[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big get for the Big East  (Read 10193 times)

Wade-A-Minute

• Walk-On
Big get for the Big East
« on: September 10, 2014, 05:43:20 PM »
5 star Jalen Brunson committed to 'Nova today. 247 sports has him in their top 20.

Johnny B

• All American
Re: Big get for the Big East
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 05:44:49 PM »
Very good news thought Nova was losing a bit, but they bounce right back.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 05:58:48 PM »
Wow, i thought that Temple had given his dad an assistant's job and had him locked up.  Great get for the BEast
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 06:22:53 PM »
I don't understand this whole "great get for the Big east" thing.  Did we ever say that about Cuse or Louisville in previous years? I don't remember doing that.  So why now? And we shouldn't treat it like a coup these are kids who are coming to us because of our powerful traditions we should stop being all buddy buddy if we want any rivalries and fun in this conference.
Maigh Eo for Sam

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 06:27:31 PM »
Because the old big east had a lot of dominant teams we could count on year after year. That's not the case for the current big east that needs the strong to continue being strong.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 06:28:58 PM »
Wow, i thought that Temple had given his dad an assistant's job and had him locked up.  Great get for the BEast

Dad was arrested for sexual assault back in July....so I don't think that was happening any more.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 06:39:56 PM »
I don't understand this whole "great get for the Big east" thing.  Did we ever say that about Cuse or Louisville in previous years? I don't remember doing that.  So why now? And we shouldn't treat it like a coup these are kids who are coming to us because of our powerful traditions we should stop being all buddy buddy if we want any rivalries and fun in this conference.
Ahh.. you slow? JK but seroiusly, the old big east we always had dominant teams that could recruit and we knew there be multiple top 25 teams every year. Now we are a rising smaller confrence with less teams and questionable confrence direction. Were glad that Nova landed a 5 star because it means nova can still be dominant and hopefully boost the confrence s a whole. This is why smaller confrences tend to root for eachother in the tourney,they want that confrence exposure.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 06:41:17 PM »
Because the old big east had a lot of dominant teams we could count on year after year. That's not the case for the current big east that needs the strong to continue being strong.

Yeah you're right Xavier Marquette GTown and Nova have been terrible this millennium.

39, 16S16 of which 7 were at least E8, 3 of which were FF.  That's just the four teams that have killed it in this modern era.  I mean it seems to me that were good enough to not be BFFs with eachother.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 07:14:04 PM »
I always wanted talent to go to the other BEast teams when they weren't coming to us (except Notre Dame). But it's even more critical now. Like it or not, we are somewhere between the 4th and 7th strongest conference. If we ever want to get back to the top 3....or avoid falling to mid major status....we need all the talent possible to be going to the BEast. 2015 is looking great for Marquette and Georgetown. The others aren't doing as hot.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 07:15:07 PM »
I always wanted talent to go to the other BEast teams when they weren't coming to us (except Notre Dame). But it's even more critical now. Like it or not, we are somewhere between the 4th and 7th strongest conference. If we ever want to get back to the top 3....or avoid falling to mid major status....we need all the talent possible to be going to the BEast. 2015 is looking great for Marquette and Georgetown. The others aren't doing as hot.
Nova?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 07:21:41 PM »

I agree I want the talent to go there but I mean Jesus Christ we act like were all butt buddies and yet wonder why there's no real rivalries? It's stupid to me. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 07:29:34 PM »

Dad was arrested for sexual assault back in July....so I don't think that was happening any more.

And was posing as Patrick Ewing. Seriously.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 07:32:14 PM »
Also was down to Nova and Illinois for final 2. I'm not sure what it means exactly, but it's cool to see that a Big East team can compete against big schools for recruits. That's all.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 07:33:32 PM »
I agree I want the talent to go there but I mean Jesus Christ we act like were all butt buddies and yet wonder why there's no real rivalries? It's stupid to me. 
There are rivalries , that is what makes this an interesting conference .  Reality is that in the early years of this new structure it is in Marquettes interest to see Villanova and other traditional powers stay strong . This is a media driven world and we need as many top 25 teams as possible. Villanova and Georgetown are very desirable places to go to school and I think they will continue to have success recruiting. I think their rising tide will help St. John's revive which is vital to keeping MSG for the conference tourney. We benefit because we can tell recruits they will be playing against strong competition in our conference.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 08:24:34 PM »

Really?

Rivalries aren't created by dopes like you and me on a fan board.

Rivalries are created by the players on the court and the coaches on the sideline. Rivalries are created by Kim Hughes' dad and Digger being a douche and Mo Lucas body-slamming somebody and Buzz dancing on the court and Al being Al.

Your post reminds me of when somebody says something about a game in three weeks and some yahoo inevitably responds: "Let's take them one at a time." As if it effen matters if we take them one at a time or six at a time.

