
@MSpicuzzaMJS
Wisconsin @GovEvers: "This message is especially important for younger people to hear. We know this is a time people like to celebrate with friends, but COVID-19 is still spreading in our state, and we need everyone to take the necessary precautions."

But of course they can't actually CLOSE the bars in this state.  So we are going to rely on people doing this voluntarily.

What a f*cking disaster.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1489 on: July 02, 2020, 11:15:24 AM »
I think you are wrong, Hards. Wisconsin had a plan and it was working. One side decided to stop the plan. One side is stopping the implementation of a new plan.

We saw this occur even before the inauguration when one side took away powers of the new gov even before he was sworn in. Then we saw one side force people to risk their lives to exercise their voting rights.

Sadly, Evers appears to have given up fighting this fight as he knows whatever he tries will be struck down in court anyway. My fault with him is that he should continue to fight for the health of Wisconsin citizens anyway. He knows That one side will buck anything he does. He needs to man up and do what is right anyway.

I understand.  But Evers overreached, and the courts agreed.  Evers isn't the king of Wisconsin, and they have a right to check his power.  You'd be equally pissed if the situations were reversed and Walker overreached.  Right?

The problem with the Democrats is that they are and have been totally ineffective at using PR to accomplish their goals.  As a person of above average intelligence (flex!), I can't understand why Evers isn't asking for a public meeting with the congressional leaders so that everyone can sit down and figure out our way forward.  If they say no, then they've given Evers political ammo.  If they say yes, Evers looks like he is doing his best to cooperate and reach across the aisle.  Instead, what do we get?  Uhhhh nothing.  Cuomo understands that the media is a tool.  Evers doesn't, and seems to have given up.  Great leadership indeed.  And this is coming from a liberal.

I get that you want to blame only the Republicans, but there is a reality in this state that no amount of complaining or blaming will change.  We have a Republican majority in congress.  It would seem that the plan here is to do nothing until November and hope that the election flips congress.    And that isn't happening.

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/wisconsin-republicans-look-to-flip-6-seats-for-veto-proof-legislative-majority/article_a20fa78d-129c-5369-aa97-42d235e3a334.html

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1490 on: July 02, 2020, 11:26:58 AM »
The problem with the Democrats is that they are and have been totally ineffective at using PR to accomplish their goals.
I repeat, Democrats are terrible at messaging.

The biggest damage being done to Trump this election cycle--beyond the massive unforced self-inflicted wounds--is coming from anti-Trump Republican groups.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1491 on: July 02, 2020, 12:18:44 PM »

The biggest damage being done to Trump this election cycle--beyond the massive unforced self-inflicted wounds--is coming from anti-Trump Republican groups.

You and Hards are 100% correct. I think the main reason is that they don’t want to offend people who would never vote for them anyway. Hence, they never put their true message out there.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #1492 on: July 02, 2020, 12:31:55 PM »
I understand.  But Evers overreached, and the courts agreed.  Evers isn't the king of Wisconsin, and they have a right to check his power.  You'd be equally pissed if the situations were reversed and Walker overreached.  Right?

The problem with the Democrats is that they are and have been totally ineffective at using PR to accomplish their goals.  As a person of above average intelligence (flex!), I can't understand why Evers isn't asking for a public meeting with the congressional leaders so that everyone can sit down and figure out our way forward.  If they say no, then they've given Evers political ammo.  If they say yes, Evers looks like he is doing his best to cooperate and reach across the aisle.  Instead, what do we get?  Uhhhh nothing.  Cuomo understands that the media is a tool.  Evers doesn't, and seems to have given up.  Great leadership indeed.  And this is coming from a liberal.

I get that you want to blame only the Republicans, but there is a reality in this state that no amount of complaining or blaming will change.  We have a Republican majority in congress.  It would seem that the plan here is to do nothing until November and hope that the election flips congress.    And that isn't happening.

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/wisconsin-republicans-look-to-flip-6-seats-for-veto-proof-legislative-majority/article_a20fa78d-129c-5369-aa97-42d235e3a334.html

Well said Hards. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1493 on: July 02, 2020, 01:21:20 PM »

I was talking to my buddy, who happens to be African American. Obviously he’s ardently against the current administration and is focused on November regardless of candidate. We were talking against messaging and he’s just baffled. He pointed to the PR push of a VP candidate like Kamala or Stacey Adams. The first, and very certainly the latter is an angle for the AA vote. His response “those people were never going to vote for Trump, and if the concern is voter turnout, why not hammer issues important to them instead of a token VP candidate, cause that certainly isn’t gonna motivate my 65 year old aunt to go vote when she never does”

• All American
« Reply #1494 on: July 02, 2020, 01:24:53 PM »
I was talking to my buddy, who happens to be African American. Obviously he’s ardently against the current administration and is focused on November regardless of candidate. We were talking against messaging and he’s just baffled. He pointed to the PR push of a VP candidate like Kamala or Stacey Adams. The first, and very certainly the latter is an angle for the AA vote. His response “those people were never going to vote for Trump, and if the concern is voter turnout, why not hammer issues important to them instead of a token VP candidate, cause that certainly isn’t gonna motivate my 65 year old aunt to go vote when she never does”

It's much more about the female thing than the black thing. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1495 on: July 02, 2020, 05:57:11 PM »

Treatment
Heard immunity/disappear (same thing)
Vaccine
Cubs win the series again
Brewers make it to the series
Ten years (this one will literally never happen)

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1496 on: July 02, 2020, 06:36:27 PM »

Never heard of Stacey Adams.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1497 on: July 02, 2020, 06:56:26 PM »
Wades would know that Stacey Adams shoes were popular with African-Americans. I used to sell them, back in the day, on 20th and Fond du Lac Ave. while working my way through school.

#privileged
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 07:19:09 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1498 on: July 02, 2020, 07:14:02 PM »
Never heard of Stacey Adams.

That was a pretty amazing auto correct I didn’t catch, especially since I had to fight my phone twice to spell Stacey with an E

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1499 on: July 02, 2020, 07:36:34 PM »
Wades would know that Stacey Adams shoes were popular with African-Americans. I used to sell them, back in the day, on 20th and Fond du Lac Ave. while working my way through school.

#privileged

Good thing you got out of that life, hey doc?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBObjmcJO_t/?igshid=1dvnidwmpleb4
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter