[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: we need a GOLD t-shirt giveaway...  (Read 6872 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

Re: we need a GOLD t-shirt giveaway...
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 08:06:18 AM »
I will never wear gold to a game. Why would I listen to their request when Marquette doesn't listen to alumni?

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 11:35:27 AM »
I will never wear gold to a game. Why would I listen to their request when Marquette doesn't listen to alumni?

How about you get past your personal biases, support the team, and show some unity for Marquette?  There aren't many more adamant supporters of the Warriors nickname but I still wear a Gold shirt... it just has the Warriors logo on it!  If you're a fan of Marquette Basketball, it makes no sense to not wear a Gold shirt.  If you're not a fan of the current team, give your tix to someone that will be there and support the team.  And yes... wearing a Gold shirt is one of the ways to support the team and players.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 11:40:49 AM »
So wearing a blue "Marquette" sweatshirt isn't supporting the team?

augoman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2008, 11:48:31 AM »
PRN, I actually wear different blue/gold striped shirts in honor of the "bumble bee" uniforms..., (while confessing to an occaisional plain gold shirt or vest).

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2008, 12:11:14 PM »

Answer this... did the Basketball program ask the fans to support them yesterday by wearing Gold?  "Be Bold, Wear Gold"

Pardner

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2008, 12:16:37 PM »
Maybe a better show of support would have been to stick around to the end of the game.  Not counting the band, there was maybe 15,000+ who had left the BC.  It was as miserable a home game as I have witnessed in over 40 years, but we did play hard to the end.   Maybe MU should have colored the empy seats gold?

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2008, 12:21:19 PM »
no one here should be blaming anyone in the student section or the alumnis for not dressing in gold. I for one, while not at marquette still, had no idea that we were supposed to wear Gold. maybe a little marketing would help this out. Second, i think its a little ridiculous to ask a fan base to stand unified when marquette cannot be unified in its own. three years ago we were the gold for 6 days. When we finally get over that nuclear bomb, the school brings in the baby blues from the '77 championship year. then, this year they are bringing in redesigned jerseys in four colors. I wear my baby blue wes jersey every game, that doesnt make me less of a fan. The university needs to establish a stable group of colors for their team. You can not introduce a new color every year and expect there to be any singular color at a game. Green and Gold is different because they have been the colors of the packers forever.

get off of our backs about not golding out the BC.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2008, 12:22:21 PM »

Answer this... did the Basketball program ask the fans to support them yesterday by wearing Gold?  "Be Bold, Wear Gold"

Did 94 percent of Marquette alumni tell the administration that they preferred Warriors?

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2008, 12:30:02 PM »

Did 94 percent of Marquette alumni tell the administration that they preferred Warriors?

PRN... you're barking up the wrong tree.  First of all, I don't really remember much of your support when we were fighting the administration with new-warriors.com.  Secondly, what does that have to do with wearing Gold to the game yesterday?

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2008, 12:37:04 PM »
no one here should be blaming anyone in the student section or the alumnis for not dressing in gold. I for one, while not at marquette still, had no idea that we were supposed to wear Gold. maybe a little marketing would help this out. Second, i think its a little ridiculous to ask a fan base to stand unified when marquette cannot be unified in its own. three years ago we were the gold for 6 days. When we finally get over that nuclear bomb, the school brings in the baby blues from the '77 championship year. then, this year they are bringing in redesigned jerseys in four colors. I wear my baby blue wes jersey every game, that doesnt make me less of a fan. The university needs to establish a stable group of colors for their team. You can not introduce a new color every year and expect there to be any singular color at a game. Green and Gold is different because they have been the colors of the packers forever.

I agree with some of your points and would understand if not everybody heard about the Gold-out (I got an email from gomarquette).  That said, I think Coach Crean has made it pretty clear what color he wants the Bradley Center to be and if you've been to a game, approximately 50% of the people are in Gold.  Doesn't take much to figure out which color you should probably wear...