I know this might shock you: Sometimes, it isn't about us.

And, for the record, I'm also glad Nova got this kid. This isn't the same Big East, most of us want the conference to be representative, and the only way that happens is if the teams successfully recruit great players.

Sorry if by writing that last paragraph I ruined (or prevented) the famed Marquette-Villanova rivalry.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 08:29:01 PM »
Really?

Rivalries aren't created by dopes like you and me on a fan board.

Rivalries are created by the players on the court and the coaches on the sideline. Rivalries are created by Kim Hughes' dad and Digger being a douche and Mo Lucas body-slamming somebody and Buzz dancing on the court and Al being Al.

Your post reminds me of when somebody says something about a game in three weeks and some yahoo inevitably responds: "Let's take them one at a time." As if it effen matters if we take them one at a time or six at a time.

I know this might shock you: Sometimes, it isn't about us.

And, for the record, I'm also glad Nova got this kid. This isn't the same Big East, most of us want the conference to be representative, and the only way that happens is if the teams successfully recruit great players.

Sorry if by writing that last paragraph I ruined (or prevented) the famed Marquette-Villanova rivalry.

Wow arguing with the wife tonight and decide to take it out on me? Gosh I must've struck a chord with you or something.  But regarding how rivalries are made: the start isn't to blush for every good player a different school gets.  Your yahoo board connection makes no sense whatsoever but if you'd like to attempt to explain that one in a manner that makes sense I'd be happy to read it :)

The famed MU nova rivalry? When did I say that? Now you're just putting words into my mouth which isn't a very mature arguing tactic.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 09:41:05 PM »

The conference is young, we need many programs to do well and build some momentum.  With the old Big East, that wasn't an issue.  For the first few years, I believe we want as many programs to land as many good kids as possible.  We want this to be a perrenial 5 team league bid if possible, not a 2 or 3 team league.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 09:57:24 PM »
Yeah you're right Xavier Marquette GTown and Nova have been terrible this millennium.

39, 16S16 of which 7 were at least E8, 3 of which were FF.  That's just the four teams that have killed it in this modern era.  I mean it seems to me that were good enough to not be BFFs with eachother.
It only matters how they do in the New Big East and they all sucked to various degrees last year and that includes Villanova. The league needs a lot more success in NCAA tournament to be considered a top league.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 10:09:56 PM »
The conference is young, we need many programs to do well and build some momentum.  With the old Big East, that wasn't an issue.  For the first few years, I believe we want as many programs to land as many good kids as possible.  We want this to be a perrenial 5 team league bid if possible, not a 2 or 3 team league.
I'll save the hate for down the line, this conference needs all the ammo it can right now to re-establish itself. The hate will come though, I didn't appreciate taking 2 ass whuppins from Creighton last year so they're moving up on my list.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 10:19:13 PM »
Wow arguing with the wife tonight and decide to take it out on me? Gosh I must've struck a chord with you or something.  But regarding how rivalries are made: the start isn't to blush for every good player a different school gets.  Your yahoo board connection makes no sense whatsoever but if you'd like to attempt to explain that one in a manner that makes sense I'd be happy to read it :)

The famed MU nova rivalry? When did I say that? Now you're just putting words into my mouth which isn't a very mature arguing tactic.

Mrs. MU82 and I had a lovely dinner. No arguments. Just kissed her goodnight. Though thanks for asking.

"yahoo" wasn't a reference to the Yahoo! site. It was another way to say dope.

Nobody said anything about an MU-Nova rivalry and I wasn't trying to put words or anything else in your mouth. It was me being facetious.

You said "we should stop being all buddy buddy if we want any rivalries and fun in this conference," and the point I was trying to make in rebuttal was that whether or not a bunch of Internet posters act "buddy buddy" will have zero impact on any potential rivalries.

Capiche?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 10:30:05 PM »
Mrs. MU82 and I had a lovely dinner. No arguments. Just kissed her goodnight. Though thanks for asking.

Nobody said anything about an MU-Nova rivalry and I wasn't trying to put words or anything else in your mouth. It was me being facetious.

You said "we should stop being all buddy buddy if we want any rivalries and fun in this conference," and the point I was trying to make in rebuttal was that whether or not a bunch of Internet posters act "buddy buddy" will have zero impact on any potential rivalries.

Capiche?

Gotta side with Piper here. Unlike the scenario where a fan says "take it one game at a time," fans DO have an impact on rivalries developing. Players and coaches do too, but fan hatred is one element of a rivalry. Your analogy doesn't really hold up.

