'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Final 4 thread  (Read 25580 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Final 4 thread
« Reply #200 on: April 03, 2022, 08:34:49 AM »

That was one long farewell tour. I never really disliked him until the past few months, and I am very happy the tour has been concluded. One that note, I think I am happier that I will not be seeing Mrs. K a dozen times a game.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #201 on: April 03, 2022, 09:35:14 AM »
AMF

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #202 on: April 03, 2022, 11:08:31 AM »
It's a good thing K had a great team this year so he could lose to 8th seed UNC twice and not walk away with an 'injured back'.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #203 on: April 03, 2022, 11:15:24 AM »
I wonder how many fanbases wouldn’t take Coach K or Bill Self?

The high and mighty aren’t often so high and mighty when they’re winning a lot of basketball games
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #204 on: April 03, 2022, 11:45:58 AM »
Sorry but I have a hard time buying that K made it all about his players, that it’s not about him, that it’s so unfair that everywhere he goes people want to take us picture, etc.

The dude set up his own year long farewell tour! If you don’t want all that unfair media attention and pressure, just coach the season and walk away like a normal person would!

It was so much about the kids and not him that they didn’t even have a Senior Day and instead had pre (walk out with all his former players out there) AND post game (his own senior night and bench dedication) festivities for Coach K at their last home game.

He could’ve very easily avoided the unfairness he claims his team faced this year. He brought it all upon them.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #205 on: April 03, 2022, 12:04:24 PM »
Two of the biggest plays in last night's game IMHO:

1. Midway through the second half, when Banchero foolishly tried to save the ball under his defensive basket. He threw it right to Bacot, who scored and was fouled by Williams - Williams' 4th foul. With Theo also having 4 fouls, it changed the way Duke had to play.

2. With 47 seconds to go, Williams bricked 2 FTs. The teams had traded the lead on several straight possessions, but with Duke losing by 1, Williams (a 75% FT shooter) missed well long and then, predictably, barely hit the front iron. I said to my wife, "Duke's still OK as long as they don't give up a 3." 19 seconds later, Love delivered a dagger.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #206 on: April 03, 2022, 12:15:26 PM »

1. Midway through the second half, when Banchero foolishly tried to save the ball under his defensive basket. He threw it right to Bacot, who scored and was fouled by Williams - Williams' 4th foul. With Theo also having 4 fouls, it changed the way Duke had to play.

2. With 47 seconds to go, Williams bricked 2 FTs. The teams had traded the lead on several straight possessions, but with Duke losing by 1, Williams (a 75% FT shooter) missed well long and then, predictably, barely hit the front iron. I said to my wife, "Duke's still OK as long as they don't give up a 3." 19 seconds later, Love delivered a dagger.
Yes. The Banchero play was brutal.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #207 on: April 03, 2022, 01:05:01 PM »
I'll be interesting, there are certainly occasions where jocks can become good leaders.  Time will tell on this one.

I’m still a bit surprised on K anointing Scheyer as his successor - they will be good next year simply because of the talent coming in which will mask any coaching deficiencies, but I don’t think he’s going to be successful long term.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #208 on: April 03, 2022, 01:34:26 PM »
i thought duke recruiting would dip slightly with k gone. guess not. the name itself sells the best recruits. a rarely achevied status of prolonged success

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #209 on: April 03, 2022, 01:53:59 PM »

It was a great game filled with clutch plays/moments.  Those missed FTs by Williams were definitely a big factor in their loss, as was the Love dagger.  Yet Manek also missed 3 of 4 FTs with under 5 minutes left. 

I felt bad for Theo.  Though perhaps his 4th fould was technically the right call, it sure seemed as though you don't call that foul.  Theo played really well in his minutes.  At least he got to experience a Final Four and playing meaningful minutes.  What a great life experience.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #210 on: April 03, 2022, 01:59:36 PM »
It was a great game filled with clutch plays/moments.  Those missed FTs by Williams were definitely a big factor in their loss, as was the Love dagger.  Yet Manek also missed 3 of 4 FTs with under 5 minutes left. 

I felt bad for Theo.  Though perhaps his 4th fould was technically the right call, it sure seemed as though you don't call that foul.  Theo played really well in his minutes.  At least he got to experience a Final Four and playing meaningful minutes.  What a great life experience.

That 4th foul honestly was clear as crystal.  He had both arms around the guy.   

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #211 on: April 03, 2022, 02:56:16 PM »
I’m still a bit surprised on K anointing Scheyer as his successor - they will be good next year simply because of the talent coming in which will mask any coaching deficiencies, but I don’t think he’s going to be successful long term.

If they keep it in the family, what choice did he have? Brey is close to retirement himself, Snyder is likely happy in the NBA, and Dawkins, Wojo, and Collins haven't had enough success. Amaker was probably the only option from his tree, but he has only been out of the first weekend once and that was more than 20 years ago (with Shaheen Holloway...as a player).

