Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Butler loses 2nd player on team this year....Stevens recruit  (Read 10214 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Butler loses 2nd player on team this year....Stevens recruit
« on: February 16, 2014, 02:21:39 PM »
Second Stevens recruit didn't pan out and left the team.  Smeathers transferred earlier this year to Mount Saint Mary's.  Now Rene Castro will transfer as well.  Both were Stevens recruits.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Butler loses 2nd player on team this year....Stevens recruit
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 02:25:07 PM »
Time will tell if Butler was a good choice for membership...I'm beginning to have my doubts.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 02:29:53 PM »
Time will tell if Butler was a good choice for membership...I'm beginning to have my doubts.

Some might say the same thing about Marquette this year...

Death on call

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 02:32:00 PM »

they would be legitimately psychotic.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 02:42:25 PM »

Marquette has a sustained record of excellence in the BE.

Two years ago Butler was in the Horizon League.   Yeah they have won that league a number of times, but most of those schools are more like UWM and Loyola than they are like Georgetown and Villanova.  I wonder if taking the leap from the HL...to the A10....to the BE was too much too soon.

As I said, time will tell.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 02:54:12 PM »

Two years ago Butler was in the Horizon League.   Yeah they have won that league a number of times, but most of those schools are more like UWM and Loyola than they are like Georgetown and Villanova.  I wonder if taking the leap from the HL...to the A10....to the BE was too much too soon.

The key variables for their inclusion were academics, primacy of & commitment to basketball, and proximity. I think they are a solid add on that basis. If we wanted just #2 we would have invited UNLV.

They are having an off year but I feel they get a pass for being in transition. This is a program that has weathered successfully 3 previous coaching changes through adherence to a strict set of standards for managing their program. If recent history is indicative then Butler will be just fine. I am proud to have them in our stable as Butler is an excellent school committed to winning the right way.

Death on call

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 02:58:44 PM »
Even if Butler was an outlier because of Brad Stevens, the Big East brand alone should provide Butler a platform to succeed. I think they'll be fine in the long run.
We Are Marquette

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 02:59:06 PM »
The key variables for their inclusion were academics, primacy of & commitment to basketball, and proximity. I think they are a solid add on that basis. If we wanted just #2 we would have invited UNLV.

They are having an off year but I feel they get a pass for being in transition. This is a program that has weathered successfully 3 previous coaching changes through adherence to a strict set of standards for managing their program. If recent history is indicative then Butler will be just fine. I am proud to have them in our stable as Butler is an excellent school committed to winning the right way.

yeah but youre comment said that some may say the same about MU.

When we have sustained excellence and even in a down year of our own....happen to be tied for 3rd in the conference.

Like I said, if anyone actually said they were rethinking MU being a part of this conference they would be immediately sent to the nearest psych ward.

Us Nova Gtown are this league. And always will be.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 03:08:13 PM »
This again?
Butler made NCAA tournament appearances with the guy before Brad Stevens (Todd Lickliter).
Butler made NCAA tournament appearances with the guy before Todd Lickliter (Thad Matta)
Butler made NCAA tournament appearances with the guy before Thad Matta (Barry Collier).

I'm far less concerned with Butler's ability to build a winner in the new Big East than I am Seton Hall or Providence or DePaul. Is anyone really shocked that a team that lost its top three scores AND its coach from last year is having a bit of a rough go at it?
Would we be better off with Dayton right now?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 03:08:57 PM »

I think they might be ok, but one of the complaints about Stevens is that he couldn't recruit very well.  Certainly has some coaching chops, but their classes coming off the NCAA runs weren't what was expected, and the talent not good this year.  I've had more than a few folks in the industry say Brad got out because he knew they were going to get smoked this year in this conference because the recruits weren't capable.  They said this prior to the season starting.

Brad isn't stupid.  

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 03:09:09 PM »
yeah but youre comment said that some may say the same about MU.

