[Today at 10:42:24 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by Its DJOver
[Today at 10:35:46 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Road Ready  (Read 10236 times)

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
Road Ready
« on: January 11, 2020, 06:27:00 PM »
So the team seemed prepared and started strong on the road against a tough team.

Marquettes bigs got outplayed on both ends, and next years recruiting class addresses that weakness.

Markus has been allowed to showcase his offensive skills. This might help Marquette land Karim Mane and  secure a top ten recruiting class.

Guys missed open shots and key free throws and the game was still within reach with 5 mins to go.

This post is in response to the negative posts  appearing on scoop. It is intended to remind people that some good things are happening despite the doom and gloom some seem to thrive on.

Wojo had the team prepared, for a road game no less.

Wojo has addressed Marquettes lack of production from our bigs through his recruiting.

Wojo is attempting to address the departure of Markus Howard by enticing Karim Mane.

The team didn't stop fighting on the road but just couldn't hit shots.

This has been a public service announcement to promote a positive outlook on the future. You may return to your regular negativity now.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 06:35:55 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

94Warrior

• All American
Re: Road Ready
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 06:33:15 PM »
One-dimensional teams can look very good at times, UNTIL the opposition adjusts.

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 06:41:08 PM »
Next season will be the best one yet!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 06:42:27 PM »
So the team seemed prepared and started strong on the road against a tough team.

Marquettes bigs got outplayed on both ends, and next years recruiting class addresses that weakness.

Markus has been allowed to showcase his offensive skills. This might help Marquette land Karim Mane and  secure a top ten recruiting class.

Guys missed open shots and key free throws and the game was still within reach with 5 mins to go.

This post is in response to the negative posts  appearing on scoop. It is intended to remind people that some good things are happening despite the doom and gloom some seem to thrive on.

Wojo had the team prepared, for a road game no less.

Wojo has addressed Marquettes lack of production from our bigs through his recruiting.

Wojo is attempting to address the departure of Markus Howard by enticing Karim Mane.

The team didn't stop fighting on the road but just couldn't hit shots.

This has been a public service announcement to promote a positive outlook on the future. You may return to your regular negativity now.

Great...so it's all seashells and balloons for you I guess. He had them ready for a road game...yet, they just had an inexcusable loss at home to Providence. You wanna say these are positive things, that's fine, but you also have to acknowledge the negatives that have happened under him. That's going to take awhile, because there are TONS of them.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 06:43:21 PM »

Next season start the freshmen every game.  It really won’t matter.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 06:45:09 PM »
How soon you all forget we beat Central Arkansas by 48 this year. Historic achievement that we can hang our hats on

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 06:48:19 PM »
Great thread. Getting out to an early lead was all the moral victory we needed. Blue ribbons for all!
No Finish Line

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 06:50:54 PM »
One-dimensional teams can look very good at times, UNTIL the opposition adjusts.

Many have cited one of Wojos weaknesses as failing to have the team prepared and slow starts to games.
There was improvement today. On the road. That is a step forward

This team is still revamping after losing the Hausers. If Markus had left, and Sam and Joey had stayed, would Marquette be much better at this point?

Also..... Injuries to Theo, Koby, Jayce, and Greg aren't helping.
Yeah, I know, I know, excuses, excuses.
But seeing as another poster pointed out that SH was missing a player and suggested the score could have been worse, I feel justified in pointing it out.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 07:01:44 PM »
This is the first time all year, I have been so down on this team. I thought we had a chance to win the BE - but I can't see it now for several reasons.

1. The one thing that bothers me the most is lack of hustle and fight. I thought one play today encapsulated it all, Powell stole the ball and raced down court. I don't remember if it was Koby or Sacar that challenged him and he missed the layup. The problem was that no other MU player decided to run down court. When the breakaway missed, there were only 2 SH players - who HAD raced down court to get the rebound and lay it in. That should have been a timeout, start throwing sh*t moment by Wojo. Instead, nothing.

2. I did not realize earlier in the year, just how bad our post players were. Not one is even a mild offensive threat. They simply give the other team more points by constantly putting them in the bonus early in each half. On defense, the blocks do not make up for the myriad of times they are out of position resulting in layups or dunks.

3. Good teams have other things to fall back on when not shooting well. This team has no fallback.

4. The transfers have all been huge disappointments - Ed, Jayce, Koby. None are any better than mere 8-10 minute bench players on a good team - at best.

