'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fire Crean!!  (Read 7212 times)

mviale

• All American
Re: Fire Crean!!
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 10:47:24 PM »
with fans like these - who needs enemies?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 10:48:31 AM »

5) Reconsider moving away from Converse

did i miss something? whats this about? are we moving away from converse?
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Don't Fire Crean!!
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2008, 12:10:57 PM »
We will win at least 1 game in March.  Don't forget, Florida Gulf Coast is our late-season cupcake on March 4th.

I agree, this is the year that we will win at least 1 in the NCAA's, regardless of who the opponent is.

The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2008, 12:41:25 PM »
Um, you guys are aware that we are currently the #16 ranked team in the country? I know that with the last loss we will drop, but I don't think that puts us "on the bubble." This is a very good team that almost beat an excellent Duke team and beat Wisconsin at home. Do we have nothing to worry about? Hardly. But the sky is not falling.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 05:18:09 PM by Avenue Commons »
We Are Marquette

77champs

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2008, 08:27:01 PM »
I think the issue with Crean is that he did not have his team prepared.   He has to be one of the worst game coaches in the Big East.  He really does little to respond to surprises (WV) or more importantly create surprises. There is seldom an effective plan B.   Despite the normal issues with Barro he was not in foul trouble on MOnday and was coming off a good game.  Despite MU having issues defending inside he spent much of the 2nd half on the bench. 

In Al's day, he would work the team hard but knew how to read the team.  There were some practices before a big road game where Al would tell a NY story and then say he was leaving and just shoot around if you wanted.  This day of rest is never on Crean's agenda and it provided time for the team to consider what AL was doing.  It was a way for him to get the team up for a game without having to do the Rah Rah.   Not sure what Crean does to get the team mentally ready but it sure is not working.  Usually someone steps up but not on this team.   Hard practices have something to do with it.   Why not spend the time working on different defenses and the other team's inbound plays.  Changing defenses should work wonders with an active team as well as a real press.   With all the speed and playing 10 players one would think a trap press would be effective.  Maybe he's saving it for March.   I don't mind the team losing as much as being uninspired and seemingly unprepared and being an embarrassment on ESPN.   That's why Crean should be put on notice as he can't keep living off the success of 2003.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2008, 08:44:03 PM »
The worst thing in the world would be to consider firing Crean. The coach of the Giants ,Tom Coughlin, hadbeen on the firing line for years and now he has won the Superbowl.Tom Crean is a dedicated reruiter, a  very good gamecoach. He also does not have any of the sleaze of some programs. Every season since he has been the coach has been enjoyable for me. I have enjoyed this season in that we have beaten Wisconsin, Notre Dame and Cincinatti and if the refs were not so influential; Duke. We are an elite program and some day in the next six-nine years will win the national championship. Al took mamy years to win and it was sweet. The sweetness will return but we need a little bit of patience. All the best.

4everwarriors

• All American
To Each Their Own,...
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2008, 09:25:37 PM »
patso. But, I prefer to deal in reality.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2008, 12:14:11 AM »
...Tom Crean is a dedicated reruiter, a  very good gamecoach. ....
dedicated, maybe, but not a good recruiter.  i mentioned this earlier, he has failed to ever land a "highly convetted recruit".  no elite programs wanted Wade because his grade were in the toliet.  James was abandoned by most of the big schools in Indiana.  HE HAS NEVER LANDED A 'GO-TO' POST PLAYER and the center he did recruit to lead never played high school basketball.

Every season since he has been the coach has been enjoyable for me....
Al took mamy years to win and it was sweet.
my freshman yr in '02-'03 was great!!!  there have been many enjoyable games, a few enjoyable seasons, and four straight miserable endings.  Al at least showed improvement from season to season, and did the novel thing of leading teams to NCAA tournament wins.

The coach of the Giants ,Tom Coughlin, hadbeen on the firing line for years and now he has won the Superbowl.
Coughlin had success with Jacksonville prior to the Giants.  as much as Coughlin is a good story, Eli Manning's game did a 180 from the 1st half of the season.  He was the reson they won the Super Bowl, he plays like sh#t, they don't beat Tampa Bay (or maybe even make the playoffs).  Let's not forget Farve's "who's he throwing to" interception in OT at the 20 helped.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2008, 07:27:38 AM »
I think North Carolina should fire Williams. He lost at home to Duke.

feedback