[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ND blog  (Read 10208 times)

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
Re: ND blog
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 05:42:49 PM »
I, for one, plan on acting like a crazy soccer hooligan at the ND game and any ND fans in my section are going to get an earful. 
There's being a good fan and then there's being a jackass. Let the ND people be the latter, eh?

Yeah, don't be "that guy" that the opposing fans think is a douche. I encountered a few at Madison this year. Cheer loud for MU but don't be a douche.

Can I say douche here? Sorry if I can't.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 07:18:41 PM »
I, for one, plan on acting like a crazy soccer hooligan at the ND game and any ND fans in my section are going to get an earful. 
There's being a good fan and then there's being a jackass. Let the ND people be the latter, eh?

Yeah, don't be "that guy" that the opposing fans think is a douche. I encountered a few at Madison this year. Cheer loud for MU but don't be a douche.

Can I say douche here? Sorry if I can't.

After getting trashed thrown at me @ ND last year. Be a slight douche.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 07:27:38 PM »
Best thing I saw at Notre Dame was the "I Closed Wolskis" sticker on the seating section sign.  Priceless.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
Someone also shook a bible at me during a timeout after the student section threw objects at Fitz.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 07:53:24 PM »
Notre Dame actually suspended McNearny, which is more than most teams would have done. Notre Dame handled that situation correctly.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2008, 08:33:59 PM »
Notre Dame actually suspended McNearny, which is more than most teams would have done. Notre Dame handled that situation correctly.

I believe you mean McAlarney. I think he should have been disciplined, but a whole season may have been excessive.

Pardner

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2008, 09:20:50 PM »

I believe you mean McAlarney. I think he should have been disciplined, but a whole season may have been excessive.
Off season, the Milwaukee cops caught Bo Ellis once with a dime bag of pot, which he was fined for.  At the first game of the season, Al  turned down the lights, gave Bo the mic, had him go to at half court and apologize in person to the school, team and city.  Al taught responsibility and accountability--and he knew kids made mistakes.  Bo is Mr. Marquette today.  End of story.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2008, 01:11:42 PM »
Someone also shook a bible at me during a timeout after the student section threw objects at Fitz.

Can you really shake a Bible at fan of another Catholic school? That's like using the "God's on our side" chant against another Catholic school.

I guess that just shows a thing or two about those dumb ND fans...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2008, 05:01:23 PM »

Can you really shake a Bible at fan of another Catholic school? That's like using the "God's on our side" chant against another Catholic school.

And they were OLD!

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2008, 05:04:14 PM »

And they were OLD!

"I guess they're right... Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose!"

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2008, 10:41:48 AM »

So, are there any good "soccer hooligan" stories to share from the game?  I bet DonCornholeone got in a fist fight with one of their cheerleaders after she shook a bible in his face.

Share some of the conflict, get me fired up for the next game...because you know they will be.  Domers are already talking on their boards about paying this one back.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2008, 01:52:45 PM »
I may have drunkly harassed Haragody's parents all game long.

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2008, 03:01:45 PM »
Nothing too bad, but there was a bunch of ND fans up in 426, a section over from where I was.....but they were OLD, I mean all of them, REAL OLD.

All I could really muster up to them was to keep waving "buh-bye", especially after we got up twenty. Every time I wanted to start trash talking a picture of my Grandmother flashed through my head and I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 04:16:03 PM »
Nothing too bad, but there was a bunch of ND fans up in 426, a section over from where I was.....but they were OLD, I mean all of them, REAL OLD.

All I could really muster up to them was to keep waving "buh-bye", especially after we got up twenty. Every time I wanted to start trash talking a picture of my Grandmother flashed through my head and I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
Reminds me of the most offensive/funniest trash talking I've ever witnessed: Following the 2003 Louisville game (the Reece Gaines game), some old woman in her 70s was walking around in Cardinals gear whooping it up and acting like excited fans do, when some drunk MU student runs up and literally gets in her face and screams, "Louisville sucks d***, and so do you, b****!"

Awful, awful thing to do ... but man, that took away some of the sting, I tell you what.

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 05:00:04 PM »
Objecting to crude behavior, or objecting to the celebrating of crude behavior, isn't totally necessary. I don't need to be the cop, but I do it anyway sometimes, just to serve notice that everyone here isn't your age, and everyone here doesn't subscribe to it.

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2008, 05:30:04 PM »
yes, kyle (pot head) McAlarney is a prime example of their respectability.

