[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Surprised this hasn’t happened more  (Read 16475 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Surprised this hasn’t happened more
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2019, 12:02:43 PM »
Let me get back to the core issue here.

The dude who decided to create a maintenance problem for a 737 out of Miami and then was caught before the plane reached the air should and has been charged with interfering with the operation of an aircraft. Because federal charges were brought against him, the likelihood of acquittal is very low (federal prosecutors tend to being things that are overwhelmingly in their favor). And, because the defendant is in the federal system, he'll be in jail for a long time.

As a regular on a U.S. airline, I'm grateful for both the systems that caught the problem and the federal prosecutors for making sure this doesn't happen again.

On the DUI issue, our court system has come a long way in 40 years. We're tough on DUI for the same reason we're tough on the airline mechanic: too many lives have been ended or ruined by irresponsible intoxicated operation of a motor vehicle. I don't care what you call the offense, as long as it's severely punished.

Unfortunately that is not likely to happen.  He originally pled not guilty and faced 20 years if found guilty.  He instead agreed to a plea deal and will get far far less....sadly.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2019, 02:16:09 PM »
Uhm, I said he should be in my opinion.

Glad you are in favor of putting people in jail for a crime for which there was no evidence to suggest they are guilty.  Quite the tyrant you are.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2019, 02:16:45 PM »
The not-at-all trivial fact Cheeks and dgies are missing/ignoring here is that the defendant in this case took a plea deal under which he'll do up to three years in prison (and almost certainly less when all is said and done).

There is ZERO chance a U.S. attorney and a federal judge (both appointed by Republican presidents, if that matters to tou) agree to those terms if they thought for one moment that this guy was trying to bring down a plane and murder some 150 people, or even they thought his actions created a likelihood of that occurring.

Cheeks somehow acting like this proves he was right all along is hilarious. This plea deal proves that no one in authority believes this guy was a serious threat to hurt anyone or had the intention to do so.

Thanks for the clearification.  Good news!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2019, 03:12:04 PM »

Glad you are in favor of putting people in jail for a crime for which there was no evidence to suggest they are guilty.  Quite the tyrant you are.

When certain types of people - let's say MLB executives named Brandon - are guilty of wrongdoing, Cheeks thinks it's unfair to impose punishment because we can't ever know his true intent.
When other types of people - let's say working class guys named Abdul-Majeed - are guilty of wrongdoing, they must face the most extreme punishment possible, whatever his intent might have been.
Weird.

To borrow a phrase you wrote in another thread, Cheeks should have just taken the 'L.' But that's impossible, because he knows better than everyone, including the federal prosecutors and judge who've reviewed all the evidence.
#cheeksneverwrong
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 03:17:41 PM by Pakuni »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2019, 04:00:18 PM »

He tried to sabotage a plane which had 150 people on it.  He admitted to trying to sabotage an aircraft, but he said he meant no harm.  If that plane had taken off and if (yes, if) it crashed and people died, it would not have mattered if he meant harm or not. 

I'm a tyrant?  No...I just don't give passes to people that are pouting about their labor issues and decide to mess with safety systems on commercial aircraft and then say cut the guy a break.  I call it common sense.  Then again, I'm one of those tyrants I guess that watches people walk into an APPLE STORE, steal a phone in broad daylight and walk out with it knowing there is nothing that can now be done about it here.  Just thumb their nose at all the regulars who are paying their phones.  Same guy, can come back 15 minutes later and do it again.  Each event, individualized, and below $900 in value.....yup, I'm a tyrant.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2019, 04:02:16 PM »
When certain types of people - let's say MLB executives named Brandon - are guilty of wrongdoing, Cheeks thinks it's unfair to impose punishment because we can't ever know his true intent.
When other types of people - let's say working class guys named Abdul-Majeed - are guilty of wrongdoing, they must face the most extreme punishment possible, whatever his intent might have been.
Weird.

