[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: S.O.T.G.  (Read 10210 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: S.T.O.G.
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2014, 09:27:29 PM »
Yeah I think ultimately its Davante. He made the clutch free throws.

Buzz being the fool he is had him on the bench for most of the second half and he never got in rhythm.

Really? I guess our success for the last 6 years was in spite of buzz? Only one fool here.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: S.T.O.G.
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2014, 09:29:02 PM »
Really? I guess our success for the last 6 years was in spite of buzz? Only one fool here.

....And were back.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

BenCat12

• Team Captain
Re: S.O.T.G.
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2014, 09:29:44 PM »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2014, 09:35:52 PM »
Otule

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2014, 09:50:35 PM »
The makeup of the team is Buzz's fault and we can hold him accountable for that. I just think this might be his best coaching job, because third place is amazing with the limitations this team has.

Yeah, I have said from the early part of this year that Buzz is paying the price for the recruiting mistakes especially in the back court.

Jamal Ferguson was a mistake.  Took the verbal too early from a guy who peaked early.
Jamail Jones was a mistake.  Just didn't pan out.
TJ Taylor...well...hard to blame Buzz for that one.
Vander Blue...not his fault

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2014, 09:50:47 PM »
Otule

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2014, 01:58:41 AM »
SOTG in regulation is Mayo easily

SOTG in overtime is Gardner

For what it's worth, and this is not a Derrick Wilson bash, but I think the difference between a comfortable blowout and an overtime nail biter is the great Gardner feed to Wilson that was bricked underneath the rim from point blank range that would have taken a 7 point lead to 9 and instead resulted in points on the other end.  I said to my wife and kids watching on PST after work without knowledge of the outcome that that miss would be critical and a turning point in the momentum of the game.  It's too bad the kid can't hit the broad side of a barn from gimmie range or this team would be significantly better.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2014, 02:10:36 AM »
Honerable mention:  Buzz Williams.  He kept Todd Mayo in the game despite his temporary lack of judgement.  We don't know what was said in the exchange between the two players but I think that was a huge leap of faith for Buzz to acknowledge Mayo's importance and leadership and will pay huge dividends next year regardless of this season's success.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2014, 03:37:05 AM »
SOTG in regulation is Mayo easily

SOTG in overtime is Gardner

For what it's worth, and this is not a Derrick Wilson bash, but I think the difference between a comfortable blowout and an overtime nail biter is the great Gardner feed to Wilson that was bricked underneath the rim from point blank range that would have taken a 7 point lead to 9 and instead resulted in points on the other end.  I said to my wife and kids watching on PST after work without knowledge of the outcome that that miss would be critical and a turning point in the momentum of the game.  It's too bad the kid can't hit the broad side of a barn from gimmie range or this team would be significantly better.

While I also don't want to sound like a Derrick hater, that was embarrassing.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2014, 03:38:08 AM »
No SOTG when we lose.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2014, 06:55:44 AM »
Gardner, with honorable mention to Todd Mayo.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2014, 09:22:52 AM »
Tough call - going with the Ox.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2014, 09:25:15 AM »
While I also don't want to sound like a Derrick hater, that was embarrassing.
How about DG going up soft for the layup that would have salted the game away?

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2014, 09:25:48 AM »
Otule

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2014, 09:30:30 AM »
How about DG going up soft for the layup that would have salted the game away?

Exactly. Derrick wasn't the only one to miss a bunny. The guy we're applauding for creating the opportunity for Derrick did the same thing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2014, 09:37:39 AM »
The makeup of the team is Buzz's fault and we can hold him accountable for that. I just think this might be his best coaching job, because third place is amazing with the limitations this team has.

I couldn't agree more.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2014, 09:54:21 AM »
Exactly. Derrick wasn't the only one to miss a bunny. The guy we're applauding for creating the opportunity for Derrick did the same thing.

Gardner's bunny was blocked, FYI.  And, Gardner has earned a little leeway considering he is the team's most efficient scorer, leading scorer, made clutch FT after FT down the stretch and finished with 22 points in 23 minutes.  A far cry from the other guy...who in 33 minutes against the worst team in conference delivered all of 3 points and 3 assists...but hey...he did make a LAYUP at a critical point in the game!!
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2014, 10:07:41 AM »
Are we seriously debating who had the worse missed lay up?

LOL....people need a little more perspective.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2014, 10:40:54 AM »
Are we seriously debating who had the worse missed lay up?

LOL....people need a little more perspective.

I agree, it is funny!!  Felt a little context and perspective needed to be added to wadesworld's decision to contrast the Wilson miss with the Gardner miss...hopefully wades will be able to understand a little better why some were frustrated with the easy missed layup of Derrick's, while Gardner was given a pass.   
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2014, 12:23:12 PM »
Gardner's bunny was blocked, FYI.  And, Gardner has earned a little leeway considering he is the team's most efficient scorer, leading scorer, made clutch FT after FT down the stretch and finished with 22 points in 23 minutes.  A far cry from the other guy...who in 33 minutes against the worst team in conference delivered all of 3 points and 3 assists...but hey...he did make a LAYUP at a critical point in the game!!
If he had been clutch at the line the game would never have gone to OT. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2014, 12:30:40 PM »
Honerable mention:  Buzz Williams.  He kept Todd Mayo in the game despite his temporary lack of judgement.  We don't know what was said in the exchange between the two players but I think that was a huge leap of faith for Buzz to acknowledge Mayo's importance and leadership and will pay huge dividends next year regardless of this season's success.

I actually thought the exact same thing. Buzz is starting to gain trust in Mayo.  I also think that Mayo very rarely shows emotion so something like that is abnormal and you don't need to set him down, in contrast to a guy like Gardner that lets his emotions get the best of him sometime.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2014, 12:47:21 PM »

Maybe if our starting PG who got 28 minutes in regulation, made just a single basket, scored a single point..the game wouldn't have gone to OT.

But to your point... Gardner has been a huge failure this season. He's let the team down so much.  Gets to deal with double teams every game, and not seeing the ball frequently due to the paint area being packed with an extra defender due to our PG not commanding any respect on the perimeter, and thereby not needing to be guarded and allowing the extra defender into the paint.

Man, if only Gardner had better leadership skills...maybe he could exert his influence on the other team's coach and suggest they man up and defend Derrick all over the court.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2014, 12:49:02 PM »

What?

You boozing on this fine Sunday?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2014, 12:52:08 PM »
What?

You boozing on this fine Sunday?

Gardner went 1-2 on the FT line that would have put us up by 2 with thirty seconds left.

He made one...DPU missed the next shot....Jamil made 2...DPU sent it to OT with a 3.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2014, 12:53:43 PM »
Maybe if our starting PG who got 28 minutes in regulation, made just a single basket, scored a single point..the game wouldn't have gone to OT.

But to your point... Gardner has been a huge failure this season. He's let the team down so much.  Gets to deal with double teams every game, and not seeing the ball frequently due to the paint area being packed with an extra defender due to our PG not commanding any respect on the perimeter, and thereby not needing to be guarded and allowing the extra defender into the paint.

Man, if only Gardner had better leadership skills...maybe he could exert his influence on the other team's coach and suggest they man up and defend Derrick all over the court.

1) I agree with you: if Derrick had some offensive, there wouldn't be a constant double on DG
2) if Derrick and Jake cut to the hoop (or in Jakes case, slide beyond the three), then the PG trapped in PF's body could assist more
3) offense shouldn't run through DG, though they've forced that this season
SS Marquette