When we have sustained excellence and even in a down year of our own....happen to be tied for 3rd in the conference.

Like I said, if anyone actually said they were rethinking MU being a part of this conference they would be immediately sent to the nearest psych ward.

Us Nova Gtown are this league. And always will be.

Hayward

Relax. It was hyperbole. As for there being a Big 3 bent on world domination I would caution against arrogance. I am sure Hitler was feeling pretty smug up until the 8th AF started destroying Germany city by city and there wasn't a damn thing he could do about it.

Death on call

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 03:09:17 PM »

Butler had many sweet 16 runs, well before the back to back Final Fours. Even went they went to their 2nd Final Four, UWM won the league.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 03:11:10 PM »
Hayward

Relax. It was hyperbole. As for there being a Big 3 bent on world domination I would caution against arrogance. I am sure Hitler was feeling pretty smug up until the 8th AF started destroying Germany city by city and there wasn't a damn thing he could do about it.

I am relaxed. I provided simple reasoning.

If anything you need to relax. You just used world domination and Hitler as a way to disprove Marquette being 1 of the 3 headlining teams in the Big East Men's Basketball conference.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 03:11:32 PM »
Brad isn't stupid.  

He was a single, successful guy who needed his freedom, But hardly stupid.

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 03:19:41 PM »
Butler will be the Butler we all knew for most of their history. Not surprised by this at all. Schools like Butler or SLU can have a run but long term not a program that you look to be an anchor in a conference.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 03:22:45 PM »
Butler had many sweet 16 runs, well before the back to back Final Fours. Even went they went to their 2nd Final Four, UWM won the league.

Actually they had 3...1962, 2003, 2007.  If that counts as "many" in your eyes, then that's fine.

This again?
Butler made NCAA tournament appearances with the guy before Brad Stevens (Todd Lickliter).
Butler made NCAA tournament appearances with the guy before Todd Lickliter (Thad Matta)
Butler made NCAA tournament appearances with the guy before Thad Matta (Barry Collier).

Again...by winning a lower level league.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 03:23:32 PM »
Give it time. remember, they beat us once this year.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 03:23:57 PM »

There were a couple other schools that fit those criteria.  The question is over the course of time, do they fit that criteria better than schools like Dayton or SLU.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 03:59:55 PM »
I wonder why Chicos started this thread.... Couldn't possibly be because Crean is sh*tting the bed and the IU fans are dreaming of Brad Stevens, could it? Desperate straw grabbing at its finest.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 04:00:23 PM »

Actually they had 3...1962, 2003, 2007.  If that counts as "many" in your eyes, then that's fine.

Again...by winning a lower level league.

Since 1980 they have made as more deep runs in the Dance than Marquette.

Death on call

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 04:12:20 PM »
I wonder why Chicos started this thread.... Couldn't possibly be because Crean is sh*tting the bed and the IU fans are dreaming of Brad Stevens, could it? Desperate straw grabbing at its finest.
You got it

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 04:30:03 PM »

Dude, you have the world's biggest hate woody for CBB. There was no need for this post. This thread had nothing to do with Crean or Indiana. You made it about them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 04:37:09 PM »
I brought up some concerns I had about Butler's recruiting in this thread.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=41881.0

Not only do they not have many quality recruits in tow, they are not going after top recruits. When your third best target for 2015 is a 3.3 star...that is not acceptable for the BEast. Unless something changes, I think they will be a perpetual bottomfeeder.
TAMU

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 04:40:23 PM »
Dude, you have the world's biggest hate woody for CBB. There was no need for this post. This thread had nothing to do with Crean or Indiana. You made it about them.
You're wrong.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 04:45:01 PM »
You're wrong.

Doing a quick CTL+F of IU, Indiana, Tom, Tommy, and Crean show that the only posters who have mentioned them are Jman and you....so I would say yes, this thread had nothing to do with them before the aforementioned post
TAMU

feedback