To borrow a phrase you wrote in another thread, Cheeks should have just taken the 'L.' But that's impossible, because he knows better than everyone, including the federal prosecutors and judge who've reviewed all the evidence.
#cheeksneverwrong

#fakenews   I said we need to find intent and have no problem with the guy getting fired once that information was provided on his actions.  It was the rush to judgment before we had that information.  Good try CHuckles

You leave out ALL the facts and only provide the parts that suit you...why am I not surprised.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2019, 04:11:21 PM »
He tried to sabotage a plane which had 150 people on it.  He admitted to trying to sabotage an aircraft, but he said he meant no harm.  If that plane had taken off and if (yes, if) it crashed and people died, it would not have mattered if he meant harm or not. 

And this is where you illustrate how pathetically out of your element you are here.
In this country, we do not hand out punishments based on the worst possible one-in-a-million outcome of someone's offense.
Someone driving past a stop sign could cause a crash with another vehicle. And that vehicle could be a minivan carrying a family of eight. And the impact of the crash could kill one or all of them.
Still, to my knowledge, nobody's ever been charged, convicted and sentenced to decades in prison on eight counts of manslaughter for rolling through a stop sign.
This is so, so, so dumb. You literally believe you understand the case better than the prosecutors and judge who had the evidence.
Must be what it's like for Neil deGrasse Tyson to discuss planetary physics with a flat earther.

Still, it's fun to watch you lash out like a three-year-old every time you're exposed.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 04:13:18 PM by Pakuni »

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2019, 04:17:06 PM »

But it didn't crash and people didn't die.  And there is no evidence to suggest that he intented for either to occur.  That's the point.

I'm a tyrant?  No...I just don't give passes to people that are pouting about their labor issues and decide to mess with safety systems on commercial aircraft and then say cut the guy a break.  I call it common sense.  Then again, I'm one of those tyrants I guess that watches people walk into an APPLE STORE, steal a phone in broad daylight and walk out with it knowing there is nothing that can now be done about it here.  Just thumb their nose at all the regulars who are paying their phones.  Same guy, can come back 15 minutes later and do it again.  Each event, individualized, and below $900 in value.....yup, I'm a tyrant.

OK...no idea how this is relevant in any way.  But I guess that's part of your schtick.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2019, 04:18:40 PM »
And this is where you illustrate how pathetically out of your element you are here.
In this country, we do not hand out punishments based on the worst possible one-in-a-million outcome of someone's offense.
Someone driving past a stop sign could cause a crash with another vehicle. And that vehicle could be a minivan carrying a family of eight. And the impact of the crash could kill one or all of them.
Still, to my knowledge, nobody's ever been charged, convicted and sentenced to decades in prison on eight counts of manslaughter for rolling through a stop sign.
This is so, so, so dumb. You literally believe you understand the case better than the prosecutors and judge who had the evidence.
Must be what it's like for Neil deGrasse Tyson to discuss planetary physics with a flat earther.

Still, it's fun to watch you lash out like a three-year-old every time you're exposed.
Really, seems some are trying to do that right now in front of all the public to see....but I digress.

Are you equivocating rolling through a stop sign to purposefully sabotaging part of a plane's safety systems?   What about a car rolling through a stop sign in which the brake lines were purposely cut (sabotaged) by someone and the car hit and killed a kid...that would have been a much better example than the lame one you brought up.

I would like to applaud you for playing the race and affluency card, however.  Like I give one damn where the guy was from, what his name was and whether he was middle class or not....he sabotaged a plane. PERIOD.  But of course as is the pattern here by certain people, that's where you go. 

Do you have any opinions on Idaho you would like to share? I think TSmith has some.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2019, 04:20:44 PM »
Just reporting what the media said.  If you are saying the media is wrong in how they described it....verbatim...”plead guilty for trying to destroy a plane”....read yesterday’s articles....if you are saying the media is out of their element, well don’t let me slow you down.

Out of their element

http://www.mercurynews.com/tracy-man-pleads-guilty-to-attempting-to-destroy-aircraft

https://wsvn.com/news/local/former-american-airlines-mechanic-pleads-guilty-to-attempted-aircraft-destruction/

And on and on and on....