They went with the guy who's in house and hasn't been exposed as a coach yet. Had K left 10 years ago, it would've been Wojo. 5 years later, probably Carrawell or Nolan Smith. But I also think he comes up short of expectations. I give him 4-5 years.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #212 on: April 03, 2022, 02:58:53 PM »
Naming Scheyer also makes for seemless recruiting.  And they weren't going outside the family for this hire, and they may not when Scheyer likely fails.  (And I say this because replacing a legend rarely leads to success.)  Coach K is going to hold sway over this program for awhile.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #213 on: April 03, 2022, 03:16:12 PM »
Naming Scheyer also makes for seemless recruiting.  And they weren't going outside the family for this hire, and they may not when Scheyer likely fails.  (And I say this because replacing a legend rarely leads to success.)  Coach K is going to hold sway over this program for awhile.

For the 2023 class, where K was still involved to some extent in the initial recruiting, most definitely.  But I think moving out it’ll get tougher and tougher as the allure of playing for Duke (ie K) starts to recede.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #214 on: April 03, 2022, 05:51:36 PM »
i thought duke recruiting would dip slightly with k gone. guess not. the name itself sells the best recruits. a rarely achevied status of prolonged success
pretty early still. I think, and kinda hope, the allure fades. Indiana has become completely irrelevant so it's possible for a blue blood to hibernate. We'll see how sheyer actually does without training wheels

MU82

• All American
« Reply #215 on: April 03, 2022, 09:26:07 PM »

I don’t feel bad for Theo. For a stretch of the first half of a Final Four game, he was the best player on his team. He was a big part of them getting a lead.

He got to work on his Masters at an elite university while playing basketball, and he got to the Final Four.

He gave his all for Marquette for 4 years and now did the same for Duke. And he did his small part off the court to try to make the world a better place.

I’m happy for him.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #216 on: April 04, 2022, 04:11:00 AM »
Life's a bitch, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #217 on: April 04, 2022, 07:19:28 AM »
Life's a bitch, aina?

Going to the final four as a player is a bitch?  I don’t think that saying applies in this instance.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #218 on: April 04, 2022, 07:50:00 AM »
I don’t feel bad for Theo. For a stretch of the first half of a Final Four game, he was the best player on his team. He was a big part of them getting a lead.

He got to work on his Masters at an elite university while playing basketball, and he got to the Final Four.

He gave his all for Marquette for 4 years and now did the same for Duke. And he did his small part off the court to try to make the world a better place.

I’m happy for him.

I was super stoked for Theo, he was great. Yeah, he fouled four times ish, but man, he was working full intensity for more consecutive time than he probably ever has against the soon to be NCAA champions. He was quicker, thinner but still a beast, and more confident than he has ever been. He was great, I was proud he gave his heart to MU. I am not a Duke fan, but I sure am a Theo fan.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #219 on: April 04, 2022, 07:56:34 AM »
I was super stoked for Theo, he was great. Yeah, he fouled four times ish, but man, he was working full intensity for more consecutive time than he probably ever has against the soon to be NCAA champions. He was quicker, thinner but still a beast, and more confident than he has ever been. He was great, I was proud he gave his heart to MU. I am not a Duke fan, but I sure am a Theo fan.

I really didn't notice much difference at all compared to how he played at Marquette.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #220 on: April 04, 2022, 07:59:58 AM »
Bacot has been getting his ankle worked on constantly since the semifinal game ended, and had this to say about playing tonight:

“No chance I’m not playing in the national championship game. My right leg would have to be cut off for me not to play.”

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #221 on: April 04, 2022, 08:07:02 AM »
Bacot has been getting his ankle worked on constantly since the semifinal game ended, and had this to say about playing tonight:

“No chance I’m not playing in the national championship game. My right leg would have to be cut off for me not to play.”

I have a feeling that may come back to bite Carolina. I was listening to some of the media folks that were there for the postgame interviews Satuday and they said Bacot could barely walk. He got by on adrenaline for the Duke game, but give that ankle 48 hours to swell up and it will be a completely different situation.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #222 on: April 04, 2022, 08:08:33 AM »
I have a feeling that may come back to bite Carolina. I was listening to some of the media folks that were there for the postgame interviews Satuday and they said Bacot could barely walk. He got by on adrenaline for the Duke game, but give that ankle 48 hours to swell up and it will be a completely different situation.

We'll see what Davis' Plan B is if Bacot can't get up and down the court.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #223 on: April 04, 2022, 08:21:03 AM »
We'll see what Davis' Plan B is if Bacot can't get up and down the court.

If that's the case, I have no idea what they do with McCormick. No way Manek can guard him and I don't think any of their bench players can either. They could try playing five-out and make McCormick a defensive liability, but I'm not sure who on their bench other than Kerwin Walton can shoot well enough to make that plausible, but he's played all of 5 minutes in this tournament and just 15 in the last month.

I know UNC is the feel good story, but I really like Kansas in tonight's matchup.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #224 on: April 04, 2022, 08:21:14 AM »

He'll be fine, Coach K rubbed his belly.