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2008, 12:45:30 PM »

Another Warriors supporter here, but to answer your question:  absolutely not.  Not even close.  As difficult as it is for me to believe or understand, the vast majority of Marquette alumni don't give a damn about this issue.  Many of the ones that do -- like me -- feel very strongly about it.  But most simply don't care.  I happen to live with a Marquette alum who doesn't care and thinks I'm a bit silly for caring so much about it.  Fortunately, she let me cast her vote (thus skewing the results ever so slightly).

I live in NE Ohio and attend most of the Marquette alumni events in the area.  By definition, the people who attend these events regularly are more actively engaged with Marquette than those who don't.  When I bring up the mascot issue -- and plenty of people will tell you that I ALWAYS bring it up -- I get very little interest or support.  My experience -- and yours may vary -- is that most alums simply don't care.  I wish they did, but they don't.  I've tried to get them to care, but they don't.  You can argue that the people who care about the issue are boycotting the events because they're angry at the University, but I really don't think that's the case.

I recall that the feedback on the University surveys showed a lot of support for the Warriors name, but that only reflected the feedback of people who care enough about the issue to bother responding (and was skewed by people like me who responded twice).  I don't recall what percentage didn't even respond, but I suspect it was a majority.  Does anyone remember?

I think it's a travesty that we can't get the name changed back, but I will not delude myself into believing that a large majority of alums even care about the issue -- much less want to have the name changed back.  I will agree, however, that a large majority of people who do care about the mascot do want the name changed back.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2008, 12:47:13 PM »

I agree with some of your points and would understand if not everybody heard about the Gold-out (I got an email from gomarquette).  That said, I think Coach Crean has made it pretty clear what color he wants the Bradley Center to be and if you've been to a game, approximately 50% of the people are in Gold.  Doesn't take much to figure out which color you should probably wear...

so because 50% of the people are wearing gold while, presumably, 16.5% are wearing white, blue, baby blue. I should just go with the mob? thats your argument. I will tell you what if the team wanted everyone to wear gold... i think that the midnight madness shirt would have been in gold and not baby blue. i would think the spirit shop wouldnt be offering as many items in other colors than gold.

unfortunatly marquette cares about the best opportunity to make money, not to unify the stands for games. Thats not our fault. if they really wanted to be sure they were going to gold out the stands... do what the heat did when they whited out their stands.... put the shirts on the seats.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

MUWeb7

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
Wear Gold. Period. It shows a unified fan base, and pumps the team.

Think about it for just a second and picture this: If you were a player and walked out of the tunnel to 19,000 strong wearing nothing but gold and yelling for your team...I'd be pretty pumped.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2008, 01:01:38 PM »
I recall that the feedback on the University surveys showed a lot of support for the Warriors name, but that only reflected the feedback of people who care enough about the issue to bother responding (and was skewed by people like me who responded twice).  I don't recall what percentage didn't even respond, but I suspect it was a majority.  Does anyone remember?

Around 65% of people didn't respond overall, and the number went up in the 2second stage when the choice was between Hilltoppers and Golden Eagles.  That includes alumni, students, and others that were sent the survey.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2008, 01:06:12 PM »
This team is a branding continuity nightmare in almost every single arena right now.  Maybe I wouldn't pick up on this if I didn't work in marketing and brand strategy, but one of the goals of a brand is to present a unified front.  

That simply isn't happening, from vehicle window stickers (new MU monogram and the Golden Eagle both make regular appearances) to the fans in the Bradley Center (wearing officially licensed apparel in at least white, gold, gray, dark blue, and light blue, if not others).

The end result is an organization with little brand image.  If MU wanted to ensure a gold-out, it should have handed out 19,000 gold t-shirts, because there's a great chance that nobody else is wearing the gold.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2008, 01:10:01 PM »

PRN... you're barking up the wrong tree.  First of all, I don't really remember much of your support when we were fighting the administration with new-warriors.com.  Secondly, what does that have to do with wearing Gold to the game yesterday?

