'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fire Crean!!  (Read 7211 times)

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
Fire Crean!!
« on: February 04, 2008, 10:14:47 PM »
Come on Bob Knight is available. He'll right this ship.  :D

(added wink)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 08:03:32 AM by mu_hilltopper »

mviale

• All American
Re: Fire Crean!!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 11:12:30 PM »
with guys like you, Coughlin is fired after 2 losses.

have a little respect Green Bay
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 11:13:53 PM »
I think it was more of a joke. But firing Crean would be a huge mistake, he's outperforming 250+ division I coaches.

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 01:20:25 AM »
I think it was more of a joke. But firing Crean would be a huge mistake, he's outperforming 250+ division I coaches.

too bad the other 90 are outperforming him.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 01:26:05 AM »
I'm not a Crean hater in the least. But....

He needs to win in March without Dwyane Wade, and soon.

This might not be a crazy idea if they lose in the first round in the next couple of years.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 01:27:43 AM by MUfan12 »

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 01:30:59 AM »

Tom Coughlin did take teams out of the 1st round of the playoffs more than once in his career though.   :o

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 01:36:11 AM »
I'm not a Crean hater in the least. But....

He needs to win in March without Dwyane Wade, and soon.

This might not be a crazy idea if they lose in the first round in the next couple of years.

next couple?  they lose in the 1st round (hell, the 2nd rd too) he should be on the hot seat.  it would be 9yrs with only 1 NCAA first rd victory.  and with the combination of talent and exprience that carried over from last yr, anything less than the Sweet 16 this yr would be a huge disappointment.  he also has to prove he can recruit, sign, and KEEP a true 'go-to' big guy.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 02:44:15 AM »
Though I think it's too early to call for his head, Crean should be served notice that he needs to:

1) Cut the hard practices and focus on fundamentals
2) Re-evaluate his assistants
3) Go to coaching seminars on how to beat a zone
4) Think long and hard about how to make the NCAAs. Anything less will have been a disappointment from the expectations before the season started.
5) Reconsider moving away from Converse

Turn up the flames because his seat has just gotten hotter.

Can someone smell a transfer before the end of the year?
SS Marquette

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
So the logo on their uniforms and the shoes on their feet …
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 03:59:12 AM »
Though I think it's too early to call for his head, Crean should be served notice that he needs to:

… are the problems for Marquette’s basketball players?

Thanks for clearing up the mystery.

What on Earth are you saying? Or is this some joke that the rest of us are not getting?

What did Chuck Taylor ever do to you?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 07:00:48 AM »
Would you rather be Marquette or DePaul? How many coaches has DePaul had in Crean's tenure?

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 07:04:03 AM »

4) Think long and hard about how to make the NCAAs. Anything less will have been a disappointment from the expectations before the season started.

This years transfer will be............Patrick Hazel

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 08:13:03 AM »
There have been 30 seasons since Al McGuire retired.  If memory serves, we have won at least one NCAA tournament game in just 5 of them (2 NCAAs where we won a game/3 wins total under Raymonds, 0/0 under Majerus, 0/0 under Dukiet, 1/2 under O'Neill, 1/1 under Deane and 1/4 under Crean).  14 NCAA wins in 30 years.  We are not an elite program by any means.  Crean has been our most consistently successful coach since McGuire.  I'm not crazy about the lack of balance on this year's team, and he's not perfect, but the odds are that if he ever were to leave, we would do worse with the replacement.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

SGWarrior

• Starter
  • "I'm a winning guy."
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 08:14:33 AM »
I'm going with Patrick Hazel and Daveed Cubillan. >:(

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 08:20:59 AM »

You serious about the converse thing?

Am I missing something?

What do the shoes/uniforms have to do with performance?

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 08:37:26 AM »
Cubillian will probably transfer at the end of the year.  He could play much more on a lot of other teams.  Too bad I like his game better than Acker.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 09:07:43 AM »

I can see Crean at a seminar like that.

Instructor;  OK Coach, let's get started.  The first thing you want to do is establish your dominant low post scorer on the low blocks...
Crean:  Uh, excuse me, what if you don't have one of those?

Instructor:  OK, then you put your good hands big man with the good court vision in the high post...
Crean:  Don't have one of those, either.

Instructor;  Do you have guards or wings who can penetrate?
Crean:  I got about 12 of those.

Instructor:  OK, good.  So you get the ball to one of those guys on the wing and have him drive the lane.  When the defense converges on him, have him dish to your big man who can catch a pass and make an uncontested lay-up.  You do have some of those, don't you?
Crean:  Well, I sorta have one.  But he tends to get in foul trouble so I don't like to start him or play him too much.  Besides, it takes him a little while to gather himself so by the time he catches the ball and is ready to actually shoot it, it's not an uncontested lay-up anymore.

Instructor:  OK, then what you do is, after your penetrator has gotten past the outer defense, you run your quick release dead-eye three point shooter to the three point line ball side and...
Crean:  Well, I really don't have one of those, either.

