'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Zion  (Read 17826 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Re: Zion
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2019, 11:20:21 PM »
Lyft and Uber do that, because of the risk of damaging the brand if there are any incidents related to lack of experience, particularly due to people being both young and inexperienced.

The NBA has an age restriction, because of a risk of damaging the brand due to incidents related to lack of experience, particularly due to people being both young and inexperienced.

There was largely an age vs. ability argument. One could be a NASCAR star, but be disallowed from driving for Lyft because of age.

The NBA has an age restriction because they have a free minor league system (the NCAA) and don't want to spend the money developing young talent.  So they banned them from getting drafted via an age restriction.

See Mark Cuban, he has repeatedly said as much.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:30:27 PM by Rick Majerus' Towel »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2019, 11:28:49 PM »
Lyft and Uber do that, because of the risk of damaging the brand if there are any incidents related to lack of experience, particularly due to people being both young and inexperienced.

The NBA has an age restriction, because of a risk of damaging the brand due to incidents related to lack of experience, particularly due to people being both young and inexperienced.

There was largely an age vs. ability argument. One could be a NASCAR star, but be disallowed from driving for Lyft because of age.

Interesting argument; interesting subject.

Would an 18 year old be any more capable of damaging the NBA brand than a 19 year old? Probably not, although I understand the point you are trying to make.

I understand the rule in football. It is mainly for player safety. But, for the NBA, it is simply arbitrary. I agree that MOST 18 year olds are not ready physically and basketball-wise. But if drafted and they are not ready, that is exactly what the G League is for.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2019, 11:30:16 PM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2019, 11:46:50 PM »
President: 35
Senator: 30
US House Rep: 25

Pretty sure this would fall under the heading of age requirements created by law. You know, the Constitution and all that. Same with the giant military age limit graphic you posted.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2019, 11:52:10 PM »
I've said this on other topics but I'll say it here as well. There is so much to be outraged at in the world. I'm sorry, but I personally don't have enough outrage to spare that Zion Williamson will only get $5 Million if this knee sprain somehow turns into a serious injury that sidelines him for his career. Kudos to you if you have enough stamina to be outraged at that injustice and still have enough outrage left for all the other travesties in the world that I think most would agree are a little more deserving of our attention. I personally am limited.

And before Heise jumps on me, I'll repeat again, I am for ending the one and done rule. That is an NBA issue, not an NCAA one. Personally, I've never believed that the player's union is as for ending one and done as they publicly say they are.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2019, 11:57:55 PM »

No, the soon-to-be-former age restriction had nothing to do with damaging the brand. I mean, did KG, LeBron, Kobe, Tracy McGrady and Amar'e Stoudemire damage the NBA brand by going straight to the NBA? Most would say they enhanced the brand.
The age restriction was put in place for two reasons: team officials wanted another year to scout players against better than HS competition and the players association reluctantly went along to win concessions on the salary cap.

And now that Adam Silver finally appears ready to end the restriction, after a couple of years of talking about it, doesn't that kind of eliminate the "damaging the brand" argument?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2019, 12:01:30 AM »
I've said this on other topics but I'll say it here as well. There is so much to be outraged at in the world. I'm sorry, but I personally don't have enough outrage to spare that Zion Williamson will only get $5 Million if this knee sprain somehow turns into a serious injury that sidelines him for his career. Kudos to you if you have enough stamina to be outraged at that injustice and still have enough outrage left for all the other travesties in the world that I think most would agree are a little more deserving of our attention. I personally am limited.

And before Heise jumps on me, I'll repeat again, I am for ending the one and done rule. That is an NBA issue, not an NCAA one. Personally, I've never believed that the player's union is as for ending one and done as they publicly say they are.

FYI ... one can disagree with and debate the NBA age restriction and still feel outrage at the real injustices of the world. It's not a zero sum game. I promise you, I won't be any less devastated by the next mass shooting in a school because I think the NBA rule is dumb.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2019, 12:04:32 AM »
FYI ... one can disagree with and debate the NBA age restriction and still feel outrage at the real injustices of the world. It's not a zero sum game. I promise you, I won't be any less devastated by the next mass shooting in a school because I think the NBA rule is dumb.

Honestly wasn't directed at you. I haven't seen any outrage from you on this topic. Just normal civil conversation.
TAMU

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2019, 08:30:07 AM »

Fair enough, just as I won't feel any less devastated also by the deaths of Americans by people legally not allowed to be in this country.  All kinds of real injustices in the world, as you point out with mass shootings and I point out in other areas....true injustices.  The NBA rule is dumb, but it certainly isn't a real injustice in the world, and to your point not a zero sum game.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2019, 08:31:54 AM »
Try renting a car under the age of 21, only a few states allow it.

Will it damage the brand, yes and no.  Absolutely the NBA will end up drafting kids that are total busts at a higher rate than they do today because the body of work will not be there.  That will take a hit to the NBA, however, some of these young guys will do great and that will enhance.

Just make it happen already. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2019, 08:38:20 AM »
Fair enough, just as I won't feel any less devastated also by the deaths of Americans by people legally not allowed to be in this country.  All kinds of real injustices in the world, as you point out with mass shootings and I point out in other areas....true injustices.  The NBA rule is dumb, but it certainly isn't a real injustice in the world, and to your point not a zero sum game.

For someone who doesn't miss an opportunity to point out MU82 bringing politics into discussions I have to give you props for being able to stay away from doing the same thing yourself chicos...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2019, 08:45:40 AM »
Some other age restricted jobs

Police = 21 for most jurisdictions
Commercial Pilots have a max age
Bartender - roughly half the states require min age of 21

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2019, 09:24:32 AM »

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2019, 10:48:15 AM »
For someone who doesn't miss an opportunity to point out MU82 bringing politics into discussions I have to give you props for being able to stay away from doing the same thing yourself chicos...