I'm sorry but using pot does not make someone a bad person. He appears to be a respectable kid (and good player). I think we were all ready for Saunders to be a Warrior and he got busted for pot. Had we still taken him, I doubt you'd be tearing him apart for it.

Tear em' apart for their smugness and arrogance, not petty stuff like this.

Good point, chunk.  To add to this, I wouldn't bash him for using pot -- that's really not something to get on somebody for -- but I'd bash him for being an idiot for getting caught.  Really, is it that tough to keep the weed (and any and all paraphernalia) in an apartment?  The "pothead" chants that were circulating in some parts of the student section were rather stupid because I'd guess that half the kids chanting have done or are doing pot (as you mentioned).

EDIT:  Bleh -- I see I'm late to the party and most of this has been mentioned.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 05:34:57 PM by CWSKeith »

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2008, 05:56:03 PM »

I'm sorry but using pot does not make someone a bad person. He appears to be a respectable kid (and good player). I think we were all ready for Saunders to be a Warrior and he got busted for pot. Had we still taken him, I doubt you'd be tearing him apart for it.

Good point, chunk.  To add to this, I wouldn't bash him for using pot -- that's really not something to get on somebody for -- but I'd bash him for being an idiot for getting caught.  Really, is it that tough to keep the weed (and any and all paraphernalia) in an apartment?  The "pothead" chants that were circulating in some parts of the student section were rather stupid because I'd guess that half the kids chanting have done or are doing pot (as you mentioned).

I think guessing that 50% of the mu student body smokes pot is a gross over estimate.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2008, 05:58:16 PM »

I think guessing that 50% of the mu student body smokes pot is a gross over estimate.

An extreme over estimate. You'd be lucky to get 20% of students that were frequent users.

Steak

• Walk-On
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2008, 06:27:25 PM »
It's either right-on, or an underestimate.

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2008, 08:36:55 PM »

Read what I said -- "have done or are doing".  Maybe a little bit of an exaggeration, sure, but definitely not "gross". 

And again, he smoked pot...  so what.  That's really not a huge problem and "pothead!  pothead!" is stupid and uncreative.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2008, 10:31:23 PM »

My apologies. Yes I'd say at least 50% of the student body has at least tried pot.

Read what I said -- "have done or are doing".  Maybe a little bit of an exaggeration, sure, but definitely not "gross". 

And again, he smoked pot...  so what.  That's really not a huge problem and "pothead!  pothead!" is stupid and uncreative.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2008, 01:03:50 AM »

Either way I think it's a bit high. (no pun intended)  And believe me i'm not one to criticize him in respect, but i still would have joined in, unless I had one i thought was better, which i can't... do you have any suggestions?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2008, 08:46:14 AM »

Reminds me of the most offensive/funniest trash talking I've ever witnessed: Following the 2003 Louisville game (the Reece Gaines game), some old woman in her 70s was walking around in Cardinals gear whooping it up and acting like excited fans do, when some drunk MU student runs up and literally gets in her face and screams, "Louisville sucks d***, and so do you, b****!"

Awful, awful thing to do ... but man, that took away some of the sting, I tell you what.

You're right... that is awful (but funny)... but that whole scene was just awful. MU loses on a last second shot, and then all of the Louisville fans stand outside the Bradley dancing around in their leather Louisville jackets (I've never seen a school where so many fans had school logo'd leather jackets, but I digress).

Anyways, I can't blame the UofL fans for being excited and celebrating, but it made my blood (which was probably .25% alcohol at that point) boil. I'm not into yelling at other fans that much, but I'll admit I had some choice words for some UofL fans that day.

Man, I was pissed.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2008, 09:50:07 AM »

Either way I think it's a bit high. (no pun intended)  And believe me i'm not one to criticize him in respect, but i still would have joined in, unless I had one i thought was better, which i can't... do you have any suggestions?

Considering the national average for college students having smoked pot in the previous year is about 30% and in their lifetime at 47%, I do not think MU is much different that an average college campus. So I don't think his figures are too far off.

http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/drugfact/marijuana/index.html
But I like to throw handfuls...

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2008, 10:03:38 AM »

isnt this the same board that just last thursday or friday was urging students to get rowdy and chide the other team like they did in the old days? and now people are saying that chanting "pothead" was stupid. What should have been chanted? "Where's Digger now?" I mean come on. At least there was some chiding going on. My favorite was the "McAlarney wants a doobie" chant that i heard.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

feedback