That said, I'm glad nova got this guy. The current big east is young and vulnerable, and needs to land guys like this. Developing rivalries and hating when your rivals land a stud can come later
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:32:02 PM by Bleuteaux »

ronald dragon

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 11:26:27 PM »
I want the Big East to get to recruits because I want us going up against the best competition we can.  Makes for good SOS and it's more fun playing good teams.

boyonthedock

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 12:13:35 AM »
Team MU82

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 08:53:07 AM »
Two of my best friends went to Nova therefore they're my most hated team in the conference. I wanted Scottie Reynolds dead when he was playing because the guy absolutely crushed us. I don't think I ever hated a guy more, but I got sweet justice when he became the first All American not to get drafted.

In saying that, I'm very happy this guy is going to Nova and joining the Big East. Now it's time for Duane, Dawson, and Nick N to school his ass for the next 4 years (starting next year).
Bring back FFP!!!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 10:11:38 AM »

Capiche?

Glad you and mrs are good you came off very angry in your post. Perhaps it's just a natural personality trait for you then?

I see thank you for clarifying that yahoo reference I guess it makes sense my generation doesn't really think of that term as an insult.

Well when you said "hope I didn't ruin the famed MU-Nova rivalry" you brought it up out of nowhere and seeing as I never indicated an existing rivalry perhaps you could see how you come off as putting words in my mouth? Though I will admit to loathing nova due to Scotty Reynolds and always want revenge.

Rivalries are not just made by the games. Was there be any bad blood between us and ND when we started playing them? Well if there was it's because of our perception of the school that we just don't like. With ND gone (this is just one example) we need to start hating new schools. Not saying I'm not happy they got him, I am but in the sense that a few posters echoed about wanting us to kick his a$$ the next 4 years.  There's a difference in tone about "good we want to beat the best" and "yay this is one small step for Nova, one giant leap for the big east"
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 10:56:25 AM »
Kid is a stud. He's gonna give MU problems for a year. Then he'll go pro.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 11:21:41 AM »
Kid is a stud. He's gonna give MU problems for a year. Then he'll go pro.

I don' know, Arci will be a senior when Brunson is a freshman. I think Brunson might have to wait a season to even start. He doesn't strike me as a one and done.

But he will definitely give us some problems in the future.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 11:25:27 AM »
I don' know, Arci will be a senior when Brunson is a freshman. I think Brunson might have to wait a season to even start. He doesn't strike me as a one and done.

But he will definitely give us some problems in the future.

My Nova friend told me they're gonna move Arci to shooting guard and Brunson will start. He followed this recruitment closely.
Bring back FFP!!!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 11:39:47 AM »
My Nova friend told me they're gonna move Arci to shooting guard and Brunson will start. He followed this recruitment closely.

As well they should. With that backcourt, that Nova team should be rivaling the Scotty Reynolds team. Wouldn't be surprised to see Jay Wright go back to a 4 guard lineup in 2015-16

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2014, 11:42:05 AM »

I might have agreed with you in the past, but given the current landscape in college sports we're in an "us against the world" situation with the "P5" conferences trying to make us irrelevant.  This creates a bigger reason to stick together and hope everyone does well when they're not playing us.  I want our conference to stay competitive so we stay competitive.  I want the other Big East teams to get good recruits to field good teams, and I want us to be better and beat them every year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 11:50:16 AM »
Glad you and mrs are good you came off very angry in your post. Perhaps it's just a natural personality trait for you then?

I see thank you for clarifying that yahoo reference I guess it makes sense my generation doesn't really think of that term as an insult.

Well when you said "hope I didn't ruin the famed MU-Nova rivalry" you brought it up out of nowhere and seeing as I never indicated an existing rivalry perhaps you could see how you come off as putting words in my mouth? Though I will admit to loathing nova due to Scotty Reynolds and always want revenge.

Rivalries are not just made by the games. Was there be any bad blood between us and ND when we started playing them? Well if there was it's because of our perception of the school that we just don't like. With ND gone (this is just one example) we need to start hating new schools. Not saying I'm not happy they got him, I am but in the sense that a few posters echoed about wanting us to kick his a$$ the next 4 years.  There's a difference in tone about "good we want to beat the best" and "yay this is one small step for Nova, one giant leap for the big east"

Thanks for clarifying your remarks. Makes more sense to me now.

I didn't get the perception that any of the earlier posters suggested we should kiss the keisters of either Nova or the recruit, only that they were happy the Big East - which has been criticized as unable to recruit top talent - was bringing in a stud. But hey, you're free to believe what you want.

Lastly, I am about the least-angry guy I know. Maybe I was "pointed" in my response and that came across as anger?

I have an incredible wife, great kids who are grown and on their own, a paid-off house in a nice neighborhood, financial independence, good friends and a completely stress-free existence. I have nothing to be angry about, and those who know me would agree that anger is not one of my go-to emotions. Goofiness and immaturity, perhaps, but not anger.

Have a good one.

feedback