Agree.  Now he wants to quantify injustices. Pathetic.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2019, 10:58:01 AM »
Mr. Barkley....the court is yours

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/zion-williamson-injury-duke-charles-barkley/amp

Basketball player who took money while in college believes basketball players should not receive money while in college.  :o

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2019, 11:05:46 AM »
Mr. Barkley....the court is yours

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/zion-williamson-injury-duke-charles-barkley/amp

Two things abour Sir Charles comments ....

“I hate the people who are trying to talk about Nike. Yes, I’m on Nike’s payroll. We don’t have no problem with our shoes.

I’ve given him props that he says out loud that he is carrying the water for his paymaster.

When did we get to the point where all people care about is money? Shaq played college for two years — three. Kenny played for four, I played for three, Michael Jordan played for three, Tim Duncan played for four, David Robinson played for four. Some of the greatest players ever — Wilt Chamberlain, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson — played. When did we get to the point where you’ve got clowns on television saying, ‘Oh, don’t play.’ That’s what you do, Ernie. That’s what we do. We play basketball.

“I don’t ever want to see anybody get hurt. This kid looks like he’s going to be a fantastic player. But I get so mad when people act like money’s the only thing that matters in the world. Like, ‘Oh dude, you’re going to go in the NBA. Don’t play.’ I mean, that’s ridiculous.”

Charles, the difference is you have money and Zion does not.  In fact you have enough money to pay a lawyer to get you out of the clink becuase you wanted a streetwalker to give you a hummer.  But I digress.

Charles, here is what has changed. Zion has a $50 to $70 million payday coming in four months (June draft).  All he has to do is two things ... not get hurt and not die before draft day.  That’s it.

This money will change his life.  You already made the money that has changed your life (and get you those amazing hummers).  Zion should focus on that payday.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 11:07:28 AM by Rick Majerus' Towel »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2019, 11:56:02 AM »
Charles, the difference is you have money and Zion does not.

That might technically but true...but at this point isn't Zion guaranteed at least $8 million, 5 million after taxes by your estimate? Yes I understand that is a fraction of what he will get if he stays healthy, but that certainly seems like life changing money to me.

I've never had $5 million before. I doubt I will make $5 million in my lifetime, before or after taxes. I would like to believe that if I had that much financial security, I would care less about the total amount of money I will make and more about doing things in life that I'm passionate about.

Put another way, I think that if given the choice between $5 million and playing for a national championship, I would take the $5 million. If given the choice between $5 million/playing for an NCAA championship (plus a good chance that I will not suffer a career ending injury which happens to what, .2% of college basketball players?) and $50 million or whatever it is Zion is worth, I think I would take option A. I know others would take option B and that's fine. Different strokes for different folks. But I don't Sir Charles' argument is a bad one.
TAMU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2019, 11:59:41 AM »
I’ll play along for fun.

Let’s pretend Zion comes back and shreds his knee. Do people really believe he will go undradted won’t get a shoe deal?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2019, 12:20:29 PM »
I’ll play along for fun.

Let’s pretend Zion comes back and shreds his knee. Do people really believe he will go undradted won’t get a shoe deal?

See Narlens Noel, he was projected by many to be the first pick of the 2013.  He shredded his knee at Kentucky and was picked 6th, and never recovered and is a journeyman making a fraction of his pre injury potential.

Ditto Derek Rose, MVP before he was hurt, nothing close to that after.

So, if he shreds his knee, he still makes millions, but risks tens of millions more in potential.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2019, 12:23:42 PM »
I’ll play along for fun.

He'll be drafted and get a shoe deal.
But he'll be drafted lower and the shoe deal could be substantially less.
He's taking a multimillion dollar roll of the dice every time he steps on the court.
If he's willing to do that, more power to him. But he should be free to make that choice and people should respect his right to make it.

Anyone want to calculate how much spending a year at Mizzou cost Michael Porter?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2019, 12:25:16 PM »
Players shouldn’t even step on a basketball court until their rookie contract is up then I guess.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2019, 12:29:01 PM »
Players shouldn’t even step on a basketball court until their rookie contract is up then I guess.

I suspect that would be a legal violation of their rookie contract, rendering it null and void and preventing that second contract. 
Probably wouldn't play well with sponsors either, voiding those deals.

What was your point, again?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2019, 12:37:59 PM »
I suspect that would be a legal violation of their rookie contract, rendering it null and void and preventing that second contract. 

That he's at worst the 3rd pick in the NBA Draft this season even if he does shred his knee.

I just love the reaction to this.  The guy has a minor knee sprain and may not miss a single game because of it, yet he needs to stop playing immediately or he's risking millions of dollars...even though he's still going to get those millions of dollars even if he does blow out his knee, which he won't.

If Duke or Kentucky cared 1 iota about their players they'd just fold their seasons.  Make sure the kids are healthy.

I'd argue Ja Morant, RJ Barrett, Cam Reddish, etc. are risking far more than Zion is by playing.  By a wide margin really.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2019, 12:41:11 PM »

So it is okay to violate their scholarship agreement, but not their rookie contract? Would it prevent them from getting a second contract? I honestly don't know.

The sponsorship thing I get, though I think they may let those infractions slide once the rookie contract is up and the player starts playing again.
TAMU

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2019, 12:48:40 PM »

TAMU, We use our outrage, stamina, time and energy on a lot of innane things in this world including 14461 All-American Posts on www.muscoop.com. I hope we can shift our resources to the "travesties in the world" some...move the needle a little. But can we be righteous about it?

feedback