Instructor:  OK, OK.  These penetrators of yours will have to take it to the rim.  How big are they?
Crean:  Well, they're about 5-8, 5-11, 6-2 and 6-4 or so.

Instructor:  I see.  Here's what you do.  Get on the phone with Savannah State and see if they have an open date
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 09:23:37 AM »

Instructor;  OK Coach, let's get started.  The first thing you want to do is establish your dominant low post scorer on the low blocks...

Instructor:  OK, then you put your good hands big man with the good court vision in the high post...

Instructor:  OK, good.  So you get the ball to one of those guys on the wing and have him drive the lane.  When the defense converges on him, have him dish to your big man who can catch a pass and make an uncontested lay-up.  You do have some of those, don't you?
Crean:  Well, I sorta have one.  But he tends to get in foul trouble so I don't like to start him or play him too much.  Besides, it takes him a little while to gather himself so by the time he catches the ball and is ready to actually shoot it, it's not an uncontested lay-up anymore.

Instructor:  OK, then what you do is, after your penetrator has gotten past the outer defense, you run your quick release dead-eye three point shooter to the three point line ball side and...

Instructor:  OK, OK.  These penetrators of yours will have to take it to the rim.  How big are they?

Instructor:  I see.  Here's what you do.  Get on the phone with Savannah State and see if they have an open date

CT, great post.  There is a lot of truth here and it shows what Crean is up against in coaching a team that is just not put together well.  I've heard it said that no other coach does as good a job covering up his teams weaknesses as Crean.  There might be some truth to that, but a coach can only cover up the weaknesses of the team he put together for so long.  Its hard to see where this team is going this year.  Its too reminiscent of the same thing that happened last year.

One thing you ommitted in your post - Crean should also mention that the big guy he does have down low, has an unusual tendency to be stepping on the baseline when he catches the ball.  That's not good.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 09:52:30 AM »
Tremendous post, CT, but I'm almost at the point where our problems may be a self-inflicted wound. We bring in three guards who can't shoot at all, then back them up with a pint-sized point guard and another guy who is much better in his mind than he is on the court. TC brought his three stars in 2 1/2 years ago asx the face of the franchise. Right now, that face is Dorian Gray because none of those three has stepped up to the next level and become a team leader. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 02:20:42 PM »

OK, I'll admit it -- I laughed.  Great post.

On the other hand, thank goodness that, notwithstanding that other thread, we've got some very talented players on this team.  Despite the shortcomings so amusingly detailed in CTWarrior's post, this team is competitive (usually) in the Big East and can play (usually) with the likes of Duke and Wisco.

I think Louisville is a very good team.  When it's all said and done, I think people will see that it's no shame to have lost to Louisville.  Getting "bare-ass spanked" (as I think someone called it), well, perhaps there is some shame in that.  But, all in all, I think the teams that we've lost to have been good teams.  I hope we can turn it around.  I keep reminding myself that the team that spanked ND, beat Wisco and played a nice second half against Cinci is in there somewhere.  Man, I'd like to watch that team more often.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 03:14:24 PM »

mviale, it was just a joke man. I was just trying to provide a little humor after a depressing night of MU basketball.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 03:42:12 PM »

mviale, it was just a joke man. I was just trying to provide a little humor after a depressing night of MU basketball.

Apperently a wink and a laughing face isn't enough to indicate a joke around here.  I reccomend two winks, three laughing faces and putting *joking* at the start and end of the post.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 07:40:27 PM »
HOLY MELTDOWN!  I would hate to see what happens around here if we have a sub 500 record in one of the toughest conferences in the country but okay I will play along.  I say James and McNeal leave for the NBA.  Matthews transfers to the rodents and makes daddy happy.  Acker leaves with Buckley to wherever he goes.  Cube decides he needs to go back home.  Burke graduates and decides to say screw this.  Christopherson and Hazel both decide that even though everyone else has graduated, transfered out or went pro their still won't be any playing team so they transfer out to some mid-majors and our only returning player will be Mbakwe who will be our player next year and will single handedly not only win us the conference title but will carry TC on his back and get coach his first NCAA tourny win since the final four run.  WooooooHooooooo.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 07:45:36 PM »
Cubillian will probably transfer at the end of the year. 

Funny you should say that...a few weeks ago I had a dream in which exactly that happened.

Not sure what that says about the state of the program, nor am I quite sure what dreaming about the state of the program says about me....  :o

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 08:08:06 PM »
Not serious about Converse = bad hoops, but don't ya feel like you want to remove EVERYTHING associated with this year?

But then again, who know? Maybe an "LA Gear" moment is still to be had this  season!!!  :D
SS Marquette

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 10:37:30 PM »
Easy.  The year aint over.   I'd say .. 70/30 we make the NCAAs.  Whether we win a game in March is a crap shoot, but I think we still match up well with a lot of teams.  50/50 chance we win a game, without knowing the team.

feedback