5. Most of these problems fall at the feet of Wojo who hasn't shown that he can either make adjustments or get to the next gear.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 07:02:16 PM »
How soon you all forget we beat Central Arkansas by 48 this year. Historic achievement that we can hang our hats on
Any chance we can get them on this years schedule for 5 more games to pad our record?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

connie

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 07:08:16 PM »

Lather, rinse, repeat, repeat, repeat...
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 07:08:34 PM »

I’ve been saying it...I’ve been saying it...ain’t I been saying it Miguel...

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2020, 07:10:25 PM »
Great...so it's all seashells and balloons for you I guess. He had them ready for a road game...yet, they just had an inexcusable loss at home to Providence. You wanna say these are positive things, that's fine, but you also have to acknowledge the negatives that have happened under him. That's going to take awhile, because there are TONS of them.

After the PC game I criticized Wojo for not having the team prepared. Yes I see having the team better prepared the next game as improvement. Especially on the road.

I don't exaggerate Wojos accomplishments and I don't minimize his failures.
I weigh both equally.
The balance was close enough that this incoming recruiting class tipped my opinion in favor of supporting another year.
If I included intangibles like the quality of his character, or how clean a program he ran it would only tip more in his favor.
My assessment of Wojos tenure is restricted to the teams on court performance year over year, exciting players, and recruiting. Thanks to this recruiting class he has my support.

warriors141

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2020, 07:16:54 PM »
yep, always next year. really no surprise we lost today. we suck and this program is crumbling apart. Thanks wojo and tools at the admin who hired him.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2020, 07:20:26 PM »
Many have cited one of Wojos weaknesses as failing to have the team prepared and slow starts to games.
There was improvement today. On the road. That is a step forward

This team is still revamping after losing the Hausers. If Markus had left, and Sam and Joey had stayed, would Marquette be much better at this point?

Also..... Injuries to Theo, Koby, Jayce, and Greg aren't helping.
Yeah, I know, I know, excuses, excuses.
But seeing as another poster pointed out that SH was missing a player and suggested the score could have been worse, I feel justified in pointing it out.
Sybil,
This is frickin year 6. Wojo damn well better know how to have the team ready. Step forward? After 5 plus years?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 07:26:35 PM by hairy worthen »

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2020, 07:22:28 PM »
This is the first time all year, I have been so down on this team. I thought we had a chance to win the BE - but I can't see it now for several reasons.

1. The one thing that bothers me the most is lack of hustle and fight. I thought one play today encapsulated it all, Powell stole the ball and raced down court. I don't remember if it was Koby or Sacar that challenged him and he missed the layup. The problem was that no other MU player decided to run down court. When the breakaway missed, there were only 2 SH players - who HAD raced down court to get the rebound and lay it in. That should have been a timeout, start throwing sh*t moment by Wojo. Instead, nothing. Consistent effort is not there.

2. I did not realize earlier in the year, just how bad our post players were. Not one is even a mild offensive threat. They simply give the other team more points by constantly putting them in the bonus early in each half. On defense, the blocks do not make up for the myriad of times they are out of position resulting in layups or dunks.  The 3 of them don't have a post move between them, defensively they can't defend without fouling, Jayce can rebound, Theo can block, Ed can ???

3. Good teams have other things to fall back on when not shooting well. This team has no fallback. Agree - one dimensional

4. The transfers have all been huge disappointments - Ed, Jayce, Koby. None are any better than mere 8-10 minute bench players on a good team - at best.  Ed - Agree, Jayce - Not looking good, Koby - Production does not match NBA talent/i]

5. Most of these problems fall at the feet of Wojo who hasn't shown that he can either make adjustments or get to the next gear.  True
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 07:24:33 PM by 94Warrior »

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2020, 07:22:56 PM »

1. The one thing that bothers me the most is lack of hustle and fight. I thought one play today encapsulated it all, Powell stole the ball and raced down court. I don't remember if it was Koby or Sacar that challenged him and he missed the layup. The problem was that no other MU player decided to run down court. When the breakaway missed, there were only 2 SH players - who HAD raced down court to get the rebound and lay it in. That should have been a timeout, start throwing sh*t moment by Wojo. Instead, nothing.

2. I did not realize earlier in the year, just how bad our post players were. Not one is even a mild offensive threat. They simply give the other team more points by constantly putting them in the bonus early in each half. On defense, the blocks do not make up for the myriad of times they are out of position resulting in layups or dunks.

