[May 06, 2024, 10:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfers out of MU  (Read 10198 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Transfers out of MU
« on: December 10, 2014, 08:58:04 AM »
Decided to take a look at the transfers out of the program since Buzz took over. Four of them were contributors at a high major level after leaving, and three of them left with Crean. The majority of players who left the program weren't able to cut it at a high-major level, for one reason or another. Something to keep in mind when you're tempted to freak out about Burton and Dawson leaving.

Christopherson- Had a nice career at Iowa State, over 13 ppg as a Junior/Senior.
Mbakwe- Averaged close to a double-double over three years at Minnesota.
Williams- Averaged 8 ppg for his career at Ole Miss.
Hazel- Averaged 7 and 5 as a Senior at BU.
Maymon- Averaged 9 and 7 over his career at Tennessee.
Roseboro- 6 ppg for UMBC as a Senior last year.
Mbao- Scored 29 points in 3 years at Marshall.
Smith- Did nothing at UNLV, averaging 7 ppg at Eastern Illinois.
Taylor- Averaging 10 and 4 at North Texas.
Jones- Doing well at FGCU, averaging 12 and 6.
Ferguson- 4.2 ppg at NC Central
McKay- TBD

madtownwarrior

• All American
Re: Transfers out of MU
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 09:06:48 AM »
Nice summary - thanks.   Now only if some of the scoop posters would transfer out with them....

I don't understand the trashing of the coach or the players - no one really knows the situation but to expect complete harmony and perfect fit for players not recruited by the coach is not reality.   Additionally, in today's sports world, players expect playing time and success immediately (and often are advised to by their close supporters) and seek where they can get playing time.

It may work out best for Burton and Dawson somewhere else.  It may work out better for Wojo to have the right players he recruits.   To trash either side is ridiculous...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 09:10:24 AM »
Decided to take a look at the transfers out of the program since Buzz took over. Four of them were contributors at a high major level after leaving, and three of them left with Crean. The majority of players who left the program weren't able to cut it at a high-major level, for one reason or another. Something to keep in mind when you're tempted to freak out about Burton and Dawson leaving.

Christopherson- Had a nice career at Iowa State, over 13 ppg as a Junior/Senior.
Mbakwe- Averaged close to a double-double over three years at Minnesota.
Williams- Averaged 8 ppg for his career at Ole Miss.
Hazel- Averaged 7 and 5 as a Senior at BU.
Maymon- Averaged 9 and 7 over his career at Tennessee.
Roseboro- 6 ppg for UMBC as a Senior last year.
Mbao- Scored 29 points in 3 years at Marshall.
Smith- Did nothing at UNLV, averaging 7 ppg at Eastern Illinois.
Taylor- Averaging 10 and 4 at North Texas.
Jones- Doing well at FGCU, averaging 12 and 6.
Ferguson- 4.2 ppg at NC Central
McKay- TBD

Nick Williams never played for us, so I wouldn't call him a "transfer."

You did however miss Erik Williams. Who ended up averaging 8.5 and 4.5 for the Bearkats of Sam Houston State. Just down the road from me.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 09:18:04 AM »
I just went to TCU's roster to look up Arron Durley and he wasn't listed. Whatever happened to him?
Bring back FFP!!!

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 09:19:04 AM »
I just went to TCU's roster to look up Arron Durley and he wasn't listed. Whatever happened to him?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=aaron+durley

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 09:22:04 AM »
Nick Williams never played for us, so I wouldn't call him a "transfer."

You did however miss Erik Williams. Who ended up averaging 8.5 and 4.5 for the Bearkats of Sam Houston State. Just down the road from me.

Williams put up those numbers in just 2 games though. Not sure what happened to him after that.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 09:24:14 AM »
Williams put up those numbers in just 2 games though. Not sure what happened to him after that.

You're right TAMU, I did miss Erik Williams. He stopped playing after that, not sure why.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 09:30:33 AM »

Injuries.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/04/aaron-durleys-career-at-tcu-cut-short-due-to-injuries.html/

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 09:46:21 AM »
You're right TAMU, I did miss Erik Williams. He stopped playing after that, not sure why.

Tried looking him up a few weeks ago.  Other than playing in a Houston summer rec league/pro-am thing last summer, nothing found.  Was a strange two games at SHSU; he took 21 threes in 42 minutes (only made five) and was off the team after that.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 09:48:53 AM »
This list tells me that the majority of transfers out probably helped MU...as many players either ended up having variable results at mid-majors (Hazel, Roseboro, Taylor, Mbao, Ferguson, E. Williams), and another (Smith) tried a high major and failed there.

Guys like Christopherson, Mbakwe and Maymon certainly had high major success elsewhere, and Jamail seems to be doing quite well at FGCU, but they were in the minority.  And at least in Maymon's case and perhaps Mbakwe's , it's pretty hard to blame that transfer on the coaching staff.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 11:00:25 AM »
Transfers happen all of the time.   They will continue to happen.    The sun came up today and it will tomorrow.    Just hope MU can avoid injuries.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 11:04:35 AM »
Transfers happen all of the time.   They will continue to happen.    The sun came up today and it will tomorrow.    Just hope MU can avoid injuries.

Clearly you don't live in Chicago or else you would know there is no sun today and it's all because of Burton 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 11:57:50 AM »
Am I the only who who, when a player transfers out of MU, thinks, "Well, if they don't want to be here then good luck to them. Hope they find what they're looking for somewhere else."

Maybe I'm lucky in this regard. I always felt this way about employees that quit or whatever. Basically my feeling is if you don't want to be a part of the organization, then I don't want you around and I wish you the best of luck in the future.