A post of you now defending the accuracy of the media?!? Now I’ve seen everything.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2019, 04:22:45 PM »
But it didn't crash and people didn't die.  And there is no evidence to suggest that he intented for either to occur.  That's the point.

OK...no idea how this is relevant in any way.  But I guess that's part of your schtick.

Yup, and sometimes we have punishments for certain crimes based on what COULD HAVE happened.  Surely you know this.  Based on the potential risk of bodily harm, injury, death to others...whether it occurs or not.  All I'm saying is that should have been considered here....but you know, I have it out for airline mechanics that have names that aren't Judeo Christian per Pakuni.....apparently the whole sabotaging the plane thing we will just ignore, it's because of the guy's name.  Sweet Jesus.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2019, 04:24:34 PM »
A post of you now defending the accuracy of the media?!? Now I’ve seen everything.

You should read more often, I defend them plenty when they do their damn job right, don't spike stories, make up lies, etc.  I've also said here there are many great, honest journalists.  It's the pretty boys that I don't care about that totally abuse their calling to public in the pursuit of truth when they do exactly the opposite.  You really need to read more Jables.  Happy to provide links for you.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2019, 04:35:52 PM »
You should read more often, I defend them plenty when they do their damn job right, don't spike stories, make up lies, etc.  I've also said here there are many great, honest journalists.  It's the pretty boys that I don't care about that totally abuse their calling to public in the pursuit of truth when they do exactly the opposite.  You really need to read more Jables.  Happy to provide links for you.

And you should practice what you preach. Despite your misguided belief you are not an authority on every single topic that comes up in every thread on this board.

Reading articles and posting them doesn’t make you an expert. I could read a thousand articles on brain surgery. Doesn’t make me an expert.

Do you honestly think that so many people disagree and take issue with you simply because they don’t like you? Or do you think maybe it’s more likely due to the fact that you hijack every single topic by promising to link articles that you’ve read, name dropping people that no one gives a flying fart about or calling everyone out for even the slightest mention of politics and then (completely unironically I might add) bringing them up yourself.

Go ahead and get the last word in. It’s what you do. But remember, self-awareness is an extremely power thing.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2019, 04:43:31 PM »
And you should practice what you preach. Despite your misguided belief you are not an authority on every single topic that comes up in every thread on this board.

Reading articles and posting them doesn’t make you an expert. I could read a thousand articles on brain surgery. Doesn’t make me an expert.

Do you honestly think that so many people disagree and take issue with you simply because they don’t like you? Or do you think maybe it’s more likely due to the fact that you hijack every single topic by promising to link articles that you’ve read, name dropping people that no one gives a flying fart about or calling everyone out for even the slightest mention of politics and then (completely unironically I might add) bringing them up yourself.

Go ahead and get the last word in. It’s what you do. But remember, self-awareness is an extremely power thing.

I know I am not an authority on every topic on this board (nor have I ever claimed to be)....so welcome to accusing me of something you just did yourself.

Agree, reading articles and posting them doesn't make anyone an expert.  That wasn't the point, but whatever.

Hijack EVERY SINGLE TOPIC....fakenews.  Lazy.  False.    I name drop exactly for that reason, because I know it irritates some of you and because it is 100% true of those people I am mentioning....guilty pleasure knowing both are true.  Put me on ignore, very simple to do.

I give what I get here.  If people call me out for politics, I will do the exact same thing to them when they do it.  Watching your hypocrisy and others over it only reinforces the selective outrage.

Oh, I will get the last word in because so much of what you said was false....what is also a powerful thing is refuting falsehoods.  There are hundreds of threads I don't even participate in...so how am I hijacking EVERY SINGLE TOPIC?  LOL.  Let alone claiming to be an authority on it. 

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2019, 04:55:02 PM »
I know I am not an authority on every topic on this board (nor have I ever claimed to be)....so welcome to accusing me of something you just did yourself.

Agree, reading articles and posting them doesn't make anyone an expert.  That wasn't the point, but whatever.

Hijack EVERY SINGLE TOPIC....fakenews.  Lazy.  False.    I name drop exactly for that reason, because I know it irritates some of you and because it is 100% true of those people I am mentioning....guilty pleasure knowing both are true.  Put me on ignore, very simple to do.