3. Good teams have other things to fall back on when not shooting well. This team has no fallback.

4. The transfers have all been huge disappointments - Ed, Jayce, Koby. None are any better than mere 8-10 minute bench players on a good team - at best.

5. Most of these problems fall at the feet of Wojo who hasn't shown that he can either make adjustments or get to the next gear.

The bigs should never have been expected to do much offensively this year. If Koby had fulfilled his promise, and Sacar and Brendan had picked up the scoring slack, the bigs could have soaked up fouls and the team would have probably been OK. This loss and the rest of the season is on those three.
They've done it at times this year, and that's the problem. Those three players lack of consistent offensive production.
IMHO
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 07:41:56 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

connie

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2020, 07:36:40 PM »
The big should never have been expected to do much offensively this year. If Koby had fulfilled his promise, and Sacar and Brendan had picked up the scoring slack, the bigs could have soaked up fouls and the team would have probably been OK. This loss and the rest of the season is on those three.
They've done it at times this year, and that's the problem. Those three players lack of consistent offensive production.
IMHO
So, if two players had lived up to promise then we are ok with no offensive production from another three?  I guess you being positive means that twice a week you are soooooo close to winning Powerball!
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2020, 07:45:11 PM »
This Seton Hall game was the worst MU offensively efficient game in five seasons going back to Wojo's first year. Brutally ugly.

We talked about if MU had a flying chance of replacing the Hausers' value add,  it would have to be like the Moneyball A's...it would take a Village.  Sacar, Bailey, Koby with the bench. MU's bench in the past three games have been outscored 85-21 and 77-15 for the last two games. Those three starters were a combined 6-24 today from the field.

Time to bounce back and man up. I hope Wojo has the answers.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2020, 07:50:38 PM »
So, if two players had lived up to promise then we are ok with no offensive production from another three?  I guess you being positive means that twice a week you are soooooo close to winning Powerball!

I didn't say no offensive scoring, I said not much. The  onus is on Koby, Sacar, and Brendan. In our better wins, one, two, or all three produced. There's a pattern. The rest of the team needs to get hustle baskets and provide spot scoring.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2020, 08:00:23 PM »
Blah blah blah.

Doesn’t it get tiresome to have to rationalize and hunt and peck to find examples of “success” for a coach in the 6th season of his tenure?

Wojo had the guys ready to play a road game counts as a success? To me, a coach having his players ready to play is a basic requirement of his job. Anything less than that is a total failure.

I know what a successful program looks like. And this ain’t it.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2020, 08:12:43 PM »
After the PC game I criticized Wojo for not having the team prepared. Yes I see having the team better prepared the next game as improvement. Especially on the road.

I don't exaggerate Wojos accomplishments and I don't minimize his failures.
I weigh both equally.
The balance was close enough that this incoming recruiting class tipped my opinion in favor of supporting another year.
If I included intangibles like the quality of his character, or how clean a program he ran it would only tip more in his favor.
My assessment of Wojos tenure is restricted to the teams on court performance year over year, exciting players, and recruiting. Thanks to this recruiting class he has my support.

So in your mind today is one of accomplishment for Wojo because (for the first half of the first half anyway) he had them prepared (I.e., making shots).

Wow.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2020, 08:20:25 PM »
Road ready - lost by 14 (line was 6), was never a threat to win the game. 

But hey - that’s great....

muguru

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2020, 08:23:35 PM »
Road ready - lost by 14 (line was 6), was never a threat to win the game. 

But hey - that’s great....

But Wojo said the final score was deceiving! So we got that going for us anyway...

Look, it was a two-possession game (after McEwen's three) and we shot 19% from the field in the second half. So the score is a little bit deceiving.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2020, 08:28:02 PM »
Sybil,
This is frickin year 6. Wojo damn well better know how to have the team ready. Step forward? After 5 plus years?

People love to point out that the Hausers left and how important they were last year. I agree, they were, last year.

This is a new year and Wojo is having to retool the team. Sam and Joey averaged about 30 mins a game at their positions. That is a heck of a lot to replace.

This years guys don't have the chemistry that the brothers had and that takes time. I've seen flashes, like the Villanova game, and during the point swing in the PC game, but not often enough during all conference games.

If Wojo did have his top three scorers back from last year I would agree that the teams subpar performance to date was a serious indictment of his coaching. But he doesn't. I won't play the blame game with the Hausers as long as people don't act like their departure didn't create challenges for Wojo and the team. It did.