Dawson seems like a really good kid. Burton has the makings of a solid college player. In the end, I just really hope the best for them in hoops and in life, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
We Are Marquette

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 05:19:58 PM »
Am I the only who who, when a player transfers out of MU, thinks, "Well, if they don't want to be here then good luck to them. Hope they find what they're looking for somewhere else."

Maybe I'm lucky in this regard. I always felt this way about employees that quit or whatever. Basically my feeling is if you don't want to be a part of the organization, then I don't want you around and I wish you the best of luck in the future.

Dawson seems like a really good kid. Burton has the makings of a solid college player. In the end, I just really hope the best for them in hoops and in life, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

You're not the only one.  I feel that way 100% and there are definitely other such comments mixed in these threads.  These are kids who are deciding what is best for their own lives.
If they transfer, best of luck to them, and I'd gladly root for them when playing anyone but us.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 06:11:41 PM »

You aren't the only one.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 06:18:52 PM »

Yes I agree with you but also I kinda think some players rush into the decision and that they actually could be happy here.  Not basing this off anything other than me when I was 19 being a little impulsive and getting cabin fever in the dorms. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 06:29:33 PM »
When players transfer it is like a child leaving the nest early to pursue some ill fated dream instead of staying home and going to med school like you always envisioned. You shake your head, maybe pull some hair out if your head, but generally keep caring for them.

When coaches leave like Buzz leaving and Crean leaving, well that is a bit more like finding out your spouse is actually a drunk adulterer who is mentally unstable (or you are, does it really matter). We are talking Dwade type nasty divorces.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 07:46:49 PM »

Well put.  Agree completely.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 11:08:01 PM »
This is only one side of the transfer perspective.

You have to also look at who replaced them on the roster or who was able to garner more minutes when they left.

Net gain, net loss sort of thing.
SS Marquette

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 11:16:11 PM »
This is only one side of the transfer perspective.

It was meant to be.

For some reason, this board tends to overrate the sh*t out of players after they transfer. I put the list together to show that the vast majority of times it's because they can't hack it at this level.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 11:25:34 PM »
It was meant to be.

For some reason, this board tends to overrate the sh*t out of players after they transfer. I put the list together to show that the vast majority of times it's because they can't hack it at this level.

Fan12 - You seem to have a pretty good insight to things relating to the program - and don't seem too concerned about losing Burton.  What's your take on him elsewhere - how do you think he'll rank on that list of former transfers you put together?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 11:57:40 PM »
What's your take on him elsewhere - how do you think he'll rank on that list of former transfers you put together?

My gut feeling is he'll be similar to Maymon. Solid college player. He's got the athleticism to be better than that, but whoever gets him next is gonna have to break him of a lot of bad habits. If they can get through to him, they'll have a really good player on their hands.

As an aside, I get frustrated when I see people blaming Wojo for this. Wouldn't his job would be a ton easier if Deonte was engaged and playing well? He and the staff tried everything to get that out of him, but it didn't work. The reason for his lack of minutes was no secret to Burton. He moves on, and MU moves on. No ill will from me.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 12:11:15 AM »
My gut feeling is he'll be similar to Maymon. Solid college player. He's got the athleticism to be better than that, but whoever gets him next is gonna have to break him of a lot of bad habits. If they can get through to him, they'll have a really good player on their hands.

As an aside, I get frustrated when I see people blaming Wojo for this. Wouldn't his job would be a ton easier if Deonte was engaged and playing well? He and the staff tried everything to get that out of him, but it didn't work. The reason for his lack of minutes was no secret to Burton. He moves on, and MU moves on. No ill will from me.

I'd say that's a good call on Maymon+ 

I'm not sure how I feel about Deonte's transfer as far as do I absolve Wojo and staff or feel they should hold some accountability for it not working out.  I guess in my view, Deonte is the kid - 20 - and just dealt with a tough loss in his life.  If he's not quite all the way there, or engaged as you might like as a coach - but you clearly see the talent (as Wojo did based on his early comments upon the hire) - maybe you cut the kid a little slack, and give him more run than you might want to.  Obviously basketball is a big love in the kids life, and when he is likely struggling personally, but then also struggling to absorb/adapt what you are trying to coach him up to be/into - let him get on the floor and play some major minutes and hopefully feel good about himself.  (Instead of having to second guess himself/wonder about his future on the team/with the program.)

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 12:49:20 AM »
I'd say that's a good call on Maymon+ 

I'm not sure how I feel about Deonte's transfer as far as do I absolve Wojo and staff or feel they should hold some accountability for it not working out.  I guess in my view, Deonte is the kid - 20 - and just dealt with a tough loss in his life.  If he's not quite all the way there, or engaged as you might like as a coach - but you clearly see the talent (as Wojo did based on his early comments upon the hire) - maybe you cut the kid a little slack, and give him more run than you might want to.  Obviously basketball is a big love in the kids life, and when he is likely struggling personally, but then also struggling to absorb/adapt what you are trying to coach him up to be/into - let him get on the floor and play some major minutes and hopefully feel good about himself.  (Instead of having to second guess himself/wonder about his future on the team/with the program.)

+1

Might be your most insightful post I've seen Ners.

I understand if Wojo told Deonte that his playing time will increase when he does a, b and c but in this instance with the kid obviously struggling with outside circumstance the appropriate thing to say is simply 'You're an integral part of our program and we want you' without the 'but' that would normally follow.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 08:23:45 AM »
Obviously basketball is a big love in the kids life, and when he is likely struggling personally, but then also struggling to absorb/adapt what you are trying to coach him up to be/into - let him get on the floor and play some major minutes and hopefully feel good about himself.

The problem with that is it undermines his standing with the rest of the team. If a kid isn't doing enough in practice, and is hurting the team during games, what message does that send if you give him major minutes? Could create a whole other set of issues.

feedback