I give what I get here.  If people call me out for politics, I will do the exact same thing to them when they do it.  Watching your hypocrisy and others over it only reinforces the selective outrage.

Oh, I will get the last word in because so much of what you said was false....what is also a powerful thing is refuting falsehoods.  There are hundreds of threads I don't even participate in...so how am I hijacking EVERY SINGLE TOPIC?  LOL.  Let alone claiming to be an authority on it.

Thank God you’re too busy to post during work hours.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2019, 01:32:45 AM »
Thank God you’re too busy to post during work hours.

Thank God I took this week off....allowed me to do a few things today

Mowed the front and back lawns
Fixed the Christmas lights on one of our palm trees
Dealt with the body shop (my son and I were in a car accident 10 days ago, fortunately not our fault and no injuries...but lots of damage to my pick up truck...picked him up from airport After flying in from Milwaukee)
Sold my wife’s iPhone since she got a new one for Christmas
Did four loads of laundry
Helped my daughter with her college applications due early next week
Wrote some thank you cards for Christmas gifts
Sent a few emails for work
Took out all the recycling and garbage for tomorrow morning’s pickup
Had a nice 20 minute convo with the neighbor who recently retired and he’s moving out of state
Spoke to my mom on the phone...I call her 4 or 5 days a week to check in on her health
Hung up a wine artwork piece for my wife (she did have to work today)
Took the dog on a walk
Installed the Roomba (gift for house) and watched the dog go nuts trying to attack it
Shared some thoughts here on Scoop......triggered several people on Scoop apparently

Slow day,  it nice to have the week off...first one I took all year long.

Merry Christmas
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 02:09:28 AM by Cheeks »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2019, 06:49:33 AM »
Me, I’m going ice fishing today.

Hopefully streaming the game on my tablet too.

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2019, 08:13:29 AM »
Yup, and sometimes we have punishments for certain crimes based on what COULD HAVE happened.  Surely you know this.  Based on the potential risk of bodily harm, injury, death to others...whether it occurs or not.  All I'm saying is that should have been considered here....but you know, I have it out for airline mechanics that have names that aren't Judeo Christian per Pakuni.....apparently the whole sabotaging the plane thing we will just ignore, it's because of the guy's name.  Sweet Jesus.

Of course you have crimes for things that might have caused harm.  That's why it is a crime to do what he did.  A 20 years sentence is way too harsh however.

But you are calling for attempted murder.  Which is insanely ridiculous because there is zero evidence to suggest he wanted to murder anyone. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2019, 08:43:10 PM »
Of course you have crimes for things that might have caused harm.  That's why it is a crime to do what he did.  A 20 years sentence is way too harsh however.

But you are calling for attempted murder.  Which is insanely ridiculous because there is zero evidence to suggest he wanted to murder anyone.

I find it insanely ridiculous someone tried to sabotage a commercial airliner with 150 people on it, admits he wouldn't put his family on the plane and he will get his hand slapped.

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2019, 08:48:02 PM »
I find it insanely ridiculous someone tried to sabotage a commercial airliner with 150 people on it, admits he wouldn't put his family on the plane and he will get his hand slapped.

Three years in federal prison for a crime that harmed no one isn’t a hand slap.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2019, 09:00:50 PM »

Please direct your outrage to the U.S
 Attorney for the Southern District of Florida. Explain to her how you know the proper disposition of her case.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2019, 11:23:46 AM »
I name drop exactly for that reason, because I know it irritates some of you...Watching your hypocrisy and others over it only reinforces the selective outrage...Oh, I will get the last word in

Sigh.

There was once a Scoop poster that was banned time and time and time again for being a miserable a-hole.  After yet another such banning, the poster once again created another user name and started posting, only this time he issued a lengthy apology claiming he had a change of heart.  His apology included these gems:

"First, let me come out and apologize. For being a hypocrite, offensive and challenging, fill in a bunch of other not so glowing terms."