Are you the guy that sat on the name change committee and laid down on the issue because some of the administration told you to? If so, that sure was a "fight."

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2008, 01:26:05 PM »
This team is a branding continuity nightmare in almost every single arena right now.  Maybe I wouldn't pick up on this if I didn't work in marketing and brand strategy, but one of the goals of a brand is to present a unified front.  

That simply isn't happening, from vehicle window stickers (new MU monogram and the Golden Eagle both make regular appearances) to the fans in the Bradley Center (wearing officially licensed apparel in at least white, gold, gray, dark blue, and light blue, if not others).

The end result is an organization with little brand image.  If MU wanted to ensure a gold-out, it should have handed out 19,000 gold t-shirts, because there's a great chance that nobody else is wearing the gold.

THANK YOU.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2008, 01:44:33 PM »

Around 65% of people didn't respond overall, and the number went up in the 2second stage when the choice was between Hilltoppers and Golden Eagles.  That includes alumni, students, and others that were sent the survey.

If I'm reading the data correctly, then only 7% of alumni responded to the survey (see also here).  According to the link, 67% of the respondents were alumni, but only 7% of the alumni responded.  So, while it is true that 92% of alumni responding identified with the Warriors nickname, less than 10% of alumni cared enough about the issue to respond at all.  I don't remember everything Dr. Griffin taught me about polling/surveys (hell, I'm not sure I remember any of it), but I really don't buy the line of thinking that if 92% or alumni respondents identify with the Warriors name, then 92% of all alumni identify with the name.  I think it's inarguable that a certain number of individuals who chose not to respond made that choice because they could not possibly care less about the issue.  Those that responded to the survey did so because they cared strongly one way or the other.

So, what we're left with is the fact that the survey revealed that 92% of the 7% of alumni who responded (somewhere in the vicinity of 5% of total alumni) responded that they identify with the Warriors nickname.

Of course I acknowledge that some of those who did not respond also "identify" with the Warriors nickname, and failed to respond for other reasons.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2008, 02:49:55 PM »
Freezing rain makes it hard to travel long distances, like my family was planning on for this game but decided not too because of bad roads.

I drove in from La Crosse today and had ZERO problems with the roads.

no problems from madison either (Duh ZFB, if Eye made it in from LAX, then you should be able to make it from Madison.  Screw you ZFB, what if the beltline was bad?)

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2008, 03:06:49 PM »

Are you the guy that sat on the name change committee and laid down on the issue because some of the administration told you to? If so, that sure was a "fight."

You are truly clueless... why don't you just answer the Gold question and stop trying to turn this into a Warriors discussion?   ?-(

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2008, 03:27:36 PM »
First of all, I don't really remember much of your support when we were fighting the administration with new-warriors.com.  Secondly, what does that have to do with wearing Gold to the game yesterday?
You are truly clueless... why don't you just answer the Gold question and stop trying to turn this into a Warriors discussion?   ?-(

Who turned this into a Warriors discussion?

In answer to your question about wearing Gold...it's my personal opinion that being told what to wear is about as juvenile as it comes. I do not need instruction (nor do I need instruction on when to stand or sit) and it doesn't make me any less of a fan if I wear a blue Marquette shirt. This entire thing is ridiculous as is the suggest that an entire arena of yellow-shirted fans would have made a difference in last night's game. 

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2008, 03:40:35 PM »
Freezing rain makes it hard to travel long distances, like my family was planning on for this game but decided not too because of bad roads.

I drove in from La Crosse today and had ZERO problems with the roads.

no problems from madison either (Duh ZFB, if Eye made it in from LAX, then you should be able to make it from Madison.  Screw you ZFB, what if the beltline was bad?)

Wtf?  DId you have a stroke in the middle of this post?

feedback