'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SOTG  (Read 10212 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: SOTG
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2014, 02:30:25 PM »
Jake.  He dominated early.  Gardner was a beast, but at least part of that was help from the refs.

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2014, 03:58:32 PM »
It is Davante Gardner.

It continues to amaze me that is taken for granted by this board. This guy is the ONLY consistent clutch player on the team. If you watch enough games it is obvious that his team mates know this, because when the game is on the line, he the one to whom they all look.

And, despite the almost constant harping about his defense, Otule is statistically only marginally better. Davante leads the team is rebounds, and has a knack of getting key rebounds, as in the last one to secure the win.

Goodness, give the man his due.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2014, 04:19:59 PM »
Jake,
DG was awesome the last 10
Jake the first 30

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2014, 04:30:02 PM »
Mods, you have the SOTG picture already up. Just change the stats and we're good..!!!!   Two up, two down!!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 04:31:39 PM by Sunbelt15 »

drbchilds

• Starter
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2014, 05:30:16 PM »
Davante

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2014, 05:36:22 PM »
It is Davante Gardner.

It continues to amaze me that is taken for granted by this board. This guy is the ONLY consistent clutch player on the team. If you watch enough games it is obvious that his team mates know this, because when the game is on the line, he the one to whom they all look.

And, despite the almost constant harping about his defense, Otule is statistically only marginally better. Davante leads the team is rebounds, and has a knack of getting key rebounds, as in the last one to secure the win.

well, except for the games Mayo has basically won/kept us in...

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2014, 06:51:26 PM »
It is Davante Gardner.

Can somebody point me to where the data showing this is located?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2014, 07:55:36 PM »
Ask mattyv. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2014, 09:10:48 PM »
I'll repeat this from another post, as I keep seeing it brought up in multiple threads.

The ppp vs. Otule on post ups is .575, in the 90th percentile of all college players. For Ox, it's a respectable .784, in the 60th percentile. Not to mention that Otule has been posted up  3 more times than Gardner. Chris struggles closing out shooters, but he is elite when it comes to the low post.

Assigning defensive win shares is speculative and made even more so when a player is routinely subbed out for defensive possessions. But as it pertains to these two, Otule is more than marginally better.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2014, 09:19:50 PM »
Jake.  He dominated early.  Gardner was a beast, but at least part of that was help from the refs.

While I have said that if we don't go the tie route I would give me vote to Ox. I certainly couldn't argue if Jake did end up winning it.

That said, you can't say part of it was help from the refs.

They were calling fouls all game on everyone so it wasn't just special treatment. He played to the way the game was being called. That deserves props right there. If the refs are calling fouls keep powering in down low. Also, no matter how a game is called...Davante usually gets to the line regardless.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2014, 09:52:49 PM »
I'll repeat this from another post, as I keep seeing it brought up in multiple threads.

The ppp vs. Otule on post ups is .575, in the 90th percentile of all college players. For Ox, it's a respectable .784, in the 60th percentile. Not to mention that Otule has been posted up  3 more times than Gardner. Chris struggles closing out shooters, but he is elite when it comes to the low post.

Assigning defensive win shares is speculative and made even more so when a player is routinely subbed out for defensive possessions. But as it pertains to these two, Otule is more than marginally better.

Win shares potentially, but when you look at defensive ratings that factor in how many points opponents have scored over 100 possessions it isn't a factor for offensive/defensive substitutions or pace of play.  For the season Chris Otule has a defensive rating of 102.7 points given up per 100 defensive possessions he's on the floor.  Davante Gardner has a defensive rating of 103.6 points given up per 100 defensive possessions he's on the floor.  Neither is elite but neither is a defensive liability based on those numbers.  A major discrepancy would be comparing Juan Anderson (our highest rated defender) to Jake Thomas (our lowest rated defender).  Considering Gardner and Otule have each played against every opponent this season, how can you account for other team's averaging less than a single point differential over 100 possessions (much more than a single game's worth I'd add) if one was a vastly different defender than the other?

It is a balancing act, but not a defensive one is what I'd argue considering Gardner's offensive efficiency rating is light years better than any other player we have including Otule. 
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

muchamps

• Walk-On
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2014, 10:04:16 PM »
Gardner

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2014, 01:23:38 AM »
I really wanted to vote for Jake until I went back and looked at the box score.  Davante was 8-10 FG and 10-12 FT.  AND he generated 16 or 17 fouls on their big men.  So, it's Davante, with a huge thanks to Jake for making it possible. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2014, 07:53:39 AM »
C'mon Mods. Give either Davante or Jake their time in the sun.  Another SOTG will have to be chosen tomorrow afternoon. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2014, 10:08:31 AM »
C'mon Mods. Give either Davante or Jake their time in the sun.  Another SOTG will have to be chosen tomorrow afternoon. 

Yeah, sorry, was too busy enjoying the snow here in CO.  I was originally going to give it to Jake, but you've all convinced me that Gardner should get it.