And:

"My worst, my absolute worst about me came on this message board….and for that I apologize to you. The desire to be right all the time, push buttons, get the last word in, etc.  Just not good.  So vastly different to whom I am in the real world…shy, quiet, speak only when I need to make a point.  But not here. UGH. Embarrassing."

As well as:

"I’ll stand up and be the first to admit being an epic hypocrite on this over the years.  100%.  OWNING IT! The worst at times."

Now, Scoopers of good heart took this fellow at his word and were happy to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Others were more wary, given the poster's long string of bannings and consistently a-hole behavior.  And alas, it was this latter group who were correct, for within 24 hours said poster was once again arguing, "clarifying", and generally reverting to his a-hole behavior.

I say this because maybe, just maybe, you'd like to reflect on what the multi-banned poster said by way of apology, and perhaps even consider whether adopting such behavior in the New Year would be a better course than continuing to be a miserable a-hole hated by all.  It would be a nice New Year's resolution, though I admit the idea is probably far-fetched.  But here it is, in case you have a real change of heart.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=52588.0
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 11:34:27 AM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2019, 01:39:52 PM »
Sigh.

There was once a Scoop poster that was banned time and time and time again for being a miserable a-hole.  After yet another such banning, the poster once again created another user name and started posting, only this time he issued a lengthy apology claiming he had a change of heart.  His apology included these gems:

"First, let me come out and apologize. For being a hypocrite, offensive and challenging, fill in a bunch of other not so glowing terms."

And:

"My worst, my absolute worst about me came on this message board….and for that I apologize to you. The desire to be right all the time, push buttons, get the last word in, etc.  Just not good.  So vastly different to whom I am in the real world…shy, quiet, speak only when I need to make a point.  But not here. UGH. Embarrassing."

As well as:

"I’ll stand up and be the first to admit being an epic hypocrite on this over the years.  100%.  OWNING IT! The worst at times."

Now, Scoopers of good heart took this fellow at his word and were happy to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Others were more wary, given the poster's long string of bannings and consistently a-hole behavior.  And alas, it was this latter group who were correct, for within 24 hours said poster was once again arguing, "clarifying", and generally reverting to his a-hole behavior.

I say this because maybe, just maybe, you'd like to reflect on what the multi-banned poster said by way of apology, and perhaps even consider whether adopting such behavior in the New Year would be a better course than continuing to be a miserable a-hole hated by all.  It would be a nice New Year's resolution, though I admit the idea is probably far-fetched.  But here it is, in case you have a real change of heart.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=52588.0

Thanks for posting this.

Three hopes/requests: 

1.  Cheeks, please resist the urge to defend yourself against your own words.  Resist the urge to explain why "Cheeks" acts the way he does. Resist the urge to point out that others are hypocritical and/or constantly attacking "Cheeks" so it's only right that he respond.  Please note that I'm referring to "him" in the third person -- not second.  I know the real person who "plays" Cheeks on this board; I don't think he would be recognizable to those who only know "Cheeks" (just like I suspect "Cheeks" would be unrecognizable to many).  In the past, I've allowed my friendship with the real person to cause me to defend "Cheeks."  Increasingly, I've felt that they're not remotely the same and that "Cheeks" is often indefensible.

2.  For those of you who seem to relish trolling/attacking/baiting Cheeks, please resist the urge.  Resist constantly mentioning Cheeks in various threads. Resist trolling him hoping that he will relapse and prove you right yet again.  Many of you (some of whom I've had non-Scoop interactions with) also have turned into insufferable characters who I'm sure bear no resemblance to real people...at least I hope not.  By the way, thanks for an early start on this MU82. Please keep it up.

3.  Mods, if the event that the first two hopes/requests fall on deaf ears -- admittedly a fairly likely outcome -- please do not resist the urge to use the ban hammer.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2019, 01:42:07 PM »
Three years in federal prison for a crime that harmed no one isn’t a hand slap.

Compared to 20 it is....and can he get out in advance of three years for being a swell guy?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2019, 01:42:41 PM »
Please direct your outrage to the U.S
 Attorney for the Southern District of Florida. Explain to her how you know the proper disposition of her case.

I'd like to...can you provide an address